I am convinced that Jenn will step into Geno's. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I am convinced that Jenn will step into Geno's. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with vtcw. Jen had some good years at Hartford a good number of years back (winning the conference, making it to the NCAA's), but her program has taken a huge step backwards in the past several years. She's shown no ability to recruit or coach top level talent. I can see her being given some consideration, but I think it's unlikely unless she commits herself to a higher profile program and then seeing what results she has from there.

I can see why people want the next UCONN HC to come from the UCONN tree - they type of practices and program that Geno and CD run is 2nd to none, and it's more intense than any other program out there. A new HC with a totally different approach would deter the program from the path it's been on since a new HC will ultimately want to do things their way. Just look at how much Duke changed when Goestenkors was replaced by McCallie. On the positive side, look at programs like OSU, UCLA, Texas, and other programs who have really risen with new head coaches...

Honestly I have no idea who I'd like to see but... Shea has overcome incredible obstacles to get to where she is today (her anexoria was well documented even thru high school), and I think she has the passion and fire and intensity (not to mention the recruiting and coaching skills) to succeed. Don't count out Marisa - 6 years at UCONN preceded by 2 years at Minnesota. Prior to that she spent one year at Univ. of Denver. 9 years assistant coaching experience.

Shea joined Pitt in 2003 so she has 2-3 years more experience that Marisa. I have no idea which would make a better HC, but I'm sure Geno and CD (being on the inside) could tell.

At this point neither Tonya nor Jamelle have had any substantial growth in the programs they took over - maybe it's the support from the university, but maybe it's something within them. I agree that anyone you put at the top at UCONN automatically launches themselves into the highest echelon of the coaching fraternity, but I'd like to see someone with success historically. Unfortunately for Shea and Marisa - all their success has come at UCONN. How would they fare as a HC? Any better than Tonya and Jamelle or even Jen? I have no idea.

I like the idea of taking a young up and coming HC from a mid major. Look at the job McGuff has done at OSU. He took Xavier from an average program to the top of their league. He improved the Wash. Huskies in his 2 years there. and OSU went from a sub .500 team his first season to a 2nd round team in the NCAA's in his 2nd. IMHO, someone like him would be ideal. A person with a proven track record of building a program and being able to recruit at a high level, even at "mid majors". I'd really like to see the next UCONN HC come from a place where they actually BUILT a program. If McGuff can do it at Xavier, there's no reason a coach like Tonya or Jamelle can't do it at Temple or Cincy. And it's what any candidate for the UCONN HC needs to be able to show.

I am sure by the time Geno retires (hopefully closer to 8-10 years), other candidates will present themselves. This is a fun exercise, but it's really premature since it's at least 5 years away and that gives plenty of time for coaches to distinguish themselves at other universities.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Rizzotti has accomplished little at Hartford, especially in the last few years. Last year she had a losing record - in a losing conference. I'm not sure that she would take the job at UConn if it were offered. She may not be willing to make the sort of commitment that it requires. She has a young family that may be of more importance.

Outside of Ralph I can't think of a UConn player with the right coaching experience. Auriemma's coaching tree hasn't set the sport on fire. I would not be surprised if UConn went outside the Husky family.

As for Berube, I remember reading an interview several years ago and she seemed to be very content at Tufts. Something like "this is exactly where I want to coach." That may have changed but I doubt it.

And, I'd add, vtc, that folks who think that asking Jen to step up from UHart to UConn is too much, imagine asking Carla to step up from a DIII program. I can't imagine what all the folks who throw out names like DT and Bird are thinking - great players, but, without a moment's coaching experience at any level that I'm aware of.

If you go with the premise of "staying in the family", Shea is indeed the most qualified candidate - but, I suspect you're right in thinking that UConn will end up going outside.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
No way it's Jenn. It will be Diana's or Shea's to lose, in my view, working Birdie. That team of three in some combination is I hope in the cards, in about 10 years though. Geno has a lot of juice left.

Reaction Score
If the new H.C. does not come from within the UCONN circle then I hope Jeff Walz gets consideration. I know he has had success with Louisville and he seems like he would be a good fit for UCONN.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd be stunned if it didn't go to Shea.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie had no head coaching experience. Geno has said multiple times that he continues to put more responsibilities with Shea. IMHO he's grooming her to be a head coach. Jen had zero head coaching experience before University of Hartford called and offered her the position.
There is a big difference between the University of Hartford and UConn.With that being said anything is possible.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Thanks one and all for a robust discussion. I must admit that I now harbor doubts about Jenn (still not ruling her out!) and acknowledge that Shea certainly deserves very serious consideration. I believe we are all agreed that we hope Geno is in no hurry to hand over the reins and that it should be interesting to try to read tea leaves in months to come (e.g., who will assist Geno in Rio? Jenn? Shea?). Time will tell - or will it?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think before UConn goes outside they will give a shot to a UConn connection who, imo, will be Shea Ralph. One reason being her experience in recruiting.

Reaction Score
I like the St. John's coach; so much so that I forgot his name I liked the way they played us.
:)

Reaction Score
U of H will never greatly expand any of its athletic programs regardless of their success. The athletic budget will remain small potatoes as with almost every other small private university and their appeal to elite athletes will remain minimal regardless of who coaches them. Being stuck in the NE and specifically CT which is anything but a basketball hot bed makes recruiting even harder.
Some days CT is bball capital of the world and some days it's not even a hotbed

Reaction Score
Thanks one and all for a robust discussion. I must admit that I now harbor doubts about Jenn (still not ruling her out!) and acknowledge that Shea certainly deserves very serious consideration. I believe we are all agreed that we hope Geno is in no hurry to hand over the reins and that it should be interesting to try to read tea leaves in months to come (e.g., who will assist Geno in Rio? Jenn? Shea?). Time will tell - or will it?:rolleyes:
I don't think coaches ever retire while they're still consistently contending for NC's - even if they're 90. If this is true, then when Geno does retire it will be when he's in a period of declining results - probably the worst time to let him decide or have major input on to whom he would "hands the riens." That shouldn't be his decision.

And, if you believe that, than Geno shouldn't be "grooming" anyone to take over for himself - he should be grooming them to take head coaching jobs, but not necessarily his. If it's really going to be 5-8 years, then Shea should go get a head coaching job and prove herself. If she's really the right one, then she could come back better than when she left.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If the new H.C. does not come from within the UCONN circle then I hope Jeff Walz gets consideration. I know he has had success with Louisville and he seems like he would be a good fit for UCONN.

We wouldn't be able to get him. I am positive UConn won't be able to get just anyone it wants. I thought the recent coaching searches at Tennessee and Texas were telling, and a a marquee name wasn't in the cards for either of them in 2012. May well have been good choices for each, but there was no splash hire available.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
At what point does Geno start telling recruits..."Look, I can't promise I will be coaching here when you graduate...".

Reaction Score
At what point does Geno start telling recruits..."Look, I can't promise I will be coaching here when you graduate...".
Never. When he does that they stop coming to play for him. The new coach will need to be charismatic enough to get their own recruits to come play for him/herself, and to retain the core he/she wants from Geno's last 2-3 classes

Reaction Score
As someone who has never been on the bandwagon of Jenn, I have yet to grip why so many would like to give her the keys. And I have heard a long laundry list of things- being a feisty Italian(American) is the best. What has she really accomplished at Trinity? If she has more then the others sitting on the current Uconn bench- say it. Has her years with USA basketball been an advantage for recruitment at Trinity? It would only be fair if Uconn casts a wide net. Geno will take his magic with him, it would be foolhearty to think otherwise. As for Diana- I see Sue first then D. D might be more westcoast thenj we think!! More likely to break the ice elsewhere.[/QUOTE

Jen- University of Hartford, not Trinity. Sue Bird is my favorite for next HC. Regardless of head coaching experience, ala Kevin Ollie, she has big time credentials both as a player, leader, all time great in the women's basketball world and known name for recruiting. Also, didn't I read somewhere recently that she would like to coach. If it's 5 or 6 years into the future, she may have acquired coaching experience by then.
Lots of schools will want her!

As someone who has never been on the bandwagon of Jenn, I have yet to grip why so many would like to give her the keys. And I have heard a long laundry list of things- being a feisty Italian(American) is the best. What has she really accomplished at Trinity? If she has more then the others sitting on the current Uconn bench- say it. Has her years with USA basketball been an advantage for recruitment at Trinity? It would only be fair if Uconn casts a wide net. Geno will take his magic with him, it would be foolhearty to think otherwise. As for Diana- I see Sue first then D. D might be more westcoast then we think!! More likely to break the ice elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Some days CT is bball capital of the world and some days it's not even a hotbed
Look at our roster over the years. How many of the starters came from Connecticut?

And the day that happens, we're the new La. Tech or Old Dominion. Probably won't fare as well as Tennessee's transition post-Summitt given that they are in arguably America's best (at least most hyped) athletic conference and can always ride that, while we are in the American.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Never. When he does that they stop coming to play for him. The new coach will need to be charismatic enough to get their own recruits to come play for him/herself, and to retain the core he/she wants from Geno's last 2-3 classes
If Geno's in my living room I'm asking him if he will be my coach when I'm a senior. At some point he has to say....uhhhhh.

Reaction Score
If Geno's in my living room I'm asking him if he will be my coach when I'm a senior. At some point he has to say....uhhhhh.
My guess is he definitely sees KLS, DJB, and Collier graduate. Probably the class of AEH, CD, Bent, and Irwin too, but for Walker's class I'm guessing not.

Reaction Score
Having followed their careers and cheered for them as players I am very supportive of Jenn, and Shea, and Marissa, and DT and Sue, and Carla but I think that it takes a form of myopia not to see that the next coach (ten years or more from now) will more than likely come from outside.

Posters on this thread have shown great affection for the girls who have helped get us here, but recognizing that they have been an important part of UCONN's past is not enough reason to think that they are automatically qualified to take command of the ship.

I'm with J66 on this; unless something sudden happens to cause Geno to step down he will be here coaching the team for 5-10 years, and if Shea is in fact the one who will eventually take his place, then she should be listening to those offers to coach a mid-major and go off to learn first hand how to organize and run her own program.

Anyone who has been in management knows that one sure lesson (that is sometimes learned painfully) is that a "great" number two can fall flat when asked to run the franchise. Shea may have a future here but I wouldn't ask her to move over to sit in Geno's seat before she showed that being a head coach is in her DNA.

If and when any of our former players demonstrate the coaching skills that Courney Banghart has displayed (and Carla by the way has taken Tufts to the playoffs and beyond, even if it's only Division III) then I'll feel better about what's ahead for the Huskies. Until then I've got to think that as much as I love our girls I don't see one of them replacing Geno. Not yet.

Reaction Score
Good luck!!.............The job will pay 10 times what Jen is making at U of H..........These things tend to work themselves out by them selves

Reaction Score
Just to set things on fire, I think that Shea Ralph will be Geno's replacement. And, the replacement for CD will be Diana Taurasi. Sue Bird may want this as well and could be a contender. Their careers are winding down, all though, the way that they play does not show much wear and, definitely, shows age and wisdom. This may be a formidable coaching and recruiting team for continuing a UConn women's program of excellence.

Reaction Score
Having followed their careers and cheered for them as players I am very supportive of Jenn, and Shea, and Marissa, and DT and Sue, and Carla but I think that it takes a form of myopia not to see that the next coach (ten years or more from now) will more than likely come from outside.

Posters on this thread have shown great affection for the girls who have helped get us here, but recognizing that they have been an important part of UCONN's past is not enough reason to think that they are automatically qualified to take command of the ship.

I'm with J66 on this; unless something sudden happens to cause Geno to step down he will be here coaching the team for 5-10 years, and if Shea is in fact the one who will eventually take his place, then she should be listening to those offers to coach a mid-major and go off to learn first hand how to organize and run her own program.

Anyone who has been in management knows that one sure lesson (that is sometimes learned painfully) is that a "great" number two can fall flat when asked to run the franchise. Shea may have a future here but I wouldn't ask her to move over to sit in Geno's seat before she showed that being a head coach is in her DNA.

If and when any of our former players demonstrate the coaching skills that Courney Banghart has displayed (and Carla by the way has taken Tufts to the playoffs and beyond, even if it's only Division III) then I'll feel better about what's ahead for the Huskies. Until then I've got to think that as much as I love our girls I don't see one of them replacing Geno. Not yet.

In the same vein, Wendy Davis is the head coach at Trinity starting her 11th year. During the previous ten years, Wendy has taken her teams to the playoffs eight times. She has 15 years as a head coach, DivIII. According to her resume, she sat on the UConn bench as an assistant in 1993-94.
I agree, if she doesn't take any mid major opportunities in the next five years, Geno's job will be out of reach. Also, I presume not to know what her career goals are. She not only is coach at Trinity, but also an assistant professor.
Wendy was a sniper before DT and KML came along and a great local high school player in southeast PA.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'll weigh in on this- I've always thought Jen would be the next head coach and that she probably deserved it. I think Shea would be a great choice as well.
If I were making the decision & she were willing to do it- hands down Diana! It's going to be depressing enough when he packs it in. We need a personality like D, with maybe Sue and Kelly Farris as ast coaches. This program needs a big big name and and a huge personality to fill his shoes! Just my opinion. I also think Jeff Walz would be a good choice. Maybe Rick Pitino? Maybe Bobby Knight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom