Non-Key Tweets | Page 150 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I know its been talked about ad nauseum on these boards, but I would still rather hold out for UConn -> B1G. I'm OK with righting the football ship in the AAC for the short term. Hopefully a B1G invite is 2-5 years away. I totally understand the B12 lifeboat argument, but I'm a gambling man, I guess.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I know its been talked about ad nauseum on these boards, but I would still rather hold out for UConn -> B1G. I'm OK with righting the football ship in the AAC for the short term. Hopefully a B1G invite is 2-5 years away. I totally understand the B12 lifeboat argument, but I'm a gambling man, I guess.
While I agree with this general sentiment, losing Cinci and UCF only turns up the heat in the dumpster fire known as the AAC. With each defection the life raft drifts further off in to the horizon.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If (IF!) Cinci and UCF were to leave, I think UCONN's only play would be to form some sort of G5 alliance with the BYU, Boise State, and other top G5 schools for scheduling. I'm talking annual games against these teams, even if it means all revenue sports home and aways.

But I'll believe B12 expansion when I see it. I think that is a dead conference walking just biding their time until the heavyweights (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas) decide they've had their fill and leave for greener pastures.

Reaction Score
How long would it take NYU to get a B1G invite if it decided to bring back varsity football? Private school in NYC with a BIG B1G profile.

Reaction Score
How long would it take NYU to get a B1G invite if it decided to bring back varsity football? Private school in NYC with a BIG B1G profile.
Buffalo has a better chance. They are re-branding themselves as UNY (University of NY) and are already AAU. Stony Brook is too but with much less of a following and alumni.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This may not be as bad as you might think. The goal FB wise is to be the perennial AAC champ while we are here and get the G5 bowl slot.

The AAC will kill the program eventually, but if not playing Cincy every year means another win, I'm good with that for a while.

Assuming we do end up in P5.

Reaction Score
This may not be as bad as you might think. The goal FB wise is to be the perennial AAC champ while we are here and get the G5 bowl slot.

The AAC will kill the program eventually, but if not playing Cincy every year means another win, I'm good with that for a while.

Assuming we do end up in P5.
The AAC is not a great football conference, but it is good enough to keep UCONN from winning a championship anytime soon, let alone perennially.

pj

Reaction Score
The AAC is not a great football conference, but it is good enough to keep UCONN from winning a championship anytime soon, let alone perennially.

I disagree. The rest of the AAC is smack in the middle of P5 programs. We have a 35 million population region consisting of us, BC, and Cuse, and BC and Cuse have feeble regional attraction. If we can build up football cachet we have the local recruiting area to find athletes, train them up, and outcompete the rest of the AAC who are relying on leftovers from the SEC/B12/ACC.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The rest of the AAC is smack in the middle of P5 programs. We have a 35 million population region consisting of us, BC, and Cuse, and BC and Cuse have feeble regional attraction. If we can build up football cachet we have the local recruiting area to find athletes, train them up, and outcompete the rest of the AAC who are relying on leftovers from the SEC/B12/ACC.
One, if you are relying on just local recruiting, we are dead in the water. Two, CR has made BC, Cuse, and Rutgers much more attractive than UCONN. UCONN is at a far disadvantage to any P5 eastern school.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 31m31 minutes ago
Delany's #1 goal in deregulation is to free up Big 10 from the mandate of all schools within a division having to all play each other yearly

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 29m29 minutes ago
As of now, under the NCAA rules, teams within a division must all play each other yearly. Delany wants to give Big 10 a future option in..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 24m24 minutes ago
...flexibility in scheduling within Conference Games. Motivation is triple fold.1) Guarantee teams playing each at least once within 3 years

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 20m20 minutes ago
2) Flexibility in scheduling increases value. 3) Gains ability to expand conference. Example: 9 teams in 2 Div. 7 Inter games. 3 crossover

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 18m18 minutes ago
More expansion is in the future of the Big 10. Delany looking at ways to make it more feasible. Don't over look this upcoming deregulation.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 18m18 minutes ago
Delany will target the current rule of all division teams having to all play each other (round robin) and will try to eliminate the rule.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 17m17 minutes ago
Many will ask why did Delany want this?.....for all the rule changes why was this one important to him? I just told you why. Its happening

pj

Reaction Score
One, if you are relying on just local recruiting, we are dead in the water. Two, CR has made BC, Cuse, and Rutgers much more attractive than UCONN. UCONN is at a far disadvantage to any P5 eastern school.

Maybe ... but the point is that Tulane, Houston, and SMU are much less attractive than Texas, A&M, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, and Alabama. UCF and USF are much less attractive than Florida, FSU, Miami, Georgia, Ga Tech, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina, Clemson. and so on. I like our chances to compete BC, Cuse, and Rutgers more than the southern AAC schools to compete with those.

Our recruiting area is not football-player-rich but it is athlete rich and it is not as well scouted or recruited as other parts of the country. There is room for local football to grow.

We're talking about winning the AAC here, not being better than BC, Cuse, and Rutgers. It's a doable target. UConn has by far the best facilities in the AAC. It has the biggest brand. It should be able to outcompete the AAC.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say we have the best facilities by far but that is debatable. And no, we won't be better than BC, Cuse, and Rutgers. My point is that kids are going to look to P5 first, everyone else later, so they will choose to play for Rutgers before UCONN. I really don't see how we can believe we can be much better than any AAC or any other G5 team for that matter given the facts of CR.

Reaction Score
While I agree with this general sentiment, losing Cinci and UCF only turns up the heat in the dumpster fire known as the AAC. With each defection the life raft drifts further off in to the horizon.

If Yoda is correct and we lose Cincy and UCF (and for some awful reason it just doesn’t feel wrong), the situation can be no dire, it’s time for UCONN to beg, borrow, steal, and coerce its way in to the P5. That means doubling down on investments, no waiting for upticks in attendance to increase the stadium. The other facilities need to be fast tracked, get the Hockey barn, new baseball facilities, upgrading Gampel all started and finished now. We need to look like a shiny new member of the P5 before someone invites us. Because every day that goes by, championships aside, we look more and more just another want to be. Perception will kill us in the media and recruiting and just feed on itself. Carrots AND sticks need to be brought to bear on ESPN by the state.

UCONN cannot go gentle in to that good night.

Reaction Score
If Yoda is correct and we lose Cincy and UCF (and for some awful reason it just doesn’t feel wrong), the situation can be no dire, it’s time for UCONN to beg, borrow, steal, and coerce its way in to the P5. That means doubling down on investments, no waiting for upticks in attendance to increase the stadium. The other facilities need to be fast tracked, get the Hockey barn, new baseball facilities, upgrading Gampel all started and finished now. We need to look like a shiny new member of the P5 before someone invites us. Because every day that goes by, championships aside, we look more and more just another want to be. Perception will kill us in the media and recruiting and just feed on itself. Carrots AND sticks need to be brought to bear on ESPN by the state.

i.e. "Fake it to make it."

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 31m31 minutes ago
Delany will... Bla bla bla

Creating 4 pods would accomplish the same thing. No need for 2-division rule changes.

Anyone know where the Big Ten could find a 2 more schools?

Also...

The big money schools (with Nebraska on the fringe) are all in the same division. If Michigan State maintains its high level of play and Penn State and Michigan return to a high level, there's no way this division setup lasts for 10 years. Probably more like 5.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say we have the best facilities by far but that is debatable. And no, we won't be better than BC, Cuse, and Rutgers. My point is that kids are going to look to P5 first, everyone else later, so they will choose to play for Rutgers before UCONN. I really don't see how we can believe we can be much better than any AAC or any other G5 team for that matter given the facts of CR.

Let me put it this way. We were able to compete for Big East championships under Edsall. If we don't compete for AAC championships, I would blame it on the coaching, not some inherent advantage that Houston/SMU/Memphis/ECU/USF/UCF/Temple/Tulane/Tulsa have over UConn. It's just not harder to compete with those schools than it was with the Big East teams we successfully competed with (WVU, Rutgers, Cuse, Pitt, etc). In the long run, we should have better football than every one of our AAC conference mates.

Reaction Score

I don't understand why anyone thinks that we help our perception to have 23k people watch our games in a 55k seat stadium, as opposed to a 40k seat stadium, when everyone considering us knows that our stadium is expandable and can be made to be expanded as part of a deal admitting us. Why would that effect your decision on admitting us if you were a school President at a P-5 school?

Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone thinks that we help our perception to have 23k people watch our games in a 55k seat stadium, as opposed to a 40k seat stadium, when everyone considering us knows that our stadium is expandable and can be made to be expanded as part of a deal admitting us. Why would that effect your decision on admitting us if you were a school President at a P-5 school?

Why should a conference invest in UCONN’s football future when UCONN isn’t willing to?

This next CR move really could be dire for UConn. It risks being known as not the team left behind from the Big East, but known as the team left behind from The AAC. Being passed over for Syracuse and Pitt is one thing, being passed over for Louisville and Rutgers even worst, but Cinn and UCF leaving you holding the bag at the station, Perception is reality and that reality sucks.

Reaction Score
Why should a conference invest in UCONN’s football future when UCONN isn’t willing to?

This next CR move really could be dire for UConn. It risks being known as not the team left behind from the Big East, but known as the team left behind from The AAC. Being passed over for Syracuse and Pitt is one thing, being passed over for Louisville and Rutgers even worst, but Cinn and UCF leaving you holding the bag at the station, Perception is reality and that reality sucks.

That makes no sense at all. Who is asking another conference to invest in UConn? Is it that you think the only way to show a conference that we can expand the stadium to 55k is to do it? Seriously, that's absurd. And saying "perception is reality" is just throwing out a meaningless cliche. Whose perception? Tuxedo Yoohoo's? Frank the Tank's? Or the people who make a decision? Because you have no reason to doubt that people who will make the decision don't understand the relevant facts.

Reaction Score
Um that would be the successful Rutgers method. One can also argue that Louisville was guilty of a little slight of hand themselves with their city funded auditorium deal.

Stating that two separate things happened does not prove cause and effect. Yes, Rutgers expanded their stadium ahead of the demand for tickets. Yes, Rutgers got into the Big Ten. That is not evidence that expanding a stadium gets you into the Big Ten.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why should a conference invest in UCONN’s football future when UCONN isn’t willing to?.

What on earth are you talking about?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom