NBA Summer League | Page 9 | The Boneyard

NBA Summer League

Reaction Score
Are we allowed to just say it was a fairly horrific opening night for our alum in summer league? Or is that too accurately negative?
I think Hawkins and Andre had good games. Shooting percentages weren’t great but Hawkins showed some flashes and was some uncharacteristic FT misses away from 20 points. Andre was up and down but made the winning plays at the end of the game, which is what Milwaukee drafted him for. Back to back chasedown blocks and back to back assists for 3s to put the game away in the last 3 min

Sanogo seemed overwhelmed, Bouknight is…Bouknight. Tyrese had a bad game but I’m not sure if he’s really playing for anything right now, pretty sure his role is set next year

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
DA5F6418-4DE2-463E-91B0-F7AAD3E2EC3D.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think Hawkins and Andre had good games. Shooting percentages weren’t great but Hawkins showed some flashes and was some uncharacteristic FT misses away from 20 points. Andre was up and down but made the winning plays at the end of the game, which is what Milwaukee drafted him for. Back to back chasedown blocks and back to back assists for 3s to put the game away in the last 3 min

Sanogo seemed overwhelmed, Bouknight is…Bouknight. Tyrese had a bad game but I’m not sure if he’s really playing for anything right now, pretty sure his role is set next year
I don’t see how a 90% foul shooter can go 1-6 from the line and have a good game, but I didn’t watch it so I will defer. I will say, that saying someone had a good game but for shooting is akin to saying the girl you went out with was wonderful in all areas except her looks. That may be praiseworthy, but that doesn’t get her more dates.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how a 90% foul shooter can go 1-6 from the line and have a good game, but I didn’t watch it so I will defer. I will say, that saying someone had a good game but for shooting is akin to saying the girl you went out with was wonderful in all areas except her looks. That may be praiseworthy, but that doesn’t get her more dates.
Hawkins will definitely be starting next game so he’ll have more chances. Most of his misses were good looks that just didn’t go down. Everyone (including NOP coaching staff) knows he can easily make a lot of the shots he missed

Maybe some rookie nerves, but 16 points on 40% still feels good for game 1. Also led the team in assists

I’m also willing to attribute 2 of his 5 FT misses to a bumped knee that was visibly giving him issues late in the game

Reaction Score
You could've just stopped after 'I didn't watch it'.

Hawkins looked like he fit out there and was taking good looks we've all seen him hit a dozen times. They were running actions for him all game. He hurt his knee, looked like knee-to-knee collision on a drive, and came up short on his next 4 free throws right after, then came out of the game. I guarantee he doesn't miss 5 FTs again. He's gonna have plenty of opportunities this year.

Andre played his typical role that we became accustomed to, so you should know it doesn't always show in the box score. His D, passing, and athleticism will keep him on the court.

Sanogo looked a little winded but played pretty well. A couple nice O rebs and some great passes that led to open (missed) shots. Missed a couple bunnies, but his strength translated well to this level and he affected several drives to the lane on D.

Bouknight looked like he has looked. Bad. The wrong energy and effort levels, especially on D. Can become a black whole on O. That Charlotte summer league team is awful. Wouldn't be surprised to see them lose out.

Didn't get the chance to watch Tyrese.

'Fairly horrific' is dramatic, and simply incorrect, if you watched them play. It was a pretty solid day for their first real experiences at this level of play. Hawk/AJax got a ton of facetime/announcer talk in the opening games of the season. Lots of mentions of national champs.

Excited to see the rest of their games.

Reaction Score
Your first line is fair. But the moment you talk about FaceTime and announcer talk, instead of performance, it’s clear we view sports very differently.

Reaction Score
Didn’t stay up for the Hawks but not seeing good comments on Twitter about Tyrese. Anyone watch?
He didn't have a great shooting night but led the team in rebounds and steals

Reaction Score
Your first line is fair. But the moment you talk about FaceTime and announcer talk, instead of performance, it’s clear we view sports very differently.
Look at Wemby’s stat line. That’s a fairly horrific debut. Especially for the “potential for the best player to ever play in the NBA” hype he’s been getting.

Maybe Britney Spears injured his shoulder when she tapped on it the other day…

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hawkins will definitely be starting next game so he’ll have more chances. Most of his misses were good looks that just didn’t go down. Everyone (including NOP coaching staff) knows he can easily make a lot of the shots he missed

Maybe some rookie nerves, but 16 points on 40% still feels good for game 1. Also led the team in assists

I’m also willing to attribute 2 of his 5 FT misses to a bumped knee that was visibly giving him issues late in the game
My worry is, Hawkins did the same thing here. He’d come out and miss his first 3 good looks and then eventually shoots himself into a rhythm. He’ll have to learn to come out hot at the next level because he won’t have as much of a green light.

Reaction Score
My worry is, Hawkins did the same thing here. He’d come out and miss his first 3 good looks and then eventually shoots himself into a rhythm. He’ll have to learn to come out hot at the next level because he won’t have as much of a green light.
Definitely, especially considering he'll be starting the season on the bench. Not a lot of room to miss good looks and still get playing time. I'm confident he'll figure it out, since everything is there except making the shot right now. Call me crazy but I think that's the easiest part for a player like him. Getting open is the hard part and he's doing that very well, now just needs to finish the play which we know he can do

I was surprised to see how many sets the team was running to get him open off ball. Usually summer league is just isolation and fast break ball. It's clear that New Orleans is starting to value the 3 point shot between drafting him and unlocking Trey Murphy towards the end of last year

Reaction Score
Bottom line….. if you can’t put the ball in the bucket you will struggle to stay in this league.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Definitely, especially considering he'll be starting the season on the bench. Not a lot of room to miss good looks and still get playing time. I'm confident he'll figure it out, since everything is there except making the shot right now. Call me crazy but I think that's the easiest part for a player like him. Getting open is the hard part and he's doing that very well, now just needs to finish the play which we know he can do

I was surprised to see how many sets the team was running to get him open off ball. Usually summer league is just isolation and fast break ball. It's clear that New Orleans is starting to value the 3 point shot between drafting him and unlocking Trey Murphy towards the end of last year
Yeah they should have a lot of open looks playing with playmakers like Brandon Ingram and Zion possibly. CJ seems like a really good vet to have too.

Reaction Score
Shooting stats for 1st Round picks in last night’s games. Some nerves, feeling the pressure to produce.

Hawkins 6-15
Whitmore 5-18
Thompson 6-13
Clowney 1-9
Miller 5-15
N Smith 2-10
Podziemski 3-10
Hood-Schifino 3-11
Dick 3-12
Wemby 2-13

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let’s not overreact on one summer league game. Hawkins will absolutely be fine.

Reaction Score
Shooting stats for 1st Round picks in last night’s games. Some nerves, feeling the pressure to produce.

Hawkins 6-15
Whitmore 5-18
Thompson 6-13
Clowney 1-9
Miller 5-15
N Smith 2-10
Podziemski 3-10
Hood-Schifino 3-11
Dick 3-12
Wemby 2-13
Wemby had the worst night of all considering the hype as the greatest prospect ever. He looked completely lost out there

Reaction Score
Maybe.
But what if it was only due to her not having time to wash her hair that night because she was picking up her lottery winnings?

Reaction Score

Hawkins 6-15
Whitmore 5-18
Thompson 6-13
Clowney 1-9
Miller 5-15
N Smith 2-10
Podziemski 3-10
Hood-Schifino 3-11
Dick 3-12
Wemby 2-13
Perspective is always a wonderful thing............

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Hawkins 6-15
Whitmore 5-18
Thompson 6-13
Clowney 1-9
Miller 5-15
N Smith 2-10
Podziemski 3-10
Hood-Schifino 3-11
Dick 3-12
Wemby 2-13
Majority of Hawkins’ shots were in and out

Online statistics