Marisa Watched Asia Durr (2015) Last Night | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marisa Watched Asia Durr (2015) Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno and his staff are going to have a real problem juggling this talented line-up. A lot of guards, a lot of talent and it will require kids who are willing to put the team first of playing time, not sure in this day and age if that is realistic. If we don't get bigs soon you can see we will be in trouble. The below scenarios depend on Wilson and Durr deciding on UConn. There is rumor regarding Katie Samuelson...she is 6'2" so, we will have to insert her at the SF position. If for some reason A'ja Wilson decides to attend somewhere other than UConn then our need for quality bigs becomes even more imminent. There are a few assumptions here that Asia Durr will be that good that she will be the heir apparent to Moriah Jefferson's starting position. Also that Kia Nurse will also be that good that she will slide into the SG starting positions as soon as there is an opening. Gabby Williams is supposed to be the most athletic of the three other sophomore guards, so her being able to play up to the small forwards position is an assumption. I am also assuming that Breanna Stewart will play Center in her senior year and Tuck will move to the starting PF position. Saniya may have to move over to the point in her senior year. I am also going off the assumption that Geno likes to start his seniors. Courtney is still growing and rumors have her at 6'1" so, I also assumed that she could step up to the small forward position. This leaves me with the problem of having a talented player like Sadie Edwards and not being able to move her into a staring position even in her senior year. Just don't understand how we can hold down all this talent at the guard positions. Maybe someone else could take a stab at how Geno and his staff might balance out all this talent.

PG - Starting, Moriah Jefferson - Sr; First off the bench - Asia Durr - Fr., Tierney Lawlor - Jr., Brianna Pulido - Sr.
SG - Starting, Saniya Chong - Jr.; First off the bench - Kia Nurse - So., Sadie Edwards - So.
SF - Starting, Gabby Williams - So.; First off the bench - Courtney Ekmark - So.,
PF - Starting, Morgan Tuck - Sr.; First off the bench - ????????
C - Starting, Breanna Stewart - Sr.; First off the bench - A'ja Wilson - So., ????????

PG - Starting, Saniya Chong - Sr.; First off the bench - Asia Durr - So.
SG - Starting, Kia Nurse - Jr.; First off the bench - Sadie Edwards - Jr.
SF - Starting, Gabby Williams - Jr.; First off the bench - Courtney Ekmark - Jr.,
PF - Starting, ?????????
C - Starting, A'ja Wilson - Jr.; First off the bench - ????????

Possible 4 guard line-up in 2016, depends on who gets recruited.

Agree strongly. And don't forget. Counting on Morgan Tuck as a power forward is a strong assumption given her continuing knee problems. If she goes down we're in even deeper you know what.

Reaction Score
On Geno's radar screen-2015 center 6'6" Kalani Brown, Slidell, La.
She is the only center on the screen at the moment. What a
great opportunity for her to come in and have a chance to
get plenty of minutes as a Frosh. I like our chances with her.
I believe she has had an "in home".

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Too much concern over recruits. We didn't get Diamond DeShields and EDD left and at the time many fans were concerned. We just kept winning. Im pretty sure Geno knows what he's doing and can figure it all out. Now if we don't get Wilson there are about 5 top bigs in the next class so we most likely get one or two of them. If we get Wilson then and we get one or two in the next class. We are set this season and next and not in to bad of shape the following season. Remember we are UConn the greatest womens program in college. We will get are share of bigs. As far as Durr goes. I think she is a must get. She is a leader and a game changer and there aren't many of those out there. Putting her in UConns lineup will allow her to showcase her skills.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Too much concern over recruits. We didn't get Diamond DeShields and EDD left and at the time many fans were concerned. We just kept winning. Im pretty sure Geno knows what he's doing and can figure it all out. Now if we don't get Wilson there are about 5 top bigs in the next class so we most likely get one or two of them. If we get Wilson then and we get one or two in the next class. We are set this season and next and not in to bad of shape the following season. Remember we are UConn the greatest womens program in college. We will get are share of bigs. As far as Durr goes. I think she is a must get. She is a leader and a game changer and there aren't many of those out there. Putting her in UConns lineup will allow her to showcase her skills.

Maybe all is not lost...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Couple of things. Sue Bird's frosh year was unusual. I'm pretty sure Kiersten Walters, same year as Sue, started until she got hurt. It was a frosh, but originally not Sue.
As far as being too deep, around my hs years, CCSU was a national power within its division. They were so deep that their coach had 2 teams that alternated in, I think, 10 minute waves. One team out, the other in. Worked great.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
According to Carl Adamec, both Geno and Marisa were in Georgia to watch Durr this week: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/notebook-georgia-on-minds-of-coaching-staff/#more-9775

A couple of recruiting nuggets to wrap up Turkey Day …

While the University of Connecticut women’s basketball team took a two-day break after last Sunday’s win over St. Bonaventure, head coach Geno Auriemma and assistant Marisa Moseley headed to Georgia to watch guard Asia Durr, the top-ranked recruit in the Class of 2015, in action.

Durr, a 5-foot-10 junior guard from Douglasville, Ga., is averaging 23.0 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 2.3 blocked shots through four games for defending state Class AAA champion St. Pius X High in what her father, Terry, called “an extremely tough schedule to start the season.” St. Pius X opened with wins over Forest Park a week ago and Douglas County Saturday, but dropped back-to-back decisions on consecutive days Monday and Tuesday to Hillgrove and Tucker.

Durr does not have a short list of colleges yet and when one comes out don’t expect it to be that short.

“We are starting to discuss her short list but haven’t published it yet,” Terry Durr said. “But that day is soon as we are close to narrowing it down. It won’t be anything like a top five, more like a top 15 at this point and then we will go on from there to trim it some more.”

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
On Geno's radar screen-2015 center 6'6" Kalani Brown, Slidell, La.
She is the only center on the screen at the moment. What a
great opportunity for her to come in and have a chance to
get plenty of minutes as a Frosh. I like our chances with her.
I believe she has had an "in home".
Yup. Looks like a home to me!
Geno with Kalani.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
K

I can't agree. Geno is going to have a tough time as it is keeping all the guards happy. Best is a steady influx of all the skills needed.
You don't pass on a player like Durr if you can get her. No matter who you have already.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Dad is P.J. Brown...6'11" played w/ Celtics and won NBA title...also played w/ Nets, Bulls and Miami Heat...went to college at Louisiana Tech, hence the Louisiana location..:cool:

Reaction Score
Of course you are right Tony, but we all have to have a little fun playing coach.

Reaction Score
Dad is P.J. Brown...6'11" played w/ Celtics and won NBA title...also played w/ Nets, Bulls and Miami Heat...went to college at Louisiana Tech, hence the Louisiana location..:cool:
And it looks like he'd be happy if his little girl had a HOFer as a coach.

Reaction Score
According to Carl Adamec, both Geno and Marisa were in Georgia to watch Durr this week: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/notebook-georgia-on-minds-of-coaching-staff/#more-9775

A couple of recruiting nuggets to wrap up Turkey Day …

While the University of Connecticut women’s basketball team took a two-day break after last Sunday’s win over St. Bonaventure, head coach Geno Auriemma and assistant Marisa Moseley headed to Georgia to watch guard Asia Durr, the top-ranked recruit in the Class of 2015, in action.

Durr, a 5-foot-10 junior guard from Douglasville, Ga., is averaging 23.0 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 2.3 blocked shots through four games for defending state Class AAA champion St. Pius X High in what her father, Terry, called “an extremely tough schedule to start the season.” St. Pius X opened with wins over Forest Park a week ago and Douglas County Saturday, but dropped back-to-back decisions on consecutive days Monday and Tuesday to Hillgrove and Tucker.

Durr does not have a short list of colleges yet and when one comes out don’t expect it to be that short.

“We are starting to discuss her short list but haven’t published it yet,” Terry Durr said. “But that day is soon as we are close to narrowing it down. It won’t be anything like a top five, more like a top 15 at this point and then we will go on from there to trim it some more.”

i wonder why moseley would go to look at a guard, rather than shea ralph?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They may have just wanted another view? Or maybe just wanted to show presence?

Good question though.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Wilson and Brown, Brown and Wilson...Go Geno!!!

Reaction Score
You don't pass on a player like Durr if you can get her. No matter who you have already.
Durr is a talented player,

It sounds like you've seen a lot of Durr, can you give us your evaluation of Durr

How about KLS or Boykin or Brown or Wilson

Reaction Score

Geno and CD's philosophy has always been that the whole coaching staff recruits a player. Geno and all three assistants have contact with every serious recruit. They don't divide all by position during the recruiting process. And during the season logistics can come into play. The assistant that scouted the previous game typically goes leaving the other two assistants to be able to watch film for the next two upcoming games. A couple of years ago Shea for example went by herself out to one of Kiah's HS games. There were pictures of Shea sitting next to Sherri Coale at that game with Pat Summitt and other head coaches of top programs also in the stands.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They may have just wanted another view? Or maybe just wanted to show presence?

Good question though.
They often all get involved in recruiting players - pretty sure Marisa was one of the first to go watch Chong for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom