NBA Summer League | Page 10 | The Boneyard

NBA Summer League

Reaction Score
Are we allowed to just say it was a fairly horrific opening night for our alum in summer league? Or is that too accurately negative?

I watched all of Jackson's game and he was good. He barely touched the ball on offense, sat out a decent portion of the game, and no elaborate set plays are being run and he ended up with 7 assists.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look at Wemby’s stat line. That’s a fairly horrific debut. Especially for the “potential for the best player to ever play in the NBA” hype he’s been getting.

Maybe Britney Spears injured his shoulder when she tapped on it the other day…
Wemby is going to be a problem....not for other teams, but for his own coaching staff. Sure Summer League is limited practice and prep, but he did not look like had a freaking single clue last night. It was somewhat embarrassing I think. Reminded me of Shawn Bradley's debut when the rhetoric around his game was somewhat equivalent coming out of BYU.

If nothing else the kid is NOT physically ready to play a minute in the NBA. He was getting forced off the block by guys almost a foot shorter than he was. Yes, he changed a few shots and blocked 5. But that's not gonna be enough. You don't hire a dude that size and not expect him to be a force on the block; but time and again when he would wander below the arc the defenders just cut his knees out using their....backsides. That's the downside of 7'3.

Plus he low key slows the offensive pace down just by being on the court. I guess if you're Pop you might not care but I think in today's game it's a huge issue. You play five small vs. Wemby lineups, I think you'll eventually tired him out and will be able to score and shoot at will. And I don't know that I see this improving even if he puts on weight. I saw zero athleticism.

On the other hand what I saw from Scoot was VERY impressive, before he got, cough, 'injured'. That kid has a legit NBA body and is a very instinctive passer. Also Brandon Miller is a stud.

The Spurs may have royally screwed themselves.

Reaction Score
Decent shift in the 2nd half for Sanogo. They have him dropping or playing at the level in PnR D and he still doesn't look super comfortable. Bulls team D in general not great. But he's dominating the offensive boards, had a nice take in the paint. Made some right reads with the ball.

Reaction Score
Chicago comes up short against Memphis, 87-80. Sanogo finishes with 8 points and 12 rebounds (6 OREB, 6 DREB) on 60% FG, with pretty much a roaming role on offense. There was one possession in the 4th where the play broke down and he got the ball iso in the post. I smiled because I knew that was going to be an automatic bucket, and it was. Solid bounceback game!

Javon Freeman Liberty had a solid game too with 24 points. Really not a fan of this Dalen Terry guy, only looking for his own shot but went 5-21..

Reaction Score
Wemby is going to be a problem....not for other teams, but for his own coaching staff. Sure Summer League is limited practice and prep, but he did not look like had a freaking single clue last night. It was somewhat embarrassing I think. Reminded me of Shawn Bradley's debut when the rhetoric around his game was somewhat equivalent coming out of BYU.

If nothing else the kid is NOT physically ready to play a minute in the NBA. He was getting forced off the block by guys almost a foot shorter than he was. Yes, he changed a few shots and blocked 5. But that's not gonna be enough. You don't hire a dude that size and not expect him to be a force on the block; but time and again when he would wander below the arc the defenders just cut his knees out using their....backsides. That's the downside of 7'3.

Plus he low key slows the offensive pace down just by being on the court. I guess if you're Pop you might not care but I think in today's game it's a huge issue. You play five small vs. Wemby lineups, I think you'll eventually tired him out and will be able to score and shoot at will. And I don't know that I see this improving even if he puts on weight. I saw zero athleticism.

On the other hand what I saw from Scoot was VERY impressive, before he got, cough, 'injured'. That kid has a legit NBA body and is a very instinctive passer. Also Brandon Miller is a stud.

The Spurs may have royally screwed themselves.

The hype has people thinking he was going to be an immediate star. I don't think the Spurs front office really ever imagined that he would be averaging 20/10/5 his rookie year or something.

He's a thousand feet tall and still needs some polish to his game. That was expected. 20lbs of muscle by the time he's 22 is going to be a very different kind of player.

He's going to be an animal blocking shots. Offensively? It's going to take a few years to fill out and adapt his skill to the faster/stronger/better offenses. I still see a perennial all-star and generational talent. He's been playing against grown men--many of them better than summer league players--for a while now. One wonky game doesn't negate that.

Reaction Score
Jackson not looking great on offense. They don't know where to put him. He had one good drive for a layup, but mostly sticking him in the corners. He just got a pass from a big short rolling who found him in the corner. He should have shot but instead pump faked and traveled. He's not really very effective playing alongside a PG like Nico Mannion.

Reaction Score
The hype has people thinking he was going to be an immediate star. I don't think the Spurs front office really ever imagined that he would be averaging 20/10/5 his rookie year or something.

He's a thousand feet tall and still needs some polish to his game. That was expected. 20lbs of muscle by the time he's 22 is going to be a very different kind of player.

He's going to be an animal blocking shots. Offensively? It's going to take a few years to fill out and adapt his skill to the faster/stronger/better offenses. I still see a perennial all-star and generational talent. He's been playing against grown men--many of them better than summer league players--for a while now. One wonky game doesn't negate that.
One game means nothing but I don't love the idea of a 7'4 guy just operating at the three point line and for pull ups. He's super skilled and this is the generation of skill over brawn but he's still going to get pushed around a lot...

He doesn't seem to have any of that lateral or forward explosion and isn't quick twitched like Giannis but he's 8 feet long. I suspect we'll see a fair amount of stinkers and a fair amount of huge games his rookie season and he'll be a shotblocking machine. Down the road I suspect the Spurs will regret the pick because I think injuries will rob him of any sort of long career. His limbs, feet and hands basically have no chance of holding up, IMO. His feet and hands are scary to look at. I hope we get 5 healthy seasons out of him.

Reaction Score
He definitely played better in the 2Q. They had him initiating a bit more, getting his man out of sagging in the middle of the court.

Reaction Score
Jackson hasn't been too involved with the offense but his man to man defense has been great this 2nd half and he should of have that block.

Reaction Score
Jackson is going to lead the Bucks to the Summer League title. His DNA is just infectious. They just completely locked down on D on 2nd half and played unselfishey. Andre is constantly swiping at the ball, tapping rebounds. He just plays with so much more energy than the opponent. He's also so good at sliding his body and recovering after the opp thinks there is a lane against him, especially on closeouts.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how a 90% foul shooter can go 1-6 from the line and have a good game, but I didn’t watch it so I will defer. I will say, that saying someone had a good game but for shooting is akin to saying the girl you went out with was wonderful in all areas except her looks. That may be praiseworthy, but that doesn’t get her more dates.

I guess I just don’t see the point of this. It’s one glorified pickup game. It’s like the people calling Wembanyama a bust after yesterday.

Reaction Score
Jackson is going to lead the Bucks to the Summer League title. His DNA is just infectious. They just completely locked down on D on 2nd half and played unselfishey. Andre is constantly swiping at the ball, tapping rebounds. He just plays with so much more energy than the opponent. He's also so good at sliding his body and recovering after the opp thinks there is a lane against him, especially on closeouts.
Yeah he definitely looked a lot better in the second half playing defense by staying in front of his man and that was reflected in him getting more 2nd half minutes. He is a player who will get more minutes solely based on how well he is playing defense. Any offense he can give is just a bonus.

caw

Reaction Score
I don’t see how a 90% foul shooter can go 1-6 from the line and have a good game, but I didn’t watch it so I will defer. I will say, that saying someone had a good game but for shooting is akin to saying the girl you went out with was wonderful in all areas except her looks. That may be praiseworthy, but that doesn’t get her more dates.

Rebounded well, attacked close outs well. Handled it decently, Passed well. Defended OK. Shot the three decently. FT shooting was an issue but we all know that isn’t a long term problem.

I look at it as this. Everyone knows Hawk is a fantastic shooter. It’s not an aspect anyone is worried about. If he shoots poorly and people are saying he played well then then it bodes well for parts of his game people question.

In you comparison it’s as if a hot girl has a bad makeup day and looks only decent but you find out she has a great personality, sense of humor and likes what you like on the date. You don’t worry about the looks because you’ve already seen her the past year walking around campus looking hot, and it’s the reason you asked her out in the first place.

Reaction Score
The key stat for Andre tonight was the 30 minutes of burn he was given. He was one of. Two who played over 30 for the Bucks. They are giving him a chance to impress them, or build a lot of tape for other teams to view. Can't ask for much more as a second round pick.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
One game means nothing but I don't love the idea of a 7'4 guy just operating at the three point line and for pull ups. He's super skilled and this is the generation of skill over brawn but he's still going to get pushed around a lot...

He doesn't seem to have any of that lateral or forward explosion and isn't quick twitched like Giannis but he's 8 feet long. I suspect we'll see a fair amount of stinkers and a fair amount of huge games his rookie season and he'll be a shotblocking machine. Down the road I suspect the Spurs will regret the pick because I think injuries will rob him of any sort of long career. His limbs, feet and hands basically have no chance of holding up, IMO. His feet and hands are scary to look at. I hope we get 5 healthy seasons out of him.
I missed game 2 but in game one that high dribble into the paint was an automatic turnover. He needs a lot of space to operate cleanly- but when he does he has nice vision and of course can finish. He has time to figure things out but physicality is going to be a challenge.

Reaction Score
The key stat for Andre tonight was the 30 minutes of burn he was given. He was one of. Two who played over 30 for the Bucks. They are giving him a chance to impress them, or build a lot of tape for other teams to view. Can't ask for much more as a second round pick.
The 2nd round salary exception in the 2023 CBA makes it a different world for early 2nd round picks. The details aren’t out on his contract but he is likely guaranteed a minimum of either $3.6m (3 year deal) or over $6M (4 year deal). Could be higher

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The 2nd round salary exception in the 2023 CBA makes it a different world for early 2nd round picks. The details aren’t out on his contract but he is likely guaranteed a minimum of either $3.6m (3 year deal) or over $6M (4 year deal). Could be higher

They announced the terms to Livingston using same second round exception:
The Bucks are signing F Chris Livingston to a four-year, $7.7 million rookie deal, CEO of Klutch Sports Rich Paul and agent Brandon Cavanaugh. First two years guaranteed. It’s the largest ever total
salary for the final pick in the NBA Draft.

Reaction Score
I guess I just don’t see the point of this. It’s one glorified pickup game. It’s like the people calling Wembanyama a bust after yesterday.
Except I didn’t call anyone a bust or question their futures. All I did was ask if we were allowed to call a night when none of our five put the ball in the hole enough a bad night. And obviously, the answer is no, we can only wax poetic about the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom