NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn held St Francis to 4 points in the fourth quarter of its first round game in 2018
In 2016 Uconn in the regional semifinals against Mississippi St a 5 seed. 32-4, 1q, 29-8, 2q 61-12 h. 23-8, 3q. 84-20 end of 3rd, pulled starters end of 3rd. Lost 4q 18-14, final score 98-38. The game had one possession where Stewie blocked 3 shots.
The most dominating game In the tournament that I have ever seen.
Even Vic said it was amazing as the losing coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well ... I thought KState and WaState were going to challenge the lowest scoring first half combined in a NCAA game set by Stanford Uconn a decade ago, but they had an offensive outburst in the second quarter where they both reached double figures!!! Truly scintillating stuff!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I just realized there's an intriguing backstory to this Wazzu vs. K-State game.

Kamie Ethridge was a longtime assistant at K-State under former HC Deb Patterson. Patterson is now on Ethridge's staff at Wazzu as director of personnel and analytics. And Wazzu's associate HC Laurie Koehn is a former great player at K-State.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In 2016 Uconn in the regional semifinals against Mississippi St a 5 seed. 32-4, 1q, 29-8, 2q 61-12 h. 23-8, 3q. 84-20 end of 3rd, pulled starters end of 3rd. Lost 4q 18-14, final score 98-38. The game had one possession where Stewie blocked 3 shots.
The most dominating game In the tournament that I have ever seen.
Even Vic said it was amazing as the losing coach.
That was the year after they did a similar job on Texas in the S16 - final score 105-54

Reaction Score
That was the year after they did a similar job on Texas in the S16 - final score 105-54
Was reading that Geno pulled Stewie and Moriah with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter of the Mississippi St game.

Reaction Score
Seriously, I'm happy for Utah. I was thrilled for them a few years ago (2019?) when they seemed to make a breakthrough, beating Stanford. Then they were bit by injuries, faded down the stretch, missed the NCAA Tournament, and lost Pac-12 FOY Dre'una Edwards to transfer, a devastating turn of events for them.

They had a few bad years since then, but these freshmen Kneepkens and Johnson are something special.
2019-ish was the tail end of Megan Huff's tenure. More recently lost Lola Pendande to the Hurricanes as well.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
What I saw today from South Carolina I have no words, I had to double check I was not day dreaming. 6 pts in the 3rd quarter for Howard? I don't even think those historic Uconn teams ever held a team to that. I said that SC might not be happy losing the Sec title game, but it's going to be the best thing that happened to them. That frustration and anger came out of them tonight.
Considering that UConn just held Mercer, a higher seeded team than Howard, to zero points in the third quarter, I suppose that means you are even more impressed with how a season of adversity might have been an even better thing to have happened to UConn.

Reaction Score
The Big East is 3 - 1 so far in the tournament, with two upset wins! While the Depaul showing was not great, Villanova and Creighton were the better Big East teams of those three and showed up strong in the first round! I'm excited to see Creighton vs. Iowa tomorrow!

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm out of breath after watching the finish to a certain men's game that saw the top-seeded and defending champion Baylor tumble out of the tournament. Apologies to @triaddukefan , but UNC showed incredible resiliency to win that game and they did the good lord's work in eliminating Baylor.

On the topic of resiliency, I only got to see bits and pieces of the Nova-BYU game, but Nova persevered like a champ throughout this game. Siegrist showed why she earned All-American honors this year. Other players were cold but they played amazing defense on Shaylee Gonzales, who went 3-14.

chair dance gif.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That Baylor game was disheartening :( The only time I ever root for them, and they let me down.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That Baylor game was disheartening :( The only time I ever root for them, and they let me down.
Gotta give props to the men in blue. A month ago after they lost to Pitt I thought they'd miss the tournament. Then they went on a run, ruined a legendary coach's final home game, and now they knock off a huge favorite. Not bad for an 8 seed.

Reaction Score
The Big East is 3 - 1 so far in the tournament, with two upset wins! While the Depaul showing was not great, Villanova and Creighton were the better Big East teams of those three and showed up strong in the first round! I'm excited to see Creighton vs. Iowa tomorrow!
Congratulations to the BE teams on their wins in the tourney. Hoping for more to come.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Tennessee with an underwhelming 13-point win over 13 seed Buffalo.

Completely saved by the home court advantage. If that game is on a neutral court, Tennessee loses by double digits just like they did to Auburn.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay Washington St., your resurgence the last 2 years is a nice story but quit losing 1st Round Tourney games! Not really surprised at this one, figured they wouldn't be able to handle Lee.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I would much rather have seen South Dakota State, Drexel,Toledo, Liberty and others in the NCAA than all these middle-of-the-road mediocre P5 teams . I'm only surprised they didn't find a way to include Oregon State and a few more. Not picking on Oregon State who has a very good program - just saying it would be a better tournament with less of these undeserving P5 schools represented. Is it because of the money? A larger fan base? I felt like they bent over backwards trying to find a way to include Duke lol
What basis do you have for thinking they bent over backwards to include Duke? They didn't get a bid. Most of the bubble spots went to mid majors over P5 programs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Completely saved by the home court advantage. If that game is on a neutral court, Tennessee loses by double digits just like they did to Auburn.
I never knew home court made up for 20+ points. With that logic, Tennessee would've beat UCONN this year had the game been in Knoxville.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I never knew home court made up for 20+ points. With that logic, Tennessee would've beat UCONN this year had the game been in Knoxville.
Home court point differential is amplified by what I call the "mental weakness coefficient" :D

I'm serious a lot of the time, but sometimes I'm not.

Reaction Score

If that game had competent referees, Tennessee loses.
When Tennessee plays a football game breaks out. Texas is the same way, the physicality of some teams needs to be cleaned up.
The NBA had to clean up their act from the bruise brothers of Detroit to become popular. The women's college game needs to clean up the rough play.

Plebe

Reaction Score
UCF, with emphasis, dismantles Florida, getting its first NCAA Tournament win and its first win ever over the Gators.

Not much love lost for UCF on this board, but Coach Abe's turnaround there has been stunning. Six years ago took over a horrible program; now she's taken them to 3 NCAAs and now in the final 32.

I'm sure she'll get interest from some of the vacancies, and so I wonder if UCF, on the verge of joining the Big 12, gives her a raise to keep her.

Reaction Score
Man, Kentucky is a rough team. Just saw a sequence where they had a big fast break while down 6 points, 2 on 1, and the shot they choose to take is a pullup instead of a pass to the other breaker. Airball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom