Marisa Watched Asia Durr (2015) Last Night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marisa Watched Asia Durr (2015) Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
We have to get some height in here some time some way...gotta....

Reaction Score
I have never read anywhere that Katie Lou's dream school is ND. It may be, but she has never said that publicly to my knowledge.
You are correct. It was mentioned by a poster names linkster on collegefansonly.net and looking at it again it looks like he is guessing and nothing more.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that you'll look back on that statement and take it back when you see all of the above play in college. Obviously, positional need is important, but IMHO, Durr has the capacity to be better than any of our current/signed guards.

Suppose that is true. How then are the guards in this year's recruiting class (not to mention Moriah Jefferson and Saniya Chong) going to get reasonable playing time even when they are juniors and seniors?

It seems to me that a school owes a certain loyalty to the players that it has already recruited (particularly when it recruits so many for the same position) to assure them a chance at real minutes if they give 100% and play to the best of their considerable ability.

I think it would be harder to win NC's after the current sophomores graduate without some serious talent in the front court than to win them without Asia Durr.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think that you'll look back on that statement and take it back when you see all of the above play in college. Ovbiously, positional need is important, but IMHO, Durr has the capacity to be better than any of our current/signed guards.

I'm confused by your post. I never said that the signed guards are better than Durr. And what exactly would I or anyone take back after watching Katie Lou Samuelson, Boykin, Kalani Brown and A'ja Wilson play? At least 2 of the above will be AAs before they're done playing college ball so I doubt anyone would take anything back when all is said and done. Signing Durr and the 1 or 2 of the others are not mutually exclusive in any event.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Geno and his staff are going to have a real problem juggling this talented line-up. A lot of guards, a lot of talent and it will require kids who are willing to put the team first of playing time, not sure in this day and age if that is realistic. If we don't get bigs soon you can see we will be in trouble. The below scenarios depend on Wilson and Durr deciding on UConn. There is rumor regarding Katie Samuelson...she is 6'2" so, we will have to insert her at the SF position. If for some reason A'ja Wilson decides to attend somewhere other than UConn then our need for quality bigs becomes even more imminent. There are a few assumptions here that Asia Durr will be that good that she will be the heir apparent to Moriah Jefferson's starting position. Also that Kia Nurse will also be that good that she will slide into the SG starting positions as soon as there is an opening. Gabby Williams is supposed to be the most athletic of the three other sophomore guards, so her being able to play up to the small forwards position is an assumption. I am also assuming that Breanna Stewart will play Center in her senior year and Tuck will move to the starting PF position. Saniya may have to move over to the point in her senior year. I am also going off the assumption that Geno likes to start his seniors. Courtney is still growing and rumors have her at 6'1" so, I also assumed that she could step up to the small forward position. This leaves me with the problem of having a talented player like Sadie Edwards and not being able to move her into a staring position even in her senior year. Just don't understand how we can hold down all this talent at the guard positions. Maybe someone else could take a stab at how Geno and his staff might balance out all this talent.

PG - Starting, Moriah Jefferson - Sr; First off the bench - Asia Durr - Fr., Tierney Lawlor - Jr., Brianna Pulido - Sr.
SG - Starting, Saniya Chong - Jr.; First off the bench - Kia Nurse - So., Sadie Edwards - So.
SF - Starting, Gabby Williams - So.; First off the bench - Courtney Ekmark - So.,
PF - Starting, Morgan Tuck - Sr.; First off the bench - ????????
C - Starting, Breanna Stewart - Sr.; First off the bench - A'ja Wilson - So., ????????

PG - Starting, Saniya Chong - Sr.; First off the bench - Asia Durr - So.
SG - Starting, Kia Nurse - Jr.; First off the bench - Sadie Edwards - Jr.
SF - Starting, Gabby Williams - Jr.; First off the bench - Courtney Ekmark - Jr.,
PF - Starting, ?????????
C - Starting, A'ja Wilson - Jr.; First off the bench - ????????

Possible 4 guard line-up in 2016, depends on who gets recruited.

Reaction Score
Geno is going hard after Brown, Wilson I think is a real long shot, Durr doesn't want to play PG she wants to play SG, Ekmark can play SG or SF, and the others are SG's Edwards could play the PG,

Geno has a way to do things and if you are not getting it done in practice you are not going to play,
Some of us see where a girl is ranked and watch a YouTube video( I watch too) and come away saying this girl is the best this or that because a highlight show her scoring which is important, but this girls get to college(UConn) and can't run a play can't remember a play can't play or understand defense, then Geno sits them and some transfer,

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
“She knows she has a chance to be the greatest player of all time,” Her father, Terry Durr, said. :eek:
Well one of the best. She's good. Real good.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I see a lot of panic type concern,about getting big girls as top priority.I am sure the coaching staff would love to have them all,that are on the interest list,and I am sure they would be happy with one,two or three,if not all.However,if it happens that they get zero commitments from girls with good height,I would still feel comfortable with whichever girls do commit to the team.Why?Well,this team has something many teams do not have,a coach and his assistants,that know how to get the best out of each girl,who know how to set a game plan from the type of talent and size that they have,and expectations of the girls that are higher than most teams have.When Kelly Faris was bought in,not too many believed she would be one of the best defensive players in college hoops.Again,I say and believe,that the coaching staff will figure this all out,and bring excellence on the court,as has happened time and time again,no matter who is on the team.Trust in them,there are no better for the tasks ahead in women's basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ovbiously, positional need is important, but IMHO, Durr has the capacity to be better than any of our current/signed guards.
Agree.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why all in on Durr? What about KLS or Boykin? What in your opinion sets her apart from the other guards, I just want to get your take
While KLS and Boykin are very good players, Durr is more of a Stewart/Moore/DT type player. Or at least has the capacity to be at that level.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
While KLS and Boykin are very good players, Durr is more of a Stewart/Moore/DT type player. Or at least has the capacity to be at that level.

KLS very good? Hmmm. I think Geno would say you are underestimating her talent. I would say KLS is more like Stewart than Durr, i.e., a match-up nightmare for opponents.

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Meyers, have you seen a lot of Durr? Where?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
FYI KLS is more like 6 3 I saw her play in summer and in preseason with Mater Dei in Sept when she looked taller.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
FYI KLS is more like 6 3 I saw her play in summer and in preseason with Mater Dei in Sept when she looked taller.

Is there any current College/Pro player you would compare her to? I'm looking for a frame of reference from someone who has seen her play a lot.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Why are people thinking Wilson won't come. She SHOULD. It's a perfect fit, for her and for us.

Reaction Score
Geno is going hard after Brown, Wilson I think is a real long shot, Durr doesn't want to play PG she wants to play SG, Ekmark can play SG or SF, and the others are SG's Edwards could play the PG,

Geno has a way to do things and if you are not getting it done in practice you are not going to play,
Some of us see where a girl is ranked and watch a YouTube video( I watch too) and come away saying this girl is the best this or that because a highlight show her scoring which is important, but this girls get to college(UConn) and can't run a play can't remember a play can't play or understand defense, then Geno sits them and some transfer,
When did Durr say that she wanted to only play SG?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Durr's father's statement strikes me as being over the top and immodest. But it does make a key point. She is not one of the best players in her class, she apparently is the best by far. Though her position and skills are different, she has the ability to be an immediate impact player and a truly great player. In those regards, she may be comparable to Diana, Tina, Maya, Kaleena, and Breanna. She's not a "nice" recruit, she's a "must-get" recruit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Durr will be a superstar wherever she goes. NONE of the greats who came through UCONN started as freshmen unless injuries or depleted rosters forced Geno's hand. I agree with Milford - she's a sensational talent but it wouldn't matter if UCONN had 1 guard or 50 - by the time she's a sophomore she has the talent to be starting over any of them. When you are Dee, Maya, KML or Breanna good, you actually SHOULD want to play on a team with the very very best players in the nation. That team is UCONN...

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think that you'll look back on that statement and take it back when you see all of the above play in college. Ovbiously, positional need is important, but IMHO, Durr has the capacity to be better than any of our current/signed guards.
And it's a. Guards game! Look at Stamford a Md with their star forwards and how far they have carried their teams! Look what Kemba Walker did for an otherwise relatively average team!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
We have to get some height in here some time some way...gotta....
You are correct- Stewie and Morgan are sophomores- but the sooner we bring insome back up posts the better!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Geno and his staff are going to have a real problem juggling this talented line-up. A lot of guards, a lot of talent and it will require kids who are willing to put the team first of playing time, not sure in this day and age if that is realistic. If we don't get bigs soon you can see we will be in trouble. The below scenarios depend on Wilson and Durr deciding on UConn. There is rumor regarding Katie Samuelson...she is 6'2" so, we will have to insert her at the SF position. If for some reason A'ja Wilson decides to attend somewhere other than UConn then our need for quality bigs becomes even more imminent. There are a few assumptions here that Asia Durr will be that good that she will be the heir apparent to Moriah Jefferson's starting position. Also that Kia Nurse will also be that good that she will slide into the SG starting positions as soon as there is an opening. Gabby Williams is supposed to be the most athletic of the three other sophomore guards, so her being able to play up to the small forwards position is an assumption. I am also assuming that Breanna Stewart will play Center in her senior year and Tuck will move to the starting PF position. Saniya may have to move over to the point in her senior year. I am also going off the assumption that Geno likes to start his seniors. Courtney is still growing and rumors have her at 6'1" so, I also assumed that she could step up to the small forward position. This leaves me with the problem of having a talented player like Sadie Edwards and not being able to move her into a staring position even in her senior year. Just don't understand how we can hold down all this talent at the guard positions. Maybe someone else could take a stab at how Geno and his staff might balance out all this talent.

PG - Starting, Moriah Jefferson - Sr; First off the bench - Asia Durr - Fr., Tierney Lawlor - Jr., Brianna Pulido - Sr.
SG - Starting, Saniya Chong - Jr.; First off the bench - Kia Nurse - So., Sadie Edwards - So.
SF - Starting, Gabby Williams - So.; First off the bench - Courtney Ekmark - So.,
PF - Starting, Morgan Tuck - Sr.; First off the bench - ????????
C - Starting, Breanna Stewart - Sr.; First off the bench - A'ja Wilson - So., ????????

PG - Starting, Saniya Chong - Sr.; First off the bench - Asia Durr - So.
SG - Starting, Kia Nurse - Jr.; First off the bench - Sadie Edwards - Jr.
SF - Starting, Gabby Williams - Jr.; First off the bench - Courtney Ekmark - Jr.,
PF - Starting, ?????????
C - Starting, A'ja Wilson - Jr.; First off the bench - ????????

Possible 4 guard line-up in 2016, depends on who gets recruited.
Some of these tems lie Duke and a n Dame seam to be building large benches of top recruits as well.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Durr will be a superstar wherever she goes. NONE of the greats who came through UCONN started as freshmen unless injuries or depleted rosters forced Geno's hand.

Well, Sue Bird started as a freshman until her injury and Swin started, too. There wasn't much choice at PG that season (which became obvious after her injury) but Swin started ahead of Stacy and Kelley. Shea came off the bench, too. But, that I had to go back to the '98-'99 season proves your point :)

Here's the boxscore from their big win at ND.

(That's the biggest "What could've been" team for me, even ahead of 2001.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All the top schools are entering the mix for Durr et al.- so we must as well. Indeed, the best (variously defined) players regardless of position. We will not be the first team to play with 5 6ft. players-- the Ivory schools have much success. Should we go out and find a 6.6 player for clogging-up the middle? If we can get a talented person who compliments the others then great. Moore and KML were guards coming in and they moved to the forward spot(s) as needed (Moore is playing that spot for Minn). Those who are so religious (and I admit to be one of them at times without knowing why) about big girls should be more constructive other than 'we need some big girls'. Boykin and Samuelson might be eq. or more desirable then a big. Wilson? She has (allegedly) stated that she will play guard or away from the basket. If so, do we really need her? With the people we have signed I would think that we have slipped a notch or two on her list. I hope the Samuelson kid come and is as good as others are preaching, because I have seen (video) her playing with a former Uconn recruit and she looked average. Of course it was one of these tournaments where there were no team play, defense ... playground style. My impression was that she was (rightly) not there mentally-- a sign of maturity, etc. At the same time, the other 2 sisters have not imho lived up to all the family hype at Stanford. But I am open.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You are correct. It was mentioned by a poster names linkster on collegefansonly.net and looking at it again it looks like he is guessing and nothing more.
Trust little that linkster posts and throw it out. Then ignore the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom