Looking way ahead to 2016-17 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Looking way ahead to 2016-17

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Looks like there will be ten teams in the 2016-2017 final four! (shall we call it a final ten tournament?)

Well, it looks like Tenn has a chance then to make a 'final something'

Reaction Score
I haven't seen any changes that should put anyone above UConn. maybe if UConn's players don't develop at all, and the other teams players magically do then ND has an even money shot and SC would be slight underdogs, it takes more than being a self described great coach to beat UConn.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Rabbit and the hair... ?
rabbit_of_seville.jpg

Aflac's ASAP's Aesop's most fabeless tail???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All I know is ND is going to be brutally hard. We'll have to see how KLS and NC develop but more than likely Turner will be the best player on the court and they'll have the best pg on the court. And I think Reimer is an underrated very good player. They're big three will be upperclassmen. ND will be a beast in 2016-2017 depending on how good Turner will be.
hoop meister - Totally agree that ND is going to be brutally hard and that will probably be every year!! Also, many posters listed 8-10 schools that will have the talent to compete and possibly win. Let me just look at ND vs UConn and be conservative--Tuck is equal to Turner. (Tuck will be in 5th year with NC winning experience so many would put Tuck a smidge ahead) Reimer--she developed that 10-12 foot shot and it was nice, but Butler is physically bigger and probably a better rebounder/scorer. I am not a big Reimer fan in regard to her controlling a game. Allen - she has developed and is very good, I would put Nurse equal since Kia has a total game/defense/NC winning experience/Canada National that brings her equal to Allen. If Dangerfield spots her and Chong contributes then that spot is a push.
IMHO UConn subs--Gabby, Chong are equal or better. Talking about the new recruits, how can Lou, NC, Danger etc. not be equal(or better) to ND new recruits. So staying conservative it is pretty close. Throw in the mental toughness and winning the big ones, plus the best coaching tandem in the Universe and I have UConn by a nose.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All this talk about Stewart and MoJeff graduating and how good will UConn be. This is not a matchup of rosters its a match up of teams and UConn is a team and a team will win out almost every single time over a bunch of individual players. All the talent in the world on a roster wont be a talented team. That's why UConn and ND continue to play in the NC game. So with all the transfers there is a lot of excitement and hype. Most of those transfers are coming from teams who had great rosters but no team. They depended on their talent not their team. I like UConn in the future. They may not win every game by 25+ pts because of who they lose through graduation but for an opponent to make up 25 pts is really difficult especially when UConn is adding top players who are committed to Geno and his system.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It is possible, if not likely, that Coach Hatchell will step down, for various and obvious reasons.

IF this happens, we can expect an intense search and imagine a fabulous opportunity for the new hire -- something like $.6 million base for 5 years, more $$ for radio and tv, still more $$$ for unis and shoes, a huge budget for assistants and recruiting/travel. and bonuses for NCAA Tournament ($50K). Sweet Sixteen ($100K), Final Four ($250K) and NC ($1M). Finally, $100K for every player who graduates.

Something like that.

Early targets? Jeff Walz, Kim Barnes-Arico, Dawn Staley, Jim Jabir, Jenn Rizzotti, Dawn Staley, and Shea Ralph.

Dark Horses? Diana Taurasi (HC) and Sue Bird (Assoc. HC).

Who did I miss?

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, Natalie Butler, Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier, De'Janae Boykin, Kyla Irwin, Crystal Dangerfield, Molly Bent, Saniya Chong and Courtney Ekmark and one more that Geno will add.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ecclesiastes 9:11:

"The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong."

Ring Lardner:

" . . . but that's where the smart money goes."

Having read the entire thread, I have come to two conclusions:

1. Expectations for new players of SC, ND, etc., are very high but more modest for those coming to UConn; and,

2. Ring Lardner was right.
Add my belief in Geno and my signature quote (about the heart of a champion), sooooooo. . .

I continue to like our chances.

I like them too.

....but time and chance happeneth to them all.

UCONN can't win every year. Just like they can't win every game. They'll be good and in the hunt in 2016-17, but the smart money goes with the field that year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Given the musical chairs between May 9 when this thread started and now some six weeks later, I find the whole premise of predicting team strength 18 months out a wee bit amusing!

Given that two of the 'favorites' above are pushing the limit of 15 scholarships, and that has a tendency to make chemistry difficult, we could easily see more musical chairs next year.

I like the Uconn team and certainly think there are a bunch of strong competitors in 16-17. And Uconn will be replacing two (and possibly three) top 3 type draft picks so there will be a significant transition for them. Other teams will be more upper-class dominated and that could bode well for them.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
hoop meister - Totally agree that ND is going to be brutally hard and that will probably be every year!! Also, many posters listed 8-10 schools that will have the talent to compete and possibly win. Let me just look at ND vs UConn and be conservative--Tuck is equal to Turner. (Tuck will be in 5th year with NC winning experience so many would put Tuck a smidge ahead) Reimer--she developed that 10-12 foot shot and it was nice, but Butler is physically bigger and probably a better rebounder/scorer. I am not a big Reimer fan in regard to her controlling a game. Allen - she has developed and is very good, I would put Nurse equal since Kia has a total game/defense/NC winning experience/Canada National that brings her equal to Allen. If Dangerfield spots her and Chong contributes then that spot is a push.
IMHO UConn subs--Gabby, Chong are equal or better. Talking about the new recruits, how can Lou, NC, Danger etc. not be equal(or better) to ND new recruits. So staying conservative it is pretty close. Throw in the mental toughness and winning the big ones, plus the best coaching tandem in the Universe and I have UConn by a nose.

Tuck is more polished offensively than Turner, but Turner is a better rebounder/defender and she has significantly more upside than Tuck Tuck is outstanding in her own right, but physically isn't in the same league as Turner and in two years I'd expect Turner to establish herself as a better player than Tuck.

Butler is a bit of a wild card since we have not seen how she will perform against good teams. She put up huge rebounding numbers for a team that finished 11-21 and played in a weak conference. Offensively she shot 49% and had 102 turnovers, which isn't bad but doesn't signal the 2nd coming of a Stephanie Dolson. Does she have a mid range game? I haven't seen her play, I only know her on stats and from what I've read here, which sounds promising but playing in a mediocre Big East will be a lot different than playing some brutal competition that UCONN will face. On the flip side, Reimer's scoring/rebounding aren't as gaudy and she has a slightly better but not overwhelmingly great FG and turnover statistics, but she also played on the nation's #2 team and against an incredibly difficult schedule. She had her ups and downs, but by mid year she came on strong and put up some big numbers against really good competition (Final Four vs. South Carolina, ACC Championship vs. Florida State, vs. Louisville). She doesn't have a great back to the basket game but has developed a nice midrange jumper and is a very physical post. She is a great compliment to Turner and should be one of the main offensive weapons for the Irish in 2016. I think both will be significantly better by 2016-17, but I'd have to give the edge to Reimer who has proved herself in big moments.

Also, I'd definitely rank Allen over Nurse at this point in their careers. Allen has been the starting point guard for 2 outstanding Notre Dame teams and she has improved immensely from her freshman to sophomore year. She can shoot from long, beat you off the dribble, and plays really solid defense. She is terrific as a floor general and has been a major reason why Notre Dame has been so good offensively the last two years. Nurse is going to improve and be sensational at Connecticut, but in terms of pure point guard play, I'd give a big advantage to Allen who will be a 4th year starting point guard compared to Nurse who will have played 2 guard for the vast majority of her time at Connecticut until that point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Given the musical chairs between May 9 when this thread started and now some six weeks later, I find the whole premise of predicting team strength 18 months out a wee bit amusing!

Given that two of the 'favorites' above are pushing the limit of 15 scholarships, and that has a tendency to make chemistry difficult, we could easily see more musical chairs next year.

I like the Uconn team and certainly think there are a bunch of strong competitors in 16-17. And Uconn will be replacing two (and possibly three) top 3 type draft picks so there will be a significant transition for them. Other teams will be more upper-class dominated and that could bode well for them.
Agree completely. Throw in that Cox, Holmes, or McCoy could easily shift the balance of power of the top teams as could UCONN losing one of the Assistant coaches.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tuck is more polished offensively than Turner, but Turner is a better rebounder/defender and she has significantly more upside than Tuck Tuck is outstanding in her own right, but physically isn't in the same league as Turner and in two years I'd expect Turner to establish herself as a better player than Tuck.

I'm a huge fan of Turner's talent, but it's hard to believe she has "significantly" more upside than Tuck. Better rebounder and shot-blocker, sure. Tuck's actually a very good defender all over the court and has one of the best and most efficient post games in the country. Tuck's an All-American who may only get on that list once as a result of an archaic rule.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of Turner's talent, but it's hard to believe she has "significantly" more upside than Tuck. Better rebounder and shot-blocker, sure. Tuck's actually a very good defender all over the court and has one of the best and most efficient post games in the country. Tuck's an All-American who may only get on that list once as a result of an archaic rule.
Tuck's a terrific all-around player. Fun to watch.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

The upside factor is more a product of her athleticism and being unpolished than anything else. Tuck is a very polished offensive player, where Turner isn't right now. I'd look for Turner to develop a better midrange jumper, a face up game and back to the basket post game over the next couple of years. She already runs the floor better than anyone in the country and finishes alley oops at the rim, which are some things Tuck doesn't do and probably will not add to her offensive arsenal. If Turner adds this to her game, she will truly be a match up nightmare similar to how Stewart is a match up nightmare because opponents cannot defend Stewart's length and she can score from inside and out.

Tuck is also a strong defender, but again, she isn't going to own the paint defensively like Stewart or Turner can. I'm not slighting Tuck at all--I think she is a fantastic player who will develop into a very good pro which I didn't see happening after her freshman season, but physically she isn't in the same league that Turner is.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The upside factor is more a product of her athleticism and being unpolished than anything else. Tuck is a very polished offensive player, where Turner isn't right now. I'd look for Turner to develop a better midrange jumper, a face up game and back to the basket post game over the next couple of years. She already runs the floor better than anyone in the country and finishes alley oops at the rim, which are some things Tuck doesn't do and probably will not add to her offensive arsenal. If Turner adds this to her game, she will truly be a match up nightmare similar to how Stewart is a match up nightmare because opponents cannot defend Stewart's length and she can score from inside and out.

Tuck is also a strong defender, but again, she isn't going to own the paint defensively like Stewart or Turner can. I'm not slighting Tuck at all--I think she is a fantastic player who will develop into a very good pro which I didn't see happening after her freshman season, but physically she isn't in the same league that Turner is.

Gee, this girl Turner is projected to become so damned good that she will surely win more NC's than Williams, the Ogwumike sisters, Ochonwa, Bales, or Vaughn. Maybe as many as Griner.:rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tuck can't match Turner in athleticism, that's for sure. But I'd put her skill level against Turner's. Tuck's basketball IQ is very high as well. Much like Stewart, Tuck won't put up jaw-dropping numbers at UConn because of the way they play and because she's one slice of the puzzle. ND may eventually need Turner to be a more dominant player.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Tuck won't put up jaw-dropping numbers at UConn because of the way they play and because she's one slice of the puzzle.

Unless she plays ND then she drops 25

Side note* IMHO I agree she may not have the "natural" athletic ability of Turner, but rather is more consistent with the ball under the basket. Yes, Turner turned into a star during last season's Final 4 (that's where stars are born) but I still think she has work to do if we want to say she is the best in the position (Morgan tops the cake)

It will be nice to watch her develop. Not a ND fan in any way but I'll be following them as long as they have her

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
People don't give Tuck enough credit because she isn't "flashy". What she is however is consistent. You can count on Tuck to so what its necessary to win. I haven't seen Turner do enough to pick her over Tuck if there was a pick up game this very minute. Morgan Tuck's nick name in my house is footwork. She knows how to play her position and given the coaching she's had, I'd take her over Turner any day.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck's nick name in my house is footwork.
Really? You couldn't come up with something cooler? Like Killer, the Paint Assassin, Tucks, MoTuck, the Fighting Illini (ian?), the Dream.

Morgan "Footwork" Tuck. Nah, no ring to that. :cool:

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Footwork is perfect...just watch how she gets herself into successful positioning EVERY time. And what is it...68% she makes it? I'll take that

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Really? You couldn't come up with something cooler? Like Killer, the Paint Assassin, Tucks, MoTuck, the Fighting Illini (ian?), the Dream.

Her footwork is just so darn good. She scores over bigger players because of it. I'm not the best at nick names as it is... my daughters nick name is Poop, so I probably should leave the nick names to others lol:)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Footwork is perfect...just watch how she gets herself into successful positioning EVERY time. And what is it...68% she makes it? I'll take that
Exactly, I remember watching her in the SCar game and I looked at my wife and said... she is just so good. She just finds a way with her footwork to get around players that should be able to defend her well. She did it over and over again. I saw her do it in the Texas game as well as the ND game. Opponents with a clear height advantage couldn't keep her from the rim. She didn't have to be flashy or dance around. She just gets there. She knows how to position herself to make a play.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Morganator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member