IF there is Big 12 Expansion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

IF there is Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
OK but the C7++ is nothing like the level of the old big east in basketball. Half those teams are in the ACC or AAC now. I'd love to play Georgetown but who the heck else is worth playing in there?

Memphis, Cincinnati and Temple could hang with most of the Big East, as can SMU as long as Geezer Brown is hanging around. The rest of the AAC would finish in last place in the Big East every year.

Reaction Score
The consensus of this thread for everyone but me is that no matter how bad the athletic department gets and how many missed opportunities there are to upgrade our conference, Manuel is doing a good job. He can literally do no wrong.

Nelson is Mr. Over-the-top Hyperbole all the time. That said, he makes a good point here. The Athletic Director at UConn at this point in time has one goal and one goal only: get us significantly more money. If he can't do that then he needs to be replaced. At WVU, Oliver Luck told the Big East he was leaving the conference before he even had a home for WVU. Everyone in the world thought UConn was a done deal to the ACC but somehow Louisville slipped past us, thanks to Tom Jurich. BC, Pitt, and Cuse all somehow got into P5 conferences. These AD's got it done. I don't care what reason there is for us getting passed over (there's always a new one) it's Warde's job to overcome the objections and get us out of the AAC. He's had enough time to lay the groundwork. He has the support of the Administration and the fan base. Now he needs to make it happen.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Bottom half of the AAC needs to improve its SOS in order to improve the conference's RPI. Big East will regress downwards eventually.

Reaction Score
Nelson is Mr. Over-the-top Hyperbole all the time. That said, he makes a good point here. The Athletic Director at UConn at this point in time has one goal and one goal only: get us significantly more money. If he can't do that then he needs to be replaced. At WVU, Oliver Luck told the Big East he was leaving the conference before he even had a home for WVU. Everyone in the world thought UConn was a done deal to the ACC but somehow Louisville slipped past us, thanks to Tom Jurich. BC, Pitt, and Cuse all somehow got into P5 conferences. These AD's got it done. I don't care what reason there is for us getting passed over (there's always a new one) it's Warde's job to overcome the objections and get us out of the AAC. He's had enough time to lay the groundwork. He has the support of the Administration and the fan base. Now he needs to make it happen.

Does Nelson buy football tickets?

Reaction Score
The consensus of this thread for everyone but me is that no matter how bad the athletic department gets and how many missed opportunities there are to upgrade our conference, Manuel is doing a good job. He can literally do no wrong.

Please provide the quotes from this thread saying "Manuel is doing a good job." Thank you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Please provide the quotes from this thread saying "Manuel is doing a good job." Thank you.

I posited in the original post in this thread that at some point Manuel should be held responsible for what happens at UConn. We have almost two pages of people disagreeing with me on that point, including you.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I won't debate anyone who thinks the AAC is a "slightly lower level of competition in basketball" than the Big East.
Really?

I believe that the AAC is a "slightly lower level of competition in basketball" than the Big East.

Who knew it would be that easy?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who believes that no current P5 teams will leave their conference in the next 10 years?

I do believe that any P5 expansion will involve the current G5 teams only....it looks like the Big 12 will end up adding at least two.

Whether the SEC or Big Ten will go to 16 is open and a possibility...but not with P5 programs, I don't think.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who believes that no current P5 teams will leave their conference in the next 10 years?

I do believe that any P5 expansion will involve the current G5 teams only....it looks like the Big 12 will end up adding at least two.

Whether the SEC or Big Ten will go to 16 is open and a possibility...but not with P5 programs, I don't think.
No you aren't. The story might be different after the end of the current contracts though if the cable bubble bursts.

Reaction Score

Off topic but what a great move by Jimbo banning your underage players from bar hopping. That's the leadership UConn needs.

Reaction Score
Warde Haters are always going to set unattainable goals to use as "proof" of ineffectiveness. The B12 is a Hail Mary... How often do those work? But if your 1 in 20 shot doesn't work you should be fired! Heck why not fire him if the SEC or Pac12 don't take us? Maybe our odds would be better if we followed the Nelson Plan and cancelled football?

Unattainable goals and Hail Mary's like Cuse and Pitt to the ACC? Like WVU to the Big12? Like Louisville Community College to the ACC? Like Rutgers to the B1G?
RUTGERS??? Stop making excuses. If Warde can't do it then hire Pernetti or Jurich or Luck and pay them whatever it takes.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is only one chance of Uconn to the b12, if they go to 16 with Uconn, Cincy, plus two of Memphis, UCF, BYU.

Which is the only thing that makes it more probable than Uconn to the P12. I wouldn't bet a plug nickel on either happening.

You are better off hoping they can lure FSU. Which also won't happen unless Texas stops with the ND impersonation.

Reaction Score
We got a shot if B12 goes to 14 like all other major conferences except for the PAC-12. I hope we are taken. It would be horrible if we get left behind again. Either ACC or the B12 has to make a move. Hopefully, B1G will do it before all others. Anything is more desirable than the AAC.

Reaction Score
I posited in the original post in this thread that at some point Manuel should be held responsible for what happens at UConn. We have almost two pages of people disagreeing with me on that point, including you.

You don't get to say that I think he's doing a "good job" because I conclude that the best AD ever is probably powerless to get us into the P5 at the moment. So please try to argue with what people are actually saying, instead of what you conclude they should be saying in order that you can pick it apart.

Or -- as an alternative -- you could STFU.

Reaction Score

I think you are HOPING this is what is going to be the rule.

FACT is - Econ 101 - Cartels cheat. And Florida State might be a prime mover. Texas. Oklahoma. Georgia Tech, Virginia, VaTech, a NC school. Why? The disparity of Revenue is huge; the Prestige is also desired - as the Ranking move the best to be far more attractive for future enrollments and grants; and Brand. With the growing SEC brand on their Network; and continuing advancement on the BTN ... do you really doubt what is coming?

If your answer is the GoR is going to keep teams in place, I am going to laugh in your face.

Reaction Score
I think you are HOPING this is what is going to be the rule.

FACT is - Econ 101 - Cartels cheat. And Florida State might be a prime mover. Texas. Oklahoma. Georgia Tech, Virginia, VaTech, a NC school. Why? The disparity of Revenue is huge; the Prestige is also desired - as the Ranking move the best to be far more attractive for future enrollments and grants; and Brand. With the growing SEC brand on their Network; and continuing advancement on the BTN ... do you really doubt what is coming?

If your answer is the GoR is going to keep teams in place, I am going to laugh in your face.
Why would FSU consider the Big XII? The money will not be close to the ACC. Maybe the SEC but the SEC Doesnt want them. The B1G grabbing UVA is a more realistic scenario than FSU.

The real hope for Uconn is a two loss SEC champ, B1G champ, or a 1 loss runner up that loses a conference CG being shut out of the 4 team playoff. That will move the playoff to 8 almost overnight and the rush to 16 team conferences accelerates.

The Big 12 is a pipe dream. And a bad dream at that. Uconn has already been a late to the party member of one death bed conference, dominated by a single school when it comes to conference decisions, why would they want to rush to another? I guess you can live on exit fees again.

Reaction Score
Why would FSU consider the Big XII? The money will not be close to the ACC. Maybe the SEC but the SEC Doesnt want them. The B1G grabbing UVA is a more realistic scenario than FSU.

The real hope for Uconn is a two loss SEC champ, B1G champ, or a 1 loss runner up that loses a conference CG being shut out of the 4 team playoff. That will move the playoff to 8 almost overnight and the rush to 16 team conferences accelerates.

The Big 12 is a pipe dream. And a bad dream at that. Uconn has already been a late to the party member of one death bed conference, dominated by a single school when it comes to conference decisions, why would they want to rush to another? I guess you can live on exit fees again.

I see no scenario where Florida State goes to the B12. Zero.

B12 may find itself with both UCF & USF before the Seminoles.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

With things as they are, they wouldn't.

The Big 12 is worth more financially, but obviously, it exists so long as Texas wants it to and that is a bad place to put your athletic department.

If the Big Ten or SEC did start grabbing ACC teams, then who knows.

As for UConn - they go with whoever offers whenever they offer. No choice.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Either you are deliberately misrepresenting my position or are too stupid to understand it. Which is it?
Everyone has read your posts, and you've repeated many times that UConn should drop football and beg for entry in to the league formerly known as the Big East for hoops - as small minded as it gets. If you feel otherwise, that's on you to try and convince others - not me.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Unattainable goals and Hail Mary's like Cuse and Pitt to the ACC? Like WVU to the Big12? Like Louisville Community College to the ACC? Like Rutgers to the B1G?
RUTGERS??? Stop making excuses. If Warde can't do it then hire Pernetti or Jurich or Luck and pay them whatever it takes.
I'm not against accountability for things he can control. If you think all those things were in his control, then we are just not going to agree on that.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Nelson's mind is like a bad neighborhood, you don't go in there alone. But hey, everyone is talking about him for a day, he gets to fabricate more strawmen and gets to add some posters to his "disdain" list so it's all good.

Reaction Score
What I heard today:

The Big 12 wants to expand, not disband.

Their targets?

BYU
Louisville.

No, I wasn't at a car wash.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What I heard today:

Their targets?

BYU
Louisville.

Taking it at face value, Louisville out kicked its coverage when getting into the ACC. No way the B12 looks good to it now.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What I heard today:

Their targets?

BYU
Louisville.

If we can parlay that in to the ACC... Then win win all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom