Hearst Media CT: Hugh Bailey (opinion): UConn's biggest opponent is geography | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hearst Media CT: Hugh Bailey (opinion): UConn's biggest opponent is geography

Reaction Score
I agree with you on this. We played a better schedule this year-which I am fine with. That left us less room for error, but I don’t blame anyone-we blew it.

With the old Edsall teams we got boat raced by Fresno and Holy Cross.

This team would destroy that team.

Reaction Score
You say that all the time and it is a pretty inane comment. There is a big difference.

Before we were were talentless and uncompetitive.

We’re losing these games by one score and unlike Edsall they are playing the best players available.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
The only thing that matters is what the numbers are on either side of the "-". U can wear the rose colored glasses if you want, but I choose realism. The "Ya, but, we are losing all those games by so much less" doesn't really cut it with realists. A loss is a loss is a loss.

Reaction Score
4 losses of 7 points or less and a win over a Rice team that gave Tulane all they can handle is more of a situation of the ball just not bouncing their way this year. Last year it bounced their way and six wins was the result. A couple of those games go your way this year you’re looking at a possible 6 or 7 win season again. I think the problem is last years “success” tricked people into thinking UConn was suddenly good. Year 3 definitely needs to see improvement, but this team is much more capable top to bottom than what the last three coaches have put out there.
As I said on my other response, a loss is a loss is a loss.

Reaction Score
The only thing that matters is what the numbers are on either side of the "-". U can wear the rose colored glasses if you want, but I choose realism. The "Ya, but, we are losing all those games by so much less" doesn't really cut it with realists. A loss is a loss is a loss.

Let’s get you back to bed Gramps.

If you don’t see the difference between this team and the one that was bot raced by Fresno and Holy Cross then you truly are a nitwit.

Reaction Score

If you don’t see the difference between this team and the one that was bot raced by Fresno and Holy Cross then you truly are a nitwit.
I don’t think that’s totally fair. Yea we may have improvements but at the end of the day we’re still 1-7. By any measure this season has been an abject failure. Can’t be losing to FIU and USF at home. Can’t be losing to GA St on the road in front of 500 people. At the end of the day, when conference realignment comes around again - nobody gives an f about moral victories or improvements that don’t translate to wins.

Reaction Score
He's a goof with a bad take. This is the situation:

We are perceived as institutionally inept losers in football. Countless decisions since our former coach dreamed-jobbed us have been tragic - PP, GDL, Bobby Fishcake, ConFLiCT, Dream-Job 2.0, national champs of the COVID skip season, worst defense in FBS history, leaving a conference at the expense of football to save hoops, not hiring a DC, etc. etc. etc. Plus, we have been left at the P5/P4 alter very publicly way too many times because we are so terrible at football. It's a catch-22. If we win in football, we will get into a real conference. However, we can't win in football because we are not in a real conference.

The solution is to INVEST in football. We must allocate more money to coaching so we can get a DC and a new OC. We have to develop a cutting edge NIL program so that kids will WANT to play here. If we do that, we will start winning. Winning solves a LOT of problems.
Agreed 10000%, but reality is this is Connecticut... folks look at checks and balances here ... HARD.... A loss year in and year out financially just doesn't sit well... Would be nice to tap into some of those Billionaires pockets for donations though (just sayin)....

Reaction Score
We are a state flagship, not a state directional. They are not our peers. Our peers are other state flagships and major private schools. FIU and Georgia State (whether they beat us or not) are not our peers.
Truth. Appalachian St beat Michigan, are they peers??

As soon as we make the CUSA or MAC move, we have totally given up.

Reaction Score

U r aware that the first to use an ad hominem attack loses, right? And as I write this I am hoping that you know what the phrase means.

Reaction Score
Truth. Appalachian St beat Michigan, are they peers??

As soon as we make the CUSA or MAC move, we have totally given up.
Which is of course what the opinion piece is advocating.

Reaction Score
Agreed 10000%, but reality is this is Connecticut... folks look at checks and balances here ... HARD.... A loss year in and year out financially just doesn't sit well... Would be nice to tap into some of those Billionaires pockets for donations though (just sayin)....
The UConn administration has already earmarked those contributions for other uses you may be sure. And to be quite frank, I am not sure that I would disagree with them. Part of me says the Ivy League has it about right. What is the primary mission of the University?

(I said part of me. Which means pretty much that I understand their point.)

Reaction Score
U r aware that the first to use an ad hominem attack loses, right? And as I write this I am hoping that you know what the phrase means.

It’s not ad hominem when your takes are so clearly addled and demented.

That’s what they are.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that’s totally fair. Yea we may have improvements but at the end of the day we’re still 1-7. By any measure this season has been an abject failure. Can’t be losing to FIU and USF at home. Can’t be losing to GA St on the road in front of 500 people. At the end of the day, when conference realignment comes around again - nobody gives an f about moral victories or improvements that don’t translate to wins.

Typical moron Boneyard take. Georgia State is a good team. We are in no position to assume such a thing.

Reaction Score
and, oh, btw, we have a few of those in CT... market those folks a bit more... convince to to support their home state a little more than their alma maters... or just a much... can't they get some sort of a tax write off providing such support???? There's ways to do things.. why are we so doggone conservative (well, we're a little less conservative than years ago since we started this FBS thing)... just sayin...

Reaction Score
BC fans claim that they are 7-1 this year except for 3 point losses.

At the end of the day, it is the program's fans that count close losses.

But BC fans and UConn fans are right that their teams have improved.

Reaction Score
BC fans claim that they are 7-1 this year except for 3 point losses.

At the end of the day, it is the program's fans that count close losses.

But BC fans and UConn fans are right that their teams have improved.
For UConn, improvement is compared to two years ago. Gone backward relative to last year. Not half a step but a full step. Now the conference situation I am sure played a big role. But a full step back nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Typical moron Boneyard take. Georgia State is a good team. We are in no position to assume such a thing.
Bro what. We SHOULD win those games. We have more resources and fairly equal talent pool on the roster. The fact that we lost is a testament to poor coaching. A lack of ability to learn from mistakes is what defines UConn football year after year. And that’s a coaching issue.

Reaction Score
Bro what. We SHOULD win those games. We have more resources and fairly equal talent pool on the roster. The fact that we lost is a testament to poor coaching. A lack of ability to learn from mistakes is what defines UConn football year after year. And that’s a coaching issue.
I feel your pain 100000%.. those games we were very competitive in... but, IF this were year 3 and this happening then I'm really with you.. Fact is it's year 2 of setting us up long term... Again, if you look at the body of work compared to Edsall 2.0, we're just better (unfortunately with losses)... We're gonna be better off because of this (even though the losing is tiresome now)

Reaction Score
I feel your pain 100000%.. those games we were very competitive in... but, IF this were year 3 and this happening then I'm really with you.. Fact is it's year 2 of setting us up long term... Again, if you look at the body of work compared to Edsall 2.0, we're just better (unfortunately with losses)... We're gonna be better off because of this (even though the losing is tiresome now)
I don’t completely disagree but the problem IS the coaching. I don’t see how that improves next year when we can’t even learn from simple mistakes during the season. Maybe Mora isn’t the problem - I’m not sure tbh - but at the very least he has chosen and enabled an absolutely atrocious supporting cast led by our moron in chief Nick Charlton. And those idiots are costing us game after game after game.

Reaction Score
Georgia State was clearly a more talented team.

Sorry. And no the recruiting base isn’t equal.

Reaction Score
Georgia State was clearly a more talented team.

Sorry. And no the recruiting base isn’t equal.
URI - an FCS team from a hour away in the exact same region - put up 35 points against them and lost by a touchdown. You’re gonna tell me our recruiting base is the problem? Moronic. If anything makes it hard to recruit it’s not being in a conference. The problem is our coaching. Which stems from a lack of investment.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
URI - an FCS team from a hour away in the exact same region - put up 35 points against them and lost by a touchdown. You’re gonna tell me our recruiting base is the problem? Moronic. If anything makes it hard to recruit it’s not being in a conference. The problem is our coaching. Which stems from a lack of investment.

UConn has five games decided by one TD (one by one pt, another by two) and one decided by 10 pts). Their record sucks, but the team isn't the embarrassment some here claim.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom