Non-Key Tweets | Page 149 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
The state of Big Ten basketball is reason alone to add UConn. All of UConn's home and away games would be sellouts. that's money that isn't being discussed. If they add $100,000 per game in ticket sales for men's basketball alone that's nothing to laugh at. And the whole country watches UConn basketball. I think you could get to 30-35 million a year in a good conference. You can't say that about Cincy or Memphis. Cincy doesn't get another conference into Ohio - Cincy doesn't even get the city of Cincinnati, Ohio State gets that market.

Reaction Score
Mike Casazza ‏@mikecasazza · 2h2 hours ago
Big 12's Bob Bowlsby tells reporters at Liberty Bowl Big 12/ACC expect decision on petition to deregulate championship games in six months.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub · 2h2 hours ago
@mikecasazza @theDudeofWV the B10,P12, and now SEC will block the vote. They don't want to make it easier for ACC and B12 to get to playoff

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 2h2 hours ago
@NebGradDubDub @mikecasazza nobody is against it.

@theDudeofWV @mikecasazza P12 commish Hansen was quoted the other day saying that it's not fair to give other leagues a waiver

@theDudeofWV @mikecasazza he is okay with divisional waiver but against eliminating 12 team requirement

@NebGradDubDub I've given you guys link after link disproving that notion.

@theDudeofWV larry Scott said it the other day regarding 12 teams. I am assuming Delaney and Slive now feel the same way.

@NebGradDubDub SEC supports it. I explained why.

@theDudeofWV P12 and B10 have more voting power than SEC and B12. Will the ACC let the B12 have a title game w only 10 members? My guess, NO

@NebGradDubDub The ACC & B12 co-sponsored the legislative Change to revoke the rule.

@theDudeofWV two seperate rulings, correct?

@NebGradDubDub No. The B12 asked for a waiver last year but withdrew it. This legislation is to revoke the rule.

@theDudeofWV ACC pushing for conference championship game changes; Big 12 listening http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...e-championship-game-changes-big-12-listening/ … via @cftalk

@theDudeofWV funny thing is that changing the rules would allow ND Acces to the ACC title game. Could help push Texas football to the ACC

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @NebGradDubDub Listen to Bowlsby's interview a week ago on Fla radio. He explains it b

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I still think that we will not see a GOR challenged in the next ten years.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
All that's needed to trigger a challenge to a GOR is TV contract negotiations. Then it's just a cost/benefit analysis to see if the increase in revenue offsets the costs of the inevitable legal challenge. History has shown that when offered more money in a new conference, the answer is always yes. The rest is just an accounting exercise.

Reaction Score

If the XII does not expand and provide an eastern partner for WVU I think they are likely to challenge the GoR due to static money coming in from the XII and increasing travel costs.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire http://www.elevenwarriors.com/colle...-deal-could-net-each-school-50-million-a-year … What most people don't realize is how much the BTN creates leverage for Delany in Tier 1 negotiations....as well as..

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire ...how the diversity of footprint creates even more leverage and flexibility for Delany in TV negotiations. For these reasons..and others...

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire ...the next Big 10 expansion will be out East again. RUT and UMD additions to the Big Ten were homeruns, not singles...or doubles.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · Dec 30
@azescobar1 Delany is making friends out East. Delany wants more Eastern Eyeballs. UCONN is a viable player in Big 10 eastern expansion

@azescobar1 UCONN can give the Big 10 marketable BTN content...content which will drive higher ratings on BTN...bigger TV ad buys.

@azescobar1 Remember, Big Ten schools profit from bigger BTN ad buys....unlike 99% of other universities tier 3 individual contracts.

@azescobar1 I do think UCONN needs the right partner for it to actually happen (VT) but I don't see expansion until 2019.

Reaction Score
Why would VT leave? Assuming more money and research ties. They would not be on an island as MD, Rutgers and PSU are nearby (and hopefully us). Is there a reason for VT to stay in the ACC? Southern culture, gor???

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Why would VT leave? Assuming more money and research ties. They would not be on an island as MD, Rutgers and PSU are nearby (and hopefully us). Is there a reason for VT to stay in the ACC? Southern culture, gor???

$50M/yr vs. $25M/yr. That's some very serious stability and long-term protection. The B1G ain't going anywhere. You can't say that for the ACC or B12. One of those conferences will fall via the Big East route at some point.

Reaction Score
So why doesn't VT leave now? It would seem that new content on BTN would give Delaney more leverage in negotiations.

Reaction Score
Just saw this on my Yahoo page and then realized it was a Duke board. Any substance to this? Texas and Oregon are mentioned...
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/1/2/7480713/a-massive-ncaa-academic-fraud-scandal-uncovered
"This involves mostly junior college players and coaches across the country but mostly in the South and Southeast. Among the few coaches specifically implicated: Stan Heath, formerly at Southern Florida, and Isaiah Thomas, formerly of Florida Atlantic. Heath had no comment; Thomas denied it through a spokeswoman.
Among other schools implicated: Texas, Liberty, Morgan State, Oregon, and Xavier of Ohio."

edit: looks like the original article was from December 2014.
http://chronicle.com/article/Confessions-of-a-Fixer/150891/

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The GOR is far from ironclad and even if it were, the result would be a monetary settlement (which, if it were to go to court would not be significant as there would be a replacement school and the only damages would be the loss in revenue by replacing a departing school with a new member).

There will be a challenge to some conference's GOR as soon as either the SEC or B1G decide it is time to add more members.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The GOR is far from ironclad and even if it were, the result would be a monetary settlement (which, if it were to go to court would not be significant as there would be a replacement school and the only damages would be the loss in revenue by replacing a departing school with a new member).

There will be a challenge to some conference's GOR as soon as either the SEC or B1G decide it is time to add more members.

Don't know if this article has already been posted here, but either way, here's an interesting read on possibly breaking a GoR...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ge/myth-of-the-big-12s-grant-of-rights-010313

I agree with you. In my opinion, GoRs are just another item to settle monetarily between the departing school and conference.

About the bolded sentence you wrote: damages from a departing school might be non-existent. In the article I linked a few days ago, the writer examines what challenging a GoR would entail. In it, they state that not in a single instance of a conference losing a school, did the conference's TV contract negotiate down. From the article:

"In 2003, the Big East is raided for two of its name brand schools, and a regionally significant school. The Big East added some lesser brands, and their media partners did not reduce their ongoing media deal. 2010, the Big 12 lost 2 schools in Colorado and Nebraska, did not replace those schools, and the Big 12 lost a significant amount of content (1/6th) in football and basketball. The Big 12's media partners did not reduce the payout on existing contracts but actually negotiated for more money on an expiring one. 2011, Texas A&M and Missouri left, the Big 12 replaced them with less valuable TV properties in TCU and WVU, and neither ESPN or FOX required a reduction in the payout to the Big 12. 2012, Maryland leaves the ACC for the Big 10, ACC replaces them with a less valuable media property. Not a single word is mentioned about a reduced payout for the ACC.

Networks, and one specifically, won't reduce the amount they pay to the conferences because it would violate their fiduciary duties to the conferences. Because one network (ESPN) has a hand in every league's media deal (except new Big East if it even exists) it can't in good faith pay one league more for raiding one league, then reducing its payout to league that was raided.

Because there is no evidence there would be a reduced payout to the league, the damages calculation is simple. The media deal for Conference A remains unchanged despite School X leaving, therefore there would be no damages for breach of grant of rights. The Big 12 grant of rights runs concurrently to media deals. So unless the networks change their strategy and go against precedent and start reducing the payouts to leagues, the only thing that binds these schools is money. Once the SEC starts its network there will be a new conference shuffle, and the Big 12 is still vulnerable."

Granted, this is all speculative. But it's not exactly wrong. Not one conference had their media deal cut from the network that holds their rights after a school or schools left. It's because of this that I personally think the GoR can be negotiated. So if Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas were to leave, they could use this as the backbone to their argument and settle with the B12 monetarily.

Reaction Score
I really think that if Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas left, the Big 12 would fold shop, perhaps after it receives its due compensation. Some remaining schools might find a home in the P4 (OK State) and the rest in the G5.

Dooley

Reaction Score
My B12 value meter, independent of any potential CR pairings, would read something like:

1. Texas - the grand prize but won't leave the B12 until it has to because they rule the roost and being King of a conference's decision making, for now, is important (and more lucrative) to them.

2. OU - the obvious #2 and perfect pairing partner with Texas. May have to initiate leaving the B12 first.
3. KU - might be the next B12 domino to fall. Football isn't good right now but was not too long ago. Hoops is very good and markets are nice.

4. TCU (Dallas/Fort Worth market)
5. Baylor

6. Oklahoma State
7. WVU

8. Kansas St
9. Iowa St

10. Texas Tech

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They wouldn't double up on the same market. But some combination of Richmond, Dayton, St. Louis, Duquesne and St. Bonaventure would expand into a couple more major markets with similar private Catholic schools.

Or, they could take BC when the ACC kicks them out.
Davidson is near Charlotte, NC. What do you mean by doubling up on same market?

Reaction Score
Lock City Husky said:
Davidson is near Charlotte, NC. What do you mean by doubling up on same market?

You're right - just had a random brain fart and mixed up Charlotte and Richmond. You know how those southern cities all look alike.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda
‏@TuxedoYoda Reconfirmed. After OSU/Oregon & before National Signing Day, Big 12 will announce additions. Neither source will divulge names of schools.

Tuxedo Yoda
‏@TuxedoYoda @J_Rok4 likely additions are Cincinnati and UCF, but realignment is crazy.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I can understand Cincinnati and UCF. I will never understand Memphis (or any other AAC school for that matter). But yeah, I'll be p1ssed and will likely avoid this board for some time since I can only imagine that the extremist "drop football" crowd will only grow louder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom