Hearst Media CT: Hugh Bailey (opinion): UConn's biggest opponent is geography | The Boneyard

Hearst Media CT: Hugh Bailey (opinion): UConn's biggest opponent is geography

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
He's a goof with a bad take. This is the situation:

We are perceived as institutionally inept losers in football. Countless decisions since our former coach dreamed-jobbed us have been tragic - PP, GDL, Bobby Fishcake, ConFLiCT, Dream-Job 2.0, national champs of the COVID skip season, worst defense in FBS history, leaving a conference at the expense of football to save hoops, not hiring a DC, etc. etc. etc. Plus, we have been left at the P5/P4 alter very publicly way too many times because we are so terrible at football. It's a catch-22. If we win in football, we will get into a real conference. However, we can't win in football because we are not in a real conference.

The solution is to INVEST in football. We must allocate more money to coaching so we can get a DC and a new OC. We have to develop a cutting edge NIL program so that kids will WANT to play here. If we do that, we will start winning. Winning solves a LOT of problems.

Reaction Score
He's right on 99% of his arguments. The one he's wrong on is Holy Cross is not in Hockey East. He's gotta do his homework.
Could you cut and paste his exact words on this topic? Because I didn't see that in his piece and I read it like 5 times. Am I losing it? He said something about why UConn was allow to join Hockey East. But where he displayed his ignorance about hockey is the fact that all of college hockey teams are members of hockey only conferences, excepting the B1G. So his point is meaningless. But I did not see the thing about HC.

Btw, HC just beat UConn twice, did they not? UConn have been outshooting their opponents bigtime but not scoring.

Reaction Score
Could you cut and paste his exact words on this topic? Because I didn't see that in his piece and I read it like 5 times. Am I losing it? He said something about why UConn was allow to join Hockey East. But where he displayed his ignorance about hockey is the fact that all of college hockey teams are members of hockey only conferences, excepting the B1G. So his point is meaningless. But I did not see the thing about HC.

Btw, HC just beat UConn twice, did they not? UConn have been outshooting their opponents bigtime but not scoring.
"UConn ice hockey is in the Hockey East Conference, alongside Boston University and Holy Cross."

Happy now?

Reaction Score
"UConn ice hockey is in the Hockey East Conference, alongside Boston University and Holy Cross."

Happy now?
Well, I still don't understand the point u were trying to make, but it's moot. The writer was advocating for something and revealed his lack of knowledge about college hockey. Typical BB guy.

Reaction Score
He's a goof with a bad take. This is the situation:

We are perceived as institutionally inept losers in football. Countless decisions since our former coach dreamed-jobbed us have been tragic - PP, GDL, Bobby Fishcake, ConFLiCT, Dream-Job 2.0, national champs of the COVID skip season, worst defense in FBS history, leaving a conference at the expense of football to save hoops, not hiring a DC, etc. etc. etc. Plus, we have been left at the P5/P4 alter very publicly way too many times because we are so terrible at football. It's a catch-22. If we win in football, we will get into a real conference. However, we can't win in football because we are not in a real conference.

The solution is to INVEST in football. We must allocate more money to coaching so we can get a DC and a new OC. We have to develop a cutting edge NIL program so that kids will WANT to play here. If we do that, we will start winning. Winning solves a LOT of problems.

We CHOSE to go independent which even if that move was misinterpreted was viewed as a self demotion.

Then we CHOSE to not even play football in 2020, and even if there were some regulatory barriers it still sent a signal that we didn’t care.

And we still suck. We lost to a team this season that borrows pads from another school.

If we want to be taken seriously then we need consistent leadership, learn from our mistakes and pay our dues.

Now that basketball is safe and we torpedoed the football program I sometimes wonder if the right move might be to get into any league and prove we can get it done there. It’s not something I am totally sold on but it’s something to consider.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We CHOSE to go independent which even if that move was misinterpreted was viewed as a self demotion.

Then we CHOSE to not even play football in 2020, and even if there were some regulatory barriers it still sent a signal that we didn’t care.

And we still suck. We lost to a team this season that borrows pads from another school.

If we want to be taken seriously then we need consistent leadership, learn from our mistakes and pay our dues.

Now that basketball is safe and we torpedoed the football program I sometimes wonder if the right move might be to get into any league and prove we can get it done there. It’s not something I am totally sold on but it’s something to consider.
Absolutely not. The only two leagues that we could potentially get a football-only invite to are the MAC and CUSA, and both would likely negotiate a 2 or 4 game basketball package every year. Also, while both are technically eligible for the CFP, we both know the 5th spot will go to a MW/AAC/Sun Belt champ 95% of the time. You think things are bad now; wait until we go 13-0 in the MAC and don't make the playoff (behind a two loss MW or AAC champ).

What we are doing (scheduling 4-5 P4 H/H series a year + regional G5s) is the way to go. Our SOS is similar to an average MW or AAC team. If we miraculously go 12-0 as an independent (especially in a year playing 5 P4 opponents), we would have a legitimate case as an at-large vs. a 3-loss SEC or B1G team.

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. The only two leagues that we could potentially get a football-only invite to are the MAC and CUSA, and both would likely negotiate a 2 or 4 game basketball package every year. Also, while both are technically eligible for the CFP, we both know the 5th spot will go to a MW/AAC/Sun Belt champ 95% of the time. You think things are bad now; wait until we go 13-0 in the MAC and don't make the playoff (behind a two loss MW or AAC champ).

What we are doing (scheduling 4-5 P4 H/H series a year + regional G5s) is the way to go. Our SOS is similar to an average MW or AAC team. If we miraculously go 12-0 as an independent (especially in a year playing 5 P4 opponents), we would have a legitimate case as an at-large vs. a 3-loss SEC or B1G team.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Reaction Score

I don’t mean to be rude but this is a really bad take. You are completely discounting everything that is important about being in a conference. The goal isn’t solely making the playoffs. Conferences help with recruiting, consistency, a measuring stick to grade ourselves against YOY, a regular season championship to play for, a conference title game to play for, the list goes on and on. Independence is a death sentence.

Reaction Score
This was a strange opinion piece. It is basically advocating for FB to get into a G5 conference and to let it suffer from benign neglect going forward. Minimal investment to keep it going. The implication is that all the focus for all resources should be on BB (and perhaps hockey.) Sports that people care about in the northeast. That no one really cares about FB in the northeast and none of the powers are really interested in this part of the country. Consider this piece the first shot in the coming war at UConn for the soul of the Athletic Department.

I had an interesting private discussion with Pudge shortly after HCJM was named to his post. I had noted that his age was very similar to that of both HCPP and HCRE2.0 when they got the job. Pudge was a guy very passionate about northeastern football and took vociferous exception to my post. My point to him privately is that UConn was in a do or die situation at the time and if HCJM was the wrong hire, in five years the program would be stepping back to FCS. He actually agreed with that, but said that I was wrong about the HCJM hire. And it did not take long for me to come around on HCJM. But the point is that UConn is back to where it was two years ago struggling to get above 1-11 on the season with only two realistic opportunities to get there this year. Now the turn around has got to be accomplished in three years instead of five.

Now I happen to think that this year was more a case of shattered expectations, that the coaching staff should have been much more cautious about what they told recruits and portal transfers that ultimately did not come true. The kids thought they were gonna get amply compensated soon and suddenly they all realized they were wasting their time in Storrs. But lets be really clear, that opinion piece was the first salvo in the war on UConn football from within. If you have ever worked for a large corporation and witnessed the competition for CAPEX play out -- well, this is the functional equivalent at a University. And no matter the competing business cases, the side with the most advocates wins. I have seen this happen very close to the Rent, in fact. And a G5 conference membership for football only, with attending neglect, is the functional equivalent of stepping back to FCS without actually saying it.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I don’t mean to be rude but this is a really bad take. You are completely discounting everything that is important about being in a conference. The goal isn’t solely making the playoffs. Conferences help with recruiting, consistency, a measuring stick to grade ourselves against YOY, a regular season championship to play for, a conference title game to play for, the list goes on and on. Independence is a death sentence.
CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt schools are not our peers. Also, playing 4-5 P4 opponents a year is a higher level than playing in the MAC, CUSA, or Sun Belt. We would be downgrading our schedules (and therefore our relative standing).

Reaction Score
CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt schools are not our peers. Also, playing 4-5 P4 opponents a year is a higher level than playing in the MAC, CUSA, or Sun Belt. We would be downgrading our schedules (and therefore our relative standing).
How are g5 schools not our peers? We literally lose to USF and FIU. We get bodied by every single P5 school besides maybe BC occasionally. We are a bad football team. No way around it. We can’t pretend we’re better than anyone because we’re simply not. Conferences provide enormous benefit. Independent doesn’t.

Reaction Score
This was a strange opinion piece. It is basically advocating for FB to get into a G5 conference and to let it suffer from benign neglect going forward. Minimal investment to keep it going. The implication is that all the focus for all resources should be on BB (and perhaps hockey.) Sports that people care about in the northeast. That no one really cares about FB in the northeast and none of the powers are really interested in this part of the country. Consider this piece the first shot in the coming war at UConn for the soul of the Athletic Department.

I had an interesting private discussion with Pudge shortly after HCJM was named to his post. I had noted that his age was very similar to that of both HCPP and HCRE2.0 when they got the job. Pudge was a guy very passionate about northeastern football and took vociferous exception to my post. My point to him privately is that UConn was in a do or die situation at the time and if HCJM was the wrong hire, in five years the program would be stepping back to FCS. He actually agreed with that, but said that I was wrong about the HCJM hire. And it did not take long for me to come around on HCJM. But the point is that UConn is back to where it was two years ago struggling to get above 1-11 on the season with only two realistic opportunities to get there this year. Now the turn around has got to be accomplished in three years instead of five.

Now I happen to think that this year was more a case of shattered expectations, that the coaching staff should have been much more cautious about what they told recruits and portal transfers that ultimately did not come true. The kids thought they were gonna get amply compensated soon and suddenly they all realized they were wasting their time in Storrs. But lets be really clear, that opinion piece was the first salvo in the war on UConn football from within. If you have ever worked for a large corporation and witnessed the competition for CAPEX play out -- well, this is the functional equivalent at a University. And no matter the competing business cases, the side with the most advocates wins. I have seen this happen very close to the Rent, in fact. And a G5 conference membership for football only, with attending neglect, is the functional equivalent of stepping back to FCS without actually saying it.
We aren’t back to where we were. We aren’t losing to G5s by 35 points.

Reaction Score

We can’t compete or recruit at a P4 level and haven’t been able to. Our level is the CUSA, MAC etc.

Most Sun Belts would run over us. Those schools are passionate about football and have the leadership to back it up.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
We can’t compete or recruit at a P4 level and haven’t been able to. Our level is the CUSA, MAC etc.

Most Sun Belts would run over us. Those schools are passionate about football and have the leadership to back it up.
Our level is the AAC, MW. We can't get into either so we stay independent.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
How are g5 schools not our peers? We literally lose to USF and FIU. We get bodied by every single P5 school besides maybe BC occasionally. We are a bad football team. No way around it. We can’t pretend we’re better than anyone because we’re simply not. Conferences provide enormous benefit. Independent doesn’t.
We are a state flagship, not a state directional. They are not our peers. Our peers are other state flagships and major private schools. FIU and Georgia State (whether they beat us or not) are not our peers.

Reaction Score

The Sun Belt is better than the AAC.

We’re one win football team who lost to a team that borrows its pads. We are a bottom 10 program. You’re out of your mind.

Reaction Score
A distinction without a difference. UConn will most likely end at 2-10. And even if it is 3-9, that is nonetheless regression rather than progression. Starting over again next year.

You say that all the time and it is a pretty inane comment. There is a big difference.

Before we were were talentless and uncompetitive.

We’re losing these games by one score and unlike Edsall they are playing the best players available.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

I agree. I would rather keep scheduling interesting teams as an indy than play MAC or CUSA teams. The key to success is WINNING! We must invest more money in football. We need to pay for decent OC, DC, ST coaches. We MUST get NIL running like a Rolex so players get $$$ for playing here. Players want NIL $ and perks more than anything else.

Reaction Score

And to point out your stupidity.

Tulane is in a conference with a bunch of “non peers”.

UCF, Houston and Cincy were “below” us according to UConn fans. And people used to moan because playing Tulsa made us sad.

The stupidity of this is that you can’t think like that unless you are beating these teams.

Tulane will be more appealing to the ACC than us when the next chair opens up.

It’s also foolish to celebrate having all these P5s on the schedule and we can’t even compete with them. We couldn’t even beat Army and Ball State last year.

I see some risks joining one of these but it’s not like we are in an ideal spot at the moment.

Reaction Score
A distinction without a difference. UConn will most likely end at 2-10. And even if it is 3-9, that is nonetheless regression rather than progression. Starting over again next year.
4 losses of 7 points or less and a win over a Rice team that gave Tulane all they can handle is more of a situation of the ball just not bouncing their way this year. Last year it bounced their way and six wins was the result. A couple of those games go your way this year you’re looking at a possible 6 or 7 win season again. I think the problem is last years “success” tricked people into thinking UConn was suddenly good. Year 3 definitely needs to see improvement, but this team is much more capable top to bottom than what the last three coaches have put out there.

Reaction Score
4 losses of 7 points or less and a win over a Rice team that gave Tulane all they can handle is more of a situation of the ball just not bouncing their way this year. Last year it bounced their way and six wins was the result. A couple of those games go your way this year you’re looking at a possible 6 or 7 win season again. I think the problem is last years “success” tricked people into thinking UConn was suddenly good. Year 3 definitely needs to see improvement, but this team is much more capable top to bottom than what the last three coaches have put out there.

Great points.

Tbh I don’t see much of a difference in quality between this year and last year as far as UConn goes.

I wish we still had Burns and Turner.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Great points.

Tbh I don’t see much of a difference in quality between this year and last year as far as UConn goes.

I wish we still had Burns and Turner.
I agree with you on this. We played a better schedule this year-which I am fine with. That left us less room for error, but I don’t blame anyone-we blew it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom