Non-Key Tweets | Page 203 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
cl82, I overthink everything. A working brain. No work.

Regarding the road improvements: Heard a rumor that the B1G analysis of UConn indicated the transportation infrastructure could be improved.

Not being familiar with the lay of the land, so to speak, specifics mean nothing to me, but if road improvements around the campus and venues suddenly become a priority, I would take it as one more positive sign. That's all.
"Heard a rumor that the B1G analysis of UConn indicated the transportation infrastructure could be improved."

What does that even mean? Of course "transportation infrastructure" (or perhaps more simply "roads") could be improved why would that matter to the B1G? Any context?

[I haven't entirely ruled out the "hacked account" thing, all of sudden you are sounding kind of trolly. But you've been a good guest with a decent track record, so you get the benefit of the doubt.]

CL82

Reaction Score
Anti-highway? We must live in two different states...that we are this densely populated with this bad of public transportation is boggling. If anything, we have been too focused on the highway for 50 years.

And NJ actually disproves your point. NJ is densely populated due to mass transit (PATH, NJT and Amtrack) more than highways.
Yep life moves at pretty slow pace here in Jersey. Why here I am making moring commute.
th

Reaction Score
The PATH does not go to Rutgers. So the answer is 0.

PATH ends in Newark, though the Port Authority is pushing it to be extended to Newark Liberty Airport, which I think is a waste of money as the trains go there already.

NJ Transit (Commuter Rail) does go to Rutger's 'old' campus in downtown new Brunswick. From there, one has to take a campus bus to get to the other campuses that are scattered around a 10 miles radius from that point. I believe the Rutgers campus bus network is the 2nd biggest bus network in the state after NJ transit, which shows you how odd that school is.

http://rudots.rutgers.edu/campusbuses.shtml#maps

Reaction Score
I believe that a new, wider road will be built through the Tech Park connecting campus to US 44 and bypassing Route 195; but a highway connecting Storrs is a pipe dream at this point just on money alone. The next big CT highway project after the Q Bridge work in New Haven is done is replacing the I-85 viaduct between West Hartford and downtown Hartford. The 5 mile project alone si going to cost north of $5 billion it seems.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-hartford-malloy-i-84-0407-20150406-story.html

After that, I expect I-84 in Waterbury (the Mixmaster) and hopefully an attempt to widen I-84 from 2 to 3 lanes between Waterbruy and Danbury will be in the works.

This new road is under construction right now, and has been expected to be the new main entrance to campus for decades - that's why the Visitors Center is where it is.

Reaction Score
You forgot "hideously expensive, not needed, and redundant with a railroad track right next to it"

No to mention is what happens to it if Amtrak somehow pulls a rabbit out of it's hat in the next twenty years and gets the money to build an exclusive high-speed rail line between Boston and New York via the 'inland' route that it wants. The proposed inland route splits from the current line in New Rochelle NY and travel north to Danbury then across Waterbury and Hartford on its way to Providence where would link back-up with the current Amtrak 'shore' line. That path includes the right-of-way that FastTrack currently uses between New Britain and Hartford.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
TruDomGopher said:
cl82, I overthink everything. A working brain. No work.

Regarding the road improvements: Heard a rumor that the B1G analysis of UConn indicated the transportation infrastructure could be improved.

Not being familiar with the lay of the land, so to speak, specifics mean nothing to me, but if road improvements around the campus and venues suddenly become a priority, I would take it as one more positive sign. That's all.

If you want to over simplify things you can break it down in to motorized and non-motorized transit. Urban settings require more of the later.

You then break down motorized transit into auto and mass transit. Having a mature mass transit system exponentially increases access and allows for greater density. It's usually not an issue for colleges, unless you don't play games on Campus, ahem.

For autos, you have various levels of access but for simplicity sake you can call them Interstate and non-interstate (local). To maximize accessibility, you need the correct mix, especially if you can't support full interstate access.

Now in CT, we were amongst the first to build highways, (1936). And not knowing what the 20th century would bring, we simply built along old trade/postal routes from large city to large city.

That means every damn, highway in the state goes right through the most densely populated part of every city and town and when two highways meet (84/91, 91/95, 84/8, etc) it happens right in the city center. Not going to the city center? F-u, you must cram in there with everyone who is.

Systems out west generally have a route around the downtown, or a ring road around the metro area, in addition to the routes into the melee.

Uconn's problem is it is disconnect from both Industry, population, and technology that resides in the state. Transportation is the solution to that.

ESPN has been in the state for 35 years, NBC SPORTS is too. You'd think Uconn would sending a hundred interns and coops there every year from the communications dept, or the business dept, or the IT/CS/Engineering depts.

Same for United Technologies, the Ins. Co., the financial institutions. Storrs would be a 2 hr train ride to Wall Street if it existed or a 30 min ride to Hartford.

And it's not just students. Faculty and researchers would have greater access to these industry's and many others. It is a PITA, to get to Storrs from anywhere west or south of Hartford. That doesn't have an effect?

Forget about football, a light rail or busway into Hartford would roll right through the parking lot. The bus way busses could probably pack 150-200 kids a piece. The trip would take under 30 minute campus to gate, no waiting. That wouldn't help attendance?

So, when the Big Ten says transportation, that's what they mean.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
UConn9604 said:
This new road is under construction right now, and has been expected to be the new main entrance to campus for decades - that's why the Visitors Center is where it is.

Not exactly, the powers that be see Mirror Lake side as the front door to campus.

The 44 access is a long overdue condition of the Uconn 2000 build out and the tech park. The main benefit is relief for the four corners area, but it's a band aid at best. 195 needs a boost.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Not exactly, the powers that be see Mirror Lake side as the front door to campus.

The 44 access is a long overdue condition of the Uconn 2000 build out and the tech park. The main benefit is relief for the four corners area, but it's a band aid at best. 195 needs a boost.
9.5 miles of road from 384 to the depot campus.

It might as well be the Trans-Siberian highway as far as the likelihood it will ever be upgraded.

Reaction Score

We're both right, actually. This environmental statement alternates between calling the North Hillside Road extension an "alternative entrance," a "main University entrance," "alternate entrance," a "more direct route and gateway entrance" and "a new gateway entrance."

http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents/denviro/UConn_FEIS_120911.pdf

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"Heard a rumor that the B1G analysis of UConn indicated the transportation infrastructure could be improved."

What does that even mean? Of course "transportation infrastructure" (or perhaps more simply "roads") could be improved why would that matter to the B1G? Any context?

[I haven't entirely ruled out the "hacked account" thing, all of sudden you are sounding kind of trolly. But you've been a good guest with a decent track record, so you get the benefit of the doubt.]

It's complete nonsense.

CL82

Reaction Score
So, when the Big Ten says transportation, that's what they mean.
I don't think we've established that B1G said anything of the kind, but interesting post nonetheless.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
UConn9604 said:
We're both right, actually. This environmental statement alternates between calling the North Hillside Road extension an "alternative entrance," a "main University entrance," "alternate entrance," a "more direct route and gateway entrance" and "a new gateway entrance."

http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents/denviro/UConn_FEIS_120911.pdf

That statement was made as justification of the project for environmental permitting. There is no intent to make the tech park the front door to campus. Many will but that's not the idea.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2h 2 hours ago
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/other-sports/2015/04/10/Rutgers-Maryland-exceed-Big-Ten-conference-expectations/stories/201504100297… And this is why Big Ten Expansion 4-5 years from now is not dead. Not even close. Success breeds expansion.

Reaction Score

After I saw this post, I went to Flug's twitter thread and saw that there is an excellent article linked in which Rutger's Barchi talks about the Big Ten. I'm not going to link it, you know--since it's them but for anyone that really wants to understand how the B1G thinks, operates, and so on, it has a lot of outstanding information and I would commend it to anyone interested.

Reaction Score
gs ‏@gss2003 · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @jonnew some chatter that maybe B1G and UConn has something close. U hearing anything potentially on this?

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV
@gss2003 @jonnew No... zero, zilch, nada... nothing...

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV
@gss2003 @jonnew I really doubt it since UCONN would be almost redundant to the BTN. Everything I hear says ACC....

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV
@gss2003 @jonnew Now the ACC.... that's a possibility....

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Redundant to the BTN? That's kind of dopey, IMO. However, I do see the scenario that when one conference begins to show interest, the other conference will begin to ramp up their efforts as well..

Reaction Score
gs ‏@gss2003 · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @jonnew some chatter that maybe B1G and UConn has something close. U hearing anything potentially on this?

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV
@gss2003 @jonnew No... zero, zilch, nada... nothing...

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV
@gss2003 @jonnew I really doubt it since UCONN would be almost redundant to the BTN. Everything I hear says ACC....

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV
@gss2003 @jonnew Now the ACC.... that's a possibility....
How is this redundant? BTN is on my network but I have to subscribe? I have cablevision in Fairfield county. UConn goes to the B1G then I pay for it or it goes on basic and the BTN receives fees for every household. He really has no clue.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
How is this redundant? BTN is on my network but I have to subscribe? I have cablevision in Fairfield county. UConn goes to the B1G then I pay for it or it goes on basic and the BTN receives fees for every household. He really has no clue.

Not to mention he responded to his own tweet...

Reaction Score
Dude using the word redundant is like Vizzini from The Primcess Bride using the word 'inconceivable'. Dude, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3h 3 hours ago
I've been asked If I have heard anything on a possible Delany/Uconn deal that is in the works....no I have not. But I know they have talked

The Uconn candidacy to the Big Ten is one of the most misunderstood relationship there is in expansion talk. Big Ten thinks highly of Uconn

I'm going to go through the positives about a Uconn candidacy to the Big Ten..and then the hurdles. Positive list is much longer.

Positives: Uconn is going to be supported/promoted by the state of CT for the next 100 years. Simple but so important. Uconn is CT-Flagship

Positive: Rutgers was always...always going to be chosen first over Uconn. Well, that has happen. Rutgers entry into Big Ten needed...

...to be financially successful. It has been more successful than people have a clue about...success for Fox/BTN/B1G. It's true

Positive: Fox 21st Century buying YES. This is also important to a Uconn candidacy...grease the skids for easy BTN access/basic in CT

Hell...YES runs some of their organization out of CT. DMA: This issue is something that I was wrong about..and was corrected by B1G contact

UConn DMA is seprate enough from Rutgers and Penn St. There is enough juice in Uconn DMA to pay for itself..especially regarding BTN...

...BTN and it's model. But I've talked about that before and don't want to waste time tonight...but I think most of you understand Uconn..

....value as it pertains to inducing live content which attracts eyeballs on the BTN. But there are other positives in a Uconn candidacy...

Uconn has a growing bandwith of sports...very important to the Big Ten. It's sports programs are diversed. Very important.

And let's be blunt...Uconn has money. It's people will pay for Uconn sports in Uconn sport packages.

Uconn research is now being backed by the state of Uconn in epic proportion. Uconn is becoming more involved in cancer research...B1G likes

If Big Ten can't crack open P5...which my guys say they can't for years...but if economics propels expansion..well

3 negatives: 1) Bad football demographics (recruiting) 2) currently not big enough research dollars 3) timing is wrong for now.

Uconn not being a big football brand is not a negative...not for Big Ten FB East.

But the DMA of a Uconn candidacy is what is most misunderstood. It has enough juice

The simple economic raging success of the BTN (which many still don't get) demands expansion...craves it. This is why a Uconn candidacy...

...is real. I've been told the time is not now. But when this stuff happens it happens fast. Maryland non-disclosure agreement with B1G..

...lasted about 34 days...that's what I was told. If I hear anything I will spill it in a heartbeat...bad or good news.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom