Non-Key Tweets | Page 148 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
You have to understand that we are Big 10 or worse case scenario ACC. Why would we be presenting ourselves in such a way that screams look at us Big 10 only to run off to the Big 12. I am confident that we already know where we are headed and when we are headed there. Our President and AD are way to confident and relaxed about where we are without knowing something. We aren't acting like these crazy presidents at Cincy or sugar daddies at Memphis offering their souls to get in. I think because we already know we don't have to....

Reaction Score
You have to understand that we are Big 10 or worse case scenario ACC. Why would we be presenting ourselves in such a way that screams look at us Big 10 only to run off to the Big 12. I am confident that we already know where we are headed and when we are headed there. Our President and AD are way to confident and relaxed about where we are without knowing something. We aren't acting like these crazy presidents at Cincy or sugar daddies at Memphis offering their souls to get in. I think because we already know we don't have to....

I've had this feeling Dr. Herbst and Manuel know when and where they are going as well. However, even if that's true, if the Big 12 is the first conference to come up with an official invite, and if the Big Ten or ACC don't counter with an immediate invite, it would be hard to turn down the invite. Then the Big Ten and ACC can rue the day they ceded control of New York.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think our Pres and AD know exactly where we'd be the best fit, but I don't think anything is etched in stone. We're just trying to look as good we can every day and hoping someone asks us to the prom.

Reaction Score
I think our Pres and AD know exactly where we'd be the best fit, but I don't think anything is etched in stone. We're just trying to look as good we can every day and hoping someone asks us to the prom.
I don't buy it. UConn needs to be aggressive. Cannot sit by the phone waiting for prince charming to call. Must lobby and campaign. Make a sales pitch. Our AD I would hope has learned something from the Louisville AD who basically stole his lunch and ate it. If the B12 expands now and UConn positions itself for an invite, they better take it. Cannot wait a decade for another chance.

Reaction Score
It's hard not to have this feeling but good god set the date so I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 wants to continue as a member of the P-5 with no defections in the future they should go to 14 now. Add Cinci, UCONN, UCF and Memphis. It helps create the East/West division format, adds to hoops interest in big markets, and the football will be fine, us included. Going small here does not inspire confidence in the long term business model.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 wants to continue as a member of the P-5 with no defections in the future they should go to 14 now. Add Cinci, UCONN, UCF and Memphis. It helps create the East/West division format, adds to hoops interest in big markets, and the football will be fine, us included. Going small here does not inspire confidence in the long term business model.

I know this sounds crazy, but if you are setting up east/west you take one of Cinn and Memphis, then look to Philadelphia for the 4th team.

pj

Reaction Score
I know this sounds crazy, but if you are setting up east/west you take one of Cinn and Memphis, then look to Philadelphia for the 4th team.

It's not crazy. Temple would add more than Memphis to the B12.

Reaction Score
The prospect of Cincy & Memphis ahead of UConn in CR is truly stomach curdling if true. From BG12 perspective only thing they may have over UConn are location& idea that football matters to people in Tenn & Ohio but not so much in New England. A false assumption especially if you include TV eyeballs of NYC metro region. Memphis State over UConn....dear God wake me from this nightmare. Can the ACC or BG10 have some mercy and rescue us from the prospect of Temple becoming our biggest rival....1 day of that is 1 day too much let alone 2-3 years.

Cincy is understandable, but not Memphis. I roll my eyes every time I read or hear somebody mention them like they're a full-fledged football factory when they've been more irrelevant than UConn for over half a decade prior to this season.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I don't buy it. UConn needs to be aggressive. Cannot sit by the phone waiting for prince charming to call. Must lobby and campaign. Make a sales pitch. Our AD I would hope has learned something from the Louisville AD who basically stole his lunch and ate it. If the B12 expands now and UConn positions itself for an invite, they better take it. Cannot wait a decade for another chance.

Buddy, the fact that Uconn is not being mentioned in any of these rumors (even as the overall biggest jewel left in the conference realignment shuffle) should be telling us all something. I doubt anyone is waiting by the phone (outside or Boneyarders), our administration has a plan and we stick to it to get us to the best situation wherever else that might be other then AAC.

Reaction Score
Between Connecticut, Philly and Orlando-Tampa you add approximately 8 million tv households and 4 of the top 21 tv markets.

Cinn brings the 36th market and another 900k households.

In one bold move you add a huge number of TV sets to your conference.

Reaction Score
Between Connecticut, Philly and Orlando-Tampa you add approximately 8 million tv households and 4 of the top 21 tv markets.

Cinn brings the 36th market and another 900k households.

In one bold move you add a huge number of TV sets to your conference.

Not going to happen. The Big 12 is the least stable of the P5 Leagues, and its members are only concerned about making as much money as possible over the term of their current contract.

The current membership of the league realizes that it is only viable as an entity for as long as Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas stay committed. None of the teams you listed matter to those three.

The rest of the conference's teams are simply building up their individual war chests, and trying to make themselves as attractive as possible to future suiters. This will be done through building up facilities, hiring/retaining name coaches, and winning games in the here and now.

Uconn will never be a member of The Big 12, and that is not a slight at The Huskies. You will eventually be a member of The B1G, ACC, or a new conference that rises from the ashes of The Big 12. The only question is what is the time frame?

pj

Reaction Score
Not going to happen. The Big 12 is the least stable of the P5 Leagues, and its members are only concerned about making as much money as possible over the term of their current contract.

The current membership of the league realizes that it is only viable as an entity for as long as Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas stay committed. None of the teams you listed matter to those three.

The rest of the conference's teams are simply building up their individual war chests, and trying to make themselves as attractive as possible to future suiters. This will be done through building up facilities, hiring/retaining name coaches, and winning games in the here and now.

Uconn will never be a member of The Big 12, and that is not a slight at The Huskies. You will eventually be a member of The B1G, ACC, or a new conference that rises from the ashes of The Big 12. The only question is what is the time frame?

Agreed with your first paragraph ... but, if the B1G and ACC are not ready yet to move, then the B12 can maximize their individual warchests and build up their attraction to future suitors by (a) finding the most lucrative additions and negotiating cut-rate deals so that everyone benefits; and (b) getting exposure for themselves in the largest national markets, hopefully building up a national following, or at least a regional following in markets held by conferences they might ultimately want to join (B1G, ACC, SEC).

Both of those are do-able with an expansion in which the adds come in as junior partners getting $4-6 mn each. This makes the conference even more unstable, but every entrant and every incumbent can get a small bump in income and exposure. If the conference is already destined to blow up, the instability is acceptable.

If UConn knows the timetable for B1G or ACC expansion is at the end of the current contracts, ca 2025, then UConn would take 10 years at $6 mn per year in the B12 as its best holding pattern.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Other than a potential payout from their sugar daddy, Memphis offers NOTHING to any Power conference. TN football recruiting?? Please. You can get as much recruiting exposure by playing Middle Tennessee State. Horrendous academics but the B12 doesn't care about that. Average, at best, basketball. Small market in which they file in at #3 behind Tenn and Vandy/SEC. NOTHING.

But, because we're talking about conference realignment here, I fully expect them to get a B12 invite soon because, oh man, what a kick in the sack that would be to us UCONN fans. Cinci, UCF, Memphis, and ECU to add an eastern wing.

Reaction Score

I said it was crazy, but carriage fees for 9 million households every month plus advertising revenue is nothing to laugh at.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I said it was crazy, but carriage fees for 9 million households every month plus advertising revenue is nothing to laugh at.

What carraige fees? ESPN and Fox already get them.

Reaction Score
Time Warner is charging $2.00+ per month in the NYC markets for sports programming starting Jan 2015 whether you have a sports package or not. The only people exempt are those who signed up with a promotional package that is still valid. When that expires they will then start paying the fee.

Reaction Score

If I had a say I'd invite UCONN, Texas and Baylor to get to 18. The B1G can have Kansas and Oklahoma. West Virginia would be attractive to the SEC (and that is the dream of most moonshiners).

Reaction Score
What carraige fees? ESPN and Fox already get them.

Sorry, should have been clearer. Carriage fees for a private Network, like LHN which I would happily subscribe to if they show UConn game.

Reaction Score
The next window for any realignment would be 2015 to 2017 when the Big Ten starts negotiating the new T1 rights. After that it would be into the mid 20's before other conferences are renegotiating. Of course the Big Ten and ACC could reopen negotiations if a prospective school showed interest.

Reaction Score
The next window for any realignment would be 2015 to 2017 when the Big Ten starts negotiating the new T1 rights. After that it would be into the mid 20's before other conferences are renegotiating. Of course the Big Ten and ACC could reopen negotiations if a prospective school showed interest.

I wonder if there's a school out there that is interested in joining the Big 10, or ACC. Hmm.......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom