IF there is Big 12 Expansion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

IF there is Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who believes that no current P5 teams will leave their conference in the next 10 years?
Yes.

It is merely a matter of when, not if, that the SEC decides to plant their flag in the states of Virginia and North Carolina, locking up the southern half of the east coast and landing the only states that were once in the confederacy that are not currently in the SEC.

Reaction Score
CTMike said:
If we can parlay that in to the ACC... Then win win all around.

That's what I said. Understand that might be what the Big 12 wants. Not what LV wants.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If we can parlay that in to the ACC... Then win win all around.
Or they add Cincy to pick up Ohio for cable boxes....and because BC, Clemson and FL St won't take us.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That's what I said. Understand that might be what the Big 12 wants. Not what LV wants.
If it's something that's actually being floated (no way for me to know obviously)... Then I would hope that UConn takes a few minutes to consider : how can we help incentivize/ alleviate any fears to make this happen? Money? Here's a check. Etc.

Really, same with any potential moves : what are the roadblocks and how do we mitigate them for all players.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Or they add Cincy to pick up Ohio for cable boxes....and because BC, Clemson and FL St won't take us.
IF ONLY WARDE PUT DOWN THE DONUT THEY WOULD LIKE US!

That's certainly possible too - plan for how to counter.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
IF ONLY WARDE PUT DOWN THE DONUT THEY WOULD LIKE US!

That's certainly possible too - plan for how to counter.

Taking this a different direction, I'm just looking forward to the new super AAC conference when we fold in Kanas St, Ok St, Iowa St, Texas Tech and WV!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What I heard today:

The Big 12 wants to expand, not disband.

Their targets?

BYU
Louisville.

No, I wasn't at a car wash.
Texas basically told the B-12 members who are their toads (BU, TCU, TT, KSU & ISU) that they could publicly favor expansion but only if it were for a school that has already turned the conference down (BYU) and one that would never leave the new home they are thrilled to be part of (UL). This is B-12 expansion Longhorn style.

Reaction Score
Money, you seem to be a reasonable poster. But are you sure you weren't drinking some fine Onyx moonshine with some hillbillies from WV?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Money, you seem to be a reasonable poster. But are you sure you weren't drinking some fine Onyx moonshine with some hillbillies from WV?

It sounds like sane plan. But maybe its a plan to buy time and placate. I wouldn't confuse such a plan with true commitment by Texas to stay for the long run themselves. As the SEC, B1G and ACC bolster their revenues in the coming years with better network deals, look for Texas & OU to pull strings for an exit.

Reaction Score

No. I was golfing with an ex-pro football player who went to a SEC school and works in sports media. I asked him what his thoughts were. That's what he told me. Just a data point.

Reaction Score
Interesting theory. Never considered it. Could Louisville really pull a TCU? When you consider that they've been a member of 4 conferences over the past decade, what's one more. Of course, we are moments away from hearing about the ACC's Ironclad GOR. (In truth, Ironclad contracts are about as rare as unicorns, especially when stacks of money can be thrown at it.) So, could talk of a Louisville exit give impetus to Florida State and possibly Clemson to bolt the ACC for the Big 12? The B1G and SEC would certainly facilitate. The idea of Louisville as a target could be ingenious or totally off-base. . .

Reaction Score
Interesting theory. Never considered it. Could Louisville really pull a TCU? When you consider that they've been a member of 4 conferences over the past decade, what's one more. Of course, we are moments away from hearing about the ACC's Ironclad GOR. (In truth, Ironclad contracts are about as rare as unicorns, especially when stacks of money can be thrown at it.) So, could talk of a Louisville exit give impetus to Florida State and possibly Clemson to bolt the ACC for the Big 12? The B1G and SEC would certainly facilitate. The idea of Louisville as a target could be ingenious or totally off-base. . .

Louisville is not leaving 1 potentially doomed P5 for another potentially doomed P5 and the ACC looks to be the safer bet of the two. Now, say Missouri gets invited to the B1G and accepts (guess their President would jump at that, AD less so) and the SEC invites Louisville to fill that slot, then the Cards jump.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Louisville is not leaving 1 potentially doomed P5 for another potentially doomed P5 and the ACC looks to be the safer bet of the two. Now, say Missouri gets invited to the B1G and accepts (guess their President would jump at that, AD less so) and the SEC invites Louisville to fill that slot, then the Cards jump.

...and pay $52M in exit fee and fight/settle a GoR in court to do it. I can't see any school leaving the ACC to go to the B12. Leaving for the greener pastures of the B1G or SEC is one thing. But that seems like a helluva lot money to pay to go to a conference that could very well fold in 1-2 years should UT/OU/KU leave.

Reaction Score

I never said I bought in, but rather it was an interesting slant. It's either going to be the Big12 or ACC that unwinds if we go to 4 conferences. Today it looks like the Big12 has more dissension. Although, the Big 12 does have a more lucrative deal (more TV money [that's not front-loaded] + tier 3). And if the ACCN never materializes it's going to get worse. Not saying it's going to happen, but if the Big 12 could somehow convince Louisville, FSU, Clemson and GT to come over as a block it would be a coup. Fox would be for it and likely willing to reach into its pockets. Lastly, I think Missouri leaving the SEC would be equally surprising.

Reaction Score
...and pay $52M in exit fee and fight/settle a GoR in court to do it. I can't see any school leaving the ACC to go to the B12. Leaving for the greener pastures of the B1G or SEC is one thing. But that seems like a helluva lot money to pay to go to a conference that could very well fold in 1-2 years should UT/OU/KU leave.

Again, I'm not suggesting this is going to happen, just commenting at the suggestion that Louisville is a target. But, let's say this scenario gained enough traction so that the ACC looked like it could unwind, you might see UVA and UNC jump to the B1g and VT and NC State to SEC. At that point, the conference likely has a provision for dissolution that could render the GOR and exit fees meaningless. If you think about it, it's highly unlikely that Louisville would be invited to the B1g or SEC (see Kentucky), so they are stuck in one of two conferences that could dissolve. By joining the Big12 and undermining the ACC, Louisville could ensure itself a seat in one of the final P4 conferences. No more worries and more money to boot. Just thinking out loud. . .

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What I heard today:

The Big 12 wants to expand, not disband.

Their targets?

BYU
Louisville.

No, I wasn't at a car wash.
Then you aren't credible. You had me until that last part.

Reaction Score
I think you are HOPING this is what is going to be the rule.

FACT is - Econ 101 - Cartels cheat. And Florida State might be a prime mover. Texas. Oklahoma. Georgia Tech, Virginia, VaTech, a NC school. Why? The disparity of Revenue is huge; the Prestige is also desired - as the Ranking move the best to be far more attractive for future enrollments and grants; and Brand. With the growing SEC brand on their Network; and continuing advancement on the BTN ... do you really doubt what is coming?

If your answer is the GoR is going to keep teams in place, I am going to laugh in your face.

My answer is the GOR will keep current teams in the ACC for 10 years...and your bit about laughing in my face is just a bit of aggressive hoo ha (pun intended hoo).

Come back to me when a team challenges a GOR and I may stop chuckling. The ten years will go fast.

....time is slippin', slippin' slippin', Into the future.

pj

Reaction Score
None of these P5 rearrangements will happen without consent of all the parties -- schools involved, conferences involved, TV networks involved. None of those parties want destructive lawsuits. You could have mutually agreed rearrangements like swapping Louisville for WVU, which might be a better fit for all sides.

Reaction Score
None of these P5 rearrangements will happen without consent of all the parties -- schools involved, conferences involved, TV networks involved. None of those parties want destructive lawsuits. You could have mutually agreed rearrangements like swapping Louisville for WVU, which might be a better fit for all sides.
Swapping WVU and UL makes too much sense for both leagues, which means it will never happen. First, very doubtful UL would want to go that route, I am guessing they are very happy in the ACC for BB and FB purposes. WVU on the other hand would offer to pay for UL to change out logos on all their courts, fields, and uniforms if that ever happened, and maybe even pick up UL's travel bill for the inaugural season. The B12 could then add Memphis, Cinci, CSU, and BYU to go to 14, get back to an old state in Colorado, bring in a national program like BYU, and makes for easier travel for their eastern members, with established rivalries. The ACC would put WVU back in play with the likes of Pitt and VT, two long time rivals, as well as SU, BC, Miami, and a short trip for UVa. And, most importantly for the rest of the college sports world, it still meets the criteria of the first rule of conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Swapping WVU and UL makes too much sense for both leagues, which means it will never happen. First, very doubtful UL would want to go that route, I am guessing they are very happy in the ACC for BB and FB purposes.

If Louisville went to the XII or SEC, they would have to also worry about some of their Olympic sports - primarily men's soccer and field hockey, both ranked teams at Louisville that neither conference sponsors. Its nothing money wise; but, it is an extra hassle.

That said, Kentucky does not have the power within the SEC of Florida or South Carolina and thus there is a slight chance that the SEC would invite Louisville with the goal of monetizing a two to three times a year basketball game between the the Cards and the Wildcats. Especially if the SEC needed to fill a slot left by Missouri jumping to the B1G for non-football reasons (slight chance). The ACC could then grab West Virginia (ignoring GOR and other stuff, hey, its a dream) to fill in their own gap with the B1G pairs Missouri with UConn. That still leaves the B1G with 4 remaining slots down the road when either the ACC or XII falls apart (ACC = UVA, UNC, G Tech, Florida St; XII = Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, TBD).

Reaction Score

No to mention the 'cost' of having to deal with U Texas on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom