How does all the blame fall on the coaches? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How does all the blame fall on the coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chad did one thing few or us would have the guts to do, be the first guy in the interview room and publicly answer every single question about his failure. I'd be proud of him if he was my son. If this was the NFL, I'd have no problem cutting Chad today. Should we have another kicker ready to go at Syracuse if another chip shot is missed? You bet, but I'd hate for Puyol to blow his redshirt. The point is that with the clear message sent by the coaches that we are playing for field goals and not touchdowns there's extra pressure on the kicker.

You were going strong until the last sentence...

Reaction Score
You're gonna roasted for saying that. Because some on this board actually believe we lost this game because we punted at 4th & 1 in the first half.

That said, I saw plenty of other reasons to justify firing P & D. They need to go.

Count me as one who thought that punt was a momentum changer. I wouldn't say we lost the game because of it, but it certainly seemed to put the brakes on an offense that was moving the ball. I took it as a "we are ahead, whatever we do, it must be conservative" move by the coaching staff. There is plenty of blame to go around in this loss, but I looked at this point in time as a good time to give the offense a bit of confidence, at least let them believe that the staff trusts them a wee little bit. Who the hell knows if they would have been successful or not, but as far as I am concerned, that wasn't the point.

Reaction Score
It has been proven time and again at all levels of sports that coaching matters. However, in college football program building matters as well. There is no GM
bringing in players. It is all on the coaches shoulders to build a team and make it win.

This team and program is getting worse every week. It isn't building. It's hard to identify but fans can see a work in progress. Lousille hasn't been great with Strong but everyone could tell he was building something. Everyone could tell he knew what he was doing. Nobody, locally or nationally perceives us as building. We are a joke. Bad hire.

Good point about the "hard to identify but fans can see a work in progress." It's like an osmosis slowing spreading over the team. Quite imperceptible, but it's a mental attitude that "we can't get this done." "We can't do this." There is something creeping over this team, and it's coming from the top.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this board sometimes. Was it the most brilliantly coached game ever by Coach P? No.

But I saw a LOT of failures all around. Players not making plays.

-Chad Christen has to make ONE of those kicks. Any one of them. I don't care which. I'm sorry if you feel it's unfair to blame him, but COME ON.
-Chandler Whitmer missing wide open passes on several occasions and once against losing the ball.
-I saw plenty of passing on first down and even some sweeps and Joe Williams out there
-When it mattered most, the D just couldn't keep them off the field, and that's on the personnel and Don Brown (who strangely manages to avoid criticism)
-Dwayne Gratz getting beat several times including that huge pass with less than a minute left where he fell down
-Where's the Run D at? 140+ yards for Montrell Harris?

Pasqualoni's at fault because Christen can't kick a 29 year field goal? DeLeone's at fault because Whitmer once again can't protect the ball? It's Hathaway's fault that Dwayne Gratz gets beat in coverage?

I understand that we want to blame the coaches for anything and everything, and I always despised when Edsall blamed "execution," but I saw some TERRIBLE plays yesterday. Terrible plays made by players. Some experienced, some less so.

Should we have put in Puyol? Given Joe Williams more touches? Called a timeout on the last drive? I don't know. Again, I think Pasqualoni shares some of the blame. But it's not all on him. I'm sorry, but our players made some boneheaded plays, and that can't all be on him.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but if y'all think firing Pasqualoni is going to turn this bunch of kids into a BCS contender, I think you're dreaming.

PP agrees with you! It's the players!

Reaction Score
If PP says all is well and the team is making progress - he gets chastised for being senile or in denial and if tells the truth he gets castrated. Must be fun to be you... I'm glad yo don't work with me.
Hey dude, I am not going nuts here. Calm down. And I meant supposed "witches" being "thrown under the bus".

Reaction Score
In any given week you can find a couple of areas where players underperformed or screwed up. This week it was more pronounced. Our kicker could have put away a close game against Temple. The fact that we're in a close game against Temple and can't look at one game on the schedule other than UMass and expect a lockdown win is on the coaches. This is their second year and you have to honestly ask yourself if we're going in the right direction. Would a made field goal really change your assessment of the last 2 years. Not me.

Reaction Score
PP agrees with you! It's the players!

Not saying it's just the players. I'm just saying. The longer the season goes on, the more convinced I am that our team is just not all that talented, either. No offense to the players, who are busting their asses. And there are a few standouts. But in key positions (for instance, OL and DL), we are missing the level of talent that makes the difference between close wins and losses.

Reaction Score
In most games players will make mistakes. My opinion is the over the course of this season, our coaches have made more. The failure to stick to a short passing game, considering the inexperience of our QB and the issues with the OL, is the biggest mistake in my view.

Reaction Score
Not saying it's just the players. I'm just saying. The longer the season goes on, the more convinced I am that our team is just not all that talented, either. No offense to the players, who are busting their asses. And there are a few standouts. But in key positions (for instance, OL and DL), we are missing the level of talent that makes the difference between close wins and losses.

We have more talent than our record shows.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this board sometimes. Was it the most brilliantly coached game ever by Coach P? No.

But I saw a LOT of failures all around. Players not making plays.

-Chad Christen has to make ONE of those kicks. Any one of them. I don't care which. I'm sorry if you feel it's unfair to blame him, but COME ON.
-Chandler Whitmer missing wide open passes on several occasions and once against losing the ball.
-I saw plenty of passing on first down and even some sweeps and Joe Williams out there
-When it mattered most, the D just couldn't keep them off the field, and that's on the personnel and Don Brown (who strangely manages to avoid criticism)
-Dwayne Gratz getting beat several times including that huge pass with less than a minute left where he fell down
-Where's the Run D at? 140+ yards for Montrell Harris?

Pasqualoni's at fault because Christen can't kick a 29 year field goal? DeLeone's at fault because Whitmer once again can't protect the ball? It's Hathaway's fault that Dwayne Gratz gets beat in coverage?

I understand that we want to blame the coaches for anything and everything, and I always despised when Edsall blamed "execution," but I saw some TERRIBLE plays yesterday. Terrible plays made by players. Some experienced, some less so.

Should we have put in Puyol? Given Joe Williams more touches? Called a timeout on the last drive? I don't know. Again, I think Pasqualoni shares some of the blame. But it's not all on him. I'm sorry, but our players made some boneheaded plays, and that can't all be on him.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but if y'all think firing Pasqualoni is going to turn this bunch of kids into a BCS contender, I think you're dreaming.

Not a flame. What is your litmus test for success? Is it results, game management, ability to adjust in-game, recruiting, etc? How would you grade PP?

One thing I know for sure, is that with PP we will never be a BCS contender.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if loop or srq are season ticket holders or pay for their tickets if they go to the games. And wondering if they know any players or their families.

They are certainly entitled to have their say even if the answer to all of the above is no. And if they plan on subsidizing the program if P/GDL are still in place, god bless them. I do think it's incredibly poor form to call players out, though. Most of the mistakes cited reflect a failure of leadership. This failed offensive coaching philosophy has left so little margin for error players like Chad are under extra, unneeded pressure.

By the way we're still 6th in the nation in total defense. there's a LOT other teams who would love to have DB as coordinator.
No I am not a season ticket holder due to the fact that I live in Florida. One of the things I do miss is being able to go to these games every Saturday with my family an friends. You guys get that. I am envious. I do a hundred dollar a month donation to the athletic department as a way if support evaluate I would ha e spent that money on seasons anyway. I do fly up for one game a year with my friends this year was buffalo. They are coming down this year and we will go to usf. Can't wait till Ucf I'm big east then I can see them every year
With that said I support all our coaches. I think everyone here is sulu opportune but we show it in different ways. I am more patient. I realize all teams have their dry spell. Even Texas had one. I am starting to think a change is in order but not a firing midseason type of change. I have a little more patience and I'm not a headhunter type.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, the coach is responsible period. Otherwise, we can go without a coach. The coaches recruit, train, teach systems, establish game plans, evaluate weaknesses and strengths and motivate. All failure in execution is the coaches fault. Discipline, intensity and exactitude in execution is the goal.

There is never an excuse for losing to a less athletic, less powerful team. If we beat a top 20, PP would be a genius. Why? Because the goal is getting the team to exceed its potential. When you lose to 2 MACs, that falls on the coach.

Reaction Score
In most games players will make mistakes. My opinion is the over the course of this season, our coaches have made more. The failure to stick to a short passing game, considering the inexperience of our QB and the issues with the OL, is the biggest mistake in my view.

This is spot on. Did it really take 7 games for them to finally mix it up a little on first down? This coaching staff simply has no clue how to manage a game, or coach these players up on offense. They don't seem to have any interest. BTW does anyone else think that the players might be falling asleep during team meetings that PP is leading, his interview at the end of the first half was hard to listen to.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Who has our Oline playing at 285 lbs? Who came up with the blocking scheme that turned a top running program into one of the worst, halving the yard per rush average.

Who continues to allow Gratz and Mack to get abused in critical situations?

Who decided to fair catch every punt and not block the opposing coverage team? These are both scheme.

And finally, who keeps running the wildcat despite seven games now of ineptitude?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
By the way we're still 6th in the nation in total defense. there's a LOT other teams who would love to have DB as coordinator.
In the last Temple drive the defense wasn't in position for a couple snaps. I'm not talking about a linebacker switching sides either... the WHOLE GROUP standing and not ready when the ball is snapped. They didn't get the memo that the offense has to wait for them?

Reaction Score
Defense got two fourth-and-short stops in the 4th quarter. Takes a lot of physical and mental energy to do that over and over again. If you want to torch DB go ahead but there's lots of top 25 teams who would gladly take him off our hands

Reaction Score

Talent level, is a constantly dynamic thing. You match up week to week, and have games to play.

Comparatively, internally, I don't think we are as talented, and have the physical gifts that we've had in some positions on the field, as recently as last year and the year before. In other positions on the field, we are better. That's all 3 phases of the game.

Comparatively, externally, we just played a Temple team, that is by far, less talented, and physically gifted than the Rutgers team we played the week before.

In the first uarter of that rutgers game, we had wide open passes to teh TE, that were missed. WOuld have gone for TD's. THe same thing happened aganst Temple, we connected.

The second half of the game, rolled around, we begin to rely on fundamentals, and strategy in a football game, rather than the weekly game plan executed to start the game, and we fall apart.

I don't believe that we were overmatched on the field, physically, yesterday.

I believe I"m beginning to clearly see, a couple of NFL coaches, in Pasqualoni and Deleone, that have lost touch with what it takes to build an offense in college. They seem to be approachign the game from a very professional angle, when it comes to systems, practice, preparation and it's not the pro game on offense. Period.

You can run pro-style offensive concepts, but you have to practice and prepare, like you're in college, not the NFL.

Reaction Score
No I am not a season ticket holder due to the fact that I live in Florida. One of the things I do miss is being able to go to these games every Saturday with my family an friends. You guys get that. I am envious. I do a hundred dollar a month donation to the athletic department as a way if support evaluate I would ha e spent that money on seasons anyway. I do fly up for one game a year with my friends this year was buffalo. They are coming down this year and we will go to usf. Can't wait till Ucf I'm big east then I can see them every year
With that said I support all our coaches. I think everyone here is sulu opportune but we show it in different ways. I am more patient. I realize all teams have their dry spell. Even Texas had one. I am starting to think a change is in order but not a firing midseason type of change. I have a little more patience and I'm not a headhunter type.

I agree with this assessment, but there are times, when you've got to fire somebody to make a change. It's probably one of the hardest things that a person in position of authority over others needs to do. You know that a person's method of making money, is going to get cut off if you make such a decision.

The thing to determine at this point, is whether or not we are in a point in a cycle, or we are in a linear trend, and if so - in each case - where are we on the line, and what direction are we going?

THe lifeblood of every football program is recruiting. If a change is determined necessary in coaching staff, based on field/game performance, the effect it will have on recruiting needs to be measured and calculated.

Just saying.

Reaction Score
First, the coaching has been suspect this year. From horrible clock management, to disjointed offensive playcalling.

But I do agree, there is a talent issue on offense as well. Our running game is anemic, and it can't all be blamed on the O Line. Losing Petrus and Mike Ryan really hurt that line.

Reaction Score
We make the right adjustments on offense yesterday, we win the game. No need to be held hostage by a kicker. Game over.

Reaction Score

When you come out of the gate up 14-0 in less than a quarter, and then are only able to manage 4 fg attempts the rest of the game, that's coaching. Temple made adjustments, UConn couldn't adjust to their adjustments.

When the talent level is very close to your opposition, it's coaching that distinguishes the wins from the losses. We don't have an overwhelming lack of talent for the schedule we are playing. We are in the Big East playing MAC and mediocre ACC teams OOC. And we are losing the close games, that's an indictment of the coaching.

Yesterday's loss may have been prevented with Christen making a field goal. But were we to win, it would have been a result that masked the greater problem. From the 2nd quarter on, it was an incredibly poorly coached game.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
My god this thread is like a street fight I don't know were to turn next! Awesome!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom