How do you feel about UConn's recruiting? | The Boneyard

How do you feel about UConn's recruiting?

Optimistic or Pessimistic about Recruiting?

• Optimistic

• Pessimistic

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can I vote "cautiously optimistic"?

If we get Gibbs, grad transfer "recruiting" season will have gone swimmingly.

But the regular recruiting season was not a cause for optimism, getting outrecruited by UNLV, VCU, and others. Also, we seem to be getting a late start on 2016. IIRC, Adams and Hamilton already committed by around this time. We're banking on about 5 commits between now and November, unless we want to go back to the late signing pool (and the grad transfer end might be drying up if the NCAA changes the rules). If we get Gilbert, that will be a big one to have in the bag.

Reaction Score
I voted pessimistic, not based on results, based on the fact for a team with the success UConn has had it's hard and rare to recruit elite kids and lately we've been 2nd to teams we should never be second to.

Being imprisioned to the AAC cannot possibly be a positive over time.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Can I vote "cautiously optimistic"?

If we get Gibbs, grad transfer "recruiting" season will have gone swimmingly.

But the regular recruiting season was not a cause for optimism, getting outrecruited by UNLV, VCU, and others. Also, we seem to be getting a late start on 2016. IIRC, Adams and Hamilton already committed by around this time. We're banking on about 5 commits between now and November, unless we want to go back to the late signing pool (and the grad transfer end might be drying up if the NCAA changes the rules). If we get Gilbert, that will be a big one to have in the bag.
You're just never not worried about something, are you. Someone could ask you what you thought about UConn winning the national championship and you'd say, "It went well, but if we don't cash in some top-quality recruits from this then we'll have legitimate reason to question our coaching staff."

Reaction Score
Getting a combo of enoch and adams is no joke. both those guys are serious players; also i'm pretty sure KO lead recruiting for dre and deandre... he's a beast recruiter and has done what he can in our conference situation. can't just ignore how he got hamilton, then adams the next year, both blue chippers in their classes. how could you not be optimistic?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Getting a combo of enoch and adams is no joke. both those guys are serious players; also i'm pretty sure KO lead recruiting for dre and deandre... he's a beast recruiter and has done what he can in our conference situation. can't just ignore how he got hamilton, then adams the next year, both blue chippers in their classes. how could you not be optimistic?

Because crying over recruits we didn't get is in vogue. Like Brandon Jennings, Brandon Knight, and Doron Lamb. Everyone's still pining for them. Oh wait...

Reaction Score
I really thought we would be in the top 10 in recruiting every year with KO. His NBA background + charisma + NC + history of UConn basketball + facilities. Conference affiliation is overrated.

Anyway it's been decent so far, but definitely could get better. Gibbs and 2016 will be huge.

Reaction Score
Because crying over recruits we didn't get is in vogue. Like Brandon Jennings, Brandon Knight, and Doron Lamb. Everyone's still pining for them. Oh wait...

Yup, that's the only reason.

You know, it's possible to express something besides unbridled optimism without claiming the sky is falling. Everyone who is not over-the-moon excited about recruiting is not necessarily Tennspro.

A class of Adams and Enoch is a solid class. Not one that competes with the classes brought in by the programs we historically rank ourselves against. A class of Adams, Enoch and Miller is quite a bit better. A class of Adams, Enoch, Miller and Gibbs would be tremendous. If Gibbs is on board then Scrappy can talk about the Final Four all he wants and I think it's a realistic goal.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yup, that's the only reason.

You know, it's possible to express something besides unbridled optimism without claiming the sky is falling. Everyone who is not over-the-moon excited about recruiting is not necessarily Tennspro.

A class of Adams and Enoch is a solid class. Not one that competes with the classes brought in by the programs we historically rank ourselves against. A class of Adams, Enoch and Miller is quite a bit better. A class of Adams, Enoch, Miller and Gibbs would be tremendous. If Gibbs is on board then Scrappy can talk about the Final Four all he wants and I think it's a realistic goal.

When did I say I was unbridledly optimistic? I've told you before that I know this isn't the historical standard of classes. But JC lost recruits too and life went on. It doesn't matter where they're lost to -- either they're here or they aren't.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I really thought we would be in the top 10 in recruiting every year with KO. His NBA background + charisma + NC + history of UConn basketball + facilities.
Assuming we get Gibbs, I'd rather have our incoming class (Gibbs, Miller, Adams, Enoch) than anybody's. I think it's, on paper, the most impactful recruiting class in the country and answers our biggest needs in both the short and long-term.

Reaction Score
Assuming we get Gibbs, I'd rather have our incoming class (Gibbs, Miller, Adams, Enoch) than anybody's. I think it's, on paper, the most impactful recruiting class in the country and answers our biggest needs in both the short and long-term.
I see the roster 1-7 as absolutely loaded with the addition of gibbs. While enoch is young and not the athlete off the floor that drummond was, he is very very quick and decisive. If gibbs commits here it will be nonsense if nobody is talking about us as deep tourney threats, let alone just top 25. Miller also might surprise us all, who knows what he can bring to the table.

Reaction Score
My jurors are still deliberating. I am more old school and look at freshman classes as more recruiting versus transfers/grads which are a different kind of breed. Ollie is still building 'his team' now that JC's players are pretty much gone (not sure about OC/PN?). Therefore I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic as its still early.

Reaction Score
You're just never not worried about something, are you. Someone could ask you what you thought about UConn winning the national championship and you'd say, "It went well, but if we don't cash in some top-quality recruits from this then we'll have legitimate reason to question our coaching staff."

Actually, wasn't most of this board questioning our coaching staff's recruiting chops after we failed to gain significant recruiting momentum off of the championship? I don't think my opinions are outside the mainstream, maybe I just express them more consistently or forcefully than others.

But sure, you're right to characterize my fanhood outlook as one of vigilance rather than cheerleading.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Both. I'm very content when my glass is half full.

But, deep down, I'm kind of pi^^ed off no one's noticed I could use a refill.

Reaction Score
I think realized he needed to recruit better to be competitive nationally. That's why T Sam left. He was being being recruited over and saw it. Now we just need to see if KO can pull it off.

Reaction Score
Optimistic. JC's last class with Facey and Samuel was not a good one. At least not yet. Ollie has done fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom