• No Championship

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn has a lot of talent and athleticism this coming season. Once again UConn will have a different team then last season. The great freshman class has a learning curve just like ever other freshman class. There are a lot of question marks. How well and who will adjust to Genos game? Saniya Gabby Courtney and Natalie who steps up big. If Ek is knocking down treys what does that do to KLS play time and what happens if Ek isn't shooting well does KLS get more time. Who can play D? Will Saniya pick up like MoJeff did last season and take charge? At 6'5 will Natalie start? Tuck has already shown she can play inside effectively however against a team with bigs like SC Wilson and Coates can Tuck defend them without Stewie on the floor and is Natalie quick enough? I think Natalie will surprise a lot of people.

Personally I like starting Butler because she has experience and size and is proven averaging a double double. However Mojeff and Stewie graduate this season and Geno needs to have a replacement for Mojeff and Stewie. So development is critical and he has the talent. Its going to be a wait and see season. I think experience starts and the underclassman will get time as there is no team in WCBB that can handle Tuck MoJeff and Stewie.

With all the transfers, kids opting to go pro etc. MD and ND have lost critical players. I like Baylor and SC. in the top 3. IMO they are no match for UConn. UConn is going to put up a lot of points even without KML. UConn has too many options. Baylor will be very good but I don't see them defensively stopping UConn from scoring 75+ points. Another point with Mojeff and Stewie graduating the development of the underclassman is critical for UConn to maintain their dominance. There will be lack of depth in experienced height after this season. We UConn fans have been living in a Dream World the past few seasons. The teams that Geno has put on the floor aren't true reality. These teams have been off the charts good with so many number 1 HS AAs. That might change in the future. By that I mean UConn may not be winning by 25+ points a game. They will still be dominate and still be the team to beat because of their discipline on both sides of the ball.

With that said don't kid yourself. UConn is so farther advanced then any other team in WCBB and is so good kids want to play for UConn. UConn will continue to get the top players and continue to be great and everyother team is playing catchup. The question is how long will it take for them to catch up? Its going to be a long time imo. Look how long it took Geno to get to this point? So I don't see much to be concerned about over the next few seasons. This season nobody can beat UConn except UConn and I don't see Mojeff and Stewie and Tuck letting that happen.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With that said don't kid yourself. UConn is so farther advanced then any other team in WCBB and is so good kids want to play for UConn. UConn will continue to get the top players and continue to be great and everyother team is playing catchup. The question is how long will it take for them to catch up? Its going to be a long time imo. Look how long it took Geno to get to this point? So I don't see much to be concerned about over the next few seasons. This season nobody can beat UConn except UConn and I don't see Mojeff and Stewie and Tuck letting that happen

Thanks Tonyc, great post! I agree with your take 100%. Unexpected transfers have hurt some programs. Dawn Staley is quietly building a tall and very talented team. The cupboard is not bare anymore. The good players want to play for her. South Carolina is just about on par with UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Louisville Baylor and Maryland as destination schools that the elite players gravitate to. As you said, UConn is still the "gold standard" and will remain so for years to come. As others look to close that talent gap, UConn continues to recruit players that fit into their system, and keep UConn in the top tier of WCBB programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Personally I like starting Butler because she has experience and size and is proven averaging a double double. .

You've changed your mind on this? Before you thought Gabby would start.

Reaction Score
From the December 19 "Geno Auriemma Show":

Kerith Burke: How about Saniya Chong? You praised her early as a great practice player. She was starting for you. How did things change for Saniya?
Geno Auriemma: We started playing games.

Nobody can know what will happen with the new players, but it should be a fun year.:);)

Reaction Score
I love Gabby, but I seriously doubt that she will start. As of now I don't see anyone except Butler starting. A case could possibly be made for KLS or Collier, but it won't be Gabby. Against the bigger teams like USC and Texas UCONN would be at a major disadvantage.
Everything about using the new Freshmen early and often is predicated upon how they fit and perform. Usually Geno is reluctant to use Freshmen until they learn his system and play decent defense. I agree about Gabby, unless she progresses immensely over the summer her scoring dropped to zero against big time or big physically teams. As much as EVERYONE loves Gabby she has limitation right now.
I'd love to see one of the new kids hit the floor running and maybe get a starting job. KLS may get some PT if she can carry over her 3 point shooting against top caliber defenses--I'd like to see that. From what I read Collier has the best chance at early PT. Because of Uconn's AAC schedule the new kids on the block should get plenty of learning time, at least until Uconn plays a top 20 team, \
Butler came aboard with great reference from Big East coaches and Uconn coaching staff likes her game and work ethic.

Reaction Score
Changing ones mind is a human prerogative, only obstinate, fixed minded who refuse to change don't. Thinking people always change their minds. It boggles my mind when politician are beat up for changing there mind or positions they made 20 years earlier. We learn and develop that's why God gave us TIME.

Reaction Score
I agree that Collier is going to be tough to keep on the bench. KLS in high school games I have watched, played similar as her older sister at Stanford, perimeter positioning, deadly from behind the arc, not too much activity in the paint or within the team's offensive rotations. I don't see Geno using her in that manner. Nevertheless, Collier gives us that all-around threat anywhere and I see her pushing Kia for minutes. It's not my intention of beating down KLS, but to indicate that I am very impressed with Collier.
Near the end of this year Bonnie moved more and better, played more under the boards--but she always looked a little stiff to me. I think Stanford put too much emphasis on her being a Role player her first 2 or 3 years. That won't happen to KLS. If Collier or KLS bring their game across to Div 1 WBB level they could be pushing a lot of the current sophs or Jr's . Geno, stated many times, his coaching time is dedicated to the Frosh, a bit less to Sophs and Jr's, Seniors should know what they need--that's why unknowing jr's or Senior's sit more than the Frosh.

Reaction Score
Changing ones mind is a human prerogative, only obstinate, fixed minded who refuse to change don't. Thinking people always change their minds. It boggles my mind when politician are beat up for changing there mind or positions they made 20 years earlier. We learn and develop that's why God gave us TIME.

No problem. I just asked. That's all. I asked it in this manner to see if Tony would like to elaborate why he changed. OFC he doesn't have to. I change my opinion quite a bit too. I agree with your post. I wasn't even one iota "bashing him" for it. And nobody should have to feel obliged to post every time he or she changes their mind.

Reaction Score
I think Gabby is a competitor. She knows the roster and she knows what she is going to have to improve on. She is already an excellent finisher, interior passer, and rebounder. If she can develope a 15 foot jumper and improve her ball handling, she will be unguardable.

I feel that height is way over rated in the women's game, especially at the college level. 99% of the game is played 2 feet or lower below the rim. If your team wins the battle from 0-8 feet, it will win every time. I think lateral quickness, help-side and weak-side defense will overcome height on most occasions. Just ask any Texas Longhorn. What I am trying to say is that I think Geno will start his five best players that defend and rebound the way he wants, with little regard to their height.

I really love the varied opinions on this board and the generally polite nature of the disagreements. Yes, it is easy to be polite when you are winning everything, but this board was like this when you were not.
\

You are right, this is a more polite board, except for a sniper or two, in every way. Expressed here are opinions why anyone needs to defend a opinion to the death, I'll never know. But IMO Gabby has a lot of learning to do and is too small to play among the trees, she had a tough (very short) time against TX . It was 6'4 inch athletic, mobile Stewie who did Tx in--however as big at every position as they were they should have run right thru UConn. I love Gabby's side shooting using the glass, that's a lost art and her aggressive play--I think Geno does too.

Reaction Score
No problem. I just asked. That's all. I asked it in this manner to see if Tony would like to elaborate why he changed. OFC he doesn't have to. I change my opinion quite a bit too. I agree with your post. I wasn't even one iota "bashing him" for it. And nobody should have to feel obliged to post every time he or she changes their mind.

No insult intended, sorry if it came across that way. I never for one second thought you were bashing anyone. You just hit a pet peeve of mine---"why cant we change our minds". Sorry !!! I wasn't defending him either, again just a pet peeve.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Ek is knocking down treys what does that do to KLS play time and what happens if Ek isn't shooting well does KLS get more time.

I don't think anything Ekmark does will have any effect on KLS' playing time. The question is who sits because there really are only going to be minutes for 9 of the 11, imo.

Reaction Score
hoophuskee- - - Jewell Loyd answered all our questions when she took the early road out of Dodge! She knew in her heart that ND even IF she stayed had NO SHOT to beat UCONNfor the NCAA Title and she had no shot at any of the big individual awards vs Stewie so she hit the road!
If there was any chance for ND to win she would have stayed to have been a major part of that, but by leaving she will be getting on with the professional side of her BB career!
Loyd along with (Digginesque) no NC's she would probably go less than 3'rd with Stewie, Jefferson, (maybe ) Tuck, and anyone from other teams in the WNBA draft. I'm not happy she jumped, but it was her choice and I'm sure she had other reasons too.

Reaction Score
I don't think anything Ekmark does will have any effect on KLS' playing time. The question is who sits because there really are only going to be minutes for 9 of the 11, imo.

Ekmark's only extra's is that she has one year of UConn practices and training under her belt. I have great hopes for her, but I think reality is that, unless she arrives at Storrs physically fit and with a 60 percent 3 ball rate--I think she may ride the bench.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
No I not really changing my mind. I think Gabby has a good shot at starting however if I were coaching I'd start Butler. Its all gonna come down to how every body develops. Tuck Stewie Mojeff and Kia are starting. Do we need Butler to start? Maybe not. KML wasn't 6'5 last season and she started.

So what do we need? What are our needs? Someone to replace KML? Maybe One thing we need to consider is getting ready for the following year because Stewie and Mojeff graduate. So there are a lot of things to consider. Gabby puts up numbers. Butler can too. We will need height the following season so Butler may start but we also need another point guard so Saniya may start. IMO both we get plenty of playtime. The freshman need to adjust to college ball and Genos system and that means play defense.

Somethings to think about. With Stewie and Mojeff gone after this season, we need another guard and another post player. So breaking that down we have Butler who has put up good numbers and could in fact fill in Stewies position underneath. We also have Gabby Katie Lou and Collier who could move into that position as Morgan has played well underneath. So next that brings up another guard to replace MoJeff. Im not sure Geno will start Dangerfield without any experience but her could if shes that good and if one of the current roster players doesn't step up and that will depend on how Chong plays this season. Chong doesn't make many mistakes handling the ball. This is a big year for her.

I don't think it really matters who starts as I think everybody is going to get a lot of playtime because we have so many talented players and we will once again be so dominate. Yeah undefeated is not out of the question again this season. Blow outs again this season are a given. Geno needs to get the underclassman ready for the following season while focusing on another NC.

Think for a minute. What if Butler didn't transfer? We would be lacking height. We need more height and she has put up the numbers before. She will need playtime as Stewie graduates. Butlers transfer was big but we still need another big next season. Just some of my thoughts.

Reaction Score
No I not really changing my mind. I think Gabby has a good shot at starting however if I were coaching I'd start Butler. Its all gonna come down to how every body develops. Tuck Stewie Mojeff and Kia are starting. Do we need Butler to start? Maybe not. KML wasn't 6'5 last season and she started.

So what do we need? What are our needs? Someone to replace KML? Maybe One thing we need to consider is getting ready for the following year because Stewie and Mojeff graduate. So there are a lot of things to consider. Gabby puts up numbers. Butler can too. We will need height the following season so Butler may start but we also need another point guard so Saniya may start. IMO both we get plenty of playtime. The freshman need to adjust to college ball and Genos system and that means play defense.

Somethings to think about. With Stewie and Mojeff gone after this season, we need another guard and another post player. So breaking that down we have Butler who has put up good numbers and could in fact fill in Stewies position underneath. We also have Gabby Katie Lou and Collier who could move into that position as Morgan has played well underneath. So next that brings up another guard to replace MoJeff. Im not sure Geno will start Dangerfield without any experience but her could if shes that good and if one of the current roster players doesn't step up and that will depend on how Chong plays this season. Chong doesn't make many mistakes handling the ball. This is a big year for her.

I don't think it really matters who starts as I think everybody is going to get a lot of playtime because we have so many talented players and we will once again be so dominate. Yeah undefeated is not out of the question again this season. Blow outs again this season are a given. Geno needs to get the underclassman ready for the following season while focusing on another NC.

Think for a minute. What if Butler didn't transfer? We would be lacking height. We need more height and she has put up the numbers before. She will need playtime as Stewie graduates. Butlers transfer was big but we still need another big next season. Just some of my thoughts.
The one thing you can count on:: Geno will have a preliminary starting five and a STARTING five. Geno recruits for the succeeding years--some good, some bad recruits, some average--Geno dumps or seats the bad, teaches the averages, and molds the good. In any case he'll provide a team that entertains and plays excellent BB---NC's??

Reaction Score
s

In the UConn WBB teams of Sue, Swin,Asia (never could spell that name), Tamika, DT or Waters plus others,because Svet was not happy only playing 39 minutes (joke here) Christine kept a running record of the playing times of each player on the team--and during game time advised Geno--I don't know who was happy but I'm sure Geno wasn't thrilled or Christine. So if they are capable and produce when put into the games Geno/Christine will find a way to make it work.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Way, way up on the top of the page is a little debate about KLS in which one or two suggest she's just a lanky toss it up three ballers on the perimeter. Those folks are in for a surprise. Kid has great hands and she is slippery. RoseMary and Co. need to work with her, though like Stewie her essentially body type is what it is. This coming season is going to be exciting, with lots to talk about, and I suspect it ain't going to be disappointing!

Reaction Score
Way, way up on the top of the page is a little debate about KLS in which one or two suggest she's just a lanky toss it up three ballers on the perimeter. Those folks are in for a surprise. Kid has great hands and she is slippery. RoseMary and Co. need to work with her, though like Stewie her essentially body type is what it is. This coming season is going to be exciting, with lots to talk about, and I suspect it ain't going to be disappointing!
Hey Rocky - Just wondering what you have seen cause I never saw an entire game or much of any game time film on Katie Lou. I have only seen highlights and 98% are 3 point shots. How often does Lou drive to the basket or pump fake and go into the middle? Her highlights never show this. Does she move without the ball? I am low on the real info.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou. I have only seen highlights and 98% are 3 point shots. How often does Lou drive to the basket or pump fake and go into the middle? Her highlights never show this. Does she move without the ball? I am low on the real info.
Often, often, and yes. She's the total scoring package. Probably has a way to go on defense, and total team play, but you could do worse - like any other recently graduated senior.

Reaction Score
It is crazy looking at Tenn boards, they are very giddy..... a couple of people are saying they will out-talent us next year..... well, OK, but I have always said that the coaching staff is most important in WCBB, and in that department we are doing well...... How you can project how players will perform coming in from HS (again Tenn as example) is beyond me... Cooper e.g. may be the second coming, but that is like saying all the things that KLS Boykin and Collier will do.... Cant project the future

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It is crazy looking at Tenn boards, they are very giddy..... a couple of people are saying they will out-talent us next year.....

Tennessee has a lot of talent on paper, but UConn may suit up more talent than any team ever, and that ain't homerism talking. If you look at players who at some point might be elite I'd suggest the LV's will have 3-4 on their roster while UConn will have 6-7. Of course, individual talent which doesn't always coincide with team success, so we'll see.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hey Rocky - Just wondering what you have seen cause I never saw an entire game or much of any game time film on Katie Lou. I have only seen highlights and 98% are 3 point shots. How often does Lou drive to the basket or pump fake and go into the middle? Her highlights never show this. Does she move without the ball? I am low on the real info.

I don't have any archived. Last year saw 2 pretty healthy cuts of Mater Dei games, but most was USA foreign competition. Her May 2014 evaluation on ESPN:
" Superb size and agility on perimeter with a confident scorer's mentality; versatile, handles and attacks, passes in transition; breaks down defender off the dribble, finishes in traffic; consistent mid-range game creator with range beyond the arc; leadership qualities complemented by production on both ends of the floor; the elite prospect in the 2015 class. (Olson)"
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/140689/katie-lou-samuelson

Reaction Score
I don't have any archived. Last year saw 2 pretty healthy cuts of Mater Dei games, but most was USA foreign competition. Her May 2014 evaluation on ESPN:
" Superb size and agility on perimeter with a confident scorer's mentality; versatile, handles and attacks, passes in transition; breaks down defender off the dribble, finishes in traffic; consistent mid-range game creator with range beyond the arc; leadership qualities complemented by production on both ends of the floor; the elite prospect in the 2015 class. (Olson)"
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/140689/katie-lou-samuelson
Thanks Rock. If the ESPN 2014 evaluation has any validity--UConn is very fortunate. Lou's shooting--from anywhere, anytime-- is heading toward the Curry territory (based on the highlights.) It looks like KLS at times, is off-balance (and still hits) has people hanging on her (and swishes it) and is attempting to shake and bake (and makes it again.) I was just concerned about the movement and driving and you cleared that up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom