Non-Key Tweets | Page 212 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think it's the fee that I think is of greater concern here and perhaps the poster was lumping the two together.

But as for contracting out media rights I can see the TV people wanting a GoR in place before discussing the bottom line with a conference. Otherwise they can't be sure of what they're getting as schools could take that number and shop around. Perhaps some schools would want out regardless, but last time around the networks came up with some crazy money to keep conferences together. All that to basically say that changing conferences is "complicated" because you don't know what you might get from your current conference without signing the GoR..

That could be, but there is a clear difference between a GoR and an exit fee. One is you have to pay to leave. The other is the conference holds your media rights. Big difference. The reason The Big12 got such crazy numbers, in my opinion, was two fold. ESPN wanted to keep Texas in their inventory and Fox needed inventory. ESPN already has Texas and no one outside the region seems to care about any other Big12 football school sans Oklahoma.

Would Kansas and Oklahoma want to leave the Big12? Couldn't tell you. I think that there would be a couple of reasons for OU and KU to stay: tradition and, for OU, Texas recruiting. The issue with the tradition is that if The Big10 had Mizzou to go along with Nebraska, they would have more of their traditional rivals than the Big12 would. Half of the old Big8 would be in the Big1o. The exposure that would come with the Big10 would be great. Oklahoma games played on The BTN shown in NYC, Chicago, DC, and other densely populated places. The money would be outrageous.

Again, I think it's all moot anyway. Mizzou will stay in the SEC leaving this scenario out in Crazytown.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know the pod when you see it.

Nebraska signs up to play Iowa, Minnesota and Purdue every year.
But UConn would sign up for that. We could be the Bad News Pod.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But UConn would sign up for that. We could be the Bad News Pod.

We'd sign up for a pod from the movie Cocoon if it came with Big 10 money.

Hey Penn State you can be in a pod with UConn, Maryland and Rutgers. That brings Michigan and Ohio State to Happy Valley less often than leap year.

Pods. LOL.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Mizzou will stay in the SEC

All you have to do is ignore this simple fact and 3 year old AM radio conversations are super interesting.

The media is sitting on the story!

Reaction Score
If the B12 needs a 3/4 vote to extend the GoR, then with 10 schools UT/KU/OU can block extension and give themselves the chance to test the market, but with 12 schools the other 9 could impose a huge exit fee / GoR on them.

The act of asking colleges to re-up early on the GOR will make individual institutions intentions clearer for the conferences for sure. Has it ever been reported what the vote percentage would be needed to be to pass?

There is a lot of pressure to vote with the pack when you have 3-5 years left on an original GOR. I get the b-12 is vulnerable but it could also be argued that Texas has more reasons to want to keep the conference together.

I am just saying Evernote thinks the end of the GOR will start everything up again. The reality seems it is just as likely that a new GOR will be signed to extend everybody.

If the GOR is like the ACC's, it is not like a Bylaw change. The Bylaws are voted on because they bind the entire conference.

The GOR is an individual contract signed by each individual school and thus no vote as in a conference action. ESPN required that all ACC programs sign a GOR for the bump in the media contract.

If a program does not want to reup on a grants assignment contract, I don't see how the votes of other conference members would affect that. But, such a program would have to have an exit planned, since the conference's media partner might require all programs in the conference to have a GOR.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Pods, but with rotating members. Each school has a rival that it is paired with every year, and pairs jump pods. Or something.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pods, but with rotating members. Each school has a rival that it is paired with every year, and pairs jump pods. Or something.
There would be four pods of four, which for a sport like hoops would be a pretty seamless move from two divisions of six or seven schools. For football I imagine the best solution would be to rotate which pods are paired up to make an eight member division; year one it would be pods A&B in one division, C&D in the other, year two pods A&C and B&D, etc. as the years go on.

This is far from perfect, in terms to what most conferences historically were and what the B1G always claimed it held dear but that ship fired up its engines when the B1G invaded Pennsylvania, pulled anchor and untied its moorings when Nebraska was added and left the port with Maryland and Rutgers in the fold.

Reaction Score
Pods could also be used for scheduling purposes with 2 actual divisions. The pods that were matched against each other in a given year would form the divisions.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · Apr 17
On Monday we’ll talk B1G and expansion including info from a convo yesterday with B1G source.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 5h5 hours ago
@SpencerLeone For B1G? Next year is the year leading up to primary TV deal. They want Va & NC markets in footprint.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV
@SpencerLeone The B1G needs a southern presence. UVA & GT are the top targets along with Duke.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 4h4 hours ago
@SpencerLeone UVA is a natural. But UVA has less need than GT.

@SpencerLeone But UNC does have need. So does Miami. The scandal at UNC tarnishes their value to the B1G.

@SpencerLeone So I see nothing happening except maybe UCONN to the ACC & that’s a long shot.

pj

Reaction Score
The idea that Ga Tech and Duke have surpassed UNC in value to the B1G is loony tunes.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 2h2 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush I spoke to my B1G contact last week. He was the one who said UCONN wasn't on the radar for various reasons.

@Expansion_Crush More than just lack of AAU status... capacity, football, the recent APR ban, DMA redundancy.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 2h 2 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush No one has yet to give a valid reason why UCONN is on the B1G's radar.

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball · 49m49 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @SpencerLeone @GregGregoryKJ @posas13 @TimeJim uconn IS a candidate as the New England school

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball · 49m49 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @SpencerLeone @GregGregoryKJ @posas13 @TimeJim IF they bring Boston it's a huge add

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball · 48m48 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @SpencerLeone @GregGregoryKJ @posas13 @TimeJim But they are definitely in mix for B1G.

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball · 47m47 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @SpencerLeone @GregGregoryKJ @posas13 @TimeJim difference is wvu glorified juco, uconn world class academics

@OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush Here's the harsh facts regarding UCONN.

@OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush 1. Their football program lacks the necessary pedigree.

@OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush 2. UCONN lacks AAU status. 3. UCONN's market devalued by RU in B1G footprint.

@OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush 4. APR ban a black mark on hoops program.

@OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush 5. UCONN doesn't provide entry into rich Southern recruiting grounds.

@OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush Future of both football and basketball programs at UCONN not certain. Football coach hire & ....

how Huskie hoops will perform post Calhoun add uncertainty to brand.

@Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 Yea... note that all the reasons I cited came from B1G source.

@Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 Personally I had forgot about APR ban Calhoun.

@SpencerLeone WVU is upgrading facilities. it's what keep WVU from the SEC. Do you know UCONN's avg football attendance?

@gampel_2_msg With Calhoun's players... what did UCONN do last season?

Storrs South ‏@gampel_2_msg · 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Ollie was the assistant who helped recruit those players

@SpencerLeone I'm certain that UCONN approached the B1G as they did the B12 and ACC.

@SpencerLeone But just like all the other AAC schools the math doesn't support the addition.

@SpencerLeone Counter with just one metric that evaluates to true to justifies UCONN.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 1h1 hour ago
@SpencerLeone PSU isn't going to take a pay cut to play UCONN in football.

@SpencerLeone The last time I looked OSU was closer to PSU than UCONN. So is RU & UMD.

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball · 57m57 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @SpencerLeone PSU loves playing in Boston and NYC markets

@SpencerLeone Is UCONN AAU? Was UCONN on a APR ban? How long has UCONN been playing FBS football? What's the avg TV rating for football?

@SpencerLeone Why does UCONN require nearly an $18m subsidy?

Spencer Leone ‏@SpencerLeone · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV That did not stop Rutgers

@SpencerLeone RU added super $ to the BTN. RU's addition closed the door on UCONN to the B1G.

Spencer Leone ‏@SpencerLeone · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV I wouldnt be certain. I would expect at least 1 more team in the east

@SpencerLeone Why does the B1G need a team in the east? They have the most valuable markets in the east - aside from Boston - locked down.

@SpencerLeone What does the east do for the B1G? The VA & NC markets are far more valuable.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV @SpencerLeone B1G can't get into VA/NC markets as they wished they could. UCONN rings the BB ratings bell in NYC. = value

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV @SpencerLeone Best available value in the East that fits the BTN is UCONN. UCONN has money issues...but so does Rutgers

@SpencerLeone How does a program requiring an $18M subsidy have a valuation reaching nearly $50 million TV revenues?

@SpencerLeone How does UCONN provide enough value to BTN to offset the fact that UCONN couldn't meet the B12's $25M pro rata?

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV @SpencerLeone BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND, NYC.

@SpencerLeone How would UCONN pay for expansion of the football stadium to accommodate B1G football? How would UCONN compete?

Spencer Leone ‏@SpencerLeone · 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV UConn has a roadmap for 2020 posted online. As far as stadium I suspect more state funds

@SpencerLeone Then get back to me in 2021.

@SpencerLeone How does Rutgers affect UCONN's media worth when UCONN football is
virtually worthless?

@SpencerLeone How will UCONN achieve AAU status? When?

Expansion Crush ‏@Expansion_Crush · 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV
I think our conversations are getting crossed. Spence is shotgunning the conversation

@Expansion_Crush I'm about to block him. I don't debate opinion when the facts support another valid conclusion.

@theDudeofWV @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush think alumni locations dummy

@Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @OmegaSupreme914 mid Atlantic like who? PSU has over 10 times alumni in uconn markets than do in unc/va

Christopher Lambert retweeted
Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub

@OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @SpencerLeone @knightbengal @GregGregoryKJ @posas13 the AAU is getting smaller not expanding

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 3m 3 minutes ago
@NebGradDubDub Wow.... common sense in a twitter discussion. How completely novel.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3m 3 minutes ago
@NebGradDubDub @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @@posas13 AAU is not going to dictate the total window to the Big Ten

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2m 2 minutes ago
@NebGradDubDub @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @posas13 The voting body of the AAU ( Total AAU) does not have control of B1G

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 29s 29 seconds ago
@NebGradDubDub @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @posas13 JD has said not all expansion will be another "PSU&NEB" or there..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1m 1 minute ago
@NebGradDubDub @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @posas13 ..wouldn't be anymore expansion. JD also said we would look at..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 50s 51 seconds ago
@NebGradDubDub @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @posas13 ...AAU members FIRST!!!... He did not say ONLY.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1m 1 minute ago
@NebGradDubDub @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @posas13 JD said we would look at continuous states FIRST!!!..not ONLY

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Husky92 said:
Why do I still tune in here everyday and read this drivel? I don't know, but I do. ...

I read it for entertainment purposes. When I see breaking news on TV networks about us joining another conference is when I'll believe any of this stuff.

That said, I think the Dude has been hitting the moonshine pretty hard this weekend.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unfollowed that dude. Life is better without his minutiae popping up in your twitter feed.
You don't have to follow him on Twitter, when the things related to UConn are posted here almost immediately.

Reaction Score
DMA redundancy? Wtf is he thinking? We are a top 30 DMA on our own and Btn is not on basic in Fairfield county. Then what will we do post Calhoun? We won a feckin national title. The dood and his source are morons.

No to mention the APR issue. If that true the B1G off, imagine what they think about UNC right now and we all know the B1G would grab UNC if it could be pried away from the ACC, which I have my doubts.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'd be pissed at the dude except he knows nothing, has no real info, knows no real truth... Like a million other attention starved trolls. Just not worth spending a thought on.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
@NebGradDubDub @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @@posas13 AAU is not going to dictate the total window to the Big Ten

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
@NebGradDubDub @OmegaSupreme914 @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @posas13 ..but B1G not beholden to AAU for options in expansion.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 54m54 minutes ago
@flugempire Greg with all due respect that's just not true. What did the B1G tell FSU. AAU is a requirement. B1G is on record.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 50m50 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV FSU falls short on B1G profile. So do some on current AAU list. AAU votes on entry do not control B1G future Exp candidates

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 49m49 minutes ago
@flugempire Greg... the Big Ten is on public record saying AAU status is a must. Case closed.

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV Cased closed? When you say that to people when discussing issues its to stop discussion. I'm not into closing cases.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire
· 34m 34 minutes ago
If AAU was mandatory for expansion candidates, Delany said, "We're not there. I'm not going to qualify or disqualify, but it's a very im..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 34m 34 minutes ago
..."very important factor"

Greg Flugaur @flugempire
· 31m 31 minutes ago
For those who believe AAU status is required without question to gain invite to Big Ten would need to believe the Big Ten never wanted ND

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 29m 29 minutes ago
AAU status is a important factor..but it's not game set match to being qualified for a Big Ten invite. Qualifications do not stop & startAAU

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 22m 22 minutes ago
@SpencerLeone You need to match..be close to Big Ten profile. But AAU does not control the Big Ten list of candidates.

Reaction Score
Flug doesn't even have 300 followers. Why does his stuff keep getting reposted here? Maybe he is one of you guys and you're pulling off a perfectly executed troll. If so, well done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom