IF there is Big 12 Expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

IF there is Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That statement ignores geography Nelson. It also ignores the possibility that the Big 12 might want a Florida presence.
Correct. And if it goes after Florida, it's going to try it's best to get FSU. GOR and exit fees be damned.

Reaction Score
Correct. And if it goes after Florida, it's going to try it's best to get FSU. GOR and exit fees be damned.

Given the current instability of the Big 12, and the revenue deficit between them and the ACC, what possible reason could FSU have for leaving the ACC for the Big 12? If the Big 12 gets a Florida school, it's going to be UCF.

Reaction Score
Posters are already making excuses for a Manuel failure that may be completely hypothetical.

So that's not good? But planning on firing him for not accomplishing something that is totally hypothetical is brlliant posting? Got it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That statement ignores geography Nelson. It also ignores the possibility that the Big 12 might want a Florida presence.

Then UConn never joins a major conference.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I would totally agree with nelson... if UConn was the best football school in the AAC, provided rich football recruiting territory, and was located close to the current B12 footprint (possibly including WV). If those things were true and the B12 still turned us down it would be firable grounds. Now, do any of those conditions fit UConn? Or do they fit another school?

Reaction Score
Given the current instability of the Big 12, and the revenue deficit between them and the ACC, what possible reason could FSU have for leaving the ACC for the Big 12? If the Big 12 gets a Florida school, it's going to be UCF.
Of course it would be difficult to get FSU. But they would try before they went to the directionals.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn needs to be one of the teams chosen or Manuel needs to be fired. So Manuel needs to skip the buffet line in the Bahamas and get it done. The Titanic has already sunk and we are bobbing around in the north Atlantic, freezing to death. Everyone left in the water also knows they are freezing to death, as Bronco Mendenhall's recent comments indicate. There are potentially two spots left in one of the lifeboats, and we need to get one of those two spots. It is going to be 2 of 3 of UConn, Cincinnati and BYU.

I also think the only way the Big 10 or ACC even consider giving UConn an invitation is if UConn gets invited by the Big 12.

This is it.

All do respect, Nelson, but I don't think you get to take credit for this.

1) Anyone who had been paying the least bit of attention already thinks this in some derivation.

2) You had been openly pining for the Athletic Department to drop football (either completely or to FCS) and move all sports to the Big East because in your mind it gains the Athletic department additional $Millions (after exit fees, that would potentially result in red ink), when $Tens of Millions are needed.

The great irony is that UConn would not even be in a position to be a long shot for the Big XII, had they followed your original enlightened path of wisdom.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All do respect, Nelson, but I don't think you get to take credit for this.

1) Anyone who had been paying the least bit of attention already thinks this in some derivation.

2) You had been openly pining for the Athletic Department to drop football (either completely or to FCS) and move all sports to the Big East because in your mind it gains the Athletic department additional $Millions (after exit fees, that would potentially result in red ink), when $Tens of Millions are needed.

The great irony is that UConn would not even be in a position to be a long shot for the Big XII, had they followed your original enlightened path of wisdom.

If UConn was in the Big East in basketball and independent in football with an SNY contract (which is my first choice), it would be in a MUCH better position for the Big 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Says the guy who wants to cancel football to guarantee that happens.

Either you are deliberately misrepresenting my position or are too stupid to understand it. Which is it?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
If UConn was in the Big East in basketball and independent in football with an SNY contract (which is my first choice), it would be in a MUCH better position for the Big 12.
Nope.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is the POST of the year.

The B12 is the next loser in Musical Chairs. It's only a matter of time before either Oklahoma ... Or Texas ... Or even Kansas ... Exits. Why? The disparity in Revenue is at least $55m to $21m and growing. The SEC or the B1G are clearly Winners. And this isn't about economics or academics purely. A Texas is hurting as TAM flourishes. The prestige of the B1G is now the Brass Ring. The B12 is a P5; but, soon to be a far lesser confederation. Like the MLS to the English Premier League.

UConn? All the correct things are being done. Huge advances in ranking & academic research & endowment. That's your leading indicator. Herbst has aimed at the Holy Grail.

So ... I don't care if BYU and Cincinnati go. Or BYU Hawaii. Good for them: they've gotten to the next level & both deserve it. But, watch that Contract renegotiation of the B1G; certainly in process today.

This is why I don't see how any of these G5 or BYU schools make any sense for the Big XII.

No combination of schools makes the league any more stable and we already know ESPN is in cost cutting mode so they certainly don't want to pay them any more than they already are.

Besides knowing they can hold a championship game with 12 and not knowing at 10 - how does this expansion make any sense at all?

Reaction Score
How could that be? It's true that we face slighter lower level competition in basketball in the AAC. However, being independent would guarantee that our football opponents would be below G5 quality. Playing ECU and UC and UCF and Navy regularly on ESPN networks is far better than any other scenario we could create ourselves.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The list of reasons why UConn makes no sense for the Big XII is pretty short and simple.

1. Geography
2. No interest in the football recruiting grounds.

Everyone ignores #2 - but it's what makes Rutgers, Maryland and Virginia a lot more valuable than their win/loss record.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
This is why I don't see how any of these G5 or BYU schools make any sense for the Big XII.

No combination of schools makes the league any more stable and we already know ESPN is in cost cutting mode so they certainly don't want to pay them any more than they already are.

Besides knowing they can hold a championship game with 12 and not knowing at 10 - how does this expansion make any sense at all?
It doesn't make sense, but they still might do it out of hopes of appeasing OU. As the weakes P5 conference they might get desparate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It doesn't make sense, but they still might do it out of hopes of appeasing OU. As the weakes P5 conference they might get desparate.

I guess I don't understand why Oklahoma would feel any better about the Big XII if BYU and Cincinnati showed up tomorrow.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The list of reasons why UConn makes no sense for the Big XII is pretty short and simple.

1. Geography
2. No interest in the football recruiting grounds.

Everyone ignores #2 - but it's what makes Rutgers, Maryland and Virginia a lot more valuable than their win/loss record.

Same could be said for every league when it comes to UConn. If that is the case, then UConn needs to evaluate its athletic department objectives, starting with, WTF is it doing in a southern mid-major conference playing Florida and Texas compass and city schools?

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is all about football, as is FSU. FSU joining the Big 12 instantly reverses the situation for both the Big 12 and ACC. I think if the Big 12 (Texas) was serious about the conference surviving long-term, it needs two more premier football programs currently in the P5.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How could that be? It's true that we face slighter lower level competition in basketball in the AAC. However, being independent would guarantee that our football opponents would be below G5 quality. Playing ECU and UC and UCF and Navy regularly on ESPN networks is far better than any other scenario we could create ourselves.

I won't debate anyone who thinks the AAC is a "slightly lower level of competition in basketball" than the Big East.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The consensus of this thread for everyone but me is that no matter how bad the athletic department gets and how many missed opportunities there are to upgrade our conference, Manuel is doing a good job. He can literally do no wrong.

Reaction Score
I won't debate anyone who thinks the AAC is a "slightly lower level of competition in basketball" than the Big East.
OK but the C7++ is nothing like the level of the old big east in basketball. Half those teams are in the ACC or AAC now. I'd love to play Georgetown but who the heck else is worth playing in there?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The consensus of this thread for everyone but me is that no matter how bad the athletic department gets and how many missed opportunities there are to upgrade our conference, Manuel is doing a good job. He can literally do no wrong.

That's not even close to the consensus if such a thing even exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom