IF there is Big 12 Expansion | The Boneyard

IF there is Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn needs to be one of the teams chosen or Manuel needs to be fired. So Manuel needs to skip the buffet line in the Bahamas and get it done. The Titanic has already sunk and we are bobbing around in the north Atlantic, freezing to death. Everyone left in the water also knows they are freezing to death, as Bronco Mendenhall's recent comments indicate. There are potentially two spots left in one of the lifeboats, and we need to get one of those two spots. It is going to be 2 of 3 of UConn, Cincinnati and BYU.

I also think the only way the Big 10 or ACC even consider giving UConn an invitation is if UConn gets invited by the Big 12.

This is it.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why we don't take our biggest weakness and from where I sit our only weakness compared to the other candidates (current state of football) and turn it into a positive (Hey Texas/Oklahoma), how would you like to play our game every year at Met Life, Yankee Stadium, or Foxboro?

Reaction Score
I understand the sentiment Nelson, but we are a long shot for B12. Geographically and football-wise (according to perception) we just don't fit. There is a very good chance that Warde and Susan have very little sway in the B12's decision. They either see the value of UCONN or they don't.

Reaction Score
I thought this stuff happened at the presidential level? If so, would any one really propose Sue be fired?

Like the OP, I hope to hell we are selling ourselves behind the scenes. Was Louisville a "fit" for the ACC? OUR ATHLETIC BUDGET DWARFS THAT OF ANYONE NOT IN THE P5? Does that not matter at all?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If Cincinnati and BYU are tapped, I will be p1ssed but I will be able to at least understand it from a B12 perspective. But if we're passed over (again) for an inferior school/AD like Memphis/Houston/SMU, for example, then I will give up following this CR . And if we get passed over for a Memphis type, then I would expect someone at UCONN would need to pay some sort of price. There would need to be MAJOR damage control amongst the alumni and fanbase to assure everyone that our dollars aren't being thrown away on a permanent lost cause.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thread of the year.

Personally I'd let Warde resign to take the Michigan job instead of firing him. It will save some money.

Reaction Score
I thought this stuff happened at the presidential level? If so, would any one really propose Sue be fired?

Like the OP, I hope to hell we are selling ourselves behind the scenes. Was Louisville a "fit" for the ACC? OUR ATHLETIC BUDGET DWARFS THAT OF ANYONE NOT IN THE P5? Does that not matter at all?
At the time of their invite they were a fit in the ACC. It probably became clear to insiders of the ACC that academics were a joke given the NC news and with lowlife FSU pushing for them, their athletic prowess was enough. They actually are more of a fit to the ACC than Miami or BC are now, as the latter two were added when that conference valued so called academics. They bring a lot more to the athletic table of the ACC then all of the added schools before them. BC and FSU were the major players in keeping UConn out of the ACC. I am not sure that Sue or Warde should be fired, although there is no question that they were made to look foolish by the Louisville AD. Whether they could have changed that scenario is up for debate.

Reaction Score
Get your pink slip folder ready then. I was told in no uncertain terms that the Big 12 was not, is not, and never will be an option for UCONN.

Reaction Score
Get your pink slip folder ready then. I was told in no uncertain terms that the Big 12 was not, is not, and never will be an option for UCONN.

Are you saying that they don't want us or we don't want them?

Reaction Score
By whom?
By the way, I do agree we arent' in the Big 12's thinking.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Posters are already making excuses for a Manuel failure that may be completely hypothetical.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Warde Haters are always going to set unattainable goals to use as "proof" of ineffectiveness. The B12 is a Hail Mary... How often do those work? But if your 1 in 20 shot doesn't work you should be fired! Heck why not fire him if the SEC or Pac12 don't take us? Maybe our odds would be better if we followed the Nelson Plan and cancelled football?

Reaction Score
The thing about the B12 is if they don't invite us, they are inviting sub par institutions and cable subscribers. They are also buying programs no one else is even thinking of adding.....ever. In that light, we look logical. At a minimum, we might offer trade bait for the ACC or B1G of it is ever needed for B12 survival.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to be one of the teams chosen or Manuel needs to be fired. So Manuel needs to skip the buffet line in the Bahamas and get it done. The Titanic has already sunk and we are bobbing around in the north Atlantic, freezing to death. Everyone left in the water also knows they are freezing to death, as Bronco Mendenhall's recent comments indicate. There are potentially two spots left in one of the lifeboats, and we need to get one of those two spots. It is going to be 2 of 3 of UConn, Cincinnati and BYU.

I also think the only way the Big 10 or ACC even consider giving UConn an invitation is if UConn gets invited by the Big 12.

This is it.
This is one of the best posts of the year...either the perfect "bait" post or the most ridiculous comment ever. Perfect bait as it starts with a completely ludicrous premise (a conference with no geographic, institutional, historical, etc etc connection has to be such a lock that a job is on the line...roughly equivalent to saying any Secretary of State should be fired if they cannot solve the Israeli-Palestinian issue). Worst post if it was written in any serious way.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This is one of the best posts of the year...either the perfect "bait" post or the most ridiculous comment ever. Perfect bait as it starts with a completely ludicrous premise (a conference with no geographic, institutional, historical, etc etc connection has to be such a lock that a job is on the line...roughly equivalent to saying any Secretary of State should be fired if they cannot solve the Israeli-Palestinian issue). Worst post if it was written in any serious way.
Just in case you are new here... He's completely serious.

Reaction Score
I think uconn should fight and lobby like hell to get in th big 12, because it may be the only spot that comes open in God knows how long. It's been almost 3 years since Louisville got picked over us.

That said, I wouldnt blame anyone if we don't get picked. The thought of former conference USA schools bothers me. We've had one already, it would be tough to stomach another one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Warde Haters are always going to set unattainable goals to use as "proof" of ineffectiveness. The B12 is a Hail Mary... How often do those work? But if your 1 in 20 shot doesn't work you should be fired! Heck why not fire him if the SEC or Pac12 don't take us? Maybe our odds would be better if we followed the Nelson Plan and cancelled football?
Wait Warde missed chances to to get us into the SEC and the Pac12?! WTF?! That guy is killing us!!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The B12 situation has all the same hallmarks of the final years of the BigEast. My guess is that this summer a logical plan to expand will be presented/discussed and certain members will shock others by voting no just like certain members turned down the BigEast tv deal and thats because they are already 1/2 way out the door.

Reaction Score
The B12 situation has all the same hallmarks of the final years of the BigEast. My guess is that this summer a logical plan to expand will be presented/discussed and certain members will shock others by voting no just like certain members turned down the BigEast tv deal and thats because they are already 1/2 way out the door.

This is the POST of the year.

The B12 is the next loser in Musical Chairs. It's only a matter of time before either Oklahoma ... Or Texas ... Or even Kansas ... Exits. Why? The disparity in Revenue is at least $55m to $21m and growing. The SEC or the B1G are clearly Winners. And this isn't about economics or academics purely. A Texas is hurting as TAM flourishes. The prestige of the B1G is now the Brass Ring. The B12 is a P5; but, soon to be a far lesser confederation. Like the MLS to the English Premier League.

UConn? All the correct things are being done. Huge advances in ranking & academic research & endowment. That's your leading indicator. Herbst has aimed at the Holy Grail.

So ... I don't care if BYU and Cincinnati go. Or BYU Hawaii. Good for them: they've gotten to the next level & both deserve it. But, watch that Contract renegotiation of the B1G; certainly in process today.

CL82

Reaction Score

UConn? All the correct things are being done. Huge advances in ranking & academic research & endowment. That's your leading indicator. Herbst has aimed at the Holy Grail.

I agree, of course the big (or B1G) question is whether the fix is in, or if Herbst was just following a model which enhances us academically, which, incidentally, is her core mission.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The B12 is the next loser in Musical Chairs. It's only a matter of time before either Oklahoma ... Or Texas ... Or even Kansas ... Exits. Why? The disparity in Revenue is at least $55m to $21m and growing. The SEC or the B1G are clearly Winners. And this isn't about economics or academics purely. A Texas is hurting as TAM flourishes. The prestige of the B1G is now the Brass Ring. The B12 is a P5; but, soon to be a far lesser confederation. Like the MLS to the English Premier League.

So ... I don't care if BYU and Cincinnati go. Or BYU Hawaii. Good for them: they've gotten to the next level & both deserve it. But, watch that Contract renegotiation of the B1G; certainly in process today.

Saying that we shouldn't care about going to the Big 12 because the Big 10 offer is on its way is completely delusional.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

If the Big 12 expands, it will be choosing 2 of UConn, Cincinnati and BYU. If UConn can not make the top 66.7% cut within that crew, it is never joining a major conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 expands, it will be choosing 2 of UConn, Cincinnati and BYU. If UConn can not make the top 66.7% cut within that crew, it is never joining a major conference.
That statement ignores geography Nelson. It also ignores the possibility that the Big 12 might want a Florida presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom