How do you feel about UConn's recruiting? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How do you feel about UConn's recruiting?

Optimistic or Pessimistic about Recruiting?

• Optimistic

• Pessimistic

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Good. It has gotten better each year. Needs to finish the deal on the studs that have uconn as their top choices

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Optimistic. JC's last class with Facey and Samuel was not a good one. At least not yet. Ollie has done fine.
Ya circumstances surrounding the program had "nothing" to do with that:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
Actually, wasn't most of this board questioning our coaching staff's recruiting chops after we failed to gain significant recruiting momentum off of the championship? I don't think my opinions are outside the mainstream, maybe I just express them more consistently or forcefully than others. But sure, you're right to characterize my fanhood outlook as one of vigilance rather than cheerleading.

In fairness, you're consistently one of the most negative posters on here. It's not just recruiting.

Reaction Score
Assuming we get Gibbs we easily have a top 10 recruiting class including grad transfers. How anyone can be pessimistic about that absolutely blows my mind considering our conference issues.

EDIT: If we don't get Gibbs it's a different story. He is make or break for next season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Agree with Matt, Plus 2016 will be a huge year for us. We will be much more able to tell by next year.

Reaction Score
Actually, wasn't most of this board questioning our coaching staff's recruiting chops after we failed to gain significant recruiting momentum off of the championship? I don't think my opinions are outside the mainstream, maybe I just express them more consistently or forcefully than others.

But sure, you're right to characterize my fanhood outlook as one of vigilance rather than cheerleading.
Vigilance, not cheerleading. I'm not sure I've ever heard a more joyless characterization of the fan experience. Why the hell do you watch sports? To be vigilant? Have fun with that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Optimistic. JC's last class with Facey and Samuel was not a good one. At least not yet. Ollie has done fine.
That was Ollie's first class. JC's last class was Omar Calhoun, Phil Nolan, and Leon Tolksdorf. The last 6 players recruited by Calhoun were the 3 aforementioned, plus Andre Drummond, Ryan Boatright, and DeAndre Daniels. 5/6 of those guys have rings.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That was Ollie's first class. JC's last class was Omar Calhoun, Phil Nolan, and Leon Tolksdorf. The last 6 players recruited by Calhoun were the 3 aforementioned, plus Andre Drummond, Ryan Boatright, and DeAndre Daniels. 5/6 of those guys have rings.

According to rivals, Facey committed on 8/8/12 and Samuel on 9/2/12. Both of those occurred when Calhoun was still at the helm.

Reaction Score
Vigilance, not cheerleading. I'm not sure I've ever heard a more joyless characterization of the fan experience. Why the hell do you watch sports? To be vigilant? Have fun with that.

At some point, we need to learn to pity these folks instead of being annoyed by them. Imagine how it must affect these dudes when someone bad actually happens.

As UCONN fans, we have had one of the best, and perhaps most lucky fan experiences of any team in any sport from the past 20 some odd years, yet so many are still often miserable.

Reaction Score
According to rivals, Facey committed on 8/8/12 and Samuel on 9/2/12. Both of those occurred when Calhoun was still at the helm.
This is correct. Samuel and Facey both committed while Calhoun was the coach but stayed on board when Ollie was hired. Brimah was really the first recruit for Ollie.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This is a major transitional period for UConn and KO right now. KO has won at the highest level in only 3 years at the helm, yet he hasnt had a roster that is fully "his" yet. I think its still way too soon to properly assess KO and the state of the program, but I think as long as Ollie is our coach, we will always be in the hunt.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Technically, but Calhoun did virtually nothing in their recruitments. Ollie was the lead recruiter and first line of contact.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Optimistic. JC's last class with Facey and Samuel was not a good one.
That class was Facey, Kromah, Samuel & Brimah. Three of the four were contributors to a title, so I'd say it was one of our best classes ever.

caw

Reaction Score
That class was Facey, Kromah, Samuel & Brimah. Three of the four were contributors to a title, so I'd say it was one of our best classes ever.

I think the argument is that Brimah and Kromah committed after Ollie was named head coach. Samuel and Facey while JC was still head coach.

Reaction Score
Ya circumstances surrounding the program had "nothing" to do with that:rolleyes:
Not blaming anyone just stating a fact. You can place blame anywhere you like.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
typically I'm an unbridled optimist. However I voted pessimistic. I only had two choices and I do have a concern. UConn would usually get a top tier guy but the strength has always been to take the 2nd and 3rd tier guys and develop them into better players. I have yet to see that from this coaching staff.

C

Chief00

Ok time to quite frankly set some recruiting analysis ground rules:
- it's not how you "feel about recruiting" it's who you get
- it's not about how many you miss on - it's who you get
- depth is nice but in basketball most important is getting a couple of stars each year - Emeka and Ben come to mind.
- let's not confuse 1 year graduate transfers as a way to stack a team - believe me these guys are going to grad school because they are not consensus first round picks - however they are great for filling a hole without scarying future recruits away - they are complements.
- that's enough for now

Reaction Score
Technically, but Calhoun did virtually nothing in their recruitments. Ollie was the lead recruiter and first line of contact.

Yeah, but that was Ollie's role as an assistant coach, too, so they weren't expecting him to be the head coach were they?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
what recruiting?
we sure seem to miss a lot on the talented kids we want and need.
hopefully 2016 is great class.
hopefully we land gibbs, this year.
- depth is nice but in basketball most important is getting a couple of stars each year - Emeka and Ben come to mind.
- let's not confuse 1 year graduate transfers as a way to stack a team - believe me these guys are going to grad school because they are not consensus first round picks - however they are great for filling a hole without scarying future recruits away - they are complements.
- that's enough for now
No problem. How about putting your fanship where your mouths are then?

We know it's a given that you guys are going to bitch at every turn because, of course, you know more than anyone else (well, except for the vast majority of the time that you are dead wrong, but I digress...).

I'll take the guys we've got and root like hell for them. You guys can continue to bitch all you want at every little hiccup (and Chief, you can remind us how you predicted it all).

Just please--please--promise us that you will take no pride or ownership in this team, which by your express statements lacks talent and stars, if and when it succeeds.

You can't have it both ways. I'll take my chances. Will you take yours?

caw

Reaction Score
- that's enough for now

I think this actually makes a ton of sense and hits a lot of points people miss on. I do somewhat disagree with the grad transfer point though, there are some kids who are very good college players and will never be first round picks but contribute greatly to winning teams at a high level.

I'm optimistic with Ollie here.

His main problem seems to be getting depth from the high school ranks. Quality is there, I mean purely his recruits from high school are Brimah, Lubin, Hamilton, Adams and Purvis. That's two top 25 kids, another top 50, a kid ranked 250+ who has panned out (into defensive POY in conference as a So.) and a project who transferred. That appears to be batting .800 if Adams and Enoch live up to their rankings.

Now the question is it better to fill holes with grad transfers, or kids ranked outside the top 100?

Of course he still has 3 of Calhouns recruits in Nolan, Calhoun and Facey, so it's a bit hard to judge Ollie on 5 freshmen, 3 grad transfers, 1 JuCo and 1 transfer. 2016 is a big year because of the number of spots potentially available. I do think Ollie will sign a solid class but 2016-2017 could be a bit of a down year due to the youth on the team (unless something Big happens).

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Assuming we get Gibbs we easily have a top 10 recruiting class including grad transfers. How anyone can be pessimistic about that absolutely blows my mind considering our conference issues.

EDIT: If we don't get Gibbs it's a different story. He is make or break for next season.

he's not make or break for next season... we still have a top 25 class coming in and on paper a top 25 team... we wont be a top 25 team preseason if we dont get him because of how we performed last season and we lost boat... recruiting for 2016 will be interesting

Reaction Score
Adams has the potential to be the best pg in country and Enoch looks like a future NBA player. If u anyone thinks recruiting is down they are crazy. You win and lose some recruiting battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom