January UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

January UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My second game watching Piath Gabriel was like the song I’m Henry th 8th I am. Second verse same as the first. Tonight she was apparently in the dog house and didn’t start. Came in at about the 5 minute mark and shortly thereafter was pull after playing Matador defense. Back in a few minutes later. Her teammates unable to get the ball into her in the low post, which is where she lives, while being guarded by a 5’9” fire plug who may have outweighed her. Surprised her coach didn’t Try her a high post.
Tonight’s low lights
0 for 2 on layups
2 of 5 on free throws
Not sure on rebounding but under 10
Did not start second half came in with 4 minutes left in 3rd Qtr.

Positive
When she returned in 3rd qtr she showed a bit of fire and was more aggressive. Maybe the sitting will set a fire.

Again IMHO she is definitely a project and would be best served by redshirting. Unless of course there is a major transformation in the next 9 months

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is consistent with my impression of Azzi as one of the sweetest kids around. She and her family got to know Kobe and Gigi. Azzi and Gigi shoot hoops with Pheesa in NYC in December. So tragic! I trust Azzi will carry Kobe’s legacy and Gigi’s memory forward.
She's a sweetie, no doubt. But on the court Mil, she's Fudd The Knife, and she will carve you up into small, edible pieces.

Reaction Score
What are UCONNs chances of offering and landing 2021 Student Athlete, SONIA CITRON out of Ursuline HS in New York. Know that Oregon and Stanford has extended offers to her. Do you think Geno has any strong interests in her? (Does someone of her position and "game" fit UCONN's needs for that incoming recruiting class?)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think if Fudd commits, I could see Ducharme also coming to UConn. The other alphas I think would go elsewhere but I think Ducharme could take a largely off the bench role to be close to home, competing in practice with the best, and winning championships.
I totally Agree with this

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Before she got to S Carolina Wilson considered herself a guard. Gabby Williams was her team's pg. Having your best player run the offense seems common in high school.
I have no experience watching Miles but the UConn offense at it's best doesn't revolve around one player, it moves from player to player in the course of a game and often from possession to possession. I am certain that both Bueckers and Fudd can adapt to being a 1, 2 or 3. If Miles can also then there is a place for her.
A large part of the premise is “ If Azzi did not come”. Miles has exceptional court vision is an elite passer. She does not yet have the ability to move off the ball and play SG or wing. Miles is also pigeoned toed and plays too upright & on the balls of her feet which makes her at times a defensive liability on the perimeter.
Even with Azzi I’d firmly be in the camp that says UCONN would need more considering that no combination of Kia Nurse, Crystal, Christyn, or KLS has resulted in a championship combination from the PG, SG, & SF positions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What are UCONNs chances of offering and landing 2021 Student Athlete, SONIA CITRON out of Ursuline HS in New York. Know that Oregon and Stanford has extended offers to her. Do you think Geno has any strong interests in her? (Does someone of her position and "game" fit UCONN's needs for that incoming recruiting class?)
Citron is great and she would do very well at UCONN as a sniper. Caroline Ducharme is a very similar (almost identical) player to Citron and appears to be in better standing because she visited UCONN a few months ago.

Reaction Score
Of all the guards besides Fudd, easily the one player I hate to lose.
Umm, she is not exactly ours to lose. She has been quoted as saying she used to be a Huskies fan but now would like to go almost anywhere else and beat UConn. She has since dialed the statement back a bit, but hasn't disavowed it. Personally, I think the coaches should focus on players who want to be here.

Reaction Score
Umm, she is not exactly ours to lose. She has been quoted as saying she used to be a Huskies fan but now would like to go almost anywhere else and beat UConn. She has since dialed the statement back a bit, but hasn't disavowed it. Personally, I think the coaches should focus on players who want to be here.
Do you have a link to that quote?

Reaction Score

I don't think there is much of a chance that Rivers comes to UConn, I think she will end up at SC or Maryland.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Rivers is a potential beast but people should not get this twisted! The title at the top of that video that Rivers is the best guard in 2021 class is dead wrong. Best guard in the 2021 class is Azzi Fudd.
Rivers is the best guard in the video.

Reaction Score
Rivers goes to a ton of NC State games. I wouldn’t count them out either. Maryland, South Carolina, and North Carolina all seem like very logical choices as well.

Reaction Score
I know this is counter to everyone's wishes on the BY, but it makes for more interesting competition in wcbb if the top talents are spread around a little bit instead of being concentrated in a few of the usual suspects. If Azzi somehow commits to Uconn, I would want to see Miles go somewhere else to balance out the power.

You're right. I don't care one bit about other teams. Let the other teams worry "interesting competition" as we steamroll everyone. I loved how it became "stop the press news" if we lost. I still wish badly UCONN had EDD. Can you imagine her with Maya and Tina? As a UCONN fan 1st and foremost - that's what I would prefer to see.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know this is counter to everyone's wishes on the BY, but it makes for more interesting competition in wcbb if the top talents are spread around a little bit instead of being concentrated in a few of the usual suspects. If Azzi somehow commits to Uconn, I would want to see Miles go somewhere else to balance out the power.
Yea, I think quite a few on here would prefer UCONN be "bad for WCBB" again. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: I’m waiting for someone to chime in and remind you that you can lose something you never had. Eg., UCONN never lost Boston. :D
That didn't take long! Around 10 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom