Kia Nurse Signs with UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse Signs with UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree. I don't think the importance of the inside game is going to diminish.
The inside game is not going to diminish but it is going to change and has changed, especially with penetration. I also believe these new recruits are new look of the WCBB as well as Stewart and Wilson. Those two are not just bigs, but as Geno sees guards in a big's body who will take full advantage of the new no contact rules.

Reaction Score
I doubt this had anything to the new rules or a changing landscape. Geno recruited and accepted the commitments of 4 guards because he recruits people, not positions.
I wasn't saying he tailored his recruiting to the new rules, but rather has the foresight to see how to integrate these players' skill sets into the new framework better than anyone else. Yesterday's game was an eye opener in the way he played four guards, three guard sets successfully, penetrating, grabbing rebounds, out rebounding a bigger team.

Reaction Score
what is Geno gonna do with all these guards he has signed in a couple of years? Stewie will be the center and play with four guards on court?
Don't worry, these girls are still young and some of them could be 6'3" by the time they get to Storrs. :D

Reaction Score
The inside game is not going to diminish but it is going to change and has changed, especially with penetration. I also believe these new recruits are new look of the WCBB as well as Stewart and Wilson. Those two are not just bigs, but as Geno sees guards in a big's body who will take full advantage of the new no contact rules.
This is gonna kill Utenn defense, oh I mean offense or do I mean defense or is it their offense???

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Your assumption is focused on a one game sample. We have had single games in the past where the guards were the chief rebounders. It is something that drove some members of the Boneyard crazy and to conclude that Stef was a terrible rebounder instead of recognizing she was often screening two players off the boards for other players to sweep.

Reaction Score
My fingers are crossed too with Wilson, Durr and Samuelson. While we are being greedy, I would also love to see us land an elite, talented center like Kalani Brown '15 and / or Lauren Cox '16. From what I've read, Wilson is more interested in playing the 3 /4 than 5 position. Also De'Janae Boykin '15 would make a great addition as a forward which is a position we will need some talent and size in. So happy and excited we got Kia Nurse! A great day for UCONN WCBB.
AMEN! I too have hoped for a Kalani Brown who is 6'6" right now and supposedly still growing and has amazing talent. She could be the next Griner, but without the attitude.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with this get. I believe Nurse is easily one of the top 10 kids in the class, perhaps even top 5. But instead of focusing on what rating the kids are...

Ekmark - a threat from anywhere on the court, great shot, very high BBIQ, daughter of a coach, and an incredibly hard worker.
Williams - athleticism off the charts, and an incredible all around game to boot.
Edwards - sort of came out of nowhere - a local product who spent the last season working hard on, and fine tuning, her PG skills. Makes her an even better guard.
Nurse - starter on the Canadian national team as a junior in high school. Great shooter and leader. 6' tall guard with an offensive game like Sveta, and defense and work ethic like Kelly Faris.

An incredibly well rounded class of guards and wings. And an amazingly talented bunch. I couldn't be more thrilled with the group we have, regardless of whether we land Wilson or not. Congrats to the staff for doing a great job and welcome to all 4 of the young ladies!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I like the fact that all of these folks are really combo guards with wing capability - and I am sure Geno and Shea do too. Geno's system doesn't pigeonhole players into fixed roles if they are capable of more - he wants posts and forwards with range and he wants players that understand if you don't put the ball in the basket you lose. And ideally everyone has PG skills and a point guard is just as comfortable as a spot up shooter or slasher to the basket.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dove is very excited about this group of playaz. Very excited.

I don't wanna see no doc
I need attendance from my nurse around the clock
For there's no prescription for me
She is the one, the only remedy

- "Night Nurse", Gregory Isaacs

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like the fact that all of these folks are really combo guards with wing capability - and I am sure Geno and Shea do too. Geno's system doesn't pigeonhole players into fixed roles if they are capable of more - he wants posts and forwards with range and he wants players that understand if you don't put the ball in the basket you lose. And ideally everyone has PG skills and a point guard is just as comfortable as a spot up shooter or slasher to the basket.

In one of the Horde's blogs today Geno is quoted as saying each of the 3 (still could not comment on Nurse w/o paper in hand) is different and that when you recruit players whose games are the same you only invite trouble. Interesting.

Reaction Score
Considering Geno's typically thin rosters and the rising number of injuries in WCBB, it will be a real advantage for Uconn to have a Nurse right on the bench.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
From Nan's news links today [via the Hamilton Scores sports news]:

"Nurse says she has dreamed of playing for Connecticut since she was in Grade 7."

That would have been during the 2008-09 season where we beat Louisville for the NC. The record winning streak grew from there, so she had plenty of victories to watch in 8th and 9th grade, too.

:)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Is Kia's older sister on the current Oregon squad that we face tonight?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thought this quote from Kia's dad was very telling:
Coach Auriemma is the senior women’s national team coach, so he’s fully aware of the commitment it takes to get to that level. That was a deciding factor for us.
Speaks to the plus/minus value of being the National Team coach when it comes to recruiting - we had a long thread about that this summer. At least in this one instance the weight comes down on the positive side of the balance.

(But of course they are Canadian so what do they know! :oops::) )

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Kia’s older sister, Tamika, also played for the Knights, suited up for Canada at world junior championships and accepted a basketball scholarship at University of Oregon

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
kia_nurse_uconn.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kia’s older sister, Tamika, also played for the Knights, suited up for Canada at world junior championships and accepted a basketball scholarship at University of Oregon
Later it says ... 2001-2004 so her college days were probably 2005-2008 - long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom