Hearst Media CT: Hugh Bailey (opinion): UConn's biggest opponent is geography | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hearst Media CT: Hugh Bailey (opinion): UConn's biggest opponent is geography

Reaction Score
UConn has five games decided by one TD (one by one pt, another by two) and one decided by ten. Their record sucks, but the team isn't the embarrassment some here claim.
I’m sorry I just don’t buy that. Coming close doesn’t mean anything in sports. It’s your record that goes in the books. There’s no asterisk for close losses. 1-7 is an embarrassment. Full stop. And if it’s not for fans players or the program, then that’s sad. Ya gotta win close games. That’s how it works.

Also most games we don’t score more than 14 points. Can’t do that and win in CFB in 2023.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I’m sorry I just don’t buy that. Coming close doesn’t mean anything in sports. It’s your record that goes in the books.

Then this is an odd thing to say.

URI - an FCS team from a hour away in the exact same region - put up 35 points against them and lost by a touchdown.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I see what you’re saying but that was a point about URI being able to recruit talent that put up a better game than us against the same opponent. It wasn’t an assessment of whether or not they’re a good team overall.

i mean do you really buy that our program is vastly improved from 5 years ago? If so, how?

Reaction Score
Can we just agree that we have improved from the historic horrible teams of 3+ years ago but we are still a very very bad bottom 10-20 football team? Yes, games are closer which is good but how can you guys on one hand say we are losing to G5 teams but happy we are playing them closer and then in the next sentence say the G5 conferences are beneath us?

I just don’t get why people are content with being independent and happy to play a schedule with 4 P4 teams a year over being in a conference. Winning will help us move up. We really cannot compete with the P4 unless the state/university just magically decides to make a HUGE invest in football which we all know is not going to happen. Our head coach, who has brought hope to the program has come right out and said this. And yet folks still think otherwise. Bottomline, we need to be in a conference.

It is sorta laughable that folks actually think the P4 are our peers. Why are we playing them? Because it’s more attractive for the fans that don’t show up for the games anyway? We should just get into a G5 conference and have something to play for. Win there, make a few bowls, possibly a conference championship and start talking about moving up. Did someone actually post that we could get an at large to the playoff as an independent over a team from the SEC/B1G? I agree a MAC or CUSA G5 is a super long shot but…c’mon, an at large? Really?

Reaction Score
URI - an FCS team from a hour away in the exact same region - put up 35 points against them and lost by a touchdown. You’re gonna tell me our recruiting base is the problem? Moronic. If anything makes it hard to recruit it’s not being in a conference. The problem is our coaching. Which stems from a lack of investment.

That doesn’t mean anything. Week 1 results are often anomalous. Georgia State is pretty good. I think that you are looking at the wrong things.

They are 6-2 overall and in third place in the Sun Belt. And probably ranked waaaay higher.

Typical uneducated Boneyarder take.

Reaction Score
That doesn’t mean anything. Week 1 results are often anomalous. Georgia State is pretty good. I think that you are looking at the wrong things.

They are 6-2 overall and in third place in the Sun Belt. And probably ranked waaaay higher.

Typical uneducated Boneyarder take.
Ok so then explain our losses to FIU and USF. They’re certainly not more talented than us. Explain why we’ve score more than 14 points twice all season. Explain why we’re kicking 54 yard field goals in absolutely absurd situations. Explain why Nick Charlton is calling screen plays on 3&10.

This team is bad because it is poorly coached. And it’s poorly coached because we’re not doing a good job at finding paying and retaining talented coaches. Other teams make do and succeed with less. We’re just bad at running a football program.

Reaction Score
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.
Insanity is the road college athletics is on right now. You seem to think a conference will change that?

Reaction Score
URI - an FCS team from a hour away in the exact same region - put up 35 points against them and lost by a touchdown. You’re gonna tell me our recruiting base is the problem? Moronic. If anything makes it hard to recruit it’s not being in a conference. The problem is our coaching. Which stems from a lack of investment.
I think Mora was the best option and seemed like he wanted to be here. Were others better? Moorhead? Brown? Purely hypothetical.

Reaction Score
U just can't resist the name calling, can you? Just make your point and let it stand on its own. You have no credibility as a judge of all things.

Are you kidding me? I come here for the ridiculous takes.

Reaction Score
Insanity is the road college athletics is on right now. You seem to think a conference will change that?

From a UConn perspective I don’t see how being independent will help us get much traction in terms of growth. We need some tangible achievements to shoot for. Bowl alliances are nice too.

Reaction Score
I think Mora was the best option and seemed like he wanted to be here. Were others better? Moorhead? Brown? Purely hypothetical.
I think he still is the best option. But I also think Bob Chesney would be the my first choice whenever HCJM wants to hang it up here due to the changing landscape of CFB. The situation has changed drastically even since he was hired. What is now clear is that there are structural impediments to success that did not exist a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? I come here for the ridiculous takes.
If you had some credentials that established some credibility that would be one thing. But you don't. So you come across as someone who knows nothing but likes to run his/her mouth and call people names.

Reaction Score
If you had some credentials that established some credibility that would be one thing. But you don't. So you come across as someone who knows nothing but likes to run his/her mouth and call people names.

Tuthill. You need to go back to bed. I’ve been posting here for an embarrassingly long time and have followed the program as much as anyone.

Reaction Score
From a UConn perspective I don’t see how being independent will help us get much traction in terms of growth. We need some tangible achievements to shoot for. Bowl alliances are nice too.
OK then... which one? The ones we'd like haven't offered, and the one we left won't have us, so what's left? Resurrect the Yankee Conference?

Reaction Score
We are lucky to have Mora. Given the shaky financial situation of the program this is not the most attractive place for a good coach to spend 3-5 years. I would much rather play 4 P4 teams (maybe 1 or 2 at home) than get into another weak conference like the AAC situation where we play joker schools like Memphis and Tulsa. Those schools are not respected in athletics or academics.

Reaction Score
We are lucky to have Mora. Given the shaky financial situation of the program this is not the most attractive place for a good coach to spend 3-5 years. I would much rather play 4 P4 teams (maybe 1 or 2 at home) than get into another weak conference like the AAC situation where we play joker schools like Memphis and Tulsa. Those schools are not respected in athletics or academics.
dude, the shools you mentioned straight molly wopped us all over the field yet they're joker schools???? Don't confuse the financial parts with the actual products on the field... sounds like you're doing that... and when you discount these other schools that may not provide that immediate financial gratification.. they are a means to an end... careful putting down folks... (that "me glass house? You glass house!" thing kicks in... and we've been feeling it for a decade behind woof tickets like this).... just sayin... ( we're on the same team, we want to see UConn Football succeed, but, Geesh, if you don't think thoughts/comments like these don't rile up what you consider lessor opponents, your kidding yourself... we have yet to put ourselves in a position to even downplay any opponent.. not one... if anything we're getting embarrassed... unforunately, brother, we just gotta be patient.. the wins - consistent ones - will eventually come )... we're on to something... gotta stay the course a little longer... as bad as it feels right now...

Reaction Score
OK then... which one? The ones we'd like haven't offered, and the one we left won't have us, so what's left? Resurrect the Yankee Conference?

Probably one of the ones we don’t like because that’s the only option.

There really is no good feasible option. Independence is bad. Being in CUSA or the MAC is bad.

Both have more Cons than Pros. But we made this bed.

Reaction Score
dude, the shools you mentioned straight molly wopped us all over the field yet they're joker schools???? Don't confuse the financial parts with the actual products on the field... sounds like you're doing that... and when you discount these other schools that may not provide that immediate financial gratification.. they are a means to an end... careful putting down folks... (that "me glass house? You glass house!" thing kicks in... and we've been feeling it for a decade behind woof tickets like this).... just sayin... ( we're on the same team, we want to see UConn Football succeed, but, Geesh, if you don't think thoughts/comments like these don't rile up what you consider lessor opponents, your kidding yourself... we have yet to put ourselves in a position to even downplay any opponent.. not one... if anything we're getting embarrassed... unforunately, brother, we just gotta be patient.. the wins - consistent ones - will eventually come )... we're on to something... gotta stay the course a little longer... as bad as it feels right now...
Recruits would rather play an away game at Michigan or Clemson than say they played in the Myrtle Beach Bowl vs Tulsa or some other glorified community college. Stay independent. The games vs UMass and BC are fun to attend because we all know people who went there. Memphis and Tulsa are safety schools for UConn kids.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry I just don’t buy that. Coming close doesn’t mean anything in sports. It’s your record that goes in the books. There’s no asterisk for close losses. 1-7 is an embarrassment. Full stop. And if it’s not for fans players or the program, then that’s sad. Ya gotta win close games. That’s how it works.

Also most games we don’t score more than 14 points. Can’t do that and win in CFB in 2023.
1st step is fielding a competitive team. Thats what last year and this year have been.

Next step is finding some real difference makers at the skill spots, particularly QB and WR.

Unfortunately what do we have to offer? Chance to play for a conference title? No. Competitive NIL money? Doesn't appear so. Yes you can come here and play against some P4 schools and go to the Idaho Potato Bowl. We are not really well positioned at the moment. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
UConn’s biggest challenge is not geography. It is UConn. You can’t advance when your own administration, alumni and fans are split on whether FB should be shut down. When everyone aligns around a P5, we will be fine. Decisions will be made in support of that. Right now, far too many think the BE is the BE all. It essentially dooms the broader athletic program and destroys football.

Reaction Score
Tuthill. You need to go back to bed. I’ve been posting here for an embarrassingly long time and have followed the program as much as anyone.
And yet you still feel the necessity to call people and posts names. How many sports have you played personally?

Reaction Score
Recruits would rather play an away game at Michigan or Clemson than say they played in the Myrtle Beach Bowl vs Tulsa or some other glorified community college. Stay independent. The games vs UMass and BC are fun to attend because we all know people who went there. Memphis and Tulsa are safety schools for UConn kids.

Those buy games are still probably gonna be there in a conference if we want them. What would be tougher to schedule is the home and home p4 games. I don’t really agree though that recruits love the idea of getting crushed at Michigan and mora flat out said recruits don’t care.

I was against joining a g5 but I’ve come around. Don’t really care who we play at this point just want to watch competitive football. Beating rice was fun. Excruciating losses but I definitely enjoyed being at the rent for usf, utah state, fiu more than getting crushed by duke. Rather have competitive games with a conference championship to play for and bowl tie ins, even if it’s a major step down from the last time we competed for conference championships

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom