If both the B1G and ACC wanted to add UCONN, which would you prefer and why? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If both the B1G and ACC wanted to add UCONN, which would you prefer and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the post I knew that a investigation was ongoing but I never heard what happened. ESPN don't like talking about that.

Reaction Score
Thats not correct....for 2013-2014 the A.C.C. paid out a conference record $297.1 mil....(Per ESPN on A.C.C. blog). Each school recv. a share of 20.8 mil and the N.D. partial share payout was not disclosed, ... but not hard to figure out if you do the math. The 14 schools total share comes to 291.2 mil leaving 5.9 million for the Irish.
Thanks for the correction BCINGYA, I'm really not an big guy on following the money and the intricasies but was going on what i picked up on other boards, threads and the way its usually done! One thing about the ACC I do like(not much) is newcomers receive a full share immediately. So the ACC is not the lowest paid conference? Could you lay out the average payout per conference at this time? Thanks if you have the info.BTW,I did read somewhere but I admittedly don't now if its been corraberated that ESPin was "sick" of having to constantly overpay the ACC to keep the couple of major school FB powers content and to sign the GOR keeping their investment from collapsing or relegating to MWC/AAC status due to not getting an ACCN for the forseeable future !?! No doubt 20M is too much to pay for the conference per team IMO! The ACC over the BCS period or at least since "04" has been underachieving in CFB to say the least.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction BCINGYA, I'm really not an big guy on following the money and the intricasies but was going on what i picked up on other boards, threads and the way its usually done! One thing about the ACC I do like(not much) is newcomers receive a full share immediately. So the ACC is not the lowest paid conference? Could you lay out the average payout per conference at this time? Thanks if you have the info.BTW,I did read somewhere but I admittedly don't now if its been corraberated that ESPin was "sick" of having to constantly overpay the ACC to keep the couple of major school FB powers content and to sign the GOR keeping their investment from collapsing or relegating to MWC/AAC status due to not getting an ACCN for the forseeable future !?! No doubt 20M is too much to pay for the conference per team IMO! The ACC over the BCS period or at least since "04" has been underachieving in CFB to say the least.

Nicky, you were basically right. Your estimate of $15-17 mn is essentially correct as far as regular season conference TV revenue. But the ACC also got $30 mn last year from BCS football (FSU and Clemson), plus millions in NCAA basketball tourney credits, raising the payout per school. BCINGYA was referring to the total payout from conference to schools of $20.8 mn.

Reaction Score
I would take the B1G over the ACC and that is a turnabout for me. When I think of questions like this I leave all the money crap out and just think of rooting and rivalries. I'd love to play Duke and UNC in hoops on a regular basis. I think renewing rivalries with BC, Cuse and Pitt would be good for hoops and FB. However, none of our former BE brethren have helped us and have, in fact, shunned us. Without UConn to help shore up the northeast I can see each of those schools recede (Pitt less so). I also think that UConn would have an easier road FB wise in the ACC. I don't have an f them attitude...well....yes I do. Still, I'd take an offer and I'd go with a positive attitude.

I think we have more in common with the B1G schools. Look, we're smaller, we have less of a history and a smaller endowment but we've shown over the last 30 years that we can get things done as an institution of higher learning and in athletics. The B1G would be doing us a favor but would in turn be rewarded with quality and passion. I'd love to watch our FB rise to the level of the B1G. I 'd love to watch our men play Wisconsin, Indiana, Mich St, etc in hoops. When I think of the B1G, I think of "storied" institutions. Why wouldn't I prefer UConn to be amongst them?

When the Cuse got passed over in the ACC back in 2003 I felt the same way. Screw the ACC. Hope we get into the Big Ten. And from both a $$$ and football perspective the BiG is very enticing now for any school, especially one from the northeast.

But obviously we took the first one to offer. And as other UConn fans have posted here already, that is what will happen with UConn. And yes, I do think it (an invite to a P5 conference) will eventually happen for UConn. Remember, it took us 8 years to get a genuine invite and then another two years more to begin play.

And even though the ACC is not in as good of a position as the BiG, SEC, and Pac-12 I'm actually glad we wound up in the ACC. SU was meant to be in the ACC and Rutgers was meant to be in the BiG. I see UConn as betwixt and between, capable of being in either.

Congrats on your multiple NCs this year and I believe Diaco is a good hire. I have a great deal of respect for UConn athletics, although I have butted heads with a few of their fans on various message boards.

Cheers,
Neil

Reaction Score
Nicky, you were basically right. Your estimate of $15-17 mn is essentially correct as far as regular season conference TV revenue. But the ACC also got $30 mn last year from BCS football (FSU and Clemson), plus millions in NCAA basketball tourney credits, raising the payout per school. BCINGYA was referring to the total payout from conference to schools of $20.8 mn.
Thanks and as he should have known ....thats what i was talking about NOT credits and all the other stuff every other conference also gets! The ACC guys are awful touchy about their perception lately here!

Reaction Score
When the Cuse got passed over in the ACC back in 2003 I felt the same way. Screw the ACC. Hope we get into the Big Ten. And from both a $ and football perspective the BiG is very enticing now for any school, especially one from the northeast.

But obviously we took the first one to offer. And as other UConn fans have posted here already, that is what will happen with UConn. And yes, I do think it (an invite to a P5 conference) will eventually happen for UConn. Remember, it took us 8 years to get a genuine invite and then another two years more to begin play.

And even though the ACC is not in as good of a position as the BiG, SEC, and Pac-12 I'm actually glad we wound up in the ACC. SU was meant to be in the ACC and Rutgers was meant to be in the BiG. I see UConn as betwixt and between, capable of being in either.

Congrats on your multiple NCs this year and I believe Diaco is a good hire. I have a great deal of respect for UConn athletics, although I have butted heads with a few of their fans on various message boards.

Cheers,
Neil
Neil, hi you're one of the VERY few SU fan dot posters that before i was banned lol was fairly rational and friendly. You're observation is pretty much the way I see it except for the fact of payouts,CIC and a big research flagship their B1G looking mostly but could easily fit in the ACC too. I also don't see anymore moves that won't include UConn into the P5 unless the PAC12/SEC is the mover !?!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Big Ten is probably the most respected conference as far as rules-abiding goes. In the Pac USC has had their share of scandal; the SEC is notorious; Oklahoma and Texas schools have had scandals in the B12, and Missouri when they were there; Miami was in trouble repeatedly, and UNC has just had their cheating scandal. If I had to pick a "cleanest hands" conference I'd go with the B1G.

All the conferences have dirt all over them. It's a matter of degrees that some may care about. I don't. No one has the upper hand of sanctimony.

Going back to my days in the military and the UCMJ (as it used to state): Penetration, no matter how slight, counts as an attempt.

So I'll leave it for those interested to debate the merits of tip, shaft and balls deep to see who's cleaner.

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would call it a draw. On the football side of things, I would prefer the B1G, as it has more storied programs, which I think would really improve the interest in UConn football in the state. The basketball is fine as well, with MSU, Indiana and Wisconsin. The ACC has the more storied basketball programs and football is fine with FSU, Clemson and VT. They are about mirror images of each other in that respect. The B1G brings in more money and I do already get the BTN. But since I live in Massachusetts, the ACC gets bonus points, as BC would be an easy travel game for me. Plus, the real difference maker is that The ACC would be firmly entrenched in the area and we'd see better coverage in the papers and in sports bars.

Either one would be fine.

Reaction Score
The B1G for a few reasons (caveat - we wouldn't let the door hit us in the ass if we could get out of the AAC and go to either!). First, I like the B1G's "all in or all out" requirement. I just don't think that it is sustainable, in the long term, to have ND with "most favored nations status". ND does not bring enough to the table in its olympic sports and the special treatment of its football team will wear thin with the likes of FSU, Clemson etc. That will create divisiveness over time. I also think that the ACC has some huge cultural differences among its members. It is incredible that Duke is in the same conference as Louisville. That will create issues also. The rising academic tide provided by Duke, GT, UNC, UVA, Miami, BC etc. does not float all boats (Louisville). Just from a competition view point, this will provide challenges. Consider the machinations that UNC engaged in to keep players academically eligible. Do you think Louisville has to do the same?

The B1G is more homogeneous and I think this will create a more cohesive effort towards conference development and direction in the future. The slam on the B1G is that it a conference geographically centered in the rust belt while the ACC has its biggest presence in the growing Southeast. But the great institutions of the B1G are not going away or even diminishing any time soon. So, while I could just say (as I have so often) that the ACC doesn't deserve to have us, there are good reasons why the B1G would be best. (Now wouldn't it be nice if we had the dilemma because of the choice being presented to us?)

Reaction Score
From an all-sports perspective -

The B1G sponsors 28 conference sports. Of those 28, UConn sponsors 23. UConn also has a women's ice hockey team, which the B1G currently does not sponsor.

The sports UConn does not sponsor include:

Men's Sports - Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Wrestling
Women's Sports - Golf, Gymnastics

All 14 current B1G schools have wrestling teams and women's golf teams, so UConn would be an outlier there. For the other three sports, 7 sponsor men's gymnastics, 6 sponsor men's lacrosse, and 10 sponsor women's gymnastics.

For women's ice hockey, 4 B1G teams currently sponsor that sport, so the addition of UConn would leave the conference one team short of being able to sponsor that as a conference sport as well.

Sponsoring 23 B1G sports would tie UConn for 8th with Indiana out of the current 14 schools in the conference.

Here is a breakdown of how many of the 28 sports each B1G team sponsors.....

1. Ohio State - 28
1. Michigan - 28

3. Penn State - 27 (women's rowing)

4. Michigan State - 25 (men's gymnastics, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse)

5. Iowa - 24 (men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, women's lacrosse)
5. Minnesota - 24 (men's lacrosse, men's soccer, women's field hockey, women's lacrosse)
5. Rutgers - 24 (men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's swimming & diving, men's tennis)

8. Indiana - 23 (men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, women's gymnastics, women's lacrosse)

9. Wisconsin - 22 (men's baseball, men's gymnastics, men's lacrosse, women's field hockey, women's gymnastics, women's lacrosse)

10. Illinois - 21 (men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, men's swimming & diving, women's field hockey, women's lacrosse, women's rowing)
10. Nebraska - 21 (men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, men's swimming & diving, women's field hockey, women's lacrosse, women's rowing)

12. Purdue - 20 (men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, women's field hockey, women's gymnastics, women's lacrosse, women's rowing)
12. Maryland - 20 (men's cross country, men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's swimming & diving, men's tennis, men's indoor track & field, women's rowing, women's swimming & diving)

14. Northwestern - 18 (men's cross country, men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's indoor track & field, men's outdoor track & field, women's gymnastics, women's rowing, women's indoor track & field, women's outdoor track & field)

Reaction Score
When the Cuse got passed over in the ACC back in 2003 I felt the same way. Screw the ACC. Hope we get into the Big Ten. And from both a $ and football perspective the BiG is very enticing now for any school, especially one from the northeast.

Cheers,
Neil

Classy post.

Makes me wonder why so many Orange posters are wishing for UCONN to die on the vine.

Reaction Score
After thinking about it, I say an entirely new East Coast conference should be formed (call is the ECC??): CONNECTICUT, SYRACUSE, RUTGERS, PENN STATE, MARYLAND, WEST VIRGINIA, VIRGINIA, VIRGINIA TECH, NORTH CAROLINA, NORTH CAROLINA STATE, CLEMSON, SOUTH CAROLINA, GEORGIA TECH and FLORIDA STATE. Other than Syracuse, everyone is a State school. Mostly land grant and flagship schools with the exception of FSU and GT. UConn, SU and UNC are basketball powers. FSU and PSU are football powers. The majority of the remaining schools are very respectable in one or the other big revenue sports.

It will never happen, but I like the feel of my impossibly made-up conference. It relies on 3 schools defecting from the B1G, 1 school defecting from the SEC, 1 defecting from the B12 and 8 defecting from the ACC. OK, back to reality...

Reaction Score
From an all-sports perspective -

The B1G sponsors 28 conference sports. Of those 28, UConn sponsors 23. UConn also has a women's ice hockey team, which the B1G currently does not sponsor.

The sports UConn does not sponsor include:

Men's Sports - Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Wrestling
Women's Sports - Golf, Gymnastics

All 14 current B1G schools have wrestling teams and women's golf teams, so UConn would be an outlier there. For the other three sports, 7 sponsor men's gymnastics, 6 sponsor men's lacrosse, and 10 sponsor women's gymnastics.

For women's ice hockey, 4 B1G teams currently sponsor that sport, so the addition of UConn would leave the conference one team short of being able to sponsor that as a conference sport as well.

Sponsoring 23 B1G sports would tie UConn for 8th with Indiana out of the current 14 schools in the conference.

Here is a breakdown of how many of the 28 sports each B1G team sponsors.....

1. Ohio State - 28
1. Michigan - 28

3. Penn State - 27 (women's rowing)

4. Michigan State - 25 (men's gymnastics, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse)

5. Iowa - 24 (men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, women's lacrosse)
5. Minnesota - 24 (men's lacrosse, men's soccer, women's field hockey, women's lacrosse)
5. Rutgers - 24 (men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's swimming & diving, men's tennis)

8. Indiana - 23 (men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, women's gymnastics, women's lacrosse)

9. Wisconsin - 22 (men's baseball, men's gymnastics, men's lacrosse, women's field hockey, women's gymnastics, women's lacrosse)

10. Illinois - 21 (men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, men's swimming & diving, women's field hockey, women's lacrosse, women's rowing)
10. Nebraska - 21 (men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, men's swimming & diving, women's field hockey, women's lacrosse, women's rowing)

12. Purdue - 20 (men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, women's field hockey, women's gymnastics, women's lacrosse, women's rowing)
12. Maryland - 20 (men's cross country, men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's swimming & diving, men's tennis, men's indoor track & field, women's rowing, women's swimming & diving)

14. Northwestern - 18 (men's cross country, men's gymnastics, men's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, men's indoor track & field, men's outdoor track & field, women's gymnastics, women's rowing, women's indoor track & field, women's outdoor track & field)

With the new budget B1G affiliation would bring, I'm sure we could find room to add a couple of more teams.

pj

Reaction Score
After thinking about it, I say an entirely new East Coast conference should be formed (call is the ECC??): CONNECTICUT, SYRACUSE, RUTGERS, PENN STATE, MARYLAND, WEST VIRGINIA, VIRGINIA, VIRGINIA TECH, NORTH CAROLINA, NORTH CAROLINA STATE, CLEMSON, SOUTH CAROLINA, GEORGIA TECH and FLORIDA STATE. Other than Syracuse, everyone is a State school. Mostly land grant and flagship schools with the exception of FSU and GT. UConn, SU and UNC are basketball powers. FSU and PSU are football powers. The majority of the remaining schools are very respectable in one or the other big revenue sports.

It will never happen, but I like the feel of my impossibly made-up conference. It relies on 3 schools defecting from the B1G, 1 school defecting from the SEC, 1 defecting from the B12 and 8 defecting from the ACC. OK, back to reality...

That would be a fantastic conference ... as a fantasy, let's make it slightly more realistic by assuming that South Carolina stays in the SEC and just the northeastern teams are in play (supposing the Big East had brought in Penn State early as it should have, and then we form this out of ACC-Big East). Drop Syracuse too - Pitt would be better (state school, better academics, bigger market, WVU rivalry). Now we're down to 12 schools and it's still a great conference. Bench schools if the conference ever wanted to grow: Pitt, Duke, Miami, Cuse, BC, Wake, Cincy, L'ville, USF, UCF.

Reaction Score
That would be a fantastic conference ... as a fantasy, let's make it slightly more realistic by assuming that South Carolina stays in the SEC and just the northeastern teams are in play (supposing the Big East had brought in Penn State early as it should have, and then we form this out of ACC-Big East). Drop Syracuse too - Pitt would be better (state school, better academics, bigger market, WVU rivalry). Now we're down to 12 schools and it's still a great conference. Bench schools if the conference ever wanted to grow: Pitt, Duke, Miami, Cuse, BC, Wake, Cincy, L'ville, USF, UCF.

I had SU in there to make my fantasy conference geographically contiguous like the B1G, SEC and PAC (plus I consider SU to be the Empire State's main university in terms of athletics). But if USC-east can't join, then definitely add Pitt. Duke, Wake, Miami, BC, UL, USF, UCF and Cincy can start their own conference or join the B12 :)

Reaction Score
The ACC. UConn belongs in the duckcking ACC culturally, geographically, and because we're a damn basketball school.

But it's a damn travesty that we're shut out from our brethren in the ACC. That should be our home.

Keep the faith and thanks for still believing in the ACC. Yes, I agree that you should be in. You are East Coast and we are an Eastern conference.

pj

Reaction Score
Keep the faith and thanks for still believing in the ACC. Yes, I agree that you should be in. You are East Coast and we are an Eastern conference.

If you're an Eastern conference, why take a school from western Kentucky ahead of one of the East's / Atlantic coast's premier athletic programs? Not sure what the ACC's ambitions are, but they've moved on from the Atlantic coast/East coast identity.

Reaction Score
The "Atlantic coast" now refers to what is east of the Mississippi.

Reaction Score
If you're an Eastern conference, why take a school from western Kentucky ahead of one of the East's / Atlantic coast's premier athletic programs? Not sure what the ACC's ambitions are, but they've moved on from the Atlantic coast/East coast identity.
Agreed I think some puzzling move's by Swoffy and southern brethern and lost any cache here in the NE!! Not seen as eastern by anybody but the few SU and BC fan's scattered here and there!! ACC is way behind the B1G PR wise.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'd signed up for either in a nanosecond. If given the choice, the B1G - because of better long term stability. The ACC has better natural rivals, but also the greater risk that FL St/Clemson or some other school makes the leap to the SEC or whatever is hot 10 years from now. That said, it would be fun to be in the ACC and play spoiler to BC and Cuse.

Reaction Score

I agree that UConn would have been a much better addition than UL for many reasons. However, the PAC has Utah and Colorado in their conference, B12 has WVU and SEC has aTm which is "technically" southeast but stretching it (I would say Mizzou too, but I will give them that one). The B1G is really a Midwestern conference; and the additions of PSU and UMCP/RU recently, they are really outliers for their conference. Even Nebraska is starting to push a little far west, but I could buy the Nebraska addition if Kansas and Mizzou came with them. So the ACC adding a school from central Kentucky doesn't seem that far off when looking at the other conferences. The one I can't get over is that school that is nearly a suburb of Chicago.

All these P5 conferences have loss their sense of identity. Greed rules. As interesting as CR is, I really wish the conferences stayed the way they were (at 10 to 12 teams) with a few minor trades or tweaks; all while keeping the old Big East in the P5(6) mix.

And as for the ACC's ambitions... the UL move was to make FSU and Clemson happy, plain and simple. The irony, had UL been trumped by UConn, FSU and Clemson would still be in the ACC, but not happy.

pj

Reaction Score
And as for the ACC's ambitions... the UL move was to make FSU and Clemson happy, plain and simple. The irony, had UL been trumped by UConn, FSU and Clemson would still be in the ACC, but not happy.

When UConn starts trumping Louisville on the football field, they'll still be unhappy, and so will UNC and UVa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom