Let the Carousel begin! | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Plus let’s not underestimate that Williams was supposed to be a recruiting guru …. And the Vols had dismal results the last few years. So what exactly was her value add?
Vol fans upset believing this means Gray was bound for Knoxville but for not retaining Williams. A bit delusional.

Williams's hiring was touted as a "shot across the bow" of women's basketball but high school recruiting results left a lot to be desired. The Vols pulled some decent recruits from the portal but that's not sustainable.

Reaction Score
Plus let’s not underestimate that Williams was supposed to be a recruiting guru …. And the Vols had dismal recruiting results the last few years. So what exactly was her value add?
Vol Nation seemed to think she was going to stay around and she was needed to give the LVs a strong position in recruiting, which I didn’t get considering their lack of high school signees the last few years.

Reaction Score
Vol Nation seemed to think she was going to stay around and she was needed to give the LVs a strong position in recruiting, which I didn’t get considering their lack of high school signees the last few years.
From what I remember reading most of their fans were blaming Coach Harper for not being able to “finish” with the high school recruits. She always impressed me as a recruiter when she was at Louisville.

Reaction Score
Helping with recruiting I get, but how is it all on Williams in the end? If players who visit didn't get a vibe with the coaches or the team, I don't see how that's all Coach Williams' fault. She has a part in this 100%, but I would expect Coach Harper to be the one who had to sell the program and close the deal.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
From afar, I am not sure that given what Tennessee has settled into as a program that Williams was recruiting the type of recruits that really wanted to go to Tennessee vs. those that just wanted their name listed. Part of the recruiters job is to understand who the staff will relate to, how each recruit meets the skills the program needs and how signable each recruit is. Various people want to now cite how good a recruiter Holly was yet the complaint over her years is the players never meshed with each other and fit the system. It will be interesting to see how the new coach does.

Reaction Score
From what I remember reading most of their fans were blaming Coach Harper for not being able to “finish” with the high school recruits. She always impressed me as a recruiter when she was at Louisville.

Yup.... And I would have to agree. There were so many players that had Tenn as one of their final teams. They were always the brides maid and never the bride. I feel as though Sam got them in the door, but Coach Harper couldn't close it.

Reaction Score
Helping with recruiting I get, but how is it all on Williams in the end? If players who visit didn't get a vibe with the coaches or the team, I don't see how that's all Coach Williams' fault. She has a part in this 100%, but I would expect Coach Harper to be the one who had to sell the program and close the deal.
I don’t disagree but if I were a new coach coming in and saw the lack of recruiting success, I’d be loathe to keep the coach responsible for it around.

While everyone in an organization is part of a team it’s up to each to do their assigned job. As I see it she was in charge of recruiting and didn’t deliver so why should she be still employed (nothing personal about her but just how I’m viewing the situation).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree but if I were a new coach coming in and saw the lack of recruiting success, I’d be loathe to keep the coach responsible for it around.

While everyone in an organization is part of a team it’s up to each to do their assigned job. As I see it she was in charge of recruiting and didn’t deliver so why should she be still employed (nothing personal about her but just how I’m viewing the situation).
And, the new coach might have a different idea of the types of players she wants to go after and how to approach them. If Williams is highly thought of, she'll pick up another gig soon enough.

Reaction Score
And, the new coach might have a different idea of the types of players she wants to go after and how to approach them. If Williams is highly thought of, she'll pick up another gig soon enough.
This. The fact she was such a respected recruiter and the team still wasn’t landing many prospects speaks volumes about the program overall and not just Williams.

Reaction Score
I think Tennessee was smart to finally go outside the giant shadow of Summit and get a completely different coaching style. I think if Caldwell is ready for big time recruiting they will be a team to be watched. I love this hire.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I see this as more ‘ coach resigning and blaming NIL’.
Portal, I think, not NIL. That fits the issues as she described them better, as said the NIL at DII not likely a huge factor.

Reaction Score
Underwhelming hire--wow.
Don't know much of her background. Wish we knew how large of a search was conducted. Could have been a situation where their initial choices declined? No clue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom