• 2+ loss Champions

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • No Championship

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Check out UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread post #759 for a nice KLS training video. You'll get a good idea of her overall skills.

Reaction Score
Way, way up on the top of the page is a little debate about KLS in which one or two suggest she's just a lanky toss it up three ballers on the perimeter. Those folks are in for a surprise. Kid has great hands and she is slippery. RoseMary and Co. need to work with her, though like Stewie her essentially body type is what it is. This coming season is going to be exciting, with lots to talk about, and I suspect it ain't going to be disappointing!

Even though you are ROCKY MT blue---you are right
KLS is not Bonnie or Karlie---they played for a stagnant system--go stand in the corner and take the 3. KLS is going to play for Geno who wants his players to be mobile and to take what the defense will allow. Then too DEFENSE is what Geno loves. So all those that has Katie Lou locked in to a box---think again. Who in Uconn recent history was a one dimensional player? Certainly not KML.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Even though you are ROCKY MT blue---you are right
KLS is not Bonnie or Karlie---they played for a stagnant system--go stand in the corner and take the 3. KLS is going to play for Geno who wants his players to be mobile and to take what the defense will allow. Then too DEFENSE is what Geno loves. So all those that has Katie Lou locked in to a box---think again. Who in Uconn recent history was a one dimensional player? Certainly not KML.

Exactly.

Reaction Score
Sc will not be a problem for the huskies next year.
Can't see how they can improve so dramatically without having all new players.
Not in the same league.
Any scares next year will because the UConn team gets lazy or unfocused. AND Geno's pretty good (amazing) at avoiding lazy or unfocused play.
The problem will come as the team wades through the conference play again next year. I know it was as hard to play some of those teams as it was to watch. Will not be so avidly following UConn next year. Don't think they need me during conference play.

Reaction Score
Sc will not be a problem for the huskies next year.
Can't see how they can improve so dramatically without having all new players.
Not in the same league.
Any scares next year will because the UConn team gets lazy or unfocused. AND Geno's pretty good (amazing) at avoiding lazy or unfocused play.
The problem will come as the team wades through the conference play again next year. I know it was as hard to play some of those teams as it was to watch. Will not be so avidly following UConn next year. Don't think they need me during conference play.
watanabe - You made some interesting observations on your post. Many people can agree with the top part, but SC is still dangerous IMO. The last part of your post about the conference play depends on ones perspective. MJL243, ericsandiego and me included look at conference play as a journey for the team and the new players. I enjoy seeing the skill improvement in the team and each player. And like Geno, the score is not the most important part of the game. It is the beauty of a perfect play, a perfect pass, the movement without the ball, the hustle (even when ahead by 40 pts), the pretty bank shot that Gabby uses, the quick head fake Tuck used before she drove to the basket, Mo exciting speed (she has gotten faster cause she sees the floor better and she sees the play unfolding--offensively and defensively), scoring 20 points in 5 minutes is a work of art, the seamless ebb and flow of the offense --watching UConn probe the defense and reading every adjustment with a counter move. I love that stuff. I have seen teams win and it was ugly and not the satisfying close, hard fought games. I have seen teams lose, but played courageously and played over their heads (like Dayton.) That was a great game.
Mr. watanabe - I think you will be missing some artistic individual and team play if you turn off the TV just because UConn is ahead by 20 or more. If so, You will save a lot of electricity this year in about 35 games. Someone once said, "Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change." Just my humble opinion.

Reaction Score
watanabe - You made some interesting observations on your post. Many people can agree with the top part, but SC is still dangerous IMO. The last part of your post about the conference play depends on ones perspective. MJL243, ericsandiego and me included look at conference play as a journey for the team and the new players. I enjoy seeing the skill improvement in the team and each player. And like Geno, the score is not the most important part of the game. It is the beauty of a perfect play, a perfect pass, the movement without the ball, the hustle (even when ahead by 40 pts), the pretty bank shot that Gabby uses, the quick head fake Tuck used before she drove to the basket, Mo exciting speed (she has gotten faster cause she sees the floor better and she sees the play unfolding--offensively and defensively), scoring 20 points in 5 minutes is a work of art, the seamless ebb and flow of the offense --watching UConn probe the defense and reading every adjustment with a counter move. I love that stuff. I have seen teams win and it was ugly and not the satisfying close, hard fought games. I have seen teams lose, but played courageously and played over their heads (like Dayton.) That was a great game.
Mr. watanabe - I think you will be missing some artistic individual and team play if you turn off the TV just because UConn is ahead by 20 or more. If so, You will save a lot of electricity this year in about 35 games. Someone once said, "Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change." Just my humble opinion.
I too just love the use of the board by Gabby Geno still teaches it, but it's still rare to find. For side shots it's imperative to use effectively, also it compensates for a shot that could have gone long. Geno love players, after being taught, that read the Defense and take what is offered---I guess I just agree with you. When Uconn is up by 30 that's my fun watching time--I get to see which new player does what and which will be important next year. I agree again.. When a view gets bored by a Uconn game it speak more of the viewer than the game. Right now I just watched a video of UConn/UCLA last fall--a blow out. Gabby, Chong, Nurse, Stewie sitting

Reaction Score

Love this!! Love this!!!

A while back a poster spoke of they didn't like watching the women blow out so many teams and spoke of her and husband enjoyed Kentucky vs - some other team - the game went into OVT which KY eventually won.

1-- Both teams shot miserably.
2-- Both teams passed miserably.
3-- It was a low scoring game even for overtime.

The only thing it was - was close. -- This wasn't the classic GTOWN vs Louisville back in the early 80's.

No thanks watching the ugly OVT game. No thanks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
hoophuskee, you have to be more specific.
This description could be from any game featuring two teams from the SEC not just Kentucky. Then they will try and convince you both teams were playing exceptional defense when the reality is these kids can't shoot or pass-someone has to rebound all those bricks.

Reaction Score
Love this!! Love this!!!

A while back a poster spoke of they didn't like watching the women blow out so many teams and spoke of her and husband enjoyed Kentucky vs - some other team - the game went into OVT which KY eventually won.

The only thing it was - was close. -- This wasn't the classic GTOWN vs Louisville back in the early 80's.

If you (the general case of you) are not a fan of either team and they are as bad as you say--if watched tV, turn it off. If at the game, leave.
If you are a fan of either team, it may feel miserable, but there are points to look for: How particular player do certain things. What the coach was miserable at accomplishing, (Maybe a class action to have the coach leave). Nice pleasing things .(joke)]
I've watch, on TV, many Kentucky WBB games. Kentuck hits you hard and fast--when they are hitting they are fast scoring--they've had a couple or more of pretty good scorers--it's hard to believe they shot "miserably"--but teams get cold.
I've watch, in person, UALR 20 upteen years ago (Women) they were terrible, the coach had no clue, but some of the player could actually play--and you could see that with the right coach they'd do well. It took 20 something years but UALR was in the NCAA this spring.
I watched Navy Women at the Academy--they were exactly as you would expect Naval officers to be--not pro's but disciplined.
Uconn WBB is my team--I find great things to see during blow outs--yes I LOVE THEM!!!

Reaction Score
)]
I've watch, on TV, many Kentucky WBB games. Kentuck hits you hard and fast--when they are hitting they are fast scoring--they've had a couple or more of pretty good scorers--it's hard to believe they shot "miserably"--but teams get cold.
I've watch, in person, UALR 20 upteen years ago (Women) they were terrible, the coach had no clue, but some of the player could actually play--and you could see that with the right coach they'd do well. It took 20 something years but UALR was in the NCAA this spring.
I watched Navy Women at the Academy--they were exactly as you would expect Naval officers to be--not pro's but disciplined.
Uconn WBB is my team--I find

You're right-liked your post - ty. But would like to add one thing- yes KY DID shoot miserably in this game the poster said was exciting.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/uk0110.html

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I really don't think it's fair for 38-42 something women to be playing against 18-22 year olds.

Reaction Score
watanabe - You made some interesting observations on your post. Someone once said, "Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change." Just my humble opinion.

Good response. I agree.
Last year tho, I watched all the games, but found I was following a disturbing pattern. I'd record the games, watch them on a ten minute delay, fast forwarding through the terrible commercials, fast forwarding through the time outs, fast forwarding through the half time show with the play action footage, fast forwarding through the commentary. Soon I was fast forwarding through the game stopping every 5 minutes of play and getting updated on the flow of the game.
then in the fun games, the UConn players did not have the same flow that they have in the easy games. It was a challenge. It was fun to watch. I'm not saying it's anyone or anything that has changed the game for me, but it's simply not that interesting to watch the AAC season (I would wonder why I was sitting in front of the tv wasting my time instead of cutting the grass or something). The Team simply did not need my support.

Reaction Score
hoophuskee, you have to be more specific.
This description could be from any game featuring two teams from the SEC not just Kentucky. Then they will try and convince you both teams were playing exceptional defense when the reality is these kids can't shoot or pass-someone has to rebound all those bricks.

40 minutes of dread indeed.

Reaction Score
Good response. I agree.
Last year tho, I watched all the games, but found I was following a disturbing pattern. I'd record the games, watch them on a ten minute delay, fast forwarding through the terrible commercials, fast forwarding through the time outs, fast forwarding through the half time show with the play action footage, fast forwarding through the commentary. Soon I was fast forwarding through the game stopping every 5 minutes of play and getting updated on the flow of the game.
then in the fun games, the UConn players did not have the same flow that they have in the easy games. It was a challenge. It was fun to watch. I'm not saying it's anyone or anything that has changed the game for me, but it's simply not that interesting to watch the AAC season (I would wonder why I was sitting in front of the tv wasting my time instead of cutting the grass or something). The Team simply did not need my support.
I hear ya. Two different types of games. I like both kinds. Probably with UConn involved--I am a gym rat.

Reaction Score
Its very simple. UConn will be unbeatable. They can beat themselves and lose but no team can beat them straight up.
They beat themselves this past year at Stanford!Unbeaten,closest game South Florida!

Reaction Score
It is crazy looking at Tenn boards, they are very giddy..... a couple of people are saying they will out-talent us next year..... well, OK, but I have always said that the coaching staff is most important in WCBB, and in that department we are doing well. How you can project how players will perform coming in from HS (again Tenn as example) is beyond me... Cooper e.g. may be the second coming, but that is like saying all the things that KLS Boykin and Collier will do.... Cant project the future

To be honest, as a Tenn fan, I don't get it. Sure, this is the best we've looked since 2008, but out-talenting UConn is bold and a little laughable.

Looking at our roster we certainly have strengths:
Carter and Reynolds are great defensive guards with athleticism and plenty of experience.
Cooper is an elite guard with a lot of confidence and a unique gift for getting to the rim and making passes deep into her drive. Also has excellent ball handling skills.
Middleton has tons of potential, winning McD's 3 pt contest and skills comp. She just needs longer to adjust to the college game because she isn't quite as athletic. She also needs confidence.
Meme Jackson is kind of an unknown, other than that she is lengthy, athletic, and a great defender. She does have 3pt capability as well with a decent percentage.
DeShields can play 2-4 and is certainly elite.
Nared and Jones are extremely athletic 6'2 forwards with great rebounding tenacity and defensive capability, can play the 3&4. Additionally, Jones was coming on extremely strong offensively at the beginning of last season before her concussion.
Dunbar should be able to defend the 4 as she continues to develop and play a Sidney Spencer type role, spreading the floor.
Bashaara is doing her thing. She has greatly improved her mobility and face-up game. That showed at the end of the season and she has become much more effective getting to the rim. She is without a doubt our most experienced player and will carry us at the 4.
Mercedes is the question. If Holly's praise and the limited highlights from the trials are an indication of where she's at, then she's much quicker with the ball and getting up and down the court. She's got a great shot and surprisingly decent handles (What drew Parker comparisons in High School). If she's gotten stronger and developed her low post game anywhere near the way Izzy developed from freshman to sophomore, she may put up the best numbers on the team.
Nia Moore will get chances and minutes, but she is rail thin and gets knocked around in the post like a piece of paper. She does have nice touch around the rim

Additionally, Holly's coaching is much better now than Year 1. The team has truly bought into defensive discipline and playing team ball, meaning we can work on offense more. I read somewhere that Holly said she is going to make significant adjustments this year and make an effort to teach the game better, which is encouraging.

All that said, we have some glaring weaknesses: Offensive flow wasn't good last year for large spurts. 3 pt shooting was tepid at best. Bad 3pt %'s from Reynolds, Middleton, and Nared in particular. We have no depth at center past Mercedes and will playing a lot of lineups with just 2-3 forwards. And the biggest weaknes is what we lose from our seniors. Say what you want about Ariel Massengale, but she was tremendous. She had been leading that team since her freshman year and that, along with her shooting and passing ability will be missed greatly(One of only 3 UT players with 1000 points and 500 assists. Top 3 in total assists. Top 10 in 3 pt field goals made). Cierra was perhaps the best leader I've ever seen in an athlete. Brought tremendous tenacity and heart, rebounded at a high level, and her midrange was a constant pressure release, go-to weapon in the offense. Izzy has been leading the post players since her sophomore year and was far more vocal than Bash. It's going to be hard for Mercedes to come in and pick up what Izzy brought us on the court.

We are talented. We are experienced. We are confident. We should win the SEC and contend for the title or it's a disappointment. But no, we are not more talented than UConn, who has a balanced roster of elite players at ever position, the majority of whom know the feeling of winning a national title. Not to say, I don't think we can't compete with UConn though.... Game on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Katie Lou may end up being better than Stewart. She seems to be much more mobile, but still creates the mismatch with her size. Her shot also looks a lot more refined and she can create for herself. If she develops more toughness around the rim, she'll be unstoppable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Katie Lou may end up being better than Stewart. She seems to be much more mobile, but still creates the mismatch with her size. Her shot also looks a lot more refined and she can create for herself. If she develops more toughness around the rim, she'll be unstoppable.
Careful! Let's not damn KLS with fain praise here. The difference between her and Stewie in built into the DNA -specifically the amount of fast twitch muscles. Stewie athleticism is elite and this is what allows her to out jump, out quick and outrun 99.9% of the girls she is playing against. Even if Stewie were below average shooter she could dominate a basketball game with just athleticism. KLS appears to be an elite shooter and a willing superstar -that will probably be enough to make her a darn good player but Stewie is a one in every decade ( if you are lucky) type of athlete.

Reaction Score
To be honest, as a Tenn fan, I don't get it. Sure, this is the best we've looked since 2008, but out-talenting UConn is bold and a little laughable.

VolFan, yes, good commentary..... and I expect every team's fanbase to be this hyped..... and on your comments on Mercedes...... wow is she going to face some pressure this year..... more so than usual because of the depth at that position..... I only hope her feet can take the banging they will face.... I said that I root for 2 things Tennessee.... and that is the success of Jannah Tucker and Mercedes Russell for all they have been through...... Now Jannah is a Villanova Wildcat, so that leaves Mercedes..... Good luck to her....

And I hope Holly and her staff pick up traction...... your team is far too talented to not be coached up to an acceptable degree..... perhaps this will be the year the staff will put their collective stamp on the program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom