Let the Carousel begin! | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
Who’s the first p6 coach to hit the road?

I don’t think it’ll be McKeown or Bruno, as that will (or should) be handled with a little care.
I think it’ll be someone who loses opening round tourney game and the AD is already ready to go.
Butler, neighbors, Missouri …

Reaction Score
I agree on Elzy having another year. But that eye popping Ark loss on Sunday caught my eye.

Reaction Score
Elzy is as good as gone at Kentucky. Who are some good candidates for that job?
You sure?
Was it 2 years ago they won the SECT? Feel like that’ll buy her an extra year

Reaction Score
I feel like McKeown has to be about to retire. They are not a successful team obviously and he had health issues this year.

Reaction Score
I feel like McKeown has to be about to retire. They are not a successful team obviously and he had health issues this year.
Absolutely. I just don’t think it will happen 5 minutes after the game ends, which is what can happen to coaches that are being fired.

I would hope the AD would be a little more respectful.

Reaction Score
You sure?
Was it 2 years ago they won the SECT? Feel like that’ll buy her an extra year
lol it was one nice weekend run with an all time talent in Rhyne Howard. Outside that her record has been atrocious.

She has basically finished last in the SEC back to back years and is recruiting terribly. She's mostly destroyed everything Matthew Mitchell built at Kentucky.

Reaction Score
lol it was one nice weekend run with an all time talent in Rhyne Howard. Outside that her record has been atrocious.

She has basically finished last in the SEC back to back years and is recruiting terribly. She's mostly destroyed everything Matthew Mitchell built at Kentucky.
I agree things are not going well. Just not sure an AD is going to pull the trigger yet.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@Vowelguy - You always do a superb job of annually bringing up this job. Thanks again.
However, @DefenseBB put together a thread which he (and others) have been adding to thoughout the year, that includes information like length of contracts/buyouts, etc.

I kind feel naked without it. Or, it's economical to just go through the thread to check on things like Elzy's contract (i think it's through '27).

Could we merge the two? (@HuskyNan, what do you think?)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Here's an excellent, relatively current post from @DefenseBB that might serve as a reference point.

Category #1. Need to Retire
1. Joe McKeown, Northwestern 13 yrs. He will be 68 in May and frankly his team is terrible.
2. Doug Bruno, DePaul 36 years. Doug is 73 and has had a great career but his team is terrible and he has suffered mass defections the past two years. It's ok to retire and enjoy a broadcasting career.
3, Kelly Graves, Oregon 10 years. Techinically he will be 62 in July and is a little young to retire but I am trying to let him "bow out gracefully" and let the school off the hook from having to fire him. Oregon moves to the Big 10 next year and I am not thinking he is up to the challenge. He has had MASS defections the past 4 years- the who recruiting class of 2020 (Scherr, Parrish, Watson, Dugalic, Paopao); class of 2021 Bigby, 2022 Jennah Isai, plus tranfers in of Rogers and Prince who transferred out. Mallory McGwire same recruiting class as Sabrina, transferred out after 2 years. And Yes, @Bigboote Sabrina WAS EVERYTHING for that program, she made everyone better and was the face of not only Oregon, the PAC12 and WCBB as well. While Satou is a nice player, she's not a star and neither is Hebard. That said, Thanks Kelly but please bow out gracefully as it's clear players do not want to play for you.
#4. Nell Fortner, Georgia Tech 5 years. She will be 65 in March and while GT needed her due to the abuse allegations and she is a class act, the fact is the program is mediocre at best and below what the school should expect.

Category #2. Performance is showing the spiral is not recoverable even if the AD doesn't want to admit it.
#1. Kyra Elzy, Kentucky 4 years. mass defections, poor performance, no recrutiing but her contract is until 2027.
#2. Kellie Harper, Tennessee, 5 years, zero HS recruiting, mediocre performance and dropping attendance from this once mighty program. Again, her contract is $1.1 mil per year and is until 2028.
#3. Christa Gurlich, Texas Tech 4 years. Another hire who had to "right the ship" after abuse allegations but this once attendance stalwart needs to improve and Christa is not up to the challenge. She will not make the NCAAT but may make the WNIT for the second time. She will not be fired but the writing is on the wall.
#4. Natashia Adair, Arizona State 2 years. Zero chance of her being fired but NOTHING looks like improvement is coming here. It is inevitable she have issues in the new league next year.
#5. Joe Tartamello, St. John's 12 years. One of Geno's buddies that may be severely hampered by the school but it's been 12 years and what exactly has his built? He won't be fired but he will be middle of the pack AGAIN in a conference with 4 really bad teams.
#6. Tina Langley Washington, 3 years. While I do think this is better than Jody Wynn, as NWHoop would say, how could it not be? Tina has been a disappointment but she's down on this list as doing better than the 5 ahead of her and her school will not fire her this year. She too is headed into new territory next year and will be eaten alive by the Big 10.
#7. Coquese Washington, Rutgers, 2 years. I have no idea what possessed the RU AD to hire her without her proving her HC abilities at a mid-Maor. Her last 5 years at PSU were an abject failure. Why the AD thought spending 2 years at ND as an assistant enabled her to run a progam is odd. There have been a few coaches who failed at a P5, rebuilt their brand at a mid-major and then had or are having success at a P5 in the second go round, Kellie Harper, Felisha Legette-Jack to name 2. I think that is what Coquese needed to do but if the AD at P5 offers....
#8 Megan Gebbia, Wake Forest 2nd year. Starting 6-25 in conference play including 1-12 this year is a rough start to a career. The evidence is enough to tell me she's in over her head but it is only year 2 so she will not be fired.
#9. Billie Chambers, Xavier 1st year. I know she has had injuries but man, is this team bad. This is by far the worst team in the P6. She is making Melanie Moore look good by comparison. But she too is #8 for a reason, it's her first year and she will be given the length of her whole 5 year contract....

Category #3. The list of coaches who really have shown very little to warrant keeping. This is not fair from a "wanting someone to be fired perspective" and is no way an indictment on their person, only a reflection of their job performance given their circumstances.
#1. Amanda Butler, Clemson 6 years. She's 31-71 in the ACC. She made the NCAAT her first year and has done very little since.
#2. Robin Pingeton, Missouri 14 years. She was on the clock to have to make the NCAAT but as noted, her AD has left. Will the new AD keep her? Probably not as her contract expires next year and from what I have is a reasonable buyout at $400K.
#3. Joanne Bernabei-McNamee, Boston College 6 years. She showed initial promise but still hasn't made an NCAAT and she keeps losing her best players to the portal for whatever reason. The performance is getting worse, not better and it has been 6 years now.
#4. Anthony Bozzella, Seton Hall, 11 years. Yes, he's another of Geno's friends and yes, I am sure many of my BY colleagues like the guy but face it, he has never made an NCAAT, he can't recruit, he gets marginal portal players and he's not all that great with the media. 11 years is enough time to know what you got and SHU knows what they have, will the AD do something?
#5. Carolyn Kieger, Penn State, 5 years. She was definitely on the hot seat before the year and up until recently looked safe but her latest spiral may cause the AD to rethink.
#6. Charmin Smith, California 5 years. She too was on the hot seat before the year and I don't think she's done enough to warrant more years, especially moving to the ACC next year but her team is playing better now. I will potentially update my view after the PAC 12 Tournament and hear what @Plebe has to say after he has lunch with her in Vegas....:cool:

I am not trying to be harsh or mean but using W/L record or lmited success to justify my inclusion on the "hot seat". What say you?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The other thread is five pages and was started in September. The link to the older thread is here for reference so we can consider this the “part two” continuation
Fine..I purloined the most valuable post from that thread to help this newer one (as most know, I'm big on reference and research). Should we freeze the other?

Reaction Score
@Vowelguy - You always do a superb job of annually bringing up this job. Thanks again.
However, @DefenseBB put together a thread which he (and others) have been adding to thoughout the year, that includes information like length of contracts/buyouts, etc.

I kind feel naked without it. Or, it's economical to just go through the thread to check on things like Elzy's contract (i think it's through '27).

Could we merge the two? (@HuskyNan, what do you think?)
Sorry.

Was intending this as more a guessing contest on who will be 1st. Apologies for the new thread

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Sorry.

Was intending this as more a guessing contest on who will be 1st. Apologies for the new thread
No apologies, necessary: you've -- if memory serves -- always brought up this.
As noted, DefenseBB was stuck in a monotonous meeting and just did the research we always bring up on second go round. Now, we've got the link and his major post.

As for me, I thank Uncle Joe needs to join his daughter at Big Ten network as a guest commentator.
The Northwestern hire will be interesting. They've invested million in the hoops facilities. Will they follow a Vandy-route and hire an upcoming star like Shea Ralph, who has pedigree? Or will they take a regional coach? Or a tweener?

Reaction Score
I agree things are not going well. Just not sure an AD is going to pull the trigger yet.
This. I don't see things improving much but I just don't think it's this year.

Reaction Score
Carly Thibault-DuBonis from Fairfield will surely get attention. She was previously an assistant at Minn I believe, so she may have some MW connections that would be appealing to a BiG team.

Or if StJ/SH are looking, she’s just a few miles away.

Reaction Score
Most schools don't have a deep desire to pay two coaches for a Women's Basketball team. If you aren't one of the top 5 or 6 programs in the country the revenue it would take to change isn't worth it. ADs will just let the clock run out and when the contract is up try to find another coach for little or no pay to replace them. The more the current coach makes the less likely they are to be fired without cause.

Reaction Score
A report came out last week or the week before, she is being backed by the AD. She's at least getting another year.
Where did you see this report? I follow pretty closely and haven't seen anything regrading that. In fact, most people that are close to the program think she's done there.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Carly Thibault-DuBonis from Fairfield will surely get attention. She was previously an assistant at Minn I believe, so she may have some MW connections that would be appealing to a BiG team.

Or if StJ/SH are looking, she’s just a few miles away.
Question: SU? Possibly SJU?

BTW, another local coach who could be pried is Megan Griffith of Columbia. Yes, she's a Lion alum but her meal ticket, Abby Tsu, is out of eligibility after this year. I can't see her moving to SJU or SHU. However, I could see a Northwestern and she having a mutual conversation.

Reaction Score
I think he meant for the rest of the season he is hopeful for a late run. Results are results, and if Mitch gives her another year he is basically telling fans he doesn't care about the wbb program.

If she had some highly ranked recruits or handling the portal well she would maybe have a small chance, but that's just not the case.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Who’s the first p6 coach to hit the road?

I don’t think it’ll be McKeown or Bruno, as that will (or should) be handled with a little care.
I think it’ll be someone who loses opening round tourney game and the AD is already ready to go.
Butler, neighbors, Missouri …
Butler? Austin Parkinson is finishing his 2nd year. There is ZERO chance of him being fired. As discussed in the Hot Seat thread, there are many candidates with a wide range of variabilities that will be used as excuses to delay the inevitable. BC Joanne Bernabei-McNamee just finished year 6 and is now spiraling down with top players recently transferring out. This performance in totality should cause her release with a first round exit. The other strong candidate is Robin Pingeton at Missouri but as noted, with a new AD, she may be given a 1 year reprieve and most certainly with not be the first. I do think Joe M could graciously announce his retirement shortly after his last game to allow for accolades and nice reflection at the Big 10 Tournament. Doug may be given the opportunity to play out his current contract whenever that ends as DePaul has a higher priority to find a Men's coach and I don't think the Department wants to have two high profile searches this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom