January UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

January UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is for @Carnac :

Thanks. That's what can happen when you skip through some of the posts, and don't read them all in the order they were posted. Had I done that, I would not have made that gaffe. It's quite easy for one to assume that a reference to "Olivia" was to ONO, instead of Olivia Miles. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think if Fudd commits, I could see Ducharme also coming to UConn. The other alphas I think would go elsewhere but I think Ducharme could take a largely off the bench role to be close to home, competing in practice with the best, and winning championships.
Agree that Decharme would play for her minutes, high or low. Many forget that some of our recent final 4 losses could have been prevented if we had an extra guard to offset injuries to Nurse and Danger. With Conn typically playing only 6-7 players, stress fractures, sprained ankles, etc. have been common. That 3rd guard would have gotten significant minutes in significant games.

Reaction Score
Do you have a link to that quote?

I wouldn't be too concerned. I recently read C Williams quoted that she started out her college search in the same "beat UConn" frame of mind.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree that Decharme would play for her minutes, high or low. Many forget that some of our recent final 4 losses could have been prevented if we had an extra guard to offset injuries to Nurse and Danger. With Conn typically playing only 6-7 players, stress fractures, sprained ankles, etc. have been common. That 3rd guard would have gotten significant minutes in significant games.
I agree that UCONN has needed a third guard for about 3 years now & still do. Caroline Ducharme would not be the 3rd guard however. Caroline would be more like the 5th or 6th. At a minimum UCONN would have Christyn (Senior), Paige (Sophomore) , Nika (Sophomore), and Saylor (Freshman) as guards. Anna (Junior) also play some minutes at guard and although very unlikely Westbrook (Senior) might still be on the UCONN roster. Caroline can play some SF/Wing but there she would be competing with Aaliyah, Megan, Aubrey, Saylor and Anna. Notice I've not used the name Azzi in these calculations. I'm not trying to be a downer here, but if Paige, Azzi & Christyn all all projected to be 30+ MPG type players where are there "significant" minutes available for another guard?

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I agree that UCONN has needed a third guard for about 3 years now & still do. Caroline Ducharme would not be the 3rd guard however. Caroline would be more like the 5th or 6th. At a minimum UCONN would have Christyn (Senior), Paige (Sophomore) , Nika (Sophomore), and Saylor (Freshman) as guards. Anna (Junior) also play some minutes at guard and although very unlikely Westbrook (Senior) might still be on the UCONN roster. Caroline can play some SF/Wing but there she would be competing with Megan, Aubrey, Saylor and Anna. Notice I've not used the name Azzi in these calculations. I'm not trying to be a downer here, but if Paige, Azzi & Christyn all all projected to be 30+ MPG type players where are there "significant" minutes available for another guard?
I don't think I agree with you here Coco. Ducharme is a shooter. Mir McLean is an athlete with a developing outside shot. There is little evidence of Muhl being able to consistently make anything from 15 feet and out. Aubrey can jump through the gym but shoots her outside shots flat footed. CW's shooting percentage will hopefully rise as she progresses but she has been inconsistent at best this year from the outside.

With or without Azzi, if Ducharme got here and consistently knocked down open threes in practice, Geno would play her against teams that play zone at the very least. The amount of minutes she gets would depend how well she can guard.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree that UCONN has needed a third guard for about 3 years now & still do. Caroline Ducharme would not be the 3rd guard however. Caroline would be more like the 5th or 6th. At a minimum UCONN would have Christyn (Senior), Paige (Sophomore) , Nika (Sophomore), and Saylor (Freshman) as guards. Anna (Junior) also play some minutes at guard and although very unlikely Westbrook (Senior) might still be on the UCONN roster. Caroline can play some SF/Wing but there she would be competing with Megan, Aubrey, Saylor and Anna. Notice I've not used the name Azzi in these calculations. I'm not trying to be a downer here, but if Paige, Azzi & Christyn all all projected to be 30+ MPG type players where are there "significant" minutes available for another guard?
You wouldn't include Edwards in the SF/Wing category?

Reaction Score
Yes, but you do have potential! ;)
hqdefault.jpg

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Thanks. That's what can happen when you skip through some of the posts, and don't read them all in the order they were posted. Had I done that, I would not have made that gaffe. It's quite easy for one to assume that a reference to "Olivia" was to ONO, instead of Olivia Miles. :confused:
Guess you might have to drop that "All Seeing" moniker my friend. Maybe Almost all or even nearly all! ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Guess you might have to drop that "All Seeing" moniker my friend. Maybe Almost all or even nearly all! ;)

Believe it or not, I did not put that in the custom title under my avatar. Someone on the inside did. I was surprised to see it there myself. If I was all seeing, I'd be very rich, and spending very little time here in the yard. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don't know, if Fudd commits to UConn, I think she will be the final 2021 commit. The 2021 roster would look like this:

Westbrook(possibly)
Williams
Nelson-Ododa
Griffin
Makurat
Bueckers
McClean
Edwards
Gabriel
Muhl
DeBerry
Poffenbarger
Fudd

There are not a lot of minutes to be had with that roster!

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, I did not put that in the custom title under my avatar. Someone on the inside did. I was surprised to see it there myself. If I was all seeing, I'd be very rich, and spending very little time here in the yard. ;)
I think being omnispective would be interesting. But perhaps even better if you could "unsee" certain things. To be as wealthy and above the Boneyard fray as you would desire, being omniscient might suit you better. ;)

Reaction Score
:eek: I’m waiting for someone to chime in and remind you that you can lose something you never had. Eg., UCONN never lost Boston. :D
That’s true, I guess I meant was that she looks as good as any other guard with the potential to be the best. I want her. Her game looks complete. I prefer Fudd buts it’s mostly off of everyone else’s opinion. I just know Fudd is an elite shooter and not much else. Rivers looks very complete. She obviously is not a shooter like Fudd is.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think I agree with you here Coco. Ducharme is a shooter. Mir McLean is an athlete with a developing outside shot. There is little evidence of Muhl being able to consistently make anything from 15 feet and out. Aubrey can jump through the gym but shoots her outside shots flat footed. CW's shooting percentage will hopefully rise as she progresses but she has been inconsistent at best this year from the outside.
With or without Azzi, if Ducharme got here and consistently knocked down open threes in practice, Geno would play her against teams that play zone at the very least. The amount of minutes she gets would depend how well she can guard.
One of UCONN's deepest championship teams 2012-13 had a 5 guard rotation (Banks-injury, Doty, Hartley, Jefferson, and Faris. Having both Ducharme and Fudd would push the 2021-22 UCONN roster to 7 guards & Westbrook would make it 8. Ducharme is definitely not a better shooter than Azzi, & probably not as good a shooter as Paige or Saylor.

Reaction Score
I don't know, if Fudd commits to UConn, I think she will be the final 2021 commit. The 2021 roster would look like this:

Westbrook(possibly)
Williams
Nelson-Ododa
Griffin
Makurat
Bueckers
McClean
Edwards
Gabriel
Muhl
DeBerry
Poffenbarger
Fudd

There are not a lot of minutes to be had with that roster!

for all of you UConn historians, what was the last UConn team that had at least ten players on their roster that could actually start for other top twenty teams?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ducharme is definitely not a better shooter than Azzi, & probably not as good a shooter as Paige or Saylor.

Based on reports and observation, I'd adamently disagree about Ducharme being a lesser shooter than Poffenbarger. Saylor can make shots but she's not efficient yet.

Reaction Score
Based on reports and observation, I'd adamently disagree about Ducharme being a lesser shooter than Poffenbarger. Saylor can make shots but she's not efficient yet.

from the video and written reports it seems Ducharme is a very good shooter...............I'm not as sure she's as athletic as the other players mentioned though........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
from the video and written reports it seems Ducharme is a very good shooter...............I'm not as sure she's as athletic as the other players mentioned though........

Saylor's got that extra height and length and is a strong passer--something that was noted in the report of her last game.

Despite finishing with 17 points, 14 rebounds and four steals, Poffenbarger seemed to shine the most when passing to teammates, including a lob into the middle of the paint to Melanie Pick and a pair of length-of-the-court heaves to Shipley.

Ducharme's a sharpshooter who can do things off the bounce as well. Both seemingly have strong BB IQ's.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ducharme is plenty athletic, she had an ACL in 2017 and has only recently been playing without a knee brace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom