Non-Key Tweets | Page 201 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
buddy, at the same time I joined boneyard, I joined a Rutgers board--based on my belief that Rutgers and UConn were going to be in the B1G. So far, the only thing I've gotten right in realignment was Rutgers. The reason: when I was at Minnesota in the late 70's/early 80's a prof told me then that Rutgers would be in the Big Ten someday. Had nothing to do with sports and everything to do with research. There was already cooperative research back then, and Rutgers was highly respected at the Twin Cities (and I would guess by other B1G schools, too). Actually, the Nebraska add surprised me because I thought the first add would be Rutgers. And I'm sure some people think I harp too much about academics and research, but it really is important to the B1G.

The B1G has regarded Rutgers as a champion for a long time--too bad it doesn't filter down to the athletic department.

As for UConn--everything has to come together, and it is coming together. You should be on your knees every night thanking the Almighty that you have Herbst because she really seems to understand what needs to be done and appears to be doing everything in her power to get it done.

If it weren't for the power of those UConn championships, this conversation doesn't happen. It's all important: academics and athletics feed each other. Championships alone have no value to the B1G, (that's what the SEC is for) but as a piece of the puzzle in the endless chase for research money and students, they are important because of the increased exposure, make it easier for the athletic departments to fund themselves, and make it easier to sell B1G schools for research funding.

But, if you ever get the chance, pull Delany aside and tell him that you don't think championships are that important to the B1G--I'd really like to know what he'd say.
I stand by my words. If athletic championships matter to the B1G, then what is RU doing there? The B1G may have regarded them as champions for a long time, but factually they are not and likely will not be for a long long time, if ever. I do believe that ultimately UConn will land in the ACC and when that happens that conference will take a huge stride in really dominating the Northeast. Hopefully they will realize it sooner rather than later, once FSU and BC come to their senses. RU alone will just not do it for the B1G.

Reaction Score
I stand by my words. If athletic championships matter to the B1G, then what is RU doing there? The B1G may have regarded them as champions for a long time, but factually they are not and likely will not be for a long long time, if ever. I do believe that ultimately UConn will land in the ACC and when that happens that conference will take a huge stride in really dominating the Northeast. Hopefully they will realize it sooner rather than later, once FSU and BC come to their senses. RU alone will just not do it for the B1G.

So we agree.

Reaction Score

I have a question: Do you want UConn to be a Big Ten school or Louisville, East? This is getting too weird for me--I'm on a UConn board arguing that UConn is B1G material and being told, "No, we're really more a Louisville wannabe. . ."

I'm going to bed. I just use Louisville and wannabe in the same sentence.

Reaction Score
B1G football in East Hartford would do far more than the ACC in East Hartford. It would most absolutely resonate through New England, not just Connecticut. Midwest culture ties in perfectly with New England culture, since the some of the Midwest was New England spreading west! UConn would instantly succeed at least in atmosphere. If we can go back to being competitive as we were under Edsall, my guess is we'll have a waiting list for UConn football season tickets.

Reaction Score
I have a question: Do you want UConn to be a Big Ten school or Louisville, East? This is getting too weird for me--I'm on a UConn board arguing that UConn is B1G material and being told, "No, we're really more a Louisville wannabe. . ."

Well...Louisville just finished Top 25 in the Football AP again and Top 10 in the Coaches Basketball Poll.....there are worse things than wanting to have two good programs.

Geography aside, Louisville is consistently in the Top 25 and is decent in basketball as well,

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At this point, I would trade Geno to Ohio State in exchange for membership.

Reaction Score
Well...Louisville just finished Top 25 in the Football AP again and Top 10 in the Coaches Basketball Poll.....there are worse things than wanting to have two good programs.

Geography aside, Louisville is consistently in the Top 25 and is decent in basketball as well,
Would you rather have the Ivy League be the Ivy League or be the Ivy League and a community college with a top 25 basketball program?

pj

Reaction Score
The basketball-only fans can only remember all the old rivalries with schools now in the ACC, and that tempts them to think it a good destination. But the B1G is better in every way except old rivalries. New rivalries would form.

Reaction Score
We are worth more to the Big Ten not being in the ACC then being in the Big Ten. We are worth more to the ACC not being in the Big Ten than being in the ACC. I have no idea when or if either might come calling. But I bet you each has asked itself "do we move immediately on UConn" if we think the other may call them.

Man I hope you are right. My skepticism stems mainly from the fact that were those motivations particularly strong we would be in one of those conferences by now.

I do think UCONN in the BiG duck*s BC and Cuse - putting them on a barren island. Of course neither of those institutions seems to share that concern.

Reaction Score
B1G football in East Hartford would do far more than the ACC in East Hartford. It would most absolutely resonate through New England, not just Connecticut. Midwest culture ties in perfectly with New England culture, since the some of the Midwest was New England spreading west! UConn would instantly succeed at least in atmosphere. If we can go back to being competitive as we were under Edsall, my guess is we'll have a waiting list for UConn football season tickets.
Agree about the competition aspect having a positive effect on ticket sales. We will begin to see pieces of the puzzle on Saturday. AND, my thought on positive effects for UConn if admitted to the B1G: Instant sellouts of home games at current 40K capacity, immediate plans of temp. seating additions for home games with traditional B1G powerhouses (see Michigan game 2013), immediate start of construction of RENT expansion. Side effect: Annual dates with Snooki. Basically, if UConn were admitted to the B1G, there would be nothing but positive effects on the Husky football program.

Reaction Score
I do think UCONN in the BiG duck*s BC and Cuse - putting them on a barren island. Of course neither of those institutions seems to share that concern.
They are very concerned. Enough to elicit a powerful fear to the point eyes open and jaws drop when you mention UConn going to the B1G.

Why the heck do you think fans from schools around us troll us and we don't need to troll them? Our trophy case does the trolling for us.

Reaction Score

It's not just their lack of championships - Rutgers just generally stinks at everything. More like a lack of victories, in general.

Reaction Score
It's not just their lack of championships - Rutgers just generally stinks at everything. More like a lack of victories, in general.

Everything? It's not always so back and white. How is it that Rutgers is AAU? Did Rutgers play their CR cards properly? Now if you want to say that Rutgers lacks athletic success while being located in fertile recruiting grounds for both basketball and football, then we agree. I understand that the school just happens to be the right DMA geo, but they did something right when it came to realignment. The same can be said for Ville.

Reaction Score
Everything? It's not always so back and white. How is it that Rutgers is AAU? Did Rutgers play their CR cards properly? Now if you want to say that Rutgers lacks athletic success while being located in fertile recruiting grounds for both basketball and football, then we agree. I understand that the school just happens to be the right DMA geo, but they did something right when it came to realignment. The same can be said for Ville.

I really think Rutgers did two things, and two alone, to get nabbed by the Big Ten. The first was choosing to build its campuses in East Brunswick, New Jersey, and the second was to make the AAU over two centuries later in 1989. That's it.

It is silly to think that Rutgers is in an athletic league based on their location and their status in an academic league - which is like choosing your tax preparer based on the color of his socks - but it's not like they can point to any one athletic achievement that got them in.

Reaction Score

Of course I want UConn in the B1G, but is it truly realistic? AAU membership is decades away. The ACC took Louisville because of athletic excellence and that only. Championships matter to the ACC. Not academics. RU is below UConn in academic ranking, except for AAU membership. RU is below UConn is overall athletic ranking. UConn football will improve and surpass RU. I have no doubt about that. Yet, all we hear is silence from the P5 when it comes to UConn.

Reaction Score
The day UConn gets a P5 invite, season tickets will sell out immediately.

Reaction Score
Man I hope you are right. My skepticism stems mainly from the fact that were those motivations particularly strong we would be in one of those conferences by now.

BC will survive as its considered a top undergraduate school and will always have hockey and serve a select market, i.e. kids who could not get into ND (just like St Anslem's in NH is for kids who can't get into BC) or local Boston Catholics who view it as a religious obligation to go to a Catholic university and are too afraid to leave the 'hub' of the universe. Syracuse would be screwed with 2 state flagship universities in the B1G, that are cheaper, and strong research-wise (STEM), have extensive D1 sports programs, and are closer to NYC than they are. They have nothing left to offer.

Reaction Score
any students here? we have plenty of ideas, suggestions, and questions.
UConn
41 mins ·
President Susan Herbst is inviting students to visit her office and share ideas, suggestions, and questions at a special session of open office hours from 1 to 3 p.m. on Monday, April 13. Reservations are not necessary, but guests are limited to UConn students.

grad student here...send your questions my way

Reaction Score
I really think Rutgers did two things, and two alone, to get nabbed by the Big Ten. The first was choosing to build its campuses in East Brunswick, New Jersey, and the second was to make the AAU over two centuries later in 1989. That's it.

It is silly to think that Rutgers is in an athletic league based on their location and their status in an academic league - which is like choosing your tax preparer based on the color of his socks - but it's not like they can point to any one athletic achievement that got them in.

I agree with everything you wrote. They leveraged what they had and are now in a P5. If you want to say they did not screw up their chance to get to the B1G, I can go with too. Regardless of how long it too them to attain AAU, they got it done and we have not. Not everything they have done to this point is useless. That would also be silly.

Reaction Score

Rutgers is a very good school with similar student demographics to UConn. They just suffer from a lot of leadership ineptitude, especially on the athletic side. It was no coincidence that most of their recent success was when Pernetti was the AD, a competent AD who had Rutgers in his blood. Of course, he was then thrown under the bus and replaced by someone who makes Hathaway look effective as he was at least smart enough to keep his mouth shut most of the time. Does not help that the Rutgers' Regents and professor's union believe that the Athletic department is the second coming of Lucifer.

Reaction Score

Looking at the long view, Rutgers also greatly benefited from the State of New York and their University system. Instead of pushing or 4 'regional' flagship universities, New York went with a single flagship (Albany or Binghamton) life most states did. Figure a 60K school, major research dollars in state that generally values academics. If they had any success at all in sports, such a school would be in the B1G in a heartbeat. Only question is if there would be additional room for Rutgers, too. Oh, Syracuse under such a scenario would be DOA.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Looking at the long view, Rutgers also greatly benefited from the State of New York and their University system. Instead of pushing or 4 'regional' flagship universities, New York went with a single flagship (Albany or Binghamton) life most states did. Figure a 60K school, major research dollars in state that generally values academics. If they had any success at all in sports, such a school would be in the B1G in a heartbeat. Only question is if there would be additional room for Rutgers, too. Oh, Syracuse under such a scenario would be DOA.

That's what Buffalo is trying to do, become the flagship of the state. Whether they succeed of not is a different story.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom