Lubin Transferring | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lubin Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When we recruited him ,I thought it was pretty much a waste of a scholarship.
I looked for some contribution maybe as a junior if ever.

After watching him this year , he has progressed faster than I thought.

I was looking forward to seeing him grow even more in what would have been a four year career.
Good luck to him ,but only if his. grades are in order.
transfers can kill you

Reaction Score
Sad to see him go. I think he could have been a very good player down the road. I wish him well. I know that some are thinking that frees up a ship, but will they be able to fill it with a better big or any player to that matter in this 2015 class? I don't know.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Would've been interesting to see what he could've developed into by his junior and senior seasons. I already liked the toughness he brought to the court as a freshman.

Ultimately though, if he wanted more minutes, sooner rather than later, the move makes sense. Hope he finds a solid program to continue his college career.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Five pages and nobody mentions Kasongo? Without him, we'd never have known Rock, to whom I add my good wishes.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
More space for JUCO, transfers, internationals!

KO - can he come up B1G?

I think he can by all ACCounts.

Reaction Score
Thanks Rakim and all good fortune unless we play your next destination.
5 pages of the sky is falling and the next champion hasn't been crowned. Let's exhale and think. Could Ollie have persuaded Rock to stay? I think so.
What do you want, players we lose who won't stay or ones that go where they can play?
Kids want 2 things - playing time and an NBA ticket. We are never showcasing the Rock.
Maybe Shonn is close, KO would have shared that with Lubin. In fact, maybe Shonn is waiting for this announcement so it doesn't look like Lubin was forced out.
Another thought, with a taller, stronger backcourt does the need to match team speed negate strong hands?
Last ideas, how often did Calhoun have 5 future pros and what did KO do with the undermanned 2013 team? Last March our strength and conditioning won a ring, Lubin is not leaving to improve that.

Reaction Score
Thanks Rock! You wore the Husky jersey for a time and were always ready to lay it on the line. :)

Reaction Score
I'm not a huge tenspro fan, but if the talent level really is as down as some posters on here say that it is(and I happen to agree with them a bit), then getting another guy in place of Rakim Lubin is a good place to start if they're going to upgrade the roster. Maybe that's harsh, I don't know.

Obviously the staff needs to improve with recruiting, but I think it's a little silly to make declarative statements about the roster after 1 year. UConn's had a number of mediocre seasons over the years, and talent has rarely been cited as a key reason, but for whatever reason now it's seen as a big issue after this latest season.

Adams is going to be really good and Enoch fits the profile of the type of recruit UConn had a lot of success with in the mid 2000's. They're still a piece or two away, so hopefully they get a solid 5th year guy for next year and then land some good 2016 guys.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think his junior college stats mean much - they don't play a lot of close games at CSI, but once the playoffs started, they moved him to the starting lineup.

He's got talent. but he seems to exist without much adult oversight. God knows where he ends up or how long it takes him to end up there.

Reaction Score
I don't think his junior college stats mean much - they don't play a lot of close games at CSI, but once the playoffs started, they moved him to the starting lineup.

He's got talent. but he seems to exist without much adult oversight. God knows where he ends up or how long it takes him to end up there.
I'm sure he has some talent but the last thing we need is a raw big man who changes schools about as often as Kim Kardashian changes her face. Luckily it's a problem we won't have to worry about.

Reaction Score
We all knew who you were talking about. That's why he was shocked.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

The deal is I have been desperately wanting us to get a beast to hold things down at the four, especially after seeing what Harrell would do against us in '13 and '14. My hopes for Rock to develop his game that much were seriously optimistic, I know. Still, I had to put my hope somewhere, so Rock it was.

Reaction Score
The only reason he's barely even mentioned here is that his name is Rock. It's a cool name. The Rock needs more playing time! The Rock gave us good minutes!

If his name was Brad, he would transfer away without a whisper.

Reaction Score
What does this even mean? First you said the talent level is "way down." I don't know, a core of Hamilton, Purvis, Brimah and Adams is pretty strong, talent-wise.
Then you said you're not sure what team Adams will be playing with in two years. Based on what? You're giving up on 2016 recruits already?
You keep saying people who aren't borderline panicked about recruiting are clueless. Honestly, your doomsday warnings are a lot more tiresome.

What part are you struggling with? I'm not sure I ever - in fact, I didn't - say that people who aren't "borderline panicked" are clueless, you're just overreacting while you accuse someone else of overreacting. It's what we do here. And if you don't think the talent level on this team isn't what it used to be after you just watched this team finish sixth in a mid-major conference while struggling to beat teams like Tulane and ECU deep into the season (putting to the side the teams they actually lost t0) then you're certainly entitled to that opinion.

We'll see about '16. Ollie is in on a bunch of high level guys. But making peoples' lists hasn't been the problem. It's being the last name on the list.

Hope that clears up whatever was eluding you.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Simonds is from GA, Lubin transferred to the same school his senior year, KO offered Simonds after going down to watch Lubin.
Simonds is a stud. I hope Lubin leaving doesn't hurt our chances with Simonds.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What part are you struggling with? I'm not sure I ever - in fact, I didn't - say that people who aren't "borderline panicked" are clueless, you're just overreacting while you accuse someone else of overreacting. It's what we do here. And if you don't think the talent level on this team isn't what it used to be after you just watched this team finish sixth in a mid-major conference while struggling to beat teams like Tulane and ECU deep into the season (putting to the side the teams they actually lost t0) then you're certainly entitled to that opinion.

We'll see about '16. Ollie is in on a bunch of high level guys. But making peoples' lists hasn't been the problem. It's being the last name on the list.

Hope that clears up whatever was eluding you.

I can't buy into the chicken little argument. I just can't.
Hamilton was the best UConn freshman I'd seen seen Rudy Gay. Incredible talent.
Purvis came on as the season progressed and became our best player, yes, best player. He also clearly assumed leadership of the team. It's his team now. I'd like to see what he can do.
Brimah was defensive player of the year in conference as a sophomore, who barely played before he arrived. He has gaping holes in his game, but clearly has ability to make a big impact.
Facey was a rebounding machine, and flashed some offense. If he can play better fundamental defense he can be very good.
Calhoun is a shooter, with improved D this season. His poor shot fundamentals means he needs to be wide open to shoot.
Samuel plays strong, like Taliek. Solid depth at PG who will get better with experience.
Nolan is the classic UConn big who gradually improves up to an eventual strong senior year. If you subtract the phantom fouls (about 25-30% of his fouls never happened) he'd look much better.

That talent doesn't stink. What I saw last year wasn't bad players, it was a bad team. Sometimes it happens, but those guys weren't able to play together, they didn't mesh. Maybe these players, plus some new ones will function better as a team. Ollie needs to recruit, but rare was the year when Calhoun had deep strong recruiting classes. What he did very well was find kids that were underrated.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Purvis came on as the season progressed and became our best player, yes, best player. He also clearly assumed leadership of the team. It's his team now. I'd like to see what he can do.
Brimah was defensive player of the year in conference as a sophomore, who barely played before he arrived. He has gaping holes in his game, but clearly has ability to make a big impact.
Facey was a rebounding machine, and flashed some offense. If he can play better fundamental defense he can be very good.
Calhoun is a shooter, with improved D this season. His poor shot fundamentals means he needs to be wide open to shoot.
Samuel plays strong, like Taliek. Solid depth at PG who will get better with experience.
Nolan is the classic UConn big who gradually improves up to an eventual strong senior year. If you subtract the phantom fouls (about 25-30% of his fouls never happened) he'd look much better.

That talent doesn't stink. What I saw last year wasn't bad players, it was a bad team. Sometimes it happens, but those guys weren't able to play together, they didn't mesh. Maybe these players, plus some new ones will function better as a team. Ollie needs to recruit, but rare was the year when Calhoun had deep strong recruiting classes. What he did very well was find kids that were underrated.
Honestly...I see it as 2 bad/mediocre recruiting classes.

Boatright/Deandre - good class
Omar/Nolan - bad. Omar was a big miss. He was supposed to be a big time player.
Facey/Samuel/Brimah - Brimah worked out better than we hoped, but haven't gotten much else from anyone else.
Hamilton - Hamilton is the best we've had in awhile
Transfers: Purvis/Cassell - Purvis is a player. He needs to get a bit smarter at basketball and work on his jump shot trajectory, but he's athletic and can really penetrate. Cassell seemed to struggle getting used to the pace of play. I think he'll be improved next yr. Needs to build confidence.
Jalen/Enoch - TBD

So the point is that we have 2 recruiting classes of guys who can't score. Once Omar and Phil graduate, we'll be in much better shape, if we continue to recruit the way we have the last 2 yrs with Hamilton and Adams.

Reaction Score

Come on. You are stating the peak/ best case scenario with every guy.

Agree on D-Ham; kid is a stud. Purvis has potential but like everyone else is extremely sporadic and inconsistent. Brimah again has great potential, but is so inconsistent and a horrific rebounder for a starting center.

A few points stand out:

1.) Facey showed brief flashes here and there, but overall he isn't even close to developed enough that he should be our starting 4. He wouldn't have seen more than a few garbage minutes of pt on a number of our teams from 1990 to 2012. His development is fine. 6 and 4-5 isnt bad for him in his second year. Nobody would be complaining about him if he backed up Jeff Adrien his first two years. The problem is we needed him as a starter and hes clearly not ready. This points to a lack of overall talent/ depth.

2.) Omar cant shoot. Everyone wants him to be a shooter and we need him to be, but he cant. He has absolutely terrible shooting form and a low release, slow ugly shot. Love his attitude. Seems like a great kid and team player, but he hasnt given anyone a reason to be optimistic about making a big jump.

3.) T-Sam would make a decent back-up/ 3rd string change of pace guard. He cant shoot and his handle is just decent at best. But he is big, strong, and can get to the hole. The problem is he was our 3rd guard overall. That's a huge problem and does point to a lack of overall talent.

4.) Nolan actually came on in the last 5 games and was really improved. He wouldn't be a bad option as our 4th overall big. Someone to go on and play either the 4 or the 5 for a few minutes here and there to give others a breather, or play when someones in foul trouble. Once again the issue is he is our 2nd big and was starting at the end. This points to a lack of overall talent/ depth.

Overall, it seems people are confusing potential with talent/skills today. Brimah has great potential. Facey has great potential. Purvis has good to very good potential. Each of them are extremely inconsistent and lack fundamental basketball skills today. The problem is that due to a lack of overall depth/ front end talent, we have had to rush each of their developments.

Brimah could be a great center, if Jeff Adrien was playing next to him. Facey would be fine next to Okafor or Josh Boone. Purvis would be a great 6th man backing up Ben Gordon or Boat last year. The problem is we are relying on these guys to be critical pieces to the team before they are ready.

And the reason for this is that we do lack the front end talent that would require these guys to perform the roles that they are more suited to today. Brimah, Facey, T-Sam, Omar, Cassell Jr, Rock (now gone), Nolan. None of those guys can anchor a recruiting class. You cant expect starting level production/ consistency from them until year 3 or even 4. They are all decent role players, one dimensional guys, but none are well rounded enough. We need to put more high end talent around them and each of them is fine.

We haven't brought in enough impact recruits to surround with them. We've gotten D-Ham, and that's really it (Purvis was a transfer but he can count too since he was 5*). So while the overall talent isnt as pitiful as some would make it seem, it is down. This roster has plenty of potential, but it also has a lot of holes, and glaring holes in certain fundamental skill sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom