Looking way ahead to 2016-17 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Looking way ahead to 2016-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is possible, if not likely, that Coach Hatchell will step down, for various and obvious reasons.

IF this happens, we can expect an intense search and imagine a fabulous opportunity for the new hire -- something like $.6 million base for 5 years, more $$ for radio and tv, still more $$$ for unis and shoes, a huge budget for assistants and recruiting/travel. and bonuses for NCAA Tournament ($50K). Sweet Sixteen ($100K), Final Four ($250K) and NC ($1M). Finally, $100K for every player who graduates.

Something like that.

Early targets? Jeff Walz, Kim Barnes-Arico, Dawn Staley, Jim Jabir, Jenn Rizzotti, Dawn Staley, and Shea Ralph.

Dark Horses? Diana Taurasi (HC) and Sue Bird (Assoc. HC).

Who did I miss?

I would think Jennifer Azzi would be interested - isn't she originally from NC?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It is possible, if not likely, that Coach Hatchell will step down, for various and obvious reasons.

IF this happens, we can expect an intense search and imagine a fabulous opportunity for the new hire -- something like $.6 million base for 5 years, more $$ for radio and tv, still more $$$ for unis and shoes, a huge budget for assistants and recruiting/travel. and bonuses for NCAA Tournament ($50K). Sweet Sixteen ($100K), Final Four ($250K) and NC ($1M). Finally, $100K for every player who graduates.

Something like that.

Early targets? Jeff Walz, Kim Barnes-Arico, Dawn Staley, Jim Jabir, Jenn Rizzotti, Dawn Staley, and Shea Ralph.

Dark Horses? Diana Taurasi (HC) and Sue Bird (Assoc. HC).

Who did I miss?

Aint no way in the world Dawn Staley would leave little carolina for big carolina....... Walz wouldnt leave for chapel hill either..... dont see why they would want Rizzoti..... nope for Jabir or Ralph.

I could see Charlotte Smith from Elon though.

Reaction Score
UConn will be relying on either Chong or freshmen Dangerfield at the point. That's a big, big issue. I don't see Nurse as a point guard though maybe that'll change.
Nurse plays pg for the Canadian National Team and she will mentor Dangerfield for 2 years!IMO she will be a captain her jr. year!

Reaction Score
You disagree that Jefferson was helpless on offense early on? She had no clue how to get a shot off or where to go on the court for quite a while.

Dangerfield's ranked 3rd by Hoopgurlz and 4th by both Blue Star and Prospects Nation. But none of that is relevant. I believe Dangerfield will be ready to play sooner than Jefferson was; didn't say who would be better.

As for Chong, I stand by my comment. I don't believe she starts on a title contender without significant improvement. It took two games for Geno to replace her with a freshmen last year.
I don't see Chong as a starter until her Sr. night game!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't see Chong as a starter until her Sr. night game!
Except Chong has already been a starter and was taken out of the starting lineup after a game in which she scored 20 points by shoting 8 for 13 and hit 4 Threes. If Chong refines her defensive and stops the downward sprial of confidence she can compete for a starting spot this coming season- her 3rd year in the UCONN offense.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Aint no way in the world Dawn Staley would leave little carolina for big carolina.. Walz wouldnt leave for chapel hill either..... dont see why they would want Rizzoti..... nope for Jabir or Ralph.

I invite your attention to Deep Throat's famous advice to Bob Woodward in the Watergate affair: "Follow the Money."

The combination of financial incentives (more $ than anyone but Geno) and job perks (e.g., unlimited recruiting budget -- like Geno, Muffett and very few others enjoy), plus the unparalleled opportunity of restoring glory to UNC would be hard to resist.

Reaction Score
Except Chong has already been a starter and was taken out of the starting lineup after a game in which she scored 20 points by shoting 8 for 13 and hit 4 Threes. If Chong refines her defensive and stops the downward sprial of confidence she can compete for a starting spot this coming season- her 3rd year in the UCONN offense.
I Know she started 2 games this past season and scored 20 pts against Stanford.She shot the ball well and she is a great kid as are all the ladies on the team!With the talent they have coming in KLS,Collier,Boykin and Butler eligible this year she is going to have a hard time just getting minutes.Also there is Gabby Williams pushing for minutes.Right now that makes them 9 deep without her and if she stays healthy I see Ekmark passing her also.Hard to teach confidence ask Heather Buck!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I Know she started 2 games this past season and scored 20 pts against Stanford.She shot the ball well and she is a great kid as are all the ladies on the team!With the talent they have coming in KLS,Collier,Boykin and Butler eligible this year she is going to have a hard time just getting minutes.Also there is Gabby Williams pushing for minutes.Right now that makes them 9 deep without her and if she stays healthy I see Ekmark passing her also.Hard to teach confidence ask Heather Buck!
Saniya also started 4 games as a freshmen. I agree that confidence is a hard thing to retain. None of the incoming 2015 recruits play the PG position, it would be a stretch for any incoming 2015 recruits to play the SG position. Chong can play both. So in a very real sense Chong is only competing with Nurse for a backup PG role and Courtney for backup SG role. If you project both Nurse ( probable) and MoJeff ( a lock) as starters then Chong has a role. If Courtney surpasses Chong with both opportunities (back up PG & SG) I would be very surprised.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of Turner's talent, but it's hard to believe she has "significantly" more upside than Tuck. Better rebounder and shot-blocker, sure. Tuck's actually a very good defender all over the court and has one of the best and most efficient post games in the country. Tuck's an All-American who may only get on that list once as a result of an archaic rule.

I have to agree. Turner is a physically a stud but Tuck is no slack. I don't see Turner as being a far more dominant rebounder but Tuck differentiates herself in her offensive versatility and range.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I invite your attention to Deep Throat's famous advice to Bob Woodward in the Watergate affair: "Follow the Money."

The combination of financial incentives (more $ than anyone but Geno) and job perks (e.g., unlimited recruiting budget -- like Geno, Muffett and very few others enjoy), plus the unparalleled opportunity of restoring glory to UNC would be hard to resist.

Staley will likely hang around for awhile. UNC will pony up big money to steal staley... Way more than they are probably willing to pay for a coach that hasn't won a title.

1. She just had a contract extension (thru 2021), a hefty buyout (over 1,000,000), and a huge raise (she now makes 1.2 million). Being in the SEC, money isn't a problem at SC.. we'll match UNC toe for toe.
2. She has the administration in her back pocket. She gets whatever she wants at SC. She's getting new offices for the WBB staff, new space for recruiting and showing off the program to donors, the school is currently refurbishing our old arena into an amazing new practice facility. And the school is building a palace of an athletic dorm across the street from our arena and practice facility, especially for basketball players.
3. Fan and community support of the program are underrated when it comes to recruiting coaches... She has both at SC. More than she would at UNC. She's a local celebrity and doesn't have to worry about her program being overshadowed by MBB.
4. She's not a spring chicken. UNC is a MESS and I don't see her going there and spending years to clean it up. She's ready to win and hasnt yet reaped the benefits of all of the hard work she's put into building SC. Most non SC fans don't realize how bad we were before Dawn. She's not giving up the fruits of her labor.
5. She's invested in the community here. The community supports everything she does outside of basketball and her nonprofit organization here is wildly popular..

I'm not saying UNC won't try but it won't be as easy as your making it. Dawn already has her perfect situation. Also, contrary to popular belief.. she writes her own check for recruiting.. Listen to her speeches/interviews.. She often says something similar to "the administration here gives me everything I ask for and everything I need to be successful.. and we have been"....

UNC will try... but the offer will go the way of Ohio State's and her alma mater, UVA's.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Also, contrary to popular belief.. she writes her own check for recruiting..
Great run down I hope/believe you are correct. We'll keep the bold part between us but what would Vandy think?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Great run down I hope/believe you are correct. We'll keep the bold part between us but what would Vandy think?

I wasn't implying anything illegal. Simply saying that our AD, a former national title winning baseball coach at SC, knows how important recruiting is and he gives ALL of our coaches the resources needed to recruit at the highest level. SC wants to be a winner in WBB and is ironically our best sport currently... No worries there, Staley gets the recruiting budget she wants.. and the athletic departments plane that goes with it. There's an article somewhere of Tanner explaining how he gives our coaches whatever they need to recruit the best players. I'll post a link when I find it.. Maybe CckhrnLghrn knows the article I'm talking about.

:cool:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I wasn't implying anything illegal. Simply saying that our AD, a former national title winning baseball coach at SC, knows how important recruiting is and he gives ALL of our coaches the resources needed to recruit at the highest level. SC wants to be a winner in WBB and is ironically our best sport currently... No worries there, Staley gets the recruiting budget she wants.. and the athletic departments plane that goes with it. There's an article somewhere of Tanner explaining how he gives our coaches whatever they need to recruit the best players. I'll post a link when I find it.. Maybe CckhrnLghrn knows the article I'm talking about.:cool:

It appears that the SC AD -- and you!:rolleyes: -- understand the importance of a generous recruiting budget. Focusing solely on wcbb, it takes a good outlay of funds to go scout prospects nationwide (as Geno and a very few other coaches do), not to mention the expense of flying recruits and their families to Storrs for an official weekend -- from such distant places as California, Arizona, Nevada, Illinois, Missouri, or Ossining, NY.:)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Saniya also started 4 games as a freshmen. I agree that confidence is a hard thing to retain. None of the incoming 2015 recruits play the PG position, it would be a stretch for any incoming 2015 recruits to play the SG position. Chong can play both. So in a very real sense Chong is only competing with Nurse for a backup PG role and Courtney for backup SG role. If you project both Nurse ( probable) and MoJeff ( a lock) as starters then Chong has a role. If Courtney surpasses Chong with both opportunities (back up PG & SG) I would be very surprised.
Saniya is a 1 or a 2. Courtney is a 2 or a 3.

Reaction Score
I don't see Chong Playing the point against the top teams.Kia or Moriah will be on the floor unless they are both in foul trouble and with the new rules that will hardly happen if they let them play.We will see KLS playing the 3rd guard that will be shooting guard and Nurse will play pg before Chong because she is just better and she proved it this past year!IMO that is how it will play out but Iwould love for Saniya to prove me wrong so I could eat my words but I don't see it happening!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wasn't implying anything illegal. Simply saying that our AD, a former national title winning baseball coach at SC, knows how important recruiting is and he gives ALL of our coaches the resources needed to recruit at the highest level. SC wants to be a winner in WBB and is ironically our best sport currently... No worries there, Staley gets the recruiting budget she wants.. and the athletic departments plane that goes with it. There's an article somewhere of Tanner explaining how he gives our coaches whatever they need to recruit the best players. I'll post a link when I find it.. Maybe CckhrnLghrn knows the article I'm talking about.

:cool:

That huge recruiting budget hasnt really produced any dividends. at least not yet. :cool: Other than Cuervos...... does SC have a player on its roster outside of a 250 mile radius of Columbia ?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
That huge recruiting budget hasnt really produced any dividends. at least not yet. :cool: Other than Cuervos. does SC have a player on its roster outside of a 250 mile radius of Columbia ?

That's a petty shot but I'll bite... SC is no national brand or recruiting power. We're still very much a regional program. My post was saying that Staley's recruiting isn't limited financially. She gets the resources she asks for.

Making it to the FF helps but it still takes time to establish that national brand, like UCONN/ND.. but that's a goal of Staley's.

So saying her huge recruiting budget hasn't paid dividends is really false. She's already expanding her recruiting. Look at her offer list for 2016 and beyond... I was surprised to see several kids from California and Texas (more or less, we've always recruited decently there). Doesn't mean we're gonna land these kids... but we are on the radars now.

And yes.. CUEVAS is from the Bronx, as you probably know. Tiffany Davis is from Texas, Cliney is from New Jersey I believe, Colley is from Canada and Tina Roy is from Louisiana.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dawn has been recruiting nationally since she got to South Carolina: La'Keisha Sutton- one of my favorite human beings on the planet was from NJ and Kelsey Bone was from Texas. The current roster is a reflection of where the talent has been lately -in proximity to South Carolina. Bone transferred and Dawn did miss out on some in state talent most notably X who was a high school teammate of Asia Dozier.
The budget is certainly important but the results are already there IMO. Before Dawn the top recruits did not even think about or visit South Carolina-now many are.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
She plays point for a pretty good national team up north so ...I don't know what you are not seeing? She is not a Moriah type of PG, but maybe more of a Whalen physically and mentally?
Ohhhhhh, I like that comparison A LOT!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's a petty shot but I'll bite... SC is no national brand or recruiting power. We're still very much a regional program. My post was saying that Staley's recruiting isn't limited financially. She gets the resources she asks for.

a.

Not a petty shot, just a serious question. Im not above handing out petty shots though :cool:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Depends on the distance.

I assure you, the race never goes to the slow. I have a lot of personal experience in the matter over distances from 5K to 50 miles. Never to the slow :)

Reaction Score
I assure you, the race never goes to the slow. I have a lot of personal experience in the matter over distances from 5K to 50 miles. Never to the slow :)
I've been is a few myself. I find that in some races over 1-2 miles, that people who start off like "jackrabbits", usually, run out of steam. Short distance = Fast, Long distance = slow to moderate and steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom