Has Diamond D. been granted her release by UNC? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Has Diamond D. been granted her release by UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
I doubt very seriously that Sylvia would ever release to her to South Carolina,

since it is one of her prime recruiting grounds.

Reaction Score
How does anyone know how much money they have? The dad could have invested very poorly and lost all of it. He wouldn't be the first pro player to have gone through all of his money.
How does anyone know how much money they have? The dad could have invested very poorly and lost all of it. He wouldn't be the first pro player to have gone through all of his money.
Yes, it's not how much you make, it's how much you make vs. how much you spend. Some broke folks: Pamela Anderson, Jose Canseco, Dionne Warwick, MC hammer, a bunch of lottery winners. Conversely, I had an uncle who never made more than minimum wage his whole life and died an honest multi-millionaire.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

The magic of the internet. There's plenty of stories on the guy. He might not have a ton himself, but that's only because of his divorce. The money stayed in Diamond's family (with the mom). Delino didn't waste his money, he just hung out with his kids.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
"Homesick" was once a recognizable disease/illness to be treated. As such, it isn't really about distance quantifiable in km or this or that. There is a question of groundedness, belongingness, etc. People who you meet and play with from the time you were 7 y.o are called/referred to as friends until you and them are together over a year. It is possible these individuals- while good friends in the virtual world may leave much to be desire in the world of flesh and blood. I remember my mother giving me an advice that I have kept with me since my teenage days and relationships. After intro her to my new girlfriend- Bev, she asked about the former and I said something to the effect that I met Bev and everything just clicked. Her response: what will you do when you meet Joan and things also click. As they did with Helle! Anytime I hear a player saying that they want to go and play with this and that person rather then a program/school I get out my worrying beads.
I doubt very seriously that Sylvia would ever release to her to South Carolina,

since it is was one of her prime recruiting grounds.

There, I fixed it for you. :D

Reaction Score
I don't think she has to finish the semester in order to talk to other schools, i think she just has to be released from her scholarship in order to talk to other schools. If she is not released from her scholarship and other colleges try to get in contact with her it could be a NCAA violation of some sort

If I understand it right. She has too finish the semester at UNC. Then she can talk too any school. So there is nothing confirmed only rumors.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't think she has to finish the semester in order to talk to other schools, i think she just has to be released from her scholarship in order to talk to other schools. If she is not released from her scholarship and other colleges try to get in contact with her it could be a NCAA violation of some sort

Players will often use intermediaries (HS coach/AAU coach) to contact other schools, particularly when they are transferring after the first semester. For example, Samarie Walker told the UConn staff she wanted to leave UConn and wasn't interested in playing basketball anymore and the very next day announced she was transferring to Kentucky to play basketball. She enrolled two days later. I'm sure Matthew Mitchell spoke truthfully when he said he had no contact with Samarie, but someone reached out to Kentucky on her behalf. That transfer happened too quickly for there not to be some contact between Walker and Kentucky.

The Deshields situation is a little different as she has time to talk to schools after being released but I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some preliminary contact through some intermediary.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
DeShields can go wherever she wants, Uconn will put a Collier around her.
Only if that team every actually makes it to a final 4 to be able to face UCONN... ;)

Reaction Score
By what she writes in her Twitter I'd say she's planning to go to South Carolina.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
By what she writes in her Twitter I'd say she's planning to go to South Carolina.

Wow, that would be a coup. They'd be absolutely stacked, and a serious contender for the title for 3 years.

I'll take Stewie of course. So make that two years. Heh

Reaction Score
IDK, when your family has 10's of millions, you probably don't see it the same way. She'll always have money, basketball or not.

Why would you assume her family has 10's of millions? I know her dad made millions in baseball, however probably 80% or more is gone to taxes, and expenses. Studies show a high percentage of pro athletes retire with a small net worth. Adrian Dantley played 15 years in the NBA, he is now a school crossing guard.

I would think if Diamond had the chance to make a lot of money she would jump at it. I doubt she wants her parents supporting her the rest of her life.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why would you assume her family has 10's of millions? I know her dad made millions in baseball, however probably 80% or more is gone to taxes, and expenses. Studies show a high percentage of pro athletes retire with a small net worth. Adrian Dantley played 15 years in the NBA, he is now a school crossing guard.
I would think if Diamond had the chance to make a lot of money she would jump at it. I doubt she wants her parents supporting her the rest of her life.

Because I read some stories about Delino on the internet. He didn't waste his money. The thing that hurt his finances the most was his divorce. But that money went to DD's mother. Delino has a low paying job instructing in the Minor leagues, but he's doing it because he missed baseball. His ex wife has a good career too.

The % of baseball players who go broke is less than NFL players (though they make less)and NBA guys. You see less "baller" and "entourage" mentality in baseball. Also, one of the reasons you have a lot of broke players, is that the career length in all 3 major sports is less than 5 years. Delino played for 13 years.

Back to Diamond:

People are acting like she wants to go to the pros right away. My point is that she might (probably) prefer to have her college experience, and then make her money. Her making money isn't mutually exclusive, just a matter of timing. In fact, her money making capability will be far superior in a few years.

IMO the pro option would likely be less enticing for someone who doesn't have to worry about scraping by. If the bold point above was Diamond's viewpoint, then it would stand to reason that a number of other girls would feel the same. Very few do, and even they stay for 3 years or so (eg Cappie and Parker).

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm wondering why folks think she has a chance at making $500K in the pros. That's top dog, well known, rep-based money. On top of that, she's identified being homesick (a red flag for international teams) and she hasn't had extensive experience playing against international pros. It's likely she'd been overwhelmed....

Seems to me this is a story about being unhappy with a particular college experience - not about being unhappy at having to have the college experience.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I'm wondering why folks think she has a chance at making $500K in the pros. That's top dog, well known, rep-based money. On top of that, she's identified being homesick (a red flag for international teams) and she hasn't had extensive experience playing against international pros. It's likely she'd been overwhelmed....

Seems to me this is a story about being unhappy with a particular college experience - not about being unhappy at having to have the college experience.

Maybe, but consider her own words re: Andrew Wiggins...

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...s-freshman-diamond-deshields-decides-transfer

"If that was an option for women, I could see myself doing that," DeShields said. "Andrew is having a blast in college, I'm sure, but he has a family he wants to provide for and things he wants to do that he can do in a couple more months if he just signs his name on a line and plays basketball."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maybe, but consider her own words re: Andrew Wiggins...

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...s-freshman-diamond-deshields-decides-transfer

"If that was an option for women, I could see myself doing that," DeShields said. "Andrew is having a blast in college, I'm sure, but he has a family he wants to provide for and things he wants to do that he can do in a couple more months if he just signs his name on a line and plays basketball."
Big difference between jumping to the NBA and making many millions while living in the states and for a 19 year old moving to Europe or China to make 500K.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Big difference between jumping to the NBA and making many millions while living in the states and for a 19 year old moving to Europe or China to make 500K.

Well, just sayin what she was sayin...I only know what I read.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's misleading: you've worded it to seem as if Dantley is a school crossing guard because he's broke and needs the money, NOT because it simply gives him something to do with his time, and that he's actually just as notoriously frugal with his money as he's always been (it was legendary during his time as a player in the NBA), and that after 15 yrs as a player, and 7 as an asst. coach, he's still a millionaire.....

Now that you mention it, I remember reading a story about that. I didn't remember it was AD though. The kids love him.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
When do you think she knew where she was going? That's an interesting part of the saga, too.
Someone posted on Cockytalk today that A'ja said UCONN was her 2nd choice, followed by UT and UNC. She inferred in her press conference that the decision was made within a couple of days of her announcement. I think her parents were glad that she's staying close to home. If I'm not mistaken, her dad is in his 60's, so a ton of travel might have been a little bit tough.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Someone posted on roosterytalk today that A'ja said UCONN was her 2nd choice, followed by UT and UNC. She inferred in her press conference that the decision was made within a couple of days of her announcement. I think her parents were glad that she's staying close to home. If I'm not mistaken, her dad is in his 60's, so a ton of travel might have been a little bit tough.
Someone in their sixties has travel issues?

You're killin' me, leghorn.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Someone in their sixties has travel issues?

You're killin' me, leghorn.
If you have to travel 800 miles to see a game? Maybe. Did I hit a nerve, DD? I'm no spring chicken, myself. (pun intended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom