Non-Key Tweets | Page 152 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Too bad Connecticut does not have Christie as a Governor. I am sure after being stuck in their campus for several days due to a traffic study or two, ESPN officials may realize how important it is for them to support UConn's move to a P5 conference.

Nah, Christie only punches down.

Reaction Score
New York's College Team...daaaaaa Bulls!

bulls.jpg

Reaction Score
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York Bulls.
Catchy.

Funny how things are cyclical. When I was looking at colleges in the early 1990’s (Buffalo was he only school I did not get into out of U Maine, UConn, Syracuse & Delaware) it was emphasized that Buffalo and the other three (Binghamton, Albany, Stony Brook), it was empathized that each was part of the State University of New York (SUNY) network and each was called SUNY-Buffalo, etc. The early 2000’s, New York wanted to strengthen their ties to their local market, so they became the University a Buffalo/Binghamton/Albany/Stony Brook. Now, we’re back to SUNY again. It’s all marketing.

http://www.ubbulls.com/landing/index

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
lol, I'm kind of stuck defending points I never made but I'll play along for a while...

1) I don't advocate for an immediate upgrade of the Rent for to 55K. It makes no sense with our current attendance. That said the notion that facilities don't matter is just silly. Of course they do, you hear a lot of buzz about the Rent being too small and about how it is expansion ready. There's a reason for that.

2) Is it inconsistant to give RU credit for the full population of NJ 0f 7 million (it's actually closer to 9M) but not give "NY's university" of Buffalo credit for NY's 19 milllion? Sure Buffalo doesn't carry NYC and doesn't but who does? Certainly not Rutgers. While RU's support is strong around New Brunswick it fades quickly. That said, it will only improve due to B1G membership.

and now one point I did make... Seems silly to rip on on RU's approach to conference realignment. Perhaps an analogy will help. Two unemployed guys are candidates for the same job. One has more experience but lesser results in the target region and the other does a great job but 90% is not in the target region. The first guy buys an expensive new suit, even though he's short on cash and goes to the interview. The other guy goes in a nice but more modest suit. The first guy gets the job. Did the suit do it for him? Probably not, but the guy who lost out on the job to him standing around mocking him for it kind of looks like an idiot. That's just my opinion though.

Reaction Score
Buffalo has a market of 1.3m.

The Rutgers market is 6x as big.

When it comes to pro sports, the Buffalo market is much bigger, because then it includes a chunk of So. Ontario (2m to 7m) and Rochester (1.2m).

The Buffalo DMA is 612K. It is ranked 52 in size, followed by Providence. The CT DMA without Fairfield County or Springfield is 998K and is ranked 30. Fairfield County is about 330K and is part of the NYC DMA. Springfield DMA is about 250K.

So CT is 1.3M, or 2X Buffalo. Our 1.3M would rank #21 in the country. UCONN also gets a piece of Springfield, so the UConn footprint is likely a top 20 DMA.

Reaction Score
The Buffalo DMA is 612K. It is ranked 52 in size, followed by Providence. The CT DMA without Fairfield County or Springfield is 998K and is ranked 30. Fairfield County is about 330K and is part of the NYC DMA. Springfield DMA is about 250K.

So CT is 1.3M, or 2X Buffalo. Our 1.3M would rank #21 in the country. UCONN also gets a piece of Springfield, so the UConn footprint is likely a top 20 DMA.

You're looking at TV households. I was looking at population. AND, I wasn't the one touting Buffalo as a huge market.

As for being 52nd just before Providence, I promise you that this is merely an accident of geography. Buffalo is very much a US border city, there's a lot of interchange with Ontario, which isn't counted in the DMA. But this is only relevant when it comes to pro sports. Not college.

CL82

Reaction Score

Fairfield County population is in likely @ 950,000 (940K est in 2013) but agree with your point.

Reaction Score
UConn DMA (Hartford/New Haven) is top 30 even without Fairfield County/Springfield where there are tens of thousands of fans...bordering on one hundred k...let's not even count the scores in NYC, Boston and RI.

Reaction Score
Steve Brown ‏@SBrown570 · 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Any idea why Cincy President at TCU with TCU, OU, Baylor Presidents/Staff last few days?

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @SBrown570 Who told you that?

Steve Brown ‏@SBrown570 · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV on Ono's twitter with Clark Stoud-OU, Boschini-TCU, Starr-Baylor, Jordan Hannah-Baylor

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 1h1 hour ago
@SBrown570 That's hardly a meeting.

@SBrown570 I would tell you if something was going on... It's not.

@SBrown570 Check back in July. July is the month the B12 will set in stone actions for next 11
years.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 2h2 hours ago
@SBrown570 Even if it were those guys have no say.

Steve Brown ‏@SBrown570 · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV I get it, but look at Santa @PrezOno feed. Notice pictures over last couple of days.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @SBrown570 @PrezOno Lots of important people gathering for CFP. He's doing his job & lobbying.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 14h14 hours ago
@knightbengal @Manny_Insanity @J_Rok4 @TuxedoYoda Don't fall for lies. The Big 12 isn't expanding.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 13h13 hours ago
@DonkeyBoner43 @J_Rok4 Anybody who tells you the B12 is expanding is a liar or ignorant.

@J_Rok4 @DonkeyBoner43 Cincy doesn't even come close to meeting that standard. No one does.

@J_Rok4 @DonkeyBoner43 No model of distribution justifies Cincy. TV ratings are horrible. Not gonna change.

Eric Pennekamp ‏@Epfourteen · 7h7 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @J_Rok4 @DonkeyBoner43 Playing Tulsa. Vs. Playing Tex is not evn fair. Its potential. Not curr. value. 2.5+./ 1bil+. #s tht mtr

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 7h7 hours ago
@Epfourteen @J_Rok4 @DonkeyBoner43 B12 has those properties already. adding a AAC school actually devalues B12 product.

Eric Pennekamp ‏@Epfourteen · 7h7 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @J_Rok4 @DonkeyBoner43 B12 TV ratings are abysmal. U don't think network would like a major market in the fold???

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 6h6 hours ago
@Epfourteen @J_Rok4 @DonkeyBoner43 The Cincy market isn't important. It has some value but not nearly worth $25m per year.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @DonkeyBoner43 Eventually Cincy gets in. I'm sure of it. Just be patient.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @DonkeyBoner43 Cincy, UCF, UCONN, ECU & even Memphis have 3 or 4 years to prove their commitment to football. Fans must support.

Reaction Score
Is WVU worth the 25M they currently receive? He should stick to making up rumors and stay away from opinion pieces.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 16h16 hours ago
@Epfourteen @J_Rok4 @DonkeyBoner43 The Cincy market isn't important. It has some value but not nearly worth $25m per year.

Harvey Birdman AAL ‏@H_BirdmanAAL · 16h16 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @J_Rok4 @DonkeyBoner43 Markets? Population of WV: 1.8 mil; Greater Orlando Population: 2.1 mil. How is WV with $24 mil?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 16h16 hours ago
@H_BirdmanAAL @J_Rok4 @DonkeyBoner43 Look at WVU's football history, ratings, merchandising & tell me.

Reaction Score
Is WVU worth the 25M they currently receive? He should stick to making up rumors and stay away from opinion pieces.

Agreed. The Dude should change his name to The Clown of WVU. He's puffing out his chest at the history of WVU Athletics? Really? WVU Football is a history of mediocrity outside of 1988 and a handful of years in the Mid 2000's. The rest of their sports are mediocre to terrible. Maybe he should admit that WVU got ridiculously lucky in being rescued from G5 Obscurity themselves. The Big 12's desperation for members+ Oliver Luck's contacts within UT got them on a life raft. If The Big 12 lost only 2 members instead of 4 they would be playing games in The AAC and spreading rumors about joining The SEC.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The Dude should change his name to The Clown of WVU. He's puffing out his chest at the history of WVU Athletics? Really? WVU Football is a history of mediocrity outside of 1988 and a handful of years in the Mid 2000's. The rest of their sports are mediocre to terrible. Maybe he should admit that WVU got ridiculously lucky in being rescued from G5 Obscurity themselves. The Big 12's desperation for members+ Oliver Luck's contacts within UT got them on a life raft. If The Big 12 lost only 2 members instead of 4 they would be playing games in The AAC and spreading rumors about joining The SEC.
Except Luck and Company went all out, promising they would play in the B12 the following season no matter the cost. It was a bold move and it worked.

Reaction Score
Except Luck and Company went all out, promising they would play in the B12 the following season no matter the cost. It was a bold move and it worked.

Agreed. Willingness to act probably moved them ahead of better fits or more valuable properties.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Willingness to act probably moved them ahead of better fits or more valuable properties.

This is a great point. It's not like they had won two BCS bowls over Georgia and Oklahoma in the lead up to their being invited, or that they have the second largest attenance in the Northeast behind only Penn State. Nope, just short term strategy.

Reaction Score

Due to travel costs, is WVU running red due to being isolated in the B12 over 800 miles away from its nearest conference partner. If WVU had a back-up (ACC or SEC), any chance they could sue the XII to try and break the GOR? If so, would adding Cincy's addition to keep WVU Happy and preventing a potential court case where the GOR is thrown out prove the value that the XII is looking for?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Does anyone actually think that WVU could get into any other power conference should the B12 fold? ACC? No, they already said no. SEC? More likely would target Texas, OU, Baylor, TCU or even Ok State. B1G? No way, academics are a bust. WVU would fall back into a conference of B12 rejects and Big East leftovers should the B12 fold by way of the Big East. Make no mistake about that.

The Dude loves his school as much as we love UCONN. But you have to take his pro-WVU "metrics" into consideration whenever he boasts about WVU being so much more superior than schools like UCONN, Cincinnati or other P5 schools. For example, he's moved off his "T3 formula" (T3 rights x 2.5 or 3) to figure out what a school's T1 rights would potentially be once I showed him UCONN's T3 rights sold on par with or more than most other Power schools ($8M/yr...actually ). That would put our T1 rights well within the $20M - $25M range that he used to use as his primary parameter and at more value than half of the current B12 members. For reference, WVU sold their T3 rights for a tick over $9M/yr in 2013...several years after UCONN sold their rights.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-Recently-Signed-Multimedia-Rights-Deals.aspx

UCONN's apparel contract with Nike also ranks favorably with other "Power" schools. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/how_much_do_colleges_get_for_s.html

Since then, The Dude's slant has focused more on DMA (which still favors UCONN if we can prove that we have presence in NYC, Boston and Hartford/New Haven).

Plus, he's just some "dude" on Twitter tweeting out his opinions. DOesn't mean he's right. Doesn't mean he's wrong. But he has no more inside information than you or I about CR. He's simply a WVU fan posting his opinions. Why his opinion is taken for such Gospel is beyond me.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think the bubble has long since burst on the dude. Those on the outside looking in still reference him because he is among the few still talking about CR. It supports the illusion that CR is still active.

Reaction Score
This is a great point. It's not like they had won two BCS bowls over Georgia and Oklahoma in the lead up to their being invited, or that they have the second largest attenance in the Northeast behind only Penn State. Nope, just short term strategy.

Who cares? The Big 12 is a small minded conference that makes short term decisions. Anyone that can't see this is not paying attention. Sure WVU had some nice success leading up to their membership, but IMO and one likely shared by others, their willingness to act quickly and decisively when The Big 12 needed teams likely got them an invite. Lets be honest WVU in the Big 12 is preposterous on many levels none more so than geographic. When its last call and you've struck out all night, suddenly a 4 looks like a 7 if she's good to go.

Reaction Score
Does anyone actually think that WVU could get into any other power conference should the B12 fold? ACC? No, they already said no. SEC? More likely would target Texas, OU, Baylor, TCU or even Ok State. B1G? No way, academics are a bust. WVU would fall back into a conference of B12 rejects and Big East leftovers should the B12 fold by way of the Big East. Make no mistake about that.

The Dude loves his school as much as we love UCONN. But you have to take his pro-WVU "metrics" into consideration whenever he boasts about WVU being so much more superior than schools like UCONN, Cincinnati or other P5 schools. For example, he's moved off his "T3 formula" (T3 rights x 2.5 or 3) to figure out what a school's T1 rights would potentially be once I showed him UCONN's T3 rights sold on par with or more than most other Power schools ($8M/yr...actually ). That would put our T1 rights well within the $20M - $25M range that he used to use as his primary parameter and at more value than half of the current B12 members. For reference, WVU sold their T3 rights for a tick over $9M/yr in 2013...several years after UCONN sold their rights.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-Recently-Signed-Multimedia-Rights-Deals.aspx

UCONN's apparel contract with Nike also ranks favorably with other "Power" schools. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/how_much_do_colleges_get_for_s.html

Since then, The Dude's slant has focused more on DMA (which still favors UCONN if we can prove that we have presence in NYC, Boston and Hartford/New Haven).

Plus, he's just some "dude" on Twitter tweeting out his opinions. DOesn't mean he's right. Doesn't mean he's wrong. But he has no more inside information than you or I about CR. He's simply a WVU fan posting his opinions. Why his opinion is taken for such Gospel is beyond me.
I hate to say it Dooley, but it is looking more and more like UConn will be one of the Big 12 reject/Big East leftovers. I can't imagine what will happen here when Cinci and USF go to the Big 12 and UConn is still left behind. You have credit to the WVU AD for taking action, which UConn's AD sadly did not.

Reaction Score

The ACC took Louisville.

Reaction Score
And if the B1G comes calling, we sign up immediately but white out the section which discusses hockey. We're doing just fine there thank you very much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom