Looking way ahead to 2016-17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking way ahead to 2016-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ND has to be the favorite for 2016-2017. If ND doesn't win it Muffet will be stomping those stilettos so hard they'll become flats.

I'm not sure there is a clear favorite in 2016-2017. There seems to be 8 to 10 teams with a lot of talent and any one of those teams including UCONN can win it all. Right now I would say UCONN, ND, USU, Baylor, Texas, Tennessee, Duke, Florida State, North Carolina, Maryland and Louisville can all be listed as contenders.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm not sure there is a clear favorite in 2016-2017. There seems to be 8 to 10 teams with a lot of talent and any one of those teams including UCONN can win it all. Right now I would say UCONN, ND, USU, Baylor, Texas, Tennessee, Duke, Florida State, North Carolina, Maryland and Louisville can all be listed as contenders.

I'd take FSU and NC out of that group.

Not sure about South Carolina sans Mitchell either.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
All I know is ND is going to be brutally hard. We'll have to see how KLS and NC develop but more than likely Turner will be the best player on the court and they'll have the best pg on the court. And I think Reimer is an underrated very good player. They're big three will be upperclassmen. ND will be a beast in 2016-2017 depending on how good Turner will be.

An advantage that Notre Dame will have over the rest of women's basketball going into 2016-17 is that pretty much their entire lineup should be returning. They do lose Mabrey who is a streaky role player, but they have a slew of freshmen guards coming in, return everyone else, have a very good 2015 class coming in and 2 very good players coming on board in 2016. If you look at the teams projected to be top programs next year, most lose strong players:
UCONN-Jefferson and Stewart
Tennessee-Graves
South Carolina-Mitchell
Baylor-Johnson
FSU-Bulgak
Maryland-Moseley and Howard

It remains to be seen how they'll match up with UCONN, who will have a drastically different looking lineup without Stewart and Jefferson in the mix. A lot is up in the air for UCONN when looking that far ahead--how good with NC/KLS be? Will Butler be able to hold down the fort inside? Can Dangerfield come in and be an effective point guard from day 1? Chances are, the only players we've seen play college ball for Connecticut who will be starting in 2016-17 will be Tuck and Nurse.

Reaction Score
It remains to be seen how they'll match up with UCONN, who will have a drastically different looking lineup without Stewart and Jefferson in the mix. A lot is up in the air for UCONN when looking that far ahead--how good with NC/KLS be? Will Butler be able to hold down the fort inside? Can Dangerfield come in and be an effective point guard from day 1? Chances are, the only players we've seen play college ball for Connecticut who will be starting in 2016-17 will be Tuck and Nurse.
So...Tuck, Nurse, Butler, Williams, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield. I'll take it vs ND's powerhouse roster. We survived the loss of Dolson & Hartley OK. Geno has prepared to survive the loss of Stewart & Jefferson. This young lineup might lose a couple games, but by the NCAA's ND will be scared of them, not vice-versa.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I still see UConn as the team to beat but certainly more beatable than they will be next year. (Not that we can't lose next year but it will have to be injuries or someone else's A game against our C game).

After UConn, I think ND and Baylor will be head and shoulders above anyone else.
I completely agree with you about Notre Dame. Baylor I'm not too sure about just yet. Baylor will definitely improve. To what degree is yet to be seen. The ND website has several articles about the team's reaction to losing to UConn for the second straight year. EVERYBODY connected to the team is angry and extremely disappointed. They want to beat UConn so bad, it's becoming an obsession. You can see it in their faces (video clips), and hear it in their voices, they are NOT happy. One player said it's like having a bad dream over and over. There is a gap between the two programs that ND is intent on closing. Several other programs (on paper) are also gaining ground. I look for Louisville, South Carolina, Florida State, Maryland, Baylor and Tennessee to make significant strides in improving their brand, and vying for a top 5 ranking this coming season. The rich continue to get richer. Next season's NCAA tournament should be more interesting and competitive than this year's was. As others have mentioned, as programs go, it's not the talent, it's the preparation. Geno still has the market cornered in that regard. The next two seasons should be very interesting. UConn has been, and remains the "gold standard" in WCBB. You can bet the other major programs are scrambling to close the gap. We'll see if UConn can maintain the margin of excellence and dominance they have enjoyed the past few years. For what it's worth, I too agree with Diana Taurasi's observation made this past season: "If you're going to beat UConn, you better do it this year. Because next year's team led by seniors Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson is going to be extremely difficult to beat. I'm drinking that glass of kool-aide to the last drop.

Reaction Score
So...Tuck, Nurse, Butler, Williams, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield. I'll take it vs ND's powerhouse roster. We survived the loss of Dolson & Hartley OK. Geno has prepared to survive the loss of Stewart & Jefferson. This young lineup might lose a couple games, but by the NCAA's ND will be scared of them, not vice-versa.

completely agree with this. We take some big losses but not insurmountable ones. I think Tuck would be the preseason player of the year, and we should still be #1 heading into the season. While other teams may improve more than UConn, I don't see it as a situation where another team will improve so much as to be better than UConn. ND may be about as good at best.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
While other teams may improve more than UConn, I don't see it as a situation where another team will improve so much as to be better than UConn. ND may be about as good at best.

UConn will be relying on either Chong or freshmen Dangerfield at the point. That's a big, big issue. I don't see Nurse as a point guard though maybe that'll change.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn will be relying on either Chong or freshmen Dangerfield at the point. That's a big, big issue. I don't see Nurse as a point guard though maybe that'll change.
Sluconn I am not sure I agree that this is a big issue. Big issue to me would be one that has no solution. Nurse will be a Junior which means she has 1 more full year to learn PG position. Let's say you want to solve the issue with recruiting 2015 recruiting is closed out with no PGs available. A PG that transfers inn would have to sit a year. So the next best opportunity is class of 2016. In 2016 UCONN has already snagged the best PG available. One of three will step up to be the starter and another can be an adequate backup. I more worried about adding SG depth and filling the hole that will be left once Stewie graduates.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
precisely.... thats why we (well a few of us) are so anxiously awaiting 2016-17 ;)

Ahem.

Anxiously or eagerly?

(Boneyarders tend to be eager as we await the upcoming season(s).;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So the next best opportunity is class of 2016. In 2016 UCONN has already snagged the best PG available. One of three will step up to be the starter and another can be an adequate backup.

Not many teams win titles with freshmen PG's though that might be UConn's best choice. It's quite a change going from senior Moriah to freshmen Crystal.

I'm guessing/hoping that KLS and Collier will be really good as sophomores and that could negate the loss of Stewart.

Reaction Score
I disagree with some on this thread. In 2016-2017 we're the underdog if Turner turns out to be the best player on the court which is very, very possible. Plus as slew points out and bballnut points out about the pg play and senior leadership -- Saniya needs to grow a lot or we take a hit on experience. Since when is pg play not that important and who can stand up to Allen at the moment of 2016-2017? Geno doesn't play the game. Allen as if this moment looks like she will be the best guard on the court that specific year-- and guard play is always huge. IMO more important than post play (though post paly important very impt too.).

What I like is what another poster said though I don't agree with the word that he used the word was "scared." There is no way UCONN or ND will be scared of one another. But how I'm thinking is -- we should win again this year-- 3 straight years. We'll be playing with house money in 2016-2017. We'll be a brutally tough underdog. The pressure is going to be on other teams to get us that year. Because the following year we are going to be loaded with juniors and seniors.

And hopefully we'll continue to recruit extremely well. Heck if I'm a scorer- any position - I get a chance to have Dangerfield as my pg-- sign me up!!!! What I've seen briefly from "The Real Danger" is that she is special -- add that up each year with who are her older teammates-- we're looking at an incredibly efficient, yet merciless rabid (husky) dog for the future.

Reaction Score
As I look at the targets for 2017, I can see a stellar class with some combination of the following:

Espinosa-Hunter Guard
Danielle Patterson 6-3 Forward
Megan Walker 6-1 Wing (amazingly talented top player)
LaDazhia Williams 6-3 Power Forward

This could develop into a very talented class but 2016 class is on deck first.

Reaction Score
I guess I don't see Chong as the liability many do, I think she has the skill she needs and its more about being more consistent and she has a whole year to work on that. A backcourt with Chong, Nurse, Williams, and Dangerfield should be ok. I think it could be like 2013, where we didn't have a solid true pg and still cut down the nets. Geno is very good at hiding his teams weaknesses and developing talent. I don't think other teams will dramatically out develop their talent relative to UConn, if they did that UConn wouldn't have so many titles. I reserve the right to revise my assessment as we move closer, but right now i'd rather be a homer, no need to get anxious for games 2 years out.

Reaction Score
I guess I don't see Chong as the liability many do, I think she has the skill she needs and its more about being more consistent and she has a whole year to work on that. A backcourt with Chong, Nurse, Williams, and Dangerfield should be ok. I think it could be like 2013, where we didn't have a solid true pg and still cut down the nets. Geno is very good at hiding his teams weaknesses and developing talent. I don't think other teams will dramatically out develop their talent relative to UConn, if they did that UConn wouldn't have so many titles. I reserve the right to revise my assessment as we move closer, but right now i'd rather be a homer, no need to get anxious for games 2 years out.

I don't see Saniya as a liability. Rather- I see Allen as one of the top pg's in all of basketball in her senior year. "Should be ok" is not the as -- "will be great." Allen as senior - will more than likely be great. Not "DT", Sue Bird" or MoJeff" great but among the top pg's in all of wcbb.

If it is like 2013-- then imo a player will have to emerge as being the best player on the court. Stewie was that. I've given ND "the favorite nod" because in part I think Turner will be the best player on the court. If a husky outplays her and is best player on the court-- I'm with ya big time!

I don't know about "dramatically outdevelop talent relative to UCONN." ND recruits near UCONN level. Some years they outrecruit UCONN.

I'm with ya-- UCONN can certainly win it all 2 years from now - absolutely. Just saying imo UCONN won't be favored. And I feel the other teams will be under more pressure. This year for example imo UCONN will be a prohibitive favorite to win it all. Some of the opponents will be able to play loose. However in 2016-2017 because I feel a team like ND will be favored -- they might feel more pressure if they meet us in the final four.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't see Saniya as a liability. Rather- I see Allen as one of the top pg's in all of basketball in her senior year. "Should be ok" is not the as -- "will be great." Allen as senior - will more than likely be great. Not "DT", Sue Bird" or MoJeff" great but among the top pg's in all of wcbb.

If it is like 2013-- then imo a player will have to emerge as being the best player on the court. Stewie was that. I've given ND "the favorite nod" because in part I think Turner will be the best player on the court. If a husky outplays her and is best player on the court-- I'm with ya big time!

I don't know about "dramatically outdevelop talent relative to UCONN." ND recruits near UCONN level. Some years they outrecruit UCONN.

I'm with ya-- UCONN can certainly win it all 2 years from now - absolutely. Just saying imo UCONN won't be favored. And I feel the other teams will be under more pressure. This year for example imo UCONN will be a prohibitive favorite to win it all. Some of the opponents will be able to play loose. However in 2016-2017 because I feel a team like ND will be favored -- they might feel more pressure if they meet us in the final four.

I don't see Saniya as a liability, either. She is, in fact, an asset, and not merely because of her ability to start at point guard her senior year.

Reaction Score
As well as KLS is as good as we expected (same as #1 pick, KML, Stewart) we should not worry too much for 2016-2017.

Reaction Score
I think ND will be best of the rest, but its still UConns world. IF Allen and Turner develop as much as you think they will have a very strong team. I think Tuck will be better than Turner though, or at least as good even though Turner will have a size and athleticism advantage. Our guard group should be very good, even if we don't have one dominant guard. I think Nurse will still be able to smother Allen on defense though. I think we will clearly have the advantage on the wings, and its definitely possible KLS becomes the best player on the court. If Butler is a good passer and the offense can move through her then we will be practically unstoppable. We will still have the best coach, and a team that will outwork any other team.

Reaction Score
Here is a video of Butler playing when she still was at Georgetown. They are Xavier highlights. I don't have any comments on the video but it is here for anyone who wants to see it.

Reaction Score
Well I don't think UConn has anything to prove. Their numbers and accomplishments speak for itself. They are the dynasty and no other team comes close. Will UConn become weaker when Breanna and MoJeff graduate? We don't know that? Will are next 2 classes be just as powerful? The bottom line is UConn is a team and plays team ball. They are disciplined like the Marines. Its not about the talent other teams have, because there is a lot of talent out there. Its about the development of the players and development of the team. UConn is developed light years ahead of their opponents. Could UConn lose? Yes. Just look at the Stanford game. People are still saying how did they lose that game....not how did Stanford win it. Big Big Difference. So what does the future hold for UConn. Well as far as Im concerned a lot more NCs. Its going to take every other team a long time to catch up to UConn. UConn may not win every game by double digits in the future but I wouldn't bet against it. I said it last season with Wilson or Turner or without UConn would continue to win the NC and they did and they will again this season. So if Cox comes great and if she doesn't good luck to her because imo she will most likely never win a NC but UConn will. Think about it. Wilson and Turner are great players and they may never win a NC because they didn't come to UConn? Pretty strong words but right now they look pretty much on. So bottom line. Cox hasn't visited SC or UConn. Will she? I guess we will have to wait and see.
As an RU fan and ex Marine i hate to admit it but its obvious in the cohesion..talent alone isn't enough. UConn WBB has now built a mystique about them and others come in scared. RU used to have something similar but on a lesser level but seem to have lost a bit of the brashness they used to carry and intimidate others with. As long as Geno's here i see UConn as practically peerless!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As an RU fan and ex Marine i hate to admit it but its obvious in the cohesion..talent alone isn't enough. UConn WBB has now built a mystique about them and others come in scared. RU used to have something similar but on a lesser level but seem to have lost a bit of the brashness they used to carry and intimidate others with. As long as Geno's here i see UConn as practically peerless!
Tasha Pointer wasn't the most talented guard in the game but she brought that swagger that we associate with players like Diana Taurasi. Both Tasha and DT had that "this is MY court and MY game" attitude that was contagious. Your 2007 team had several players like that - Epiphanny Prince, Matee Ajavon and Essence Carson come to mind. That attitude (combined with stellar talent) is what brought RU to the NC title game a few years back.

Tasha is now a coach for RU, yes?

Reaction Score
Tasha Pointer wasn't the most talented guard in the game but she brought that swagger that we associate with players like Diana Taurasi. Both Tasha and DT had that "this is MY court and MY game" attitude that was contagious. Your 2007 team had several players like that - Epiphanny Prince, Matee Ajavon and Essence Carson come to mind. That attitude (combined with stellar talent) is what brought RU to the NC title game a few years back.

Yeah she is...my hope is CViv gets one more "hurrah" and maybe get that elusive Natty!?!..Clock is ticking though...I hope they get another HC in the elite category post CVS when she hangs it up Nan?

Reaction Score

BTW Tyler should end up in that category of Matee and Pointer..though shes not a Pip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom