I am convinced that Jenn will step into Geno's. . . | The Boneyard

I am convinced that Jenn will step into Geno's. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . shoes as next UConn HC. The recent interview in The Courant convinced me, especially as it traces her sustained close association with Geno and USA Basketball. (He is hardly grooming Doug Bruno or Dawn Staley as his successor at UConn.)

My best WAG is that Geno will stay at it for about five more years (give or take a couple), at which time he and CD will retire together. By my logic, Shea will step up to CD's position and Jenn will select a replacement for Shea. (Diana?)

All conjecture, of course, with no inside info beyond what has been published. But I ask: Who else but Jenn?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I used to think that, but I got a different vibe from that story - Jen appears to be really content at Hartford working with her husband and raising her family and occasionally doing a USA basketball gig. She is still 10 years away from an empty nest and maybe not interested in what it would take to move up the chain until then. I think she recognizes the much greater time commitment involved in running a major program and the different environment involved in the WNBA jobs and at this point prefers the balance that she has achieved. At Uconn or in the WNBA I don't think she gets to work with her husband.

Reaction Score
. . . shoes as next UConn HC. The interview in The Courant convinced me, especially as it traces her sustained close association with Geno and USA Basketball.

My best WAG is that Geno will stay at it for about five more years (give or take a couple), at which time he and CD will retire together. By my logic, Shea will step up to CD's position and Jenn will select a replacement for Shea. (Diana?)

All conjecture, of course, with no inside info beyond what has been published. But I ask: Who else but Jenn?

WAG'S or no WAG's I like the conjecture. Geno has nothing left to prove to the Basketball world, or himself. But the draw on the ego of adulation, people hanging on your every word, the media at your door (albeit a drag while getting it daily) is intoxicating. It took me time to say RETIRE--it was hard--my advise to Geno is when the decision is made--GO. The position of Emeritus is so much better than being the "MAN".
I am not sure Jenn alone will ever be able to keep Uconn at this level, maybe no one can, because her track record at U of H leaves some room for improvement. Geno with a like program 30 odd years ago started Uconn to the program it is today. If not Jenn who then?

Reaction Score
As someone who has never been on the bandwagon of Jenn, I have yet to grip why so many would like to give her the keys. And I have heard a long laundry list of things- being a feisty Italian(American) is the best. What has she really accomplished at Trinity? If she has more then the others sitting on the current Uconn bench- say it. Has her years with USA basketball been an advantage for recruitment at Trinity? It would only be fair if Uconn casts a wide net. Geno will take his magic with him, it would be foolhearty to think otherwise. As for Diana- I see Sue first then D. D might be more westcoast then we think!! More likely to break the ice elsewhere.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I believe Geno will stay to break Pats record of wins. What other records will he want well they are his. UConn looks in pretty great shape for the next 4-5 years. What will Geno do when he leaves? It will be very tuff for him to retire from what he has built and from USA WBB. IMO Jenn looks like a great replacement, however you don't step on CD if she stays or Shea. Do you keep Geno on board to work with the new HC and CD to work as her asst?Some questions that need to be answered. You have a tuff call to make if Shea isn't asked to replace Geno. JMO

Reaction Score
I believe Geno will stay to break Pats record of wins. What other records will he want well they are his. UConn looks in pretty great shape for the next 4-5 years. What will Geno do when he leaves? It will be very tuff for him to retire from what he has built and from USA WBB. IMO Jenn looks like a great replacement, however you don't step on CD if she stays or Shea. Do you keep Geno on board to work with the new HC and CD to work as her asst?Some questions that need to be answered. You have a tuff call to make if Shea isn't asked to replace Geno. JMO
Keeping Geno as advisor/emeritus is pretty much what Calhoun did with Ollie. Problem is; A head coach to be a strong HC needs to not have anyone looking over their shoulders and Kibitzing on anything (pun intended nor offense intended). Like others, I don't believe CD really wants the problems of HC and I accept that Jenn has a nice family spot at U of H. That leaves Shea or some like like Walz (young energetic), I prefer Shea. Some favor DT, but as great a player she is that does not always translate into great coaching--nor does she have Shea's experience in coaching.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I used to think that, but I got a different vibe from that story - Jen appears to be really content at Hartford working with her husband and raising her family and occasionally doing a USA basketball gig. She is still 10 years away from an empty nest and maybe not interested in what it would take to move up the chain until then. I think she recognizes the much greater time commitment involved in running a major program and the different environment involved in the WNBA jobs and at this point prefers the balance that she has achieved. At Uconn or in the WNBA I don't think she gets to work with her husband.

I agree and that vibe has been coming off of her for a long time now. Early on some speculated that she's put in a few productive years at Hartford, then move on to one or more head coaching jobs at bigger programs. That would make sense for someone with ambitions to replace Geno. It would also make sense for her to move in as guard coach at UConn, but nope. At this point Shea or Marisa or someone from the outside (like Tyler Summit - tasteless joke folks) makes more sense than Jenn.

Reaction Score
What about Berube who spent some time working for Jim Jabir when he coached at Providence?

Reaction Score
. . . shoes as next UConn HC. The recent interview in The Courant convinced me, especially as it traces her sustained close association with Geno and USA Basketball. (He is hardly grooming Doug Bruno or Dawn Staley as his successor at UConn.)

Don't even want to think about Geno's leaving, but as I'll be in my 80's by then I may not know it's happening. The upside of dementia.

Reaction Score
I think that Kibitzer's conjecture on this issue is likely to prove correct, and I think that Jenn would make an excellent replacement, so long as we all understand that the fantasy ride we've all been on cannot last forever. Becoming Geno's successor is about the most unenviable opportunity in major sports, and we must be prepared to be "disappointed" with the production of anyone so chosen. We can lament this, or just be thankful that, as fans, we got to take this ride at all. I choose the latter. Hopefully, as a result of what he's accomplished, Geno's legacy will be that the program will remain pertinent long after his departure. When he does decide to move on, and I hope that's as far down the road as possible, I also hope he won't accept any "emeritus-type" role, and I doubt he would. The chosen successor requires his or her own complete autonomy.

Reaction Score
If retirement is 5 years out and Shea's still in Storrs, it's tough not give her her shot, IMHO.
It would be tough to give the keys to the best program in the country to someone who has zero head coaching expieriance.

Reaction Score
I thought early on that Jenn's teams looked well coached , even in the Uconn blowouts. I've watched a number of their games in the past couple of years, and have not been very impressed . I wonder what people here see that I don't see. I just can't imagine her being able to step into the job at Uconn. For a long time I've thought that Bruno was one of the really oustanding coaches, but, unfortunately, he's older than Geno. But I picture someone like him being able to handle the job. No matter who takes over, there almost certainly will be a dropoff in results. How will the boneyard handle that?

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When he does decide to move on, and I hope that's as far down the road as possible, I also hope he won't accept any "emeritus-type" role,

He has said that when he decides it is time to go he will be gone - won't catch him hanging around. 'Course, we will only know when we know.

Reaction Score
It would be tough to give the keys to the best program in the country to someone who has zero head coaching expieriance.

Kevin Ollie had no head coaching experience. Geno has said multiple times that he continues to put more responsibilities with Shea. IMHO he's grooming her to be a head coach. Jen had zero head coaching experience before University of Hartford called and offered her the position.

Reaction Score

Who else but Jen? Start with Shea. Shea is not hanging around the program waiting to be an assistant under Jen.

Shea has been active in the program for years. She has a proven track record for recruiting top talent-something Jen does not have.

Being an assistant at UCONN, she must have had numerous feelers for a head coaching job.

While I love Jen-one of my all-time favorites - her Harford program in lower level D1 and record overall is mediocre. Doubt the school would risk giving Jen the job for fear of the program falling out.

Geno has given no timetable or real indication of when he will leave. But anybody has an inside track to follow Geno, it's Shea. The longer Shea stays, the more likely it is she follows Geno.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno with a like program 30 odd years ago started Uconn to the program it is today. If not Jenn who then?
Huge difference between Uconn and U of Hartford:
1. State flagship university vs. small private university.
2. Student undergrads - currently Uconn 18,395 vs, 5,350
3. Campus size - 4400 acres vs. 350 acres
4. Athletic budget - Lots vs. lots less! :)

When Geno arrived the program was small potatoes but ... it was the State school with the resources and the public support to invest in its athletic programs and, with membership in the BE, athletics exploded and would have regardless of Geno - he certainly helped a lot and specifically for the WCBB program, but that was going to happen anyway.
U of H will never greatly expand any of its athletic programs regardless of their success. The athletic budget will remain small potatoes as with almost every other small private university and their appeal to elite athletes will remain minimal regardless of who coaches them. Being stuck in the NE and specifically CT which is anything but a basketball hot bed makes recruiting even harder.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Who else but Jen? Start with Shea. Shea is not hanging around the program waiting to be an assistant under Jen.

Shea has been active in the program for years. She has a proven track record for recruiting top talent-something Jen does not have.

Being an assistant at UCONN, she must have had numerous feelers for a head coaching job.

While I love Jen-one of my all-time favorites - her Harford program in lower level D1 and record overall is mediocre. Doubt the school would risk giving Jen the job for fear of the program falling out.

Geno has given no timetable or real indication of when he will leave. But anybody has an inside track to follow Geno, it's Shea. The longer Shea stays, the more likely it is she follows Geno.

Your points are persuasive and you may be right. But you may have given insufficient recognition to the significance of Jenn's stints with USA Basketball - or that Jenn has been a Head Coach. Time will tell - but Geno won't -at least not yet.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
If retirement is 5 years out and Shea's still in Storrs, it's tough not give her her shot, IMHO.
I agree, Shea is being groomed as the eventual replacement, she's taking a much more pronounced role in all aspects of the team. She'd be a great fit and there'd be no lack of continuity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You mean like they did with Kevin Ollie on the men's side? I understand your point, though. There's something to said for continuity as well.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Rizzotti has accomplished little at Hartford, especially in the last few years. Last year she had a losing record - in a losing conference. I'm not sure that she would take the job at UConn if it were offered. She may not be willing to make the sort of commitment that it requires. She has a young family that may be of more importance.

Outside of Ralph I can't think of a UConn player with the right coaching experience. Auriemma's coaching tree hasn't set the sport on fire. I would not be surprised if UConn went outside the Husky family.

As for Berube, I remember reading an interview several years ago and she seemed to be very content at Tufts. Something like "this is exactly where I want to coach." That may have changed but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Listen, I love Jen, but have you watched her teams play? I don't want that style to be the direction that UCONN goes when Geno retires. I think Shea is probably the front runner at this point. If we go outside the family, I doubt a power 5 coach would take the UCONN job, we're in a mid major. UCONN WBB will be in a very tough spot when Geno retires. It's really depressing to think about, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom