How does all the blame fall on the coaches? | The Boneyard

How does all the blame fall on the coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand this board sometimes. Was it the most brilliantly coached game ever by Coach P? No.

But I saw a LOT of failures all around. Players not making plays.

-Chad Christen has to make ONE of those kicks. Any one of them. I don't care which. I'm sorry if you feel it's unfair to blame him, but COME ON.
-Chandler Whitmer missing wide open passes on several occasions and once against losing the ball.
-I saw plenty of passing on first down and even some sweeps and Joe Williams out there
-When it mattered most, the D just couldn't keep them off the field, and that's on the personnel and Don Brown (who strangely manages to avoid criticism)
-Dwayne Gratz getting beat several times including that huge pass with less than a minute left where he fell down
-Where's the Run D at? 140+ yards for Montrell Harris?

Pasqualoni's at fault because Christen can't kick a 29 year field goal? DeLeone's at fault because Whitmer once again can't protect the ball? It's Hathaway's fault that Dwayne Gratz gets beat in coverage?

I understand that we want to blame the coaches for anything and everything, and I always despised when Edsall blamed "execution," but I saw some TERRIBLE plays yesterday. Terrible plays made by players. Some experienced, some less so.

Should we have put in Puyol? Given Joe Williams more touches? Called a timeout on the last drive? I don't know. Again, I think Pasqualoni shares some of the blame. But it's not all on him. I'm sorry, but our players made some boneheaded plays, and that can't all be on him.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but if y'all think firing Pasqualoni is going to turn this bunch of kids into a BCS contender, I think you're dreaming.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this board sometimes. Was it the most brilliantly coached game ever by Coach P? No.

But I saw a LOT of failures all around. Players not making plays.

-Chad Christen has to make ONE of those kicks. Any one of them. I don't care which. I'm sorry if you feel it's unfair to blame him, but COME ON.
-Chandler Whitmer missing wide open passes on several occasions and once against losing th ball.
-I saw plenty of passing on first down and even some sweeps and Joe Williams out there
-When it mattered most, the D just couldn't keep them off the field, and that's on the personnel and Don Brown (who strangely manages to avoid criticism)
-Dwayne Gratz getting beat several times including that huge pass with less than a minute left where he fell down
-Where's the Run D at? 140+ yards for Montrell Harris?

Pasqualoni's at fault because Christen can't kick a 29 year field goal? DeLeone's at fault because Whitmer once again can't protect the ball? It's Hathaway's fault that Dwayne Gratz gets beat in coverage?

I understand that we want to blame the coaches for anything and everything, and I always despised when Edsall blamed "execution," but I saw some TERRIBLE plays yesterday. Terrible plays made by players. Some experienced, some less so.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but if y'all think firing Pasqualoni is going to turn this bunch of kids into a BCS contender, I think you're dreaming.
Amen. This embarrassment falls on the players. Does the team have a leader?

Reaction Score
You're gonna roasted for saying that. Because some on this board actually believe we lost this game because we punted at 4th & 1 in the first half.

That said, I saw plenty of other reasons to justify firing P & D. They need to go.

Reaction Score
We have to fire Pasqualoni. We have no choice. Even if falls on the players, it falls on the coaches first. History proves that.

Reaction Score
You're gonna roasted for saying that. Because some on this board actually believe we lost this game because we punted at 4th & 1 in the first half.

That said, I saw plenty of other reasons to justify firing P & D. They need to go.

That may be the case. I'm glad it's not my call. But I just hate how we're so willing to blame Pasqualoni and so willing to give our players a pass. I know they're just kids, but at the end of the day, players gotta make some plays to win ballgames.

Reaction Score
How can you blame the defense overall? They turned them over on downs twice inside the last 7 minutes. Yes the kicker failed, but there were some real head scratchers yesterday. Bringing the wildcat in to turn a manageable second and three into a more difficult third and six was dumb. That was followed by sending the struggling kicker out there once again. Oh well. The end is near it appears. I really want to see P succeed, but it doesn't seem meant to be.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
. Because some on this board actually believe we lost this game because we punted at 4th & 1 in the first half.

I'm not going to roast somebody new to the game like yourself, someone with no understanding of turning points. But that punt told the team that the coach doesn't have any faith in them. They lost all the swagger they started the game with at that moment.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to roast somebody new to the game like yourself, someone with no understanding of turning points. But that punt told the team that the coach doesn't have any faith in them. They lost all the swagger they started the game with at that moment.

Keep in mind that the only people who think that right now are angry and emotional fans. People who cover the game for a living would scoff at the ridiculousness of your sentiment.

If you need some knowledge to boost your football IQ, just PM me and I'll do my best to teach you something. I promise I won't tell anybody. But if you want to continue to embarrass yourself on this board, that's your right too.

Reaction Score
Coaches coach, and players play, and when a team can't generate a net of more a 100 yards against Temple running the ball, and after finishing what clearly looked like a well practiced script in the first quarter, going up 14-0, outgaining them 200+ yds to less than 10 yds in 15 min......and then getting into the playbook and system thereafter - the team falls apart, and can't movethe chains - not ONCE - on multiple possessions, time after time, coming out after the half, consecutive 3 and outs, interception by the D - 3 and out............everybody sucks. It starts right at the top, and goes on down the chain.

Reaction Score
How can you blame the defense overall? They turned them over on downs twice inside the last 7 minutes. Yes the kicker failed, but there were some real head scratchers yesterday. Bringing the wildcat in to turn a manageable second and three into a more difficult third and six was dumb. That was followed by sending the struggling kicker out there once again. Oh well. The end is near it appears. I really want to see P succeed, but it doesn't seem meant to be.
Excellent point. No way this was the defenses fault. The Wildcat was a joke as usual, how many times do we have to watch that formation lose yards on second down! Most teams win when they hold the other team to 14 points.....7 if the offense/coaching staff knew how to run out the clock.

Reaction Score
Zero points in the last three quarters.

This offensive staff is incapable of making in game adjustments that work. The offense should get better during the game -- not worse.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if loop or srq are season ticket holders or pay for their tickets if they go to the games. And wondering if they know any players or their families.

They are certainly entitled to have their say even if the answer to all of the above is no. And if they plan on subsidizing the program if P/GDL are still in place, god bless them. I do think it's incredibly poor form to call players out, though. Most of the mistakes cited reflect a failure of leadership. This failed offensive coaching philosophy has left so little margin for error players like Chad are under extra, unneeded pressure.

By the way we're still 6th in the nation in total defense. there's a LOT other teams who would love to have DB as coordinator.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll do my best to teach you something.

The next comment on this board from you that is either unique, precient, thoughtful, insightful or witty will be your first.

Reaction Score
You are right that it's on the players but coaches must be leaders. Groups respond to leadership. As Carl said, this kind of thing starts at the top and flows downhill. The leadership is not there.

Reaction Score
The next comment on this board from you that is either unique, precient, thoughtful, insightful or witty will be your first.

Monday morning blowhard and an Internet tough guy to boot. That's all you really are.

Reaction Score
We have to fire Pasqualoni. We have no choice. Even if falls on the players, it falls on the coaches first. History proves that.

Sure... Salem Witch Hunt sums it up.

Reaction Score
Jimmy - the punt was indeed the turning point. It sucked the life out of the team and showed Temple that we, or at least our coaches, we're running scared

Carl - great post. + 1,000

Reaction Score
Just wondering if loop or srq are season ticket holders or pay for their tickets if they go to the games. And wondering if they know any players or their families.

They are certainly entitled to have their say even if the answer to all of the above is no. And if they plan on subsidizing the program if P/GDL are still in place, god bless them. I do think it's incredibly poor form to call players out, though. Most of the mistakes cited reflect a failure of leadership. This failed offensive coaching philosophy has left so little margin for error players like Chad are under extra, unneeded pressure.

By the way we're still 6th in the nation in total defense. there's a LOT other teams who would love to have DB as coordinator.

Yes, I am a season ticket holder, but I appreciate that you feel compelled to question my loyalty to this team because I don't agree with your conclusions, or don't think that the players should be immune from criticism.

If you want to tell yourself that Christen missed those field goals because of poor leadership, you are certainly entitled to that opinion. And yes, statistically we have a great defense. But that great defense also need to stop a 4th down conversion when the game's on the line.

Reaction Score

Why is it poor form to call out a player for his/her performance and what does knowing players and families have to do with anything as well. Are you insinuating that the obvious should be left unsaid? I'm not advocating mean,ill spirited, threatening posts but if a receiver has a ball go through their hands or a kicker misses a few field goals, or DB falls twice in coverage it's only proper to look the other way and not say anything?

I don't get the connections...

Reaction Score
They threw their players under the bus. (Worse than that, really.)

If PP says all is well and the team is making progress - he gets chastised for being senile or in denial and if tells the truth he gets castrated. Must be fun to be you... I'm glad yo don't work with me.

Reaction Score
It has been proven time and again at all levels of sports that coaching matters. However, in college football program building matters as well. There is no GM
bringing in players. It is all on the coach's shoulders to build a team and make it win.

This team and program is getting worse every week. It isn't building. It's hard to identify but fans can see a work in progress. Lousille hasn't been great with Strong but everyone could tell he was building something. Everyone could tell he knew what he was doing. Nobody, locally or nationally perceives us as building. We are a joke. Bad hire.

Reaction Score
Chad did one thing few or us would have the guts to do, be the first guy in the interview room and publicly answer every single question about his failure. I'd be proud of him if he was my son. If this was the NFL, I'd have no problem cutting Chad today. Should we have another kicker ready to go at Syracuse if another chip shot is missed? You bet, but I'd hate for Puyol to blow his redshirt. The point is that with the clear message sent by the coaches that we are playing for field goals and not touchdowns there's extra pressure on the kicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom