How do you feel about UConn's recruiting? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How do you feel about UConn's recruiting?

Optimistic or Pessimistic about Recruiting?

• Optimistic

• Pessimistic

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think one thing that people don't fully appreciate is that while Gibbs and Miller are not lottery locks, they are certainly solid NBA prospects. Miller especially, if his 3 point shooting improves he may very well end up as a second round steal. At the college level he is an elite defender and rebounder, will be interesting to see how much more NBA attention he gets now that he is at UConn as opposed to Cornell.

Reaction Score
he's not make or break for next season... we still have a top 25 class coming in and on paper a top 25 team... we wont be a top 25 team preseason if we dont get him because of how we performed last season and we lost boat... recruiting for 2016 will be interesting
We do not have a top 25 team on paper. Adams SHOULD be very good, but he is still a freshman and we have absolutely nobody to back him up at PG with TS leaving. We also have no proven 3 point shooters to stretch the floor outside of Purvis who can be streaky. Boats ability to do that was a huge part of our limited success last year. Without Gibbs we are a decent team and may be able to squeak into the tournament but certainly wouldn't be a threat to go on any type of a run.

Reaction Score
Adams has the potential to be the best pg in country and Enoch looks like a future NBA player. If u anyone thinks recruiting is down they are crazy. You win and lose some recruiting battles.
Did Marcus Paige leave for the NBA when I wasn't looking?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
typically I'm an unbridled optimist. However I voted pessimistic. I only had two choices and I do have a concern. UConn would usually get a top tier guy but the strength has always been to take the 2nd and 3rd tier guys and develop them into better players. I have yet to see that from this coaching staff.

Brimah

Reaction Score
I think this actually makes a ton of sense and hits a lot of points people miss on. I do somewhat disagree with the grad transfer point though, there are some kids who are very good college players and will never be first round picks but contribute greatly to winning teams at a high level.

I'm optimistic with Ollie here.

His main problem seems to be getting depth from the high school ranks. Quality is there, I mean purely his recruits from high school are Brimah, Lubin, Hamilton, Adams and Purvis. That's two top 25 kids, another top 50, a kid ranked 250+ who has panned out (into defensive POY in conference as a So.) and a project who transferred. That appears to be batting .800 if Adams and Enoch live up to their rankings.

Now the question is it better to fill holes with grad transfers, or kids ranked outside the top 100?

Of course he still has 3 of Calhouns recruits in Nolan, Calhoun and Facey, so it's a bit hard to judge Ollie on 5 freshmen, 3 grad transfers, 1 JuCo and 1 transfer. 2016 is a big year because of the number of spots potentially available. I do think Ollie will sign a solid class but 2016-2017 could be a bit of a down year due to the youth on the team (unless something Big happens).
We missed on Purvis out of High School

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm optimistic because I have to be. But Ollie's recruiting to date has been mostly gimmicks and asterisks. As far as straight-up recruiting of top kids out of high school, he hasn't hit his stride yet. We lose players to teams that wouldn't have been a thought a few years ago. We have more Top 100 decommits than commits, I believe. The haul has been pretty meager compared to the press clippings.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I like the way Ollie recruits. Goes after local kids (as he should), but he also targets kids who aren't quite at that elite level yet, so he knows they would stay for atleast 2-3 years. I'd be fine getting 2-3 4 star recruits each year that have a high ceiling and would stay more than one year. Then sprinkle that in with the occasional 5 star recruit (if an Andre Drummond ever comes about again, I can't complain) and grad transfer or 2, then we are set up for sustained success.

Reaction Score
Did Marcus Paige leave for the NBA when I wasn't looking?
I never said next year but in due time. Same thing goes for Enoch and NBA if your trying to pick apart my comment.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
No problem. How about putting your fanship where your mouths are then?

We know it's a given that you guys are going to bitch at every turn because, of course, you know more than anyone else (well, except for the vast majority of the time that you are dead wrong, but I digress...).

I'll take the guys we've got and root like hell for them. You guys can continue to bitch all you want at every little hiccup (and Chief, you can remind us how you predicted it all).

Just please--please--promise us that you will take no pride or ownership in this team, which by your express statements lacks talent and stars, if and when it succeeds.

You can't have it both ways. I'll take my chances. Will you take yours?
I'm happy with adams,

I just enjoy b*tching about .
I'm excited about this coming years team.
should be fun to watch and root for.

Reaction Score
Which team has been better at recruiting over the past 3 years: Kansas, Arizona, north Carolina, or Connecticut? It's Connecticut - the only team in this comparison with a national championship. The goal of recruiting is to get players who will lead you to a championship. I don't care about anything else.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Which team has been better at recruiting over the past 3 years: Kansas, Arizona, north Carolina, or Connecticut? It's Connecticut - the only team in this comparison with a national championship. The goal of recruiting is to get players who will lead you to a championship. I don't care about anything else.
Agreed. But you don't want to go into a season not sure what you're going to get from players. Or have them take three years to develop. I think ollie is doing a great job with the ban and everything. Dude won a nc. He'll be kicking ass sooner than later on the recruitment trail

Reaction Score
Plenty of "mediocre" classes turn out to be tremendous, and there are always plenty of busy players. (Anybody remember how SI out Felipe Lopez on their cover?).
Plenty of Calhoun's elite classes underachieved and solid to strong classes overachieved. Or maybe, it's as Jim said (re: 2011 freshman class), "I thought we had the best recruiting class in the country. But you really don't know how good they are until you have them in practice. "

We don't need the "best" players. We want a few of them. But, we really need the right players.

Reaction Score
I voted pessimistic, not based on results, based on the fact for a team with the success UConn has had it's hard and rare to recruit elite kids and lately we've been 2nd to teams we should never be second to.

Being imprisioned to the AAC cannot possibly be a positive over time.

I don't think the the AAC is really the problem when you consider the other teams recruits are committing to are mostly G5 . I have no idea what the problem is except perhaps we need a better recruiter.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I really wish I could stay away from the Yard for a couple of weeks. For some reason, probably known to many addicts, I just can't.

Reaction Score
Pessismistic for 3 reasons

A
A
C

End of story, these kids buy into the ESPN ACC & Kentucky hype machine. With a pathetic version of the Big East out there, we are two rungs down the conference ladder. This will ultimately be the end of UCONN basketball as we know it

Reaction Score
- depth is nice but in basketball most important is getting a couple of stars each year - Emeka and Ben come to mind.
I selected optimistic because I'm not pessimistic. I think the incoming class is better than some credit it, and we've seen improvement in KO's recruiting. It ain't perfect, or UConn peak years, but KO is new. It does need to get better, in general though. The NCAA is going to close this grad transfer thing. As some have said, I'm not surprised about losing recruits to Louisville, UK, Duke, etc. It's when we lose Jones or Mack or Larrier that I question our recruiting.

The Emeka and Ben point makes me think, though. Wasn't one a guard prospect right on the cusp of the McD's game, and the other a barely Top 100 big?

On paper, Adams and Enoch are rated higher than them.

Tells you more about recruiting services--and the difficulty of ranking high school players--than anything about the talent of those 4 players.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Better today. First 2016 committ would change this to great.

Reaction Score
Better today. First 2016 committ would change this to great.
Agreed. I don't think the recruiting is far off from being really good - the staff whiffed on a few of their top targets in the 2015 class, but they were right near the top of the list. But they need to do a better job sealing the deal.

Diarra sounds like he may be deciding this month, so getting the ball rolling on the '16 class would be a nice addition to the recent string of good news.

Reaction Score
I like the idea that we might be the place where seniors go to transfer every year. You can grab some real talents, talents who are experienced and hopefully will be able to fit right into the team needs.

It's a different type of ONE and DONE and maybe more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom