Marisa Watched Asia Durr (2015) Last Night | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marisa Watched Asia Durr (2015) Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
KLS very good? Hmmm. I think Geno would say you are underestimating her talent. I would say KLS is more like Stewart than Durr, i.e., a match-up nightmare for opponents.
I would disagree. (as would most of the rating services) But we'll see down the road. Hopefully we'll be able to compare them both here at UCONN.

By the way, I don't mean she plays like Stewart, she separates herself (talent wise) from her peers like Stewart. Or she has the potential to anyway.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers, have you seen a lot of Durr? Where?
Only the videos you can get on-line, YouTube. But it's enough to see the talent. And we've seen how she has performed with USA Basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Durr will be a superstar wherever she goes. NONE of the greats who came through UCONN started as freshmen unless injuries or depleted rosters forced Geno's hand. I agree with Milford - she's a sensational talent but it wouldn't matter if UCONN had 1 guard or 50 - by the time she's a sophomore she has the talent to be starting over any of them. When you are Dee, Maya, KML or Breanna good, you actually SHOULD want to play on a team with the very very best players in the nation. That team is UCONN...
I agree. She may not start her Freshman year just cause that's Geno's MO, but I can't see her not starting her Sophomore year.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Rizzotti. Montgomery. Bird.

Reaction Score
Why are people thinking Wilson won't come. She SHOULD. It's a perfect fit, for her and for us.

Well, she played with some of our gals already a few months back on the USA team. She absolutely loved them; sounded like the experience of her life. But all that euphoria didn't translate to a commitment so there is some serious factor holding her back. If it didn't happen then, I would say it's not going to happen. We have to be realistic; she's not coming.
Once again, I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
When did Durr say that she wanted to only play SG?

Durr has said that as recently as July that she wants to play SG, Aja Wilson was told that she would have to play the PF but she wants to play SF,

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, she played with some of our gals already a few months back on the USA team. She absolutely loved them; sounded like the experience of her life. But all that euphoria didn't translate to a commitment so there is some serious factor holding her back. If it didn't happen then, I would say it's not going to happen. We have to be realistic; she's not coming.
Once again, I hope I'm wrong.

This makes no sense. She is just following her plan. She is waiting for the spring.

She hasn't committed to anyone else either, so why is Uconn eliminated and no one else is?

Saying that she is definitely not signing with Uconn seems to be what's unrealistic.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Durr has said that as recently as July that she wants to play SG, Aja Wilson was told that she would have to play the PF but she wants to play SF,
Was told by who?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I'm reading threads and posts about the top recruits and why they should come to UConn. They've all grown up knowing and hearing about UConn. This is only one number one and its UConn. So there is not much convincing to do. Uconns accomplishments speaks for itself. What other schools are trying to accomplish UConn has and is already there. Either they wanna come of they don't for their own reasons.

On Aja Wilson here is what we know. She and her parents liked UConn when they came. There was a quote that said IF it comes down to BB UConn is the place to go. She also said and it was on ESPN last week during one of the games that when she visits a school shes not interested in how many people show up at a football game shes interested in how many show up at a womens BB game. We've heard and I have heard from many friends its SC and UConn and SC has the lead. We heard that friends and family are putting a lot of pressure on Aja to stay home and go to SC. We also have heard that Aja and Breanna communicate often and that Aja really enjoyed playing on the USA team with Stewart, MoJeff and MTuck. So why the hold up on her verballing? We don't know and can only speculate. IMO if she wanted to stay home she would say so but she hasn't said that.

On Katie Lou Samuelson there were people saying UConn is in the lead and ND and Stanford follow. That's it. Again UConn has nothing to prove. There is no convincing. Her sisters are at Stanford and they have watched UConn win NCs the past few years. What UConn has accomplished over the past decade no other team can match.

On Durr. Glad to see MM attended her game. I heard there was a question in her mind with UConn signing 4 guards before her. Not a big deal as we saw Maya verbal when UConn was winning NCs and good players there before her. With the new rules and the way the game is begin called we need a lot of guards/ players with guard skills ... ball handlers and kids who can shoot and take the ball to the rim. So if your 5'10 or 6'5 (look at Stef and Stewie) we need players who can do it all. The game is changing and Geno is changing with it.

So all we can do is wait and speculate. Its tuff but its only a few more months.

Reaction Score
This makes no sense. She is just following her plan. She is waiting for the spring.

She hasn't committed to anyone else either, so why is Uconn eliminated and no one else is?

Saying that she is definitely not signing with Uconn seems to be what's unrealistic.

That's my point. If UCONN was the overwhelming choice she would have blown off her plan. We would have to be overwhelming to lure her so far from home.
Also, who says any team has not been eliminated? She isn't talking.
We'll have to wait and see. Like I said I hope I'm wrong.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Starting as a freshman at Uconn usually means there was not a viable alternative on the team already. It happens, but not often and seldom at the start of a season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's my point. If UCONN was the overwhelming choice she would have blown off her plan. We would have to be overwhelming to lure her so far from home.
Also, who says any team has not been eliminated? She isn't talking.
We'll have to wait and see. Like I said I hope I'm wrong.
It is hard to be the overwhelming choice in a vacuum - she hasn't visited a lot of schools and seems to have been a bit restricted in her travel compared to other recruits, so ... she is waiting to compare Uconn vs. those she has yet to visit. At that point, maybe Uconn does stand out as the 'overwhelming' choice and maybe it doesn't.

Reaction Score
Please don't put too much stock in the rating services Geno doesn't, they base everything on scoring not skills, and some are copycats, the staff thinks the best player for them may not be what we think, they have the there 2015 top 5 in a completely different order than the rating services,

I have watched the players we have as top 5 in person and more than once,

Which one of these 3 players would be more important,

player-has height,long,versatile,fast,handles,use off hand as well as dominate hand,good rebounder, good passer,score inside and outside,good 3pt shooter, good IQ,

Player-has height,long,Good shooter, good 3pt shooter,good scorer, good handles,doesn't use off hand, good IQ

Player-has height,good scorer from anywhere on the floor,good handles,doesn't use off hand, good passer, good IQ

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Starting as a freshman at Uconn usually means there was not a viable alternative on the team already. It happens, but not often and seldom at the start of a season.
That was my point. As you said, you can always go back and find exceptions where a player started as a freshman. But it was based on the needs of the team. Most of the all time UCONN greats did not start as freshmen - Sales, Taurasi, Moore, KML, etc.

My other point is - if a kid wants to be a super star or wants guarantees to start as a freshman, UCONN is not the place for her. I mean this not as picking on Diamond, but as an example - clearly she did not like the team first approach and player development that Geno and co. employ at UCONN and she wanted to go to a place where she could do her own thing. UCONN was not the right fit for her. But no matter how good UNC is and how many NCAA's they go to in her 4 years, looking at talent and rosters now, it's unlikely they will be winning the NC ahead of UCONN, and several others.

I know we've said it a lot on here, but UCONN is not for everyone. HOWEVER, if your primary goals in college are to possibly win multiple NC's, be taught and pushed to be the very best you can be (even better than you ever thought), and to play on a team that treats you like family, then UCONN is really the only choice.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In Geno's system those are most often meaningless labels. Watch the motion and resulting positioning in the UCONN offense. Look how often Stef is outside as our center. She ends up with threes for gosh sakes and numerous available shots from the top of the key the foul line and yes, in the low post. That diversity is what A'ja needs to be pursuing because it is what will make her a better basketball player overall. Look where Stewie plays, inside and outside with plenty of time of the perimeter just like Stef because that is how the offense moves and flows. Look at Morgan Tuck in game film and see where her shots come from. And yes, Kiah, too. Inside and outside, too. Get the picture? Labeling position within the UCONN offense is a meaningless endeavor because of the tremendous movement.

If A'ja wants to become the very best basketball player she can be and is willing to play for a coach that will demand the best she has to give and not cheat her talent she will come to UCONN. If not, then it doesn't really matter because that will not happen at South Carolina and someone else will step up and get the benefits of all that at UCONN. Odds are much better that the one who gets the opportunity a UCONN will play for and probably win a National Championship than someone at SC or every other school in the US. 7 NCs since 2000, that is 50% of the titles over that period. The handwriting is on the wall quite literally. One can see them every time one sits in Gampel.

The same applies to Durr and the guard rotation she will be at the 1, 2 and the 3 and even will post up players in the UCONN offense when the opportunity presents itself. MoJet is the predominant PG when on the court but Bria is out front many times and Saniya Chong is, too.

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
You gotta laugh as there are some posters on here who seem to want the top player in the 2014 class and the 2 top players in the 2015 class to go elsewhere ;) ;)

Reaction Score
Geno and his staff are going to have a real problem juggling this talented line-up. A lot of guards, a lot of talent and it will require kids who are willing to put the team first of playing time, not sure in this day and age if that is realistic. If we don't get bigs soon you can see we will be in trouble. The below scenarios depend on Wilson and Durr deciding on UConn. There is rumor regarding Katie Samuelson...she is 6'2" so, we will have to insert her at the SF position. If for some reason A'ja Wilson decides to attend somewhere other than UConn then our need for quality bigs becomes even more imminent. There are a few assumptions here that Asia Durr will be that good that she will be the heir apparent to Moriah Jefferson's starting position. Also that Kia Nurse will also be that good that she will slide into the SG starting positions as soon as there is an opening. Gabby Williams is supposed to be the most athletic of the three other sophomore guards, so her being able to play up to the small forwards position is an assumption. I am also assuming that Breanna Stewart will play Center in her senior year and Tuck will move to the starting PF position. Saniya may have to move over to the point in her senior year. I am also going off the assumption that Geno likes to start his seniors. Courtney is still growing and rumors have her at 6'1" so, I also assumed that she could step up to the small forward position. This leaves me with the problem of having a talented player like Sadie Edwards and not being able to move her into a staring position even in her senior year. Just don't understand how we can hold down all this talent at the guard positions. Maybe someone else could take a stab at how Geno and his staff might balance out all this talent.

PG - Starting, Moriah Jefferson - Sr; First off the bench - Asia Durr - Fr., Tierney Lawlor - Jr., Brianna Pulido - Sr.
SG - Starting, Saniya Chong - Jr.; First off the bench - Kia Nurse - So., Sadie Edwards - So.
SF - Starting, Gabby Williams - So.; First off the bench - Courtney Ekmark - So.,
PF - Starting, Morgan Tuck - Sr.; First off the bench - ????????
C - Starting, Breanna Stewart - Sr.; First off the bench - A'ja Wilson - So., ????????

PG - Starting, Saniya Chong - Sr.; First off the bench - Asia Durr - So.
SG - Starting, Kia Nurse - Jr.; First off the bench - Sadie Edwards - Jr.
SF - Starting, Gabby Williams - Jr.; First off the bench - Courtney Ekmark - Jr.,
PF - Starting, ?????????
C - Starting, A'ja Wilson - Jr.; First off the bench - ????????

Possible 4 guard line-up in 2016, depends on who gets recruited.
You wrote "Katie Samuelson is 6'2" so therefore we will have to insert her at the forward position" and I was struck by the fact that you implied we would get her (anything but automatic) and that she was automatically locked in at forward. I seem to remember Magic Johnson coming out of Michigan State and he was something like 6'8" or bigger and no one automatically decided he has to be a forward. Someone 6'8" back in the 70's was comparable to someone 6'10" or bigger today and my point is he you can't automatically pigeon hole someone based strictly on their height. EDD seemingly would have been a center based on her height but she played much more of a perimeter game and that's how she was utilized. Time will tell about Samuelson but I would hope that she does decided to attend UConn because she does sound amazing.

Reaction Score
I see a lot of panic type concern,about getting big girls as top priority.I am sure the coaching staff would love to have them all,that are on the interest list,and I am sure they would be happy with one,two or three,if not all.However,if it happens that they get zero commitments from girls with good height,I would still feel comfortable with whichever girls do commit to the team.Why?Well,this team has something many teams do not have,a coach and his assistants,that know how to get the best out of each girl,who know how to set a game plan from the type of talent and size that they have,and expectations of the girls that are higher than most teams have.When Kelly Faris was bought in,not too many believed she would be one of the best defensive players in college hoops.Again,I say and believe,that the coaching staff will figure this all out,and bring excellence on the court,as has happened time and time again,no matter who is on the team.Trust in them,there are no better for the tasks ahead in women's basketball.
I agree with what you're saying that even in the worst case scenario Geno and Chris would manage to adjust and make this team highly successful despite a lack of height. However, that is certainly not a scenario that Geno is striving for. His and Chris's work would be so much easier if they have a couple of big gals in the middle to utilize in various situations. That is the thrust of most people's remarks and concerns regarding big girls. Not only that, you really don't want to have a major imbalance on your team where every girl seems to be exactly the same. If potential recruits looked at UConn's roster and it seemed that everyone UConn presently had was exactly the same size and played exactly the same positions that you strived for, why wouldn't a recruit look elsewhere where they felt that there was more of a need for their services and more of a chance for them to contribute.

Reaction Score
You wrote "Katie Samuelson is 6'2" so therefore we will have to insert her at the forward position" and I was struck by the fact that you implied we would get her (anything but automatic) and that she was automatically locked in at forward. I seem to remember Magic Johnson coming out of Michigan State and he was something like 6'8" or bigger and no one automatically decided he has to be a forward. Someone 6'8" back in the 70's was comparable to someone 6'10" or bigger today and my point is he you can't automatically pigeon hole someone based strictly on their height. EDD seemingly would have been a center based on her height but she played much more of a perimeter game and that's how she was utilized. Time will tell about Samuelson but I would hope that she does decided to attend UConn because she does sound amazing.

Because he was a point guard in college and the best passer of his time.

Reaction Score
I'm confused by your post. I never said that the signed guards are better than Durr. And what exactly would I or anyone take back after watching Katie Lou Samuelson, Boykin, Kalani Brown and A'ja Wilson play? At least 2 of the above will be AAs before they're done playing college ball so I doubt anyone would take anything back when all is said and done. Signing Durr and the 1 or 2 of the others are not mutually exclusive in any event.
I misread your post. I thought that you were saying that any of those players would be better for UConn (because of positional need) than Durr. Sorry.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I am really excited about thought of having Durr on our team surrounded by a bunch of multi talented players who can play the wing and guard positions. Many interchangeable players. We once again will be deep in talent at the guard and wing positions and the possibility of having Aja Wilson play along side of Breanna and Morgan is really over the top. Looking at this years roster a lot of kids getting a lot of minutes including the walk on s. If you look at our avg score per game in the other thread and you see we are averaging approx. 88 pts per game that's a little misleading. Don't forget Geno is taking off the press and fastbreak and clearing the bench early as not to run up the score any more then it has to. All said and done over the next few seasons we are positioned to do some pretty fantastic stuff.

Reaction Score
Many feel the 2014 guards UConn just signed will hurt its chances with Durr, but UConn remains in the hunt.

Brandon Clay ‏@BrandonClayPSB 20h
#TeamPN: @UConnWBB Asst @marisamoseley is here for '15 G @A_Hooper25. Durr lists the Huskies http://www.prospectsnation.com/story/durr-top-her-game-recruiting… pic.twitter.com/lzvdPzeaBX

Has anyone seen her play. I'm sure she's got some real game, however the only video I've seen of her ,she looked rather slow. April Sykes?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen her play. I'm sure she's got some real game, however the only video I've seen of her ,she looked rather slow. April Sykes?
Slow? No, that's not how I would describe her.

Reaction Score
Slow? No, that's not how I would describe her.
K
I think Durr's a level above that. And I've heard Williams is going to be very good, and I think Edwards is going to be very good.

I hope we are "all in" for Durr. I would pass on Wilson to get Durr. Not that they are similar. But if I was given a choice, even knowing we need height, if given the choice you can only have one, Durr in a heartbeat.
I can't agree. Geno is going to have a tough time as it is keeping all the guards happy. Best is a steady influx of all the skills needed.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
K

I can't agree. Geno is going to have a tough time as it is keeping all the guards happy. Best is a steady influx of all the skills needed.

Surely news Geno needs to know...you can reach him at Geno #cluelessrecruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom