If both the B1G and ACC wanted to add UCONN, which would you prefer and why? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If both the B1G and ACC wanted to add UCONN, which would you prefer and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I prefer the ACC as it's a better fit for natural rivalries and for fans traveling to games. The BIG is better prestige wise however it would be odd playing a Nebraska or Iowa at Gampel (should we get an invite). Still better than playing a East Carolina or Tulsa.

Reaction Score
I want whoever gets the Garden.

Oka, what do you think is a better fit for a Garden tournament - UCONN in the ACC or UCONN in the B1G? Isn't a tournament with UCONN, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, NC, etc., more appealing than UCONN, UW, IU, UM, IA (as good as that would be)? The chances of the ACC playing the Garden yearly would be much greater than the B1G doing it there every year.

I am a grad of IU, my oldest son has two degrees from PennState and I have family from IL and MN so I am actually biased in favor of the B1G. Academically and culturally I see UCONN as a better fit with the B1G and that type of school is what, I believe, Susan Herbst and the BOT are developing. Can't deny the excitement of an ACC tourney in the Garden though - if UCONN is in the ACC.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Oka, what do you think is a better fit for a Garden tournament - UCONN in the ACC or UCONN in the B1G? Isn't a tournament with UCONN, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, NC, etc., more appealing than UCONN, UW, IU, UM, IA (as good as that would be)? The chances of the ACC playing the Garden yearly would be much greater than the B1G doing it there every year.

I am a grad of IU, my oldest son has two degrees from PennState and I have family from IL and MN so I am actually biased in favor of the B1G. Academically and culturally I see UCONN as a better fit with the B1G and that type of school is what, I believe, Susan Herbst and the BOT are developing. Can't deny the excitement of an ACC tourney in the Garden though - if UCONN is in the ACC.

Certainly the ACC would bring more MSG juice, cuse alone does that, so if I had a magic wand and could pick the conference that gets Eden and put Uconn in it, it's the ACC and not close. I know the B1G would help grow UConn football, but I want our rivalry games back.

Reaction Score
The ACC. UConn belongs in the duckcking ACC culturally, geographically, and because we're a damn basketball school.

The B1G doesn't care about basketball. Like, at all. Sure MState is good and Michigan has recently gotten pretty good, and Wisconsin is good, and Indiana is good, and Ohio State is good, and Illinois is occasionally good, but none of these schools are elite. We offer elite basketball programs. That's what we are and that's what we bring to the table. We belong with Syracuse and Pitt and Duke and UNC and Louisville. That's where we fit.

Plus, we're a blue collar, unapologetically east coast school. We're proud to be on the east coast. We're Big East.

And while we'll work hard as hell to build a proud football tradition, it's going to take us a while to get there. The ACC isn't as laser focused on football as the B1G is. We'd have time to recruit and expand our stadium and draw a big crowd because let's face it, the ACC isn't anything truly special in football. We can stick with the pack until we've built enough to emerge as a contending team.

We'll take what we can get. But it's a damn travesty that we're shut out from our brethren in the ACC. That should be our home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
amory said:
The ACC. UConn belongs in the duckcking ACC culturally, geographically, and because we're a damn basketball school. The B1G doesn't care about basketball. Like, at all. Sure MState is good and Michigan has recently gotten pretty good, and Wisconsin is good, and Indiana is good, and Ohio State is good, and Illinois is occasionally good, but none of these schools are elite. We offer elite basketball programs. That's what we are and that's what we bring to the table. We belong with Syracuse and Pitt and Duke and UNC and Louisville. That's where we fit. Plus, we're a blue collar, unapologetically east coast school. We're proud to be on the east coast. We're Big East. And while we'll work hard as hell to build a proud football tradition, it's going to take us a while to get there. The ACC isn't as laser focused on football as the B1G is. We'd have time to recruit and expand our stadium and draw a big crowd because let's face it, the ACC isn't anything truly special in football. We can stick with the pack until we've built enough to emerge as a contending team. We'll take what we can get. But it's a damn travesty that we're shut out from our brethren in the ACC. That should be our home.

The ACC is too crowded with basketball schools. I'll take the B1G and all those Wisconsin blondes. (As long as they don't talk, that stupid accent ruins it for me)

Reaction Score
The ACC. UConn belongs in the duckcking ACC culturally, geographically, and because we're a damn basketball school.

The B1G doesn't care about basketball. Like, at all. Sure MState is good and Michigan has recently gotten pretty good, and Wisconsin is good, and Indiana is good, and Ohio State is good, and Illinois is occasionally good, but none of these schools are elite. We offer elite basketball programs. That's what we are and that's what we bring to the table. We belong with Syracuse and Pitt and Duke and UNC and Louisville. That's where we fit.

Plus, we're a blue collar, unapologetically east coast school. We're proud to be on the east coast. We're Big East.

And while we'll work hard as hell to build a proud football tradition, it's going to take us a while to get there. The ACC isn't as laser focused on football as the B1G is. We'd have time to recruit and expand our stadium and draw a big crowd because let's face it, the ACC isn't anything truly special in football. We can stick with the pack until we've built enough to emerge as a contending team.

We'll take what we can get. But it's a damn travesty that we're shut out from our brethren in the ACC. That should be our home.
I disagree. B1G has very very good basketball and if you want to talk about history, the Hoosiers belong in the elite category, imo. To me, blue collar has more in common with state schools than the likes of syracuse, duke, wake, bc, miami. Large State schools in the mid-west over the patchwork ACC any day. We can get rolled by FSU and Clemson just as easily as by Ohio State and Penn State. The B1G has a number of programs at our football level, especially with the addition of RU and MD. :)

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, I don't get the ACC love at all. The B1G's basketball powers and fans are in the Midwest so Connecticut residents may not be familiar with them, but they have a ton of basketball fans, and generate huge basketball attendance figures. We'll develop new rivalries. Personally, I can remember when we didn't have rivalries with Cuse, Pitt, Va Tech, BC, Louisville, and if we developed those, we can certainly develop rivalries with Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
Yes, I don't get the ACC love at all. The B1G's basketball powers and fans are in the Midwest so Connecticut residents may not be familiar with them, but they have a ton of basketball fans, and generate huge basketball attendance figures. We'll develop new rivalries. Personally, I can remember when we didn't have rivalries with Cuse, Pitt, Va Tech, BC, Louisville, and if we developed those, we can certainly develop rivalries with Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin.
We have some good history with Michigan State, and the NIT win over Ohio State launched the great program we have today. Rivalries would develop quickly.

Reaction Score
I just created an account on here and have been reading about what UCONN does and does not bring to a Power 5 conference. I'm interested in knowing what most fans would prefer?

If both the B1G and ACC showed interest in adding UCONN, which conference would you prefer and why?

I'd rather play B1G teams. Think about football - PSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa even Wisconsin (and the rest) instead of Duke, Wake Forest, UNC, NCState. ACC is better BB conference, thou.

Reaction Score
Hey guys... I'm a Spartan here... but for some reason unknown to me I enjoy reading posts on your site. I hope that some day soon the powers that be in the BIG will decide that UCONN should be a member. I realize that MSU is not on par with the likes of UCONN, UNC, DUKE, UK and KANSAS in the bball world but I think our teams could be great rivals.

I presently live in SEC country and cannot in my wildest dreams envision UCONN being part of that redneck conference. I attended Grad School at Duke and it was absolute culture shock for me migrating from a BIG university to an ACC school. From my perspective there is no comparison between the BIG and ACC. The ACC is run, ruled and operated for the existence of UNC. The BIG is a partnership of universities working together for the common good. I hope that if UCONN is given the opportunity to choose between the BIG and ACC, that they take these things into consideration.

Go STATE!

Reaction Score

I am a grad of IU, my oldest son has two degrees from PennState and I have family from IL and MN so I am actually biased in favor of the B1G. Academically and culturally I see UCONN as a better fit with the B1G and that type of school is what, I believe, Susan Herbst and the BOT are developing. Can't deny the excitement of an ACC tourney in the Garden though - if UCONN is in the

Someone mentioned a conference is a group you play against , true but a real conference has a sense of collegiality. Maybe even a fraternal spirit.The ACC is too disjointed to accomplish this goal. In the old Big East only the C's had this sense. The Tobacco Road ACC pre CR maybe had this sense. The B1G definitely has it.

pj

Reaction Score
I'd rather play B1G teams. Think about football - PSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa even Wisconsin (and the rest) instead of Duke, Wake Forest, UNC, NCState. ACC is better BB conference, thou.

Yes, this is huge. In the B1G we'd be in an eastern division with Rutgers, Penn State, Maryland, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State. In the ACC we'd be in a northern division with BC, Cuse, Pitt, L'ville, Va Tech, NC State, Wake. Basketball would be great either way, but football -- the eastern side of the B1G would be awesome, the northern side of the ACC would be no better than the old Big East and not much better than the AAC.

Reaction Score

The B1G doesn't care about basketball. Like, at all. Sure MState is good and Michigan has recently gotten pretty good, and Wisconsin is good, and Indiana is good, and Ohio State is good, and Illinois is occasionally good

I like how you say "The B1G doesn't care about basketball. Like, at all"...and then you rattle off half the Conference as pretty good. lol. Might as well add;

Purdue (most all-time B1G Championships - we kindof care)
Maryland (n00bs, but bring hoops)
Iowa
MINN (NIT Champs!)

We all 'care'. Of course NEB, PSU, NW (still solid most seasons), and RUTG struggle, but they still care. The B1G is balanced RE FBall and BBall like no other conference, IMO. I get your sentiment, but UCONN hoops would not have a cake-walk in the B1G by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd love to see the Huskies roll into Mackey Arena. The Midwest Madhouse. I'd be there in Black & Old Gold but I'd be damn happy to see those UCONN jerseys reppin' the B1G.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I like how you say "The B1G doesn't care about basketball. Like, at all"...and then you rattle off half the Conference as pretty good. lol. Might as well add;

Purdue (most all-time B1G Championships - we kindof care)
Maryland (n00bs, but bring hoops)
Iowa
MINN (NIT Champs!)

We all 'care'. Of course NEB, PSU, NW (still solid most seasons), and RUTG struggle, but they still care. The B1G is balanced RE FBall and BBall like no other conference, IMO. I get your sentiment, but UCONN hoops would not have a cake-walk in the B1G by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd love to see the Huskies roll into Mackey Arena. The Midwest Madhouse. I'd be there in Black & Old Gold but I'd be damn happy to see those UCONN jerseys reppin' the B1G.

B1G basketball is very good. I think from a Hoops perspective, if the B1G added UCONN then it would be a much tougher argument to say that the ACC is the best hoops conference in the country. UCONN would give the conference more of a northeastern exposure and significantly boost recruiting exposure for other B1G members. While the northeast isn't considered a major recruiting territory for football, it definitely is for the winter sports (hoops and hockey). Adding UCONN would give the B1G an elite program that can go toe to toe with the Dukes, UNCs, and Kentuckys of the college basketball world. Realistically, the only thing separating UCONN from a "blueblood" label is years. Even if UCONN doesn't win another title until 2030, they would still get the magical "blueblood" label applied. Also, from a recruiting perspective, if you had NYC/NJ through Chicago (including DC) on lockdown, then that is a vast recruiting area to find kids.

Reaction Score
We have some good history with Michigan State, and the NIT win over Ohio State launched the great program we have today. Rivalries would develop quickly.
This is strange? Love the conference that consistently disses ya? No thanks!!

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
We all 'care'. Of course NEB, PSU, NW (still solid most seasons), and RUTG struggle, but they still care.

Understandably, you are not yet familiar with Rutgers.

Reaction Score

Spot Freakin' on.

Reaction Score
Spot Freakin' on.
"Were unapologetically east coast ....Were Big East!!" Don't brag about that when you ask Swoffy for a seat in the mismash conference!!They certainly ain't proud of the fact that without the BE schools they would'nt even be a conference or the All Carolina(and Va)Conference! And I thought the BE was 7 catholics and a few others? There still active(BE) and would probably welcome you. I wonder how many B1G bigwigs read this board?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to make sweet, slow love to the b1g. I want to hate f0ck the ACC.

The b1g is the fun, pretty girl that everyone wants. The ACC is the slutty girl that slept with three of my friends. Both are on my mind more than I care to admit. Only one of them could possibly make me happy.
Decaying in the AAC is jerking off to National Geographic, how happy does that feel?

Reaction Score
Spot Freakin' on.

I for one would love this. But the B1G has been better than the ACC for the past several years. The ACC needs to get their mojo back. Maybe UConn could help with that. I know my alma mater doesn't help ACC bball at all.

Reaction Score
UConn would be a great fit for both conferences. So if UConn received an invite from the Big Ten and the ACC at the same time, they should look at the memberships of each, and see which schools are more of a cultural and philosophical match.

Almost all of the schools in the Big Ten are public flagship or land grant universities, and half are both. Almost all have very strong undergraduate and graduate academics. The ACC is more diverse with the types of institutions, but most are strong academically, and they are very much like some of the schools, such as Virginia, VT, and UNC. My two issues are their commissioner (personal bias and he probably won't be commissioner too much longer anyway) and they have a member who is not all in. And being passed over by BC, Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville probably doesn't help either. So my vote would be the Big Ten.

If the ACC extended the invite first, and the Big Ten only gave a promise they would be in as soon as a 16th team is identified, they should grab the ACC invite. You run the risk of UVA/UNC, Texas/Oklahoma, or some other pair that the Big Ten may want more than UConn sneak ahead, and the promise will turn into a worthless apology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01