How does all the blame fall on the coaches? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How does all the blame fall on the coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO that applies to the playcalling duties, not Chad. Geez, you don't have to fire GDL. Just announce you're going to do something different. The big news at Auburn is their first-year OC moved from the field to the booth for games.
I don't disagree with you on changing the offensive coordinator. Or at least the responsibilities for calling the plays. But kicking is the one part of football that is the least dependent on what other guys do. yeah, the hold and the snap are part of the equation, but nobody is saying those were bad. Apparently the block was due to a low kick, The other 3 were wide. Kicking field goals is sort of like free throws in the sense that you can't blame anyone but yourself if you miss...ask Donyell Marshall

Reaction Score
Re offensive line/pass protection: IMO the "scheme" and philosophy bear a lot of responsibility for the sacks. Chandler rarely deviates from the 5-7 step straight drop, so opposing DC's have a pretty good idea where he's going when he steps back and can plan accordingly. In the process of that planning, they can pretty easily figure out where to send the extra blitzer. Most of the sacks at W. Mich. came because we didn't have enough guys in protection. We ran empty backfield a lot Saturday so without looking at video (and I don't have the stomach for it) I'll bet at least half the sacks came when they had the extra guy.
The very few times we use a short drop or, God forbid, a true rollout off play action, the plays seem to work. Why these and more short passing to the tight ends aren't used is one of the biggest mysteries of this godawful season.

Why is it so easy for you to blame the coach but not blame the players?? Roll-outs don't work if those that are also suppose to roll with the QB have no lateral speed. mark my words - this o-line is going to get CW hurt before the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Why is it so easy for you to blame the coach but not blame the players?? Roll-outs don't work if those that are also suppose to roll with the QB have no lateral speed. mark my words - this o-line is going to get CW hurt before the end of the season.

The good news, however, is that by the time that happens the season is likely to be over for all practical purposes.

Reaction Score
Wish I had the rollout vs straight deep drop stats in front of me. I dont, but my eyes tell me I didn't see any rollouts Saturday and ony a few short drops. I did see a wonderfully executed rollout to Griffin on the first drive at W. Michigan. Whitmer isn't RGIII but his footwork is good enough to succeed. At least give the man a chance.

Reaction Score
Wish I had the rollout vs straight deep drop stats in front of me. I dont, but my eyes tell me I didn't see any rollouts Saturday and ony a few short drops. I did see a wonderfully executed rollout to Griffin on the first drive at W. Michigan. Whitmer isn't RGIII but his footwork is good enough to succeed. At least give the man a chance.

Ruskin - I'm not talking about CW's footspeed... it's "the others". He does well running for his life as it is.

Reaction Score
Gotcha medic. . . . I think the OL could hold their blocks if the release time was 1-2 seconds shorter. I wish such plays were tried more.

Reaction Score
I felt that the 4th and 2 punt in the first half was a bad call. It set a bad tone and I said so to the wife at the time. We're up 14-0 with 6:40 to go I believe. Showing some confidence in the Offense at that point would have been a good coaching move by the staff. Instead we play not to lose. We've become the UConn Grandpas. We hike up our janitor pants, tighten our suspenders and play it safe. Iowa St, halfback option turns the game around, Buffalo played not to lose and executed the plays to give them a chance. We do what other teams expect us to do. No fake punt, rare screen passes, no option pass, hook and lateral. There is no "Damn the torpedos full speed ahead" confidence on the sidelines. Just a whole bunch of Whoa Nelly.

Reaction Score
I felt that the 4th and 2 punt in the first half was a bad call. It set a bad tone and I said so to the wife at the time. We're up 14-0 with 6:40 to go I believe. Showing some confidence in the Offense at that point would have been a good coaching move by the staff. Instead we play not to lose. We've become the UConn Grandpas. We hike up our janitor pants, tighten our suspenders and play it safe. Iowa St, halfback option turns the game around, Buffalo played not to lose and executed the plays to give them a chance. We do what other teams expect us to do. No fake punt, rare screen passes, no option pass, hook and lateral. There is no "Damn the torpedos full speed ahead" confidence on the sidelines. Just a whole bunch of Whoa Nelly.

I don't argue that's what you might do if you had a reason to be confident in your offense BUT if he did and the tailback/fullback ran into the of his blockers being pushed backwards like so many other plays this year - he would be vilified and crucified for the call.

But hey, that's why he gets the big bucks.

Reaction Score
Yes he would be lambasted if it failed but maybe they don't score who knows. At that point in the game it wasn't that risky a call. It's about injecting some life into this team. Edsalls 4th down call against Pitt basically told the team that if you want to get somewhere, you have to go get it now and I believe in you and will give you that chance.

Reaction Score
Yes he would be lambasted if it failed but maybe they don't score who knows. At that point in the game it wasn't that risky a call. It's about injecting some life into this team. Edsalls 4th down call against Pitt basically told the team that if you want to get somewhere, you have to go get it now and I believe in you and will give you that chance.

Really? I'm an Edsall fan, but I would almost guaranty you that what Edsall thought at the time was "I think I have a better chance to win the game letting Hurd lead Todman through the hole and converting the 1st down here than I have letting Pitt start at their own 40 only needing a FG to win."

No more,, no less. Any coach -- even our current one -- is trying to win the game, not please fans or send a message to his players. If you're winning games, your players will assume you believe in them because everyone will believe in them.

Reaction Score
The coaches are the only professionals on the field. Of course most of the blame is on them.

Reaction Score
The coaches are the only professionals on the field. Of course most of the blame is on them.

Hate to break this to you Wisky, but the coaches aren't on the field. Eleven young men are on any particular play.

Reaction Score
Hate to break this to you Wisky, but the coaches aren't on the field. Eleven young men are on any particular play.

They make decisions that directly impact the game on every down. The field is just one part of the battlefield.

Reaction Score
They make decisions that directly impact the game on every down. The field is just one part of the battlefield.

They do directly impact the game. And I'm certainly not defending this staff's ability to do so. But you can have the best plan in the world, and if players don't make plays you're not going to win.

Reaction Score
They do directly impact the game. And I'm certainly not defending this staff's ability to do so. But you can have the best plan in the world, and if players don't make plays you're not going to win.

Your players have to be prepared to execute properly. The good field generals put their players in position to compete at an elite level by giving them ample opportunity.

We basically throw plays away every time we run the Wildcat or not call a TO at an opportune moment.

Reaction Score
Your players have to be prepared to execute properly. The good field generals put their players in position to compete at an elite level by giving them ample opportunity.

And what, exactly, do you think our field generals did wrong which led out field goal kicker to miss 4 field goals? Or force Dwayne Gratz to fall down and give up a huge play with less than a minute left in the game? Or Chandler Whitmer to fumble another ball?

At some point, the kids have to actually make the plays.

Reaction Score
And what, exactly, do you think our field generals did wrong which led out field goal kicker to miss 4 field goals? Or force Dwayne Gratz to fall down and give up a huge play with less than a minute left in the game? Or Chandler Whitmer to fumble another ball?

At some point, the kids have to actually make the plays.

1. Try a different kicker. Go for it on fourth instead of wasting the down on a likely missed kick.

2. If your offense old actually stay on the field, maybe Gratz doesn't fall.

3. Don't demote the successful Oline coach so that the QB has no protection.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Pardon me, but I think that is the point. Parts of this past game notwithstanding, my non-expert opinion continues to be that the coaches are not putting their players in the best position to succeed (i.e. they don't have remotely close to the best plan in the world...especially for this group of players).

Reaction Score
1. Try a different kicker. Go for it on fourth instead of wasting the down on a likely missed kick.

2. If your offense old actually stay on the field, maybe Gratz doesn't fall. No - but then your receivers will let ball go through their hands, or slip on cuts, or run routes shorter than designed. Keep blaming all on the coaches if it makes you feel better.

3. Don't demote the successful Oline coach so that the QB has no protection.

Reaction Score

huskymedic if the receivers continue to run shorter routes than designed who should get in those kids faces to do it right the next time??

There's no excuses for the drop ball's though!

Reaction Score

The defense always gets tired more quickly than the guys they at defending. Not having the initiative has a wy of doing that.

I would rather have a receiver slip and fall, than cb in single coverage. No. Brainer.

Reaction Score
huskymedic if the receivers continue to run shorter routes than designed who should get in those kids faces to do it right the next time??

There's no excuses for the drop ball's though!

Good point. Maybe we run too many plays. The Air Raid probably uses half as many passing plays and gets twice the output. Probably with similar talent.

Reaction Score
Really? I'm an Edsall fan, but I would almost guaranty you that what Edsall thought at the time was "I think I have a better chance to win the game letting Hurd lead Todman through the hole and converting the 1st down here than I have letting Pitt start at their own 40 only needing a FG to win."

No more,, no less. Any coach -- even our current one -- is trying to win the game, not please fans or send a message to his players. If you're winning games, your players will assume you believe in them because everyone will believe in them.

You're right BL, Edsall admitted in the postgame that we hadn't stopped them and he felt we'd lose if they got the ball back. My point is that at that time, home, up 14-0 and with a 3-3 record we needed to not manage the game but attack and keep attacking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The tide is slowly turning on coach's going for it on fourth down. If more fans understood it was the right choice the tide would turn more quickly.

Reaction Score

So if a player says it is his fault it is still the coach's fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom