Let the Carousel begin! | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
This. I’m not necessarily speaking specifically regarding Stanford as I don’t know if the assistant should have gotten it but in general. I understand a coach wanting to name a successor but whoever replaces the coach should be the best for the program.
No worries; I hear they have 6 Tara Vanderveers on the bench ready to step in.

iykyk :)

Reaction Score
I’m shocked he didn’t last in his P5 job.
He wasn't fired from Michigan. He just chose to go back to Wisconsin Green Bay. I respect that he made that decision which he felt was best for him.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I’m shocked he didn’t last in his P5 job.
He wasn't fired, if that's what you are saying. He didn't like the fact that coaching in the power conference took all his time and energy, he didn't feel it was worth it.

We ran into him in Cleveland in 2007, wearing our Rutgers gear (this was the year he had almost beaten UConn) and he said that if he had had Rutgers' Kia Vaughn, he thought he might have been able to win his game against UConn. Nice guy.

Reaction Score
He wasn't fired, if that's what you are saying. He didn't like the fact that coaching in the power conference took all his time and energy, he didn't feel it was worth it.

Either way, my point was he didn’t seem to be handling well the pressures of the job.

Reaction Score
I am not saying that Tricia could replicate what Wes has done but I do think she has earned her stripes
Tricia Cullop, who has years of sustained top-notch work. Now Cullop will get her chance in the ACC. Change is interesting..and tough sometimes.
Well, I did say I would wait and give her a chance..........and so far I like what I'm hearing. She really knows what she's doing and I feel confident she knew exactly what she was walking in to at Miami.

This is someone who is really looking to take Miami to the next level in all facets. At her official first intro/press conference she practically quoted @Dillon77 about the difficulties of change especially for the players. She has also retained several previous staff members including the main asst. HC Fitzroy which was an incredibly savvy move on her part in order to facilitate that transition, retain core group of players and incoming freshmen, and especially recruiting future players whom he is very familiar with.

My overall first impression was of someone who is very no-nonsense lets-get-it-done type of person but with compassion. She's not in to wasting time - hers or anybody else's.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, I did say I would wait and give her a chance..........and so far I like what I'm hearing. She really knows what she's doing and I feel confident she knew exactly what she was walking in to at Miami.

This is someone who is really looking to take Miami to the next level in all facets. At her official first intro/press conference she practically quoted @Dillon77 about the difficulties of change especially for the players. She has also retained several previous staff members including the main asst. HC Fitzroy which was an incredibly savvy move on her part in order to facilitate that transition, retain core group of players and incoming freshmen, and especially recruiting future players whom he is very familiar with.

My overall first impression was of someone who is very no-nonsense lets-get-it-done type of person but with compassion. She's not in to wasting time - hers or anybody else's.
She apparently drove from Toledo to Cleveland during the Final Four with the express purpose of meeting, pitching and -- ultimately -- retaining HC Fitzroy.

Reaction Score
Coach Yo will have an entirely new roster of assistants next year. Here is one of those who escaped.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Coach Yo will have an entirely new roster of assistants next year. Here is one of those who escaped.

Coach Yo must have not been happy with something to change her whole assistance coaching staff.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

My Bulldogs. Grabbed a coach from the D2 ranks ... Elizabeth City State (NC) My Vikings. Former player at NC State and WNBA Vet Tynesha Lewis

@LETTERL @FanInNC Yall remember her??

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

She's been well regarded as an assistant. Awfully tough gig for first head coaching role. Pepperdine has very little history, and were absolutely awful this last season. At least campus is in a nice location, about a minute from the beach.

Reaction Score

My Bulldogs. Grabbed a coach from the D2 ranks ... Elizabeth City State (NC) My Vikings. Former player at NC State and WNBA Vet Tynesha Lewis

She played at State while I was in HS. Her freshman year was the other Final Four year, 1998. Her, Summer Erb and Chasity Melvin!

Guess you’ll have to refer to them as “our Bulldogs” when discussing Asheville basketball with me from now on.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

I do. She had the first triple double in NC State history. And I remember she hit a THREE right before halftime in a game at Texas that drew us to within a few points at halftime.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She's been well regarded as an assistant. Awfully tough gig for first head coaching role. Pepperdine has very little history, and were absolutely awful this last season. At least campus is in a nice location, about a minute from the beach.
Absolutely beautiful campus, Rutgers played there when Julie Rousseau was the coach. At the time it looked like Pepperdine might be up and coming at its level, but nothing much came of it.

Reaction Score
She apparently drove from Toledo to Cleveland during the Final Four with the express purpose of meeting, pitching and -- ultimately -- retaining HC Fitzroy.
Well, that didn't last long. More and more it's looking like the AD is cleaning house and putting in his own people. All of the previous staff is now gone as are most of the remaining players (and I expect they'll be leaving as well). I am hearing from those who should know that Meier was forced out. The replacement of the assistant AD last year and the unfriendly manner of her replacement was a sign of things to come I think. I think there's something more at play here also but feel it's best not to express that here.

Reaction Score
Seems this was inevitable. Williams was hired for her recruiting prowess, but their high school recruiting has been virtually non-existent the past couple years. Part of the blame has to go to coach Harper. She got on that portal carousel and couldn't get off. They made a ton of finalist lists, but very few were actually making it to campus.

Reaction Score
It's really rare for a new HC to keep assistant coaches from the previous staff. Whoever wrote that tweet can't actually be surprised can they?

Plus let’s not underestimate that Williams was supposed to be a recruiting guru …. And the Vols had dismal recruiting results the last few years. So what exactly was her value add?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom