If both the B1G and ACC wanted to add UCONN, which would you prefer and why? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If both the B1G and ACC wanted to add UCONN, which would you prefer and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd rather be a Big Ten institution but I'd rather play an ACC schedule. We'll contend/dominate in basketball in either league, but I think we'd have a better chance of competing in football in the ACC right away.

More importantly, more of the ACC schools are closer and with direct flights from Hartford, including three to the same airport (Raleigh-Durham). All of the schools are in the Eastern Time Zone, which is much better for the students and for TV.

In the end, though, the Big Ten is more stable and I would take an offer from them six days a week and twice on Sunday.

Reaction Score
The B1G doesn't care about basketball. Like, at all.

Did you not realize the Big Ten has led the nation in average basketball attendance for THIRTY EIGHT (38) consecutive years? They've led the nation since the second year the NCAA started charting attendance (1977). That's a lot of years to lead the nation in attendance for folks that don't care about basketball "like, at all."

Reaction Score
I don't think people realize or remember when the Big Ten was the power conference in basketball and football in the 80's and early 90's. The only reason some of these conferences have caught up or passed them in athletics (SEC football) is that they will let anyone in and these conferences have become sports factories. If that is what it takes for these conferences to pass the Big then shame on them because they have cheated the kids they so much love out of the most important thing a education. I hope the big never relaxes on its standards to keep up with the joneses. Academics over athletics.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think people realize or remember when the Big Ten was the power conference in basketball and football in the 80's and early 90's. The only reason some of these conferences have caught up or passed them in athletics (SEC football) is that they will let anyone in and these conferences have become sports factories. If that is what it takes for these conferences to pass the Big then shame on them because they have cheated the kids they so much love out of the most important thing a education. I hope the big never relaxes on its standards to keep up with the joneses. Academics over athletics.

Ohio St and Penn St say hello to the win at any cost comments. And IU hiring Kelvin Sampson wasn't for academic reasons either.

The B1G isn't in any shape to cast shame on anyone for misusing the student-athlete for gain.

The reason the SEC has squashed the B1G is because they've out-B1G'ed the B1G at their own game.

Reaction Score
Did you not realize the Big Ten has led the nation in average basketball attendance for THIRTY EIGHT (38) consecutive years? They've led the nation since the second year the NCAA started charting attendance (1977). That's a lot of years to lead the nation in attendance for folks that don't care about basketball "like, at all."

It's an exaggeration to say they don't care about basketball, but they're more a football conference than a basketball conference.

I think it'd be more fun to watch games against ACC teams than Big 10. There's more familiarity and dislike.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The ACC is too crowded with basketball schools. I'll take the B1G and all those Wisconsin blondes. (As long as they don't talk, that stupid accent ruins it for me)

Don't cha know. You want a Mich Light Golden do ya?

Reaction Score
It's an exaggeration to say they don't care about basketball, but they're more a football conference than a basketball conference.

I think it'd be more fun to watch games against ACC teams than Big 10. There's more familiarity and dislike.

I'm certainly not trying to tell you what preference you should have. That's your prerogative and if basketball is more important to you than everything else, being in the ACC is a compelling debate.

All I'm saying is you're drastically underselling the interest among Big Ten fans in basketball. They are very passionate about basketball too. When you lead the nation in average attendance for nearly four decades running, you clearly care a lot about the sport.

Reaction Score
Ohio St and Penn St say hello to the win at any cost comments. And IU hiring Kelvin Sampson wasn't for academic reasons either.

The B1G isn't in any shape to cast shame on anyone for misusing the student-athlete for gain.

The reason the SEC has squashed the B1G is because they've out-B1G'ed the B1G at their own game.

I don't think anything that happened at Penn State belongs in a conversation about winning at all costs. The things that happened there were not really about trying to win at all costs. And at the end of the day, frankly, I don't think looking the other way on free tattoos and players selling their personal belongings is winning at all costs either.

The Big Ten isn't without any corruption, but the SEC has far surpassed anyone and everyone in shameless, unapologetic behavior. We're talking routine oversigning and moving players along to make room; thousand dollar handshakes; new cars; Heck, consider that Auburn went to two title games with a pair of quarterbacks that were both kicked out of their previous schools for committing crimes.

Reaction Score

You talk about Sampson yeah you are right but what about Calipari

Reaction Score
I can say honestly no conferences hands are clean they are not but my opinion the SEC s hands are caked with dirt that will take years to clean off that oversign and moving players out the door is flat out wrong . If you take a poll on who runs the dirtiest conference I gurantee you the SEC wins that hands down

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think anything that happened at Penn State belongs in a conversation about winning at all costs. The things that happened there were not really about trying to win at all costs. And at the end of the day, frankly, I don't think looking the other way on free tattoos and players selling their personal belongings is winning at all costs either.

The Big Ten isn't without any corruption, but the SEC has far surpassed anyone and everyone in shameless, unapologetic behavior. We're talking routine oversigning and moving players along to make room; thousand dollar handshakes; new cars; Heck, consider that Auburn went to two title games with a pair of quarterbacks that were both kicked out of their previous schools for committing crimes.

And Indiana hired a basketball coach with a show cause for cheating.

I'm not trying to exonerate anything the SEC has done or is doing. I'm just saying the B1G doesn't have any room to call anyone out for cheating or skirting the rules.

And everything that happened at PSU was due to a culture of promoting purity in athletics. All while young boys were being raped on campus.

Reaction Score

I'm not trying to exonerate anything the SEC has done or is doing. I'm just saying the B1G doesn't have any room to call anyone out for cheating or skirting the rules.

And everything that happened at PSU was due to a culture of promoting purity in athletics. All while young boys were being raped on campus.
Kentucky hired Calipari who is the only coach in NCAA history to have 2 final fours from two different schools vacated . Trust me I

Reaction Score
I guess UConn will have to decide to go to the ACC for 20 mil a year or join the big and be included in the cic where they can gain hundreds of millions of dollars just for academics no other conference can give them this plus a bigger sports paycheck.

Reaction Score
I guess UConn will have to decide to go to the ACC for 20 mil a year or join the big and be included in the cic where they can gain hundreds of millions of dollars just for academics no other conference can give them this plus a bigger sports paycheck.
More like 15-16m a yr I think that "20M" is the back end in "26-27" at the end of the buyoff by Espin...by then the B1G will maybe double that up!?! Or get close to 44/46M when they finally get near 20M.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

No, everything that happened at Penn State was because one man had an affliction for young boys. Let's drop the silly pretense that has anything to do with sports. Frankly, acting like this has anything to do with "winning" is intellectual dishonesty at its worst.

Furthermore, by your logic, someone who's convicted of running a red light can't criticize a felon. After all, they both are criminals.

No one is perfectly clean, but that doesn't mean conferences like the Big Ten are remotely anything on the same scale of cheating as someone like the SEC. The Big Ten is guilty of minor recruiting violations and current players getting extra benefits around campus. The SEC has coaches that flat out buy recruits. There is no comparison.

pj

Reaction Score
The Big Ten is probably the most respected conference as far as rules-abiding goes. In the Pac USC has had their share of scandal; the SEC is notorious; Oklahoma and Texas schools have had scandals in the B12, and Missouri when they were there; Miami was in trouble repeatedly, and UNC has just had their cheating scandal. If I had to pick a "cleanest hands" conference I'd go with the B1G.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I would take the B1G over the ACC and that is a turnabout for me. When I think of questions like this I leave all the money crap out and just think of rooting and rivalries. I'd love to play Duke and UNC in hoops on a regular basis. I think renewing rivalries with BC, Cuse and Pitt would be good for hoops and FB. However, none of our former BE brethren have helped us and have, in fact, shunned us. Without UConn to help shore up the northeast I can see each of those schools recede (Pitt less so). I also think that UConn would have an easier road FB wise in the ACC. I don't have an f them attitude...well....yes I do. Still, I'd take an offer and I'd go with a positive attitude.

I think we have more in common with the B1G schools. Look, we're smaller, we have less of a history and a smaller endowment but we've shown over the last 30 years that we can get things done as an institution of higher learning and in athletics. The B1G would be doing us a favor but would in turn be rewarded with quality and passion. I'd love to watch our FB rise to the level of the B1G. I 'd love to watch our men play Wisconsin, Indiana, Mich St, etc in hoops. When I think of the B1G, I think of "storied" institutions. Why wouldn't I prefer UConn to be amongst them?

Reaction Score
While
I would take the B1G over the ACC and that is a turnabout for me. When I think of questions like this I leave all the money crap out and just think of rooting and rivalries. I'd love to play Duke and UNC in hoops on a regular basis. I think renewing rivalries with BC, Cuse and Pitt would be good for hoops and FB. However, none of our former BE brethren have helped us and have, in fact, shunned us. Without UConn to help shore up the northeast I can see each of those schools recede (Pitt less so). I also think that UConn would have an easier road FB wise in the ACC. I don't have an f them attitude...well....yes I do. Still, I'd take an offer and I'd go with a positive attitude.

I think we have more in common with the B1G schools. Look, we're smaller, we have less of a history and a smaller endowment but we've shown over the last 30 years that we can get things done as an institution of higher learning and in athletics. The B1G would be doing us a favor but would in turn be rewarded with quality and passion. I'd love to watch our FB rise to the level of the B1G. I 'd love to watch our men play Wisconsin, Indiana, Mich St, etc in hoops. When I think of the B1G, I think of "storied" institutions. Why wouldn't I prefer UConn to be amongst them?

Captured my thoughts perfectly. The b1g is a better peer group in every way but "historical hoops history with uconn". Many of the universities and towns in the b1g are the inspiration for our strategic plan. Much more so than any northeastern private school. The university will be better off in the long run keeping the B1g as company.

It wouldn't take me long at all to learn to hate osu, mich, Purdue, iu, msu, wisky on the hardwood. I already hate Maryland hoops. And New Jersey anything.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten is probably the most respected conference as far as rules-abiding goes. In the Pac USC has had their share of scandal; the SEC is notorious; Oklahoma and Texas schools have had scandals in the B12, and Missouri when they were there; Miami was in trouble repeatedly, and UNC has just had their cheating scandal. If I had to pick a "cleanest hands" conference I'd go with the B1G.
Don't forget Colorado's 5th down.

Reaction Score
More like 15-16m a yr I think that "20" is the back end in "26-27" at the end of the buyoff by Espin...by then the B1G will maybe doublr that up!?! Or close to 44/46M when they finally get near 20M.
Thats not correct....for 2013-2014 the A.C.C. paid out a conference record $297.1 mil....(Per ESPN on A.C.C. blog). Each school recv. a share of 20.8 mil and the N.D. partial share payout was not disclosed, ... but not hard to figure out if you do the math. The 14 schools total share comes to 291.2 mil leaving 5.9 million for the Irish.

Reaction Score
No, everything that happened at Penn State was because one man had an affliction for young boys. Let's drop the silly pretense that has anything to do with sports. Frankly, acting like this has anything to do with "winning" is intellectual dishonesty at its worst.

Furthermore, by your logic, someone who's convicted of running a red light can't criticize a felon. After all, they both are criminals.

No one is perfectly clean, but that doesn't mean conferences like the Big Ten are remotely anything on the same scale of cheating as someone like the SEC. The Big Ten is guilty of minor recruiting violations and current players getting extra benefits around campus. The SEC has coaches that flat out buy recruits. There is no comparison.

Thanks Kyle for taking up our cause. It is difficult for PSU Alums to discuss this subject on other message boards because we are immediately brandished enablers, apologists, etc. The reality is that terrible things occurred in State College. No one will deny that. They just had ZERO to do with football. The irony of PSU's "involvement" in all of this, is that Jerry was found not guilty on the charges levied against him by Mike Mcqueary's Testimony.

Mike's Story of happening across Jerry in a shower with a young boy, was the one that captured national interest and brought PSU Football into the picture. Its a story that has been documented to have changed at least 3 times, and was clearly found to be not credible by a criminal jury. Sadly the State of PA decided that if Sandusky was entirely a PSU Football and Joe Paterno problem(as sensational of a lightning rod as there has ever been), than it was not a Children and Youth, PA State Police, Second Mile, or Penn State Administration problem.

It was clearly a lot easier to punish and "reform" PSU Football than to try to examine the failings of the those listed above and reform them. The NCAA simply capitalized on an opportunity handed to them by The PSU Administration to look like the heavy for a change. In light of their major enforcement failures in places like Auburn, Miami, and UNC, Lord Emmert could not pass up this opportunity. So a program that had never committed a major NCAA Violation was handed the worst penalties since SMU in the 1980's.

Anyone who is not intellectually dishonest(as you stated) can see how screwed up that was. In a few months you will see this 3 year charade play out with George Mitchell's next "report." There will still be a handful of people crying foul when PSU gets to play in a bowl game this season, but critical thinking has started to take the place of irrational overreaction among the general public.

To this day PSU Athletics is still one of the only athletic departments in the country to have never committed a major NCAA Infraction in any sport. Our athletes take actual classes and graduate at a high level. They are also deeply involved in community service and local charity work aiding in raising over 100 million dollars for cancer research for example. This is not something new. It sure as hell is not something inspired by the dipschitts at The NCAA or by George Mitchell's Reports.

It is not difficult to reform athletics at a school when no problem exists to begin with. Lumping PSU Athletics in with the bag men, $1000.00 handshakes, and yearly 30 player recruiting classes of the SEC is a major disrespect to all the athletes who wear The PSU uniform. Once again what happened was tragic, but still completely unrelated to any athletic advantage gained.

Reaction Score
That was my point exactly

Reaction Score
Thanks Kyle for taking up our cause. It is difficult for PSU Alums to discuss this subject on other message boards because we are immediately brandished enablers, apologists, etc. The reality is that terrible things occurred in State College. No one will deny that. They just had ZERO to do with football. The irony of PSU's "involvement" in all of this, is that Jerry was found not guilty on the charges levied against him by Mike Mcqueary's Testimony.

Mike's Story of happening across Jerry in a shower with a young boy, was the one that captured national interest and brought PSU Football into the picture. Its a story that has been documented to have changed at least 3 times, and was clearly found to be not credible by a criminal jury. Sadly the State of PA decided that if Sandusky was entirely a PSU Football and Joe Paterno problem(as sensational of a lightning rod as there has ever been), than it was not a Children and Youth, PA State Police, Second Mile, or Penn State Administration problem.

It was clearly a lot easier to punish and "reform" PSU Football than to try to examine the failings of the those listed above and reform them. The NCAA simply capitalized on an opportunity handed to them by The PSU Administration to look like the heavy for a change. In light of their major enforcement failures in places like Auburn, Miami, and UNC, Lord Emmert could not pass up this opportunity. So a program that had never committed a major NCAA Violation was handed the worst penalties since SMU in the 1980's.

Anyone who is not intellectually dishonest(as you stated) can see how screwed up that was. In a few months you will see this 3 year charade play out with George Mitchell's next "report." There will still be a handful of people crying foul when PSU gets to play in a bowl game this season, but critical thinking has started to take the place of irrational overreaction among the general public.

To this day PSU Athletics is still one of the only athletic departments in the country to have never committed a major NCAA Infraction in any sport. Our athletes take actual classes and graduate at a high level. They are also deeply involved in community service and local charity work aiding in raising over 100 million dollars for cancer research for example. This is not something new. It sure as hell is not something inspired by the dipschitts at The NCAA or by George Mitchell's Reports.

It is not difficult to reform athletics at a school when no problem exists to begin with. Lumping PSU Athletics in with the bag men, $1000.00 handshakes, and yearly 30 player recruiting classes of the SEC is a major disrespect to all the athletes who wear The PSU uniform. Once again what happened was tragic, but still completely unrelated to any athletic advantage gained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom