I am convinced that Jenn will step into Geno's. . . | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I am convinced that Jenn will step into Geno's. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having followed their careers and cheered for them as players I am very supportive of Jenn, and Shea, and Marissa, and DT and Sue, and Carla but I think that it takes a form of myopia not to see that the next coach (ten years or more from now) will more than likely come from outside.

Posters on this thread have shown great affection for the girls who have helped get us here, but recognizing that they have been an important part of UCONN's past is not enough reason to think that they are automatically qualified to take command of the ship.

I'm with J66 on this; unless something sudden happens to cause Geno to step down he will be here coaching the team for 5-10 years, and if Shea is in fact the one who will eventually take his place, then she should be listening to those offers to coach a mid-major and go off to learn first hand how to organize and run her own program.

Anyone who has been in management knows that one sure lesson (that is sometimes learned painfully) is that a "great" number two can fall flat when asked to run the franchise. Shea may have a future here but I wouldn't ask her to move over to sit in Geno's seat before she showed that being a head coach is in her DNA.

If and when any of our former players demonstrate the coaching skills that Courney Banghart has displayed (and Carla by the way has taken Tufts to the playoffs and beyond, even if it's only Division III) then I'll feel better about what's ahead for the Huskies. Until then I've got to think that as much as I love our girls I don't see one of them replacing Geno. Not yet.
Jen, Shea, Marissa, DT, Sue, and Carla are all in their 30s. Please don't insult them by calling them "girls", or even worse, "ladies". They are women. Girls are in high school and below. Once they turn 18 they are women, just as boys become men.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@zakalex What, in your view, is bad about using the word "ladies?" Are you equally offended by the word "gentlemen?' Just curious.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Jen, Shea, Marissa, DT, Sue, and Carla are all in their 30s. Please don't insult them by calling them "girls", or even worse, "ladies". They are women. Girls are in high school and below. Once they turn 18 they are women, just as boys become men.
These types of posts are the reason why I have stayed away- thks- you just did me a favor! :)

Reaction Score
When I walked in from work tonight my wife said "I'm heading out to Jane's, some of the girls are going to be there."

It's probably about thirty years since the youngest of them was an 18 year-old girl. There was no insult intended. Some women use that term.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
When I walked in from work tonight my wife said "I'm heading out to Jane's, some of the girls are going to be there."

It's probably about thirty years since the youngest of them was an 18 year-old girl. There was no insult intended. Some women use that term.
The women and young ladies in my insurance office love it when I refer to them as my girls!!! Obviously the same term can be used by the occasional male cheuvenist- but I'm just so sick of all the PC- will be in So Car and Ok about half the time soon! I can't wait!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie had no head coaching experience. Geno has said multiple times that he continues to put more responsibilities with Shea. IMHO he's grooming her to be a head coach. Jen had zero head coaching experience before University of Hartford called and offered her the position.
I agree. It would be an awful boot to Shea to not get the job. She is a hard worker, and I have never see any coach more intense during a game. Watch her she is on top of things...

Reaction Score
There is a big difference between the University of Hartford and UConn.With that being said anything is possible.

I definitely do not disagree, but a long time assistant coach being named the new head coach is not a far reach. It happens all the time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
These types of posts are the reason why I have stayed away- thks- you just did me a favor! :)

Well, in point of fact, to Geno quite often they are "my guys" or "our guys", so there's that... :oops::D

Sorry Kib you weren't up when I started this post. Hard 2 fingered typing with lap top on my chest laying in bed!

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie had no head coaching experience. Geno has said multiple times that he continues to put more responsibilities with Shea. IMHO he's grooming her to be a head coach. Jen had zero head coaching experience before University of Hartford called and offered her the position.
No one has head coaching job until he or she is a head coach. Hartford was a good starting point for her and schools like that would be a good starting point for any one of a number of wanna be coaches. If you were talking about ANY coaching experience, that's a bit different. I think Shea is a really valid candidate but it could be someone that isn't part of the UConn family. I'd be inclined to go with Shea, though!

Reaction Score
And, I'd add, vtc, that folks who think that asking Jen to step up from UHart to UConn is too much, imagine asking Carla to step up from a DIII program. I can't imagine what all the folks who throw out names like DT and Bird are thinking - great players, but, without a moment's coaching experience at any level that I'm aware of.

If you go with the premise of "staying in the family", Shea is indeed the most qualified candidate - but, I suspect you're right in thinking that UConn will end up going outside.
I don't think there's much of a distinction between UHart and Tufts and I think Berube has had more success. I think she'd be at least as good a candidate as Jenn but I don't think there's any possibility either will step in after Geno!

Reaction Score
WBB (and I would add Field Hoc) at Uconn is one of the most critical branding thing that the Univ can wield out. There are histories of Programs that went from the very top to the bottom. I'm not against picking a high school coach to replace someone like Geno. Afterall, UTexas did it. But UT-Austin is not Uconn-Storrs. The former can feed on the local home grown produce. With the School in the AAC (no disrespect intended), it will need more then the old banners hanging from the tafters. Personally, I would give Shea w/ Marrissa serious considerations, but I would also look to the WNBA and the colleges (I like the Princeton coach- and others). Minn(WNBA) has about one more Championship in them, so maybe the coach my be open to something different. And she knows our players and Geno. Would Geno whisper something in her ears? Would Shea and Marrissa stay- were that to come true? One thing for sure, Uconn/Geno will not throw Shea and Marrissa out without years of warning.
Also, I suspect that WBB will undergo major changes of a competitive nature- especially in the area of recruitment and schools, so that by the time Geno leaves there will be much to consider. Much more then just passing the torch to a deciple.

Reaction Score
I would have a hard time choosing between Sue Bird and Jenn Rizzotti. Which one would bring the most to the program is open to question. I think Bird would have a greater impact on recruiting. Rizzotti has the experience advantage in coaching.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
images

Or maybe "oh girl", or maybe "Oh woman".

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

My wife is in her 60's. She often goes to "dinner with the girls" and she meets weekly with the "girls" in her book (wine?) club. She shops with her "girl friends." In the context of the post the word simply identifies gender and should not be considered derogatory.

Don't take offense where none is intended.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter if Geno breaks Pat's record for number of wins as he probably won't end up with the record for most wins. Tara Vanderveer (Stanford) has 36 more wins and I anticipate she will eventually end up with the most wins of any coach. Geno is 10 months younger then Tara but I can see Tara coaching for another 10 years, while its unlikely that Geno will due to his outside business interest. Stringer and Hatchell also have more wins then Geno, but suspect both will retire in the next year or two and Geno and Tara will pass the both of them.

I also don't think Geno cares about the record for most wins and he won't continue to coach for that reason. When he feels it time to retire, he'll do so and be extremely happy with what he and CD have accomplished.

Could very well be that when CD says, its time for me to retire, that Geno will say okay, I'm going with you. Don't see Geno staying on, if CD retires.

I believe Geno will stay to break Pats record of wins. What other records will he want well they are his. UConn looks in pretty great shape for the next 4-5 years. What will Geno do when he leaves? It will be very tuff for him to retire from what he has built and from USA WBB. IMO Jenn looks like a great replacement, however you don't step on CD if she stays or Shea. Do you keep Geno on board to work with the new HC and CD to work as her asst?Some questions that need to be answered. You have a tuff call to make if Shea isn't asked to replace Geno. JMO

Last edited:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
No way it's Jenn. It will be Diana's or Shea's to lose, in my view, working Birdie. That team of three in some combination is I hope in the cards, in about 10 years though. Geno has a lot of juice left.
DT3 has said in the past she has no interest in coaching, although she may have changed her mind? I believe with her personality, celebrity, and knowledge of the game she's likely headed for the Broadcast booth when she's finished playing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know we aren't supposed to go there, but ...
There has always been an interesting dynamic with Geno because he is a guy - great coaches are great coaches regardless of gender, but there is no denying that within family units, and a college basketball team is not that far removed from a family unit, there is definitely different dynamics in play between authority figures of different genders. This is especially true the younger the non-authority figures are. And the typical breakdown is stronger bonds across gender.
The Uconn situation with Geno and an almost equal CD I think has been an advantage in recruiting over the years. These young women are leaving their childhood unit for the first time in their lives and there is a certain comfort level in adopting a similar unit in college.
I don't think this means you look specifically for a male HC, but I do think you consider at least looking for a mixture of two strong candidates of different genders that can work as HC and assistant.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As this vibrant discussion continues, let me introduce an up-and-coming young coach that I see as being on a sharp upward trajectory: Ms McConnell-Serio of Pitt. She reminds me of Sheri Coale or Barnes-Arico, but she may be better. Bears watching over next few years.

Reaction Score
I already threw Jeff Walz' hat in the ring and now I will throw in Jose Fernandez' hat. He has done an excellent job at USF and gets a lot out of his players. I would also like to nominate Kelly Faris for some type of assistant coach. Geno has always touted her BB IQ and if she has some coaching skills she might be a great addition to the coaching staff.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think you look at the lay of the land when you have to do so; this has a bad mojo feel to it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
images

Or maybe "oh girl", or maybe "Oh woman".

Don't you know that gender references of any kind are sexist Meyers; just look at what is going on on some campuses - the higher the tuition the deeper the PC BS.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I don't think there's much of a distinction between UHart and Tufts and I think Berube has had more success. I think she'd be at least as good a candidate as Jenn but I don't think there's any possibility either will step in after Geno!

Maybe it's just my perspective from having worked for 11+ years at a DIII school, but I've always thought there were a few big differences - DI has to deal with scholarships, greater travel, greater money issues, and a bigger (sometimes much bigger) media factor. Folks better versed than I in the issues might add more to this discussion.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'd be stunned if it didn't go to Shea.

OK.......Let's start the debate. For starters, I have no idea who will succeed Geno, or who would be on their short list.
If YOU were on the search committee, what current coach would be on YOUR short list of candidates? I'll throw out 3 names to get the ball rolling.

I'm impressed with Dayton's Jim Jabir, Louisville's Jeff Walz and The Indiana Fever's Stephanie White. I could see each one of these "established" coaches taking over the husky program and being moderately successful.

I doubt anyone will come in and have the success that Geno has. We're watching history being made. Like Wooden's legacy at UCLA, what we're seeing now at UConn will probably never be repeated.

IMO.....No one will ever come close to matching the success that Geno has amassed thus far. What say you??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom