• 2+ loss Champions

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • No Championship

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No idea. Hard for me to believe KLS will start given her defensive issues coming in, and I think Geno really likes Williams' energy off the bench. Right now I'm guessing Butler and then Collier as the two most likely. Whoever it is won't be getting starter's minutes barring injuries.

The year of development may turn out to be a big factor. That said, you have to remember that her numbers were put up in 36 minutes a game. I expect her to get about half that next year due to the plethora of talented players on the roster. I still have memories of so many who thought Stokes would average a double-double this year with heavy minutes, and neither happened.
But Slu, Why would anyone think Stokes would average a double-double when she had a three year history of no offense. She also admitted her role was rebounds and blocks. Moreover, she never had the desire or yearning to score when she was on the court. You are So right that Butler played 36 minutes, but with Georgetown players and suspect coaching. We don't have to speculate on her scoring ability--she has done it. She also had many games of big number rebounds that were eye opening. If Butler only gets 17 minutes a game then UConn will be very dominating because Geno will have confidence in one or two others who are producing. This year in crunch time--Stokes was the only player getting significant minutes off the bench.
Freshman will be freshman--I am really looking forward to what Butler will do next year.

Reaction Score
Let me bring up a couple of points. How will any team defend UConn and slow them down and can those teams outscore UConn? No. UConn has the NPOY Tuck and Mojeff 1st team AAs. Gabby can score,defend,run the floor, play defense and rebound. Now lets get to the freshman. The top players in their class. Katie Lou fantastic shooter and in this line up will get some good looks at 6'3. Collier although not a 3 pt shooter is a scorer, and a lock down defender. Butler has proven what she can do.

There are alot of talented teams in WCBB in the up coming season. Baylor USF Tenn SC and Florida St. They have the talent but not the team. We saw what happened the past couple of seasons with talented teams when they faced UConn. This years version of UConn is better then last seasons NC squad. Yeah UConn brings back alot of players too.

It still remains to be seen if a team can come within double digits of UConn.

Another point that Ive been thinking about. Texas Baylor and TAM all have alot of bigs. IMO no room for Holmes or Cox. Maybe thats why Geno is pursuing them so hard. Hey theres only 1 number 1. UConn is in position to win 5-6 more NCs and no other team can claim that without mentioning "IF". Uconn doesnt have any "IF's"
Tonyc - Great post--best line that sums it up quickly and emphatically- "there are many teams with talent, but not the team (concept)." Baylor, Tennessee, SC, and a few others (Ohio State) have high level talent-- but the team concept is lacking. I think most on BY can agree that a vital element of a NC is teamwork. IMHO that is why ND hangs tuff every year. Reimer improved, but was not great. Mabrey was one dimensional, but knew her role. Cable was a hustle player, but not nearly as skilled. The played good team ball.
Dayton and Iowa were perfect examples of TEAMs. Some talent, but they fit together nicely. UConn, as of now, is the only school that has the talent and the team concept working seamlessly.

Reaction Score
Wow. I would be very surprised if Baylor, Tennessee, or Maryland made it the NCAA tournament undefeated.

Baylor probably has the best chance because their OOC schedule is the weakest next year (they pick up their OCC difficulty starting 2016-2017), but they still have to play at Texas and at Oklahoma.

Maryland has Notre Dame at home, James Madison on the road, and in the Big Ten, a dangerous Ohio State team on the road in Columbus. Don’t see them beating ND to be honest.

Tennessee has a very tough SEC schedule, has to play South Carolina (albeit at home), and has Oregon State in Corvallis, Rutgers at home, and presumably Texas, (home), Stanford (road), and Notre Dame (road) (unless they rotate out of those three series starting in 2015-2016). Tennessee will be an improved team next year, but if they start conference play undefeated, I would be shocked. And if they do, beating Oregon State, Texas, Stanford, and Notre Dame en route, they might even have an argument for being ranked #1 (though a three-time defending NC, undefeated UConn should be safe at #1), and the SEC should watch out.

nd2tty-I agree that Baylor has the best chance to go undefeated. If they did UConn shouldn't be too worried. If Maryland goes undefeated (James Madison doesn't concern me), UConn should be a little worried. If Tennessee goes undefeated, then they have gelled into a formidable team and UConn should be concerned and ready for a heck of a game if they meet in the FF.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sluconn, the difference is Butler DID it her freshman year. Your analogy would better fit the projection of Chong's growth.

In 36 minutes per game on a below-average team. These will be different situations for her. Not saying she isn't or won't be good, but I doubt her minutes or stats are really going to reflect it right away.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But Slu, Why would anyone think Stokes would average a double-double when she had a three year history of no offense.

I think they figured she had the talent and as a senior and with the C spot open she'd play 30 minutes and score more. You have to remember that Butler was likely the #2 option at Georgetown. She won't be the #2 option at UConn no matter who is on the floor with her.

It's quite possible Butler will be a real factor given 17 minutes. I just don't expect her to get more than that. And to me that's fine. Stokes was barely used towards the end of this season and UConn did okay. If Butler develops into an impact player over the next couples years it'll be a bonus. I think it's more likely she'll be a nice cog this upcoming year rather than an impact player, but we'll see.

Reaction Score
In 36 minutes per game on a below-average team. These will be different situations for her. Not saying she isn't or won't be good, but I doubt her minutes or stats are really going to reflect it right away.
You keep changing your rationale to justify your point about Butler. You mentioned all the people who projected Stokes offensive growth and minutes after 3 years of mediocre output and minutes as a warning they are repeating that same mistake projecting Butler's performance. Now it is the mediocre Big East competition and major minutes that allowed Butler to excel. It seems like a lot of heavy lifting on your part!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You keep changing your rationale to justify your point about Butler. You mentioned all the people who projected Stokes offensive growth and minutes after 3 years of mediocre output and minutes as a warning they are repeating that same mistake projecting Butler's performance. Now it is the mediocre Big East competition and major minutes that allowed Butler to excel. It seems like a lot of heavy lifting on your part!

Haven't changed anything. I said people were projecting Stokes to take off her senior year with added minutes. That's one point. A second is that Butler will never see close to 36 minutes/gm no matter how long she's at UConn. Stewart only gets 27 a game.

And yes, you can find players who have nice stats playing lots of minutes against poor competition. They may be good, they may not be. I would suggest Stokes may have averaged 8-10 points and 10-12 boards if she played 36 minutes at Georgetown. Course, Stokes was a good player, but she also didn't put up those numbers at UConn.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
After Stewie leaves - Notre Dame becomes a team to watch out a lot for. It depends on Turner, though early indications is that she'll be beast. In a fantasy matchup possible she is possibly (don't shoot me. I emphasize the word possibly) too-- a combination of tall/long for Tuck (if she comes back which she may very well do) and Collier. Too quick vs Butler.

Boykin would have possibly legit size and athleticism but right now I'm not sure how many minutes she is going to see her 1sttwo years-- especially if Morgan stays.

Potentially ND would have the best player on the court in Turner - In her junior year and possibly the best guard on the court not to mention she's a pg - in which UCONN would be working on either Chong or Nurse - and the frosh Dangerfield. The 1st are unknown pg's and to rely on a frosh pg help running your offense - leading your team to title vs a senior terrific pg -- it's a big question for that specific year.
HH- I was just going to RSVP to Bill in Georgia also- when we lose Stewie & Messiah, that is going to be an enormous loss!!! Much more difficult to replace two legitimate game changing superstars. Both could be #1 picks. That will be much more difficult to overcome compared to last year and this year!

Reaction Score
Haven't changed anything. I said people were projecting Stokes to take off her senior year with added minutes. That's one point. A second is that Butler will never see close to 36 minutes/gm no matter how long she's at UConn. Stewart only gets 27 a game.

And yes, you can find players who have nice stats playing lots of minutes against poor competition. They may be good, they may not be. I would suggest Stokes may have averaged 8-10 points and 10-12 boards if she played 36 minutes at Georgetown. Course, Stokes was a good player, but she also didn't put up those numbers at UConn.
I dare say the Big East was better competition than the AAC! If the Big East was poor competition what is the word for the AAC?

Reaction Score
I think they figured she had the talent and as a senior and with the C spot open she'd play 30 minutes and score more. You have to remember that Butler was likely the #2 option at Georgetown. She won't be the #2 option at UConn no matter who is on the floor with her.

It's quite possible Butler will be a real factor given 17 minutes. I just don't expect her to get more than that. And to me that's fine. Stokes was barely used towards the end of this season and UConn did okay. If Butler develops into an impact player over the next couples years it'll be a bonus. I think it's more likely she'll be a nice cog this upcoming year rather than an impact player, but we'll see.

OK BY posters--Slu has set the bar at 17 minutes for Butler. I am taking the OVER. Next, I have to admit I never saw Butler play. Slu said she was probably the #2 option. Since Butler had so many rebounds I would venture she had lots of put-backs. If someone has seen her play please fill us in. How many assists did the guards have on Georgetown? I appreciate any help to bring me up to snuff.

Reaction Score
Georgetown 2013-2014

mpg ppg assists pg rebs pg fg%
C) Butler 36.2 13.8 1.9 13.3 48.8
G) McCormick 27.1 8.5 1.8 2.4 32.8
http://www.wbbstate.com/img/spacer.gif
http://www.wbbstate.com/img/spacer.gif
F) White 32.4 15.4 2.2 9.0 49.2
G) Powell 30.2 5.7 3.2 3.6 38.3
F) Woodward 31.7 10.2 2.5 4.3 37.8

I am taking the over for Butler also but not by much. Maybe 20 mpg. I have to think the Williams will get more pt and NC, DB and KLS have to play also.
Stokes played 17.9 mpg and KML 29.3.
47 minutes to be divided among Butler, NC, KLS and Boykin. And that's with the minutes staying the same for the starters and subs Williams, Chong and Ekmark.

Reaction Score
Georgetown 2013-2014

mpg ppg assists pg rebs pg fg%
C) Butler 36.2 13.8 1.9 13.3 48.8
G) McCormick 27.1 8.5 1.8 2.4 32.8
http://www.wbbstate.com/img/spacer.
http://www.wbbstate.com/img/spacer.

F) White 32.4 15.4 2.2 9.0 49.2
G) Powell 30.2 5.7 3.2 3.6 38.3
F) Woodward 31.7 10.2 2.5 4.3 37.8

I am taking the over for Butler also but not by much. Maybe 20 mpg. I have to think the Williams will get more pt and NC, DB and KLS have to play also.
Stokes played 17.9 mpg and KML 29.3.
47 minutes to be divided among Butler, NC, KLS and Boykin. And that's with the minutes staying the same for the starters and subs Williams, Chong and Ekmark.
Thank you Mr. Sleep --Guards only had 5 assists - 12 total. Sounds like a lot of individual work and Butler did not get much help

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
OK BY posters--Slu has set the bar at 17 minutes for Butler. I am taking the OVER. Next, I have to admit I never saw Butler play. Slu said she was probably the #2 option. Since Butler had so many rebounds I would venture she had lots of put-backs. If someone has seen her play please fill us in. How many assists did the guards have on Georgetown? I appreciate any help to bring me up to snuff.

Put me down for the OVER, too.

Reaction Score
HH- I was just going to RSVP to Bill in Georgia also- when we lose Stewie & Messiah, that is going to be an enormous loss!!! Much more difficult to replace two legitimate game changing superstars. Both could be #1 picks. That will be much more difficult to overcome compared to last year and this year!

I agree though I can't see anyone but Stewie being the number 1 pick though sure MoJeff can get NPOY. These two players are beasts.

One thing of many I'm looking forward to this year is if KLS can play the 2-guard. Which means she would play with say Collier -- while having any other 2 players of these in the lineup:
Stewie Tuck, Butler, Gabbie and Boykin.

There are so many lineups I can't wait to see this year -- watching maybe a Gabby, Collier and KLS lineup.

Or a Butler, Stewie, KLS, Ekmark, MoJeff lineup. Potentially 4 fabulous outside shooters and one real big post. -- Just sayin would be fun to watch-- so many variations.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

This is what we call a minutes dilemma.

Reaction Score

Good morning Slu - IMHO 17 minutes of playing time is a darn good estimate. Here is why I think Butler will get in the low 20 minutes and she will have quite a few double-doubles. First, the premise is Butler will start (Gabby, Collier, Lou, Chong will be competing hard for that starting spot, but Butler fills the bill.) Next, Geno has a basic goal of "all 5 starters scoring in double figures." That should be fulfilled. Cut Butlers Gtown minutes in half and she has 7 points. The 4 starters from last year all had 100+ assists--bingo- 3 more points for Butler's double figures. Also, Geno likes to create a smooth flowing, syncronized, comfortable feel for the 5 starters and plays them together for 20+ minutes a game. As we know, even in blow-outs, the starters play most of the first half and always start the 2nd half. They play together until Geno clearly sees the level he demands---even if they are up by 40! Finally, Butler was a rebounding machine at Gtown. Cut her 36 minutes in half and you still have 7 rebounds. A few more minutes and she has her double-double. Of course, we don't know what will happen, but it has been done, it has been shown, and Geno & CD had one year to create the Butler they envision for this season. I can't wait.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think right now Gabby Williams starts. Her ability to score and rebound and her quickness will be to much for opponents to handle. Can you imagine MoJeff and Gabby on the floor together? Next season we have the same lineup with Gabby unless somebody else improves greatly. Gabbys ability to score a lot of point in a short time is huge for this team. Play MoJeff and Gabby at the same time and defenses will have a problem guarding them and offenses will have a problem with their quickness

Reaction Score
I think right now Gabby Williams starts. Her ability to score and rebound and her quickness will be to much for opponents to handle. Can you imagine MoJeff and Gabby on the floor together? Next season we have the same lineup with Gabby unless somebody else improves greatly. Gabbys ability to score a lot of point in a short time is huge for this team. Play MoJeff and Gabby at the same time and defenses will have a problem guarding them and offenses will have a problem with their quickness

Gabby starting was my initial thought also. I just think the bench is more balanced with Butler there. The more I think about how much time Butler gets the closer I get to Slu's estimate. Stokes played just a touch under 18 minutes per game. Will a sophomore Butler be a more effective player than the senior Stokes ? It's possible but I think it will all depend on how the offense flows with her in the game. I'm really anxious to see Butler play.
Principally because, despite playing a year of division 1 ball and another year of participating in UConn practices, she is almost a complete unknown to me. I've watched exponentially more game video of KLS and Collier than I have of Butler. She could wind up playing 27 minutes a game or 14 minutes a game. I really don't have a good feel on how much playing time she'll get this year.

Reaction Score
I love Gabby, but I seriously doubt that she will start. As of now I don't see anyone except Butler starting. A case could possibly be made for KLS or Collier, but it won't be Gabby. Against the bigger teams like USC and Texas UCONN would be at a major disadvantage.

Reaction Score
I love Gabby, but I seriously doubt that she will start. As of now I don't see anyone except Butler starting. A case could possibly be made for KLS or Collier, but it won't be Gabby. Against the bigger teams like USC and Texas UCONN would be at a major disadvantage.

Though I don't think it would be a major disadvantage - but I agree. I can't see Gabby starting. I think it's Butler too. I can see Collier or KLS starting but they would have to be sensational in practice. IMO It's Butler's to lose.

Reaction Score

Last year UConn started Stewie, Tuck and KML in the game against USCe. Stokes played 11 minutes in that game. Gabby certainly wouldn't put UConn at any more of a "major disadvantage" than KML did.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I agree though I can't see anyone but Stewie being the number 1 pick though sure MoJeff can get NPOY. These two players are beasts.

One thing of many I'm looking forward to this year is if KLS can play the 2-guard. Which means she would play with say Collier -- while having any other 2 players of these in the lineup:
Stewie Tuck, Butler, Gabbie and Boykin.

There are so many lineups I can't wait to see this year -- watching maybe a Gabby, Collier and KLS lineup.

Or a Butler, Stewie, KLS, Ekmark, MoJeff lineup. Potentially 4 fabulous outside shooters and one real big post. -- Just sayin would be fun to watch-- so many variations.
I agree. Each year, even losing 1-2 key players, how different the team will be. This year we seam to have more options than we've had in a long time! :)

Reaction Score
Last year UConn started Stewie, Tuck and KML in the game against USCe. Stokes played 11 minutes in that game. Gabby certainly wouldn't put UConn at any more of a "major disadvantage" than KML did.

I agree in a way but last year Gabby didn't play that well when it counted vs the real big elite teams. We got hammered vs ND on the glass in our last game -- if Gabby would have helped I'm sure Geno would have put her in.

I think the move will be to put someone like Gabby in off the bench - in which she can provide a great spark with the multitude of things she can do. I expect Butler to be solid but not "change the game" type. I think Geno will want to increase pace - change the game - with speed from his bench rather than size.

I think he'll change the game with pace when he bring is in Gabby, Collier and KLS for Butler, Tuck, and Nurse.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This will be a development year for UConns freshman and soph classes. I expect this to be Saniya's breakout year. I also expect to see Gabby start. Her quickness sets her apart from everybody else who is a non starter. Gabby can score and defend and her quickness on both sides of the ball especially on defense is the key. Against taller teams Butler will see a lot more playtime.

The amount of playtime non starters see this season will depend on a few things. Against taller teams I expect Butler to see more minutes and against most teams I expect Gabby to see more minutes and that will change depending on the talent we face and their ability to score on Gabby and Natalie. Once again I expect embarrassing blowouts with no team coming within double digits of UConn. It will be tuff to get within 20 pts of UConn as Geno continues to Beat His Best season after season. This season will be no different. As many teams bring back 3-5 starters so does UConn however UConn brings back 3 1st team AA's and no other team does that.

Our underclassman will go through their mental tuffness test when they arrive at UConn. Expectations are high as they should be. This is one of the most talented classes UConn has had and it only will get better as the season continues. The talent level of this team is off the charts. Our current roster and incoming class is unbelievably talented. The future is very bright for UConn. Our nucleus is still there so to bring players in and out of the lineup as they learn to play together as a unit is in tact. The team chemistry will be caught not taught because of the nucleaus of players returning. We will not be dependent on any one player with the talent we have. We have 3 go to players which makes it tuff for opposing defenses. This is a great place to be if your coming to UConn or an underclassman on the roster. Playing and learning from the best cant be taught it must be experienced. These underclassman are in the perfect place, a place where all top players should want to be because they will only get better.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Tonyc, post: 1315940, member: 73 I also expect to see Gabby start. Her quickness sets her apart from everybody else who is a non starter. Gabby can score and defend and her quickness on both sides of the ball especially on defense is the key. Against taller teams Butler will see a lot more playtime.

[/QUOTE]

I just don't see her starting. I think her quickness and speed yet without the shooting skill is the reason why you'll see her come in off the bench. While Gabby can play against the smaller teams - I think she naturally struggles against the very big elite teams. Until she can counter that with her shooting and setting up of players- I just don't see it- the starting this year. VS any team Butler can start and have an impact. That is where I think you'll want a player that can fit vs nearly any team rather than a player that is explosive but has struggled to match up against the elite teams.

Plus I love the possibility of Gabby with KLS meshing unbelievably well. They would be dynamic off the bench - potentially an awesome duo. Gabby guards the quicker of the 2 if the quicker is more of a threat. On the other side Gabby could work 15 feet and in while KLS would naturally spread the floor for Gabby which only enhances Gabby. And potentially KLS can benefit from a slashing Gabby plus one in transition that has guard skills that can find KLS for spot up 3's like KML used to do.

So many possibilities. Plus I'm a big fan of "shooting." I'm looking forward to seeing what Ekmark can do with a year under her belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom