Jalen & Amida in camp | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen & Amida in camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
C'mon everyone do NOT talk about AB and how he can be better. I mean after all this is a basketball discussion board, not a basketball...oh crap!

It's funny no one says he sucks or he doesn't help the team but if you dare say how he can get better people throw the hammer down. Strange . I mean someone twitted some stuff about him and how dare we offer our thoughts on a UConn basketball board. WTF

Reaction Score
Aaron Torres ‏@Aaron_Torres 4m4 minutes ago
UConn fans: Got a chance to speak with Amidah Brimah at #AdidasUprising this weekend. Lot of interesting quotes, will tweet a few out now

Aaron Torres ‏@Aaron_Torres 2m2 minutes ago
Brimah on last season: "It was definitely a reality check." Said older players have let them know missing the NCAA Tourney is unacceptable

Aaron Torres ‏@Aaron_Torres 1m1 minute ago
Brimah on freshman PG Jalen Adams: "Jalen's good, young, talented." Wouldn't compare him to Shabazz or any other former UConn guard

Aaron Torres ‏@Aaron_Torres 4s4 seconds ago
Brimah on the team's depth: "We definitely have depth. Every spot has depth. Last year we didn’t really have competition."

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
@James you don't think his rebounding can improve? Get stronger? More consistent jump shot? He's not a bad player, but he can definitely improve.

Reaction Score
It's not you mau, but there HAVE been people who've said he doesn't help the team, and more than just one or two.

No doubt he's better, even as is, than most team C's. Just could be really good with some simple mental improvement. I don't even think the physical is all that big of a deal quite honestly. Hopefully just playing games is going to make things become more natural for him because with that there will be noticeable improvements.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No doubt he's better, even as is, than most team C's. Just could be really good with some simple mental improvement. I don't even think the physical is all that big of a deal quite honestly. Hopefully just playing games is going to make things become more natural for him because with that there will be noticeable improvements.

The issue is, people want him to be on that Okafor/Thabeet level. Given how gifted he is and how well he's done so far considering his vast deficiencies in terms of experience, it's understandable for people to want him to live up to his potential. But just for some perspective, a center averaging a double-double in rebounding while maintaining 3 BPG and hitting a midrange jumper would probably be the best player in all of CBB period. So with that in mind, people are holding him to an unfair standard. Yes it would be nice for him to be that outstanding, but if he doesn't reach that level it isn't the end of the world. He is already a player that adds a great deal to the team, end-of-season slump aside. Given that this board apparently decried Shabazz as "UConn's worst point guard ever" a few years ago, I think that the criticism he receives here can be unwarranted at times.

Reaction Score
The issue is, people want him to be on that Okafor/Thabeet level. Given how gifted he is and how well he's done so far considering his vast deficiencies in terms of experience, it's understandable for people to want him to live up to his potential. But just for some perspective, a center averaging a double-double in rebounding while maintaining 3 BPG and hitting a midrange jumper would probably be the best player in all of CBB period. So with that in mind, people are holding him to an unfair standard. Yes it would be nice for him to be that outstanding, but if he doesn't reach that level it isn't the end of the world. He is already a player that adds a great deal to the team, end-of-season slump aside. Given that this board apparently decried Shabazz as "UConn's worst point guard ever" a few years ago, I think that the criticism he receives here can be unwarranted at times.

I get that but discussing how he can be better is not off limits now is it? We just say "he's as good as he will be" and leave it alone? C'mon we do it with everyone. Somehow he is untouchable because he hasnt' played long. Neither did Eemeka or Thabeet for that matter and I don't want him to be either of them. I want him to be as good as he can be so he has a life in the next level and as of now, or least the end of last season, he's not there. So why not hope he achieves his dreams? I don't get it - everyone berates Rodney and he hardly gets any support in comparison and many things said were much much worst.

Reaction Score
ofcourse brimah deserves criticism, he is an abhorrent defensive rebounder. i just find people discuss his flaws much more eagerly than his resounding impact on the floor... rodney deserves more criticism because he wasn't nearly the impact player brimah was and he is older // more hyped. its like people completely ignored his jump in production freshman year to sophomore year , and that includes 10+ mpg and much less fouling ( all while coming off surgery, imagine a full offseason? like this summer?)

C

Chief00

I think his hands are fine. His biggest problem to me is that he struggles to get position and if you take away his primary move in the post he has absolutely no counter.
Quite frankly, I agree.
As for the bad hands crowd I don't agree so much - I think it's more about hand strength. Getting stripped or not being strong enough to power through the plays. I hope that helps the understudies.

Reaction Score
ofcourse brimah deserves criticism, he is an abhorrent defensive rebounder. i just find people discuss his flaws much more eagerly than his resounding impact on the floor... rodney deserves more criticism because he wasn't nearly the impact player brimah was and he is older // more hyped. its like people completely ignored his jump in production freshman year to sophomore year , and that includes 10+ mpg and much less fouling ( all while coming off surgery, imagine a full offseason? like this summer?)

Brimah is older than Purvis.

Reaction Score
^ no he isn't . They are practically the same age , but when factoring in experience +coaching purvis is 'older' basketball wise . Pretty sure purv was a hyped 13-14 year old, probably around when AB started actually playing ?

Reaction Score
^ no he isn't . They are practically the same age , but when factoring in experience +coaching purvis is 'older' basketball wise . Pretty sure purv was a hyped 13-14 year old, probably around when AB started actually playing ?

Dude, it's ok to admit that you're wrong about something. Amida Brimah is older than Rodney Purvis. That's a fact.

Reaction Score
I dont know why you are having trouble understanding this

Reaction Score
You brought Purvis into the thread for no other reason then to rip him and then you were wrong about him being older than Brimah, fail all around.

Reaction Score
You brought Purvis into the thread for no other reason then to rip him and then you were wrong about him being older than Brimah, fail all around.
i didnt bring him into this thread. mau did. so it doesn't matter that purvis was highly ranked at 16 when brimah first started playing basketball? ok. and yes i was wrong about his age, by >4 days lmao.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people are harping on the DOB thing - it's three days. 362 days out of the year, Brimah and Purvis are basically the same age. Not that big of a deal to call them the same age.

Reaction Score
he was still wrong even if you call them the same age

Reaction Score
i didnt bring him into this thread. mau did. so it doesn't matter that purvis was highly ranked at 16 when brimah first started playing basketball? ok. and yes i was wrong about his age, by >4 days lmao.
Sorry thought you brought him up for no reason; didn't see Mau's post.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people are harping on the DOB thing - it's three days. 362 days out of the year, Brimah and Purvis are basically the same age. Not that big of a deal to call them the same age.
its perplexing to think other wise, not to mention the fact purvis had 3 year jump start in the circuit. its 100% reasonable to have more expectations for rp.

Reaction Score

Haha, he didn't call them the same age though. He explicitly said that Purvis is older than Brimah to rip on him, probably thinking that he was at least a year older.

Reaction Score
Haha, he didn't call them the same age though. He explicitly said that Purvis is older than Brimah to rip on him, probably thinking that he was at least a year older.

no i 'probably thought' he was 3 days older, thinking that any reasonable individual would consider that the same age. and as noted i didnt bring RP into this discussion. and all my points are valid despite you ignoring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom