Has Diamond D. been granted her release by UNC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Has Diamond D. been granted her release by UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I never said the Yard despises DD (that was just a DT comment to make a point), but you can look through her transfer thread and see the unnecessary character judgments. Obviously not going to bring them over here. One of the themes was seeing a freshman's style of play and brashness, and assume she'd be a cancer.

I'm fully aware that my statements wouldn't include everyone on the Yard and were generalization. Take it as "a significant number of posters". No description encompasses an entire group of people.

For instance, I thought everything you said was pretty on point, including the "bloom" comment. I just think it would be no problem for a coach to get past that.
I think there is probably not a school that would hang up on her, but I also think there are probably a number of schools that after talking would respectfully decline. Bringing in a transfer can disrupt team chemistry, especially if it displaces a very good player already on the team. As a coach you have to balance those considerations with adding a very talented player to your roster for less than 4 years, and you also have to consider the level of commitment to a new program, the style of play, etc. There is a reason that some coaches recruit anyone and everyone and others like Geno are much more selective, and that selectiveness goes up with the reduction of year (s) of eligibility.
ND for example has a great sophomore guard in Loyd and a very good freshman PG in Allen - bringing DD into that team would add talent but might create chemistry issues and stunt those two players development.
Uconn - same situation with the incoming freshman class
USC - not sure, but they have I believe 14 scholarship players next year and 2 walk-ons and a lot of talent already. Is the talent worth the displacement of the current team order?
That is what I meant when I said I didn't think every school would be willing to take her if she wanted to go there, and that is not being privy to possible 'distrust' built into the reasons DD is leaving UNC - if it is homesickness for example, then would a school in TX feel comfortable that they would solve that issue for her, and why?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You are probably right. Sometimes my posts are a horse to high for even me to ride.

Nobodies posts are tread the line perfectly. That very much includes mine.

Just it case it didn't translate "on point" meant "spot on".

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think there is probably not a school that would hang up on her, but I also think there are probably a number of schools that after talking would respectfully decline. Bringing in a transfer can disrupt team chemistry, especially if it displaces a very good player already on the team. As a coach you have to balance those considerations with adding a very talented player to your roster for less than 4 years, and you also have to consider the level of commitment to a new program, the style of play, etc. There is a reason that some coaches recruit anyone and everyone and others like Geno are much more selective, and that selectiveness goes up with the reduction of year (s) of eligibility.
ND for example has a great sophomore guard in Loyd and a very good freshman PG in Allen - bringing DD into that team would add talent but might create chemistry issues and stunt those two players development.
Uconn - same situation with the incoming freshman class
USC - not sure, but they have I believe 14 scholarship players next year and 2 walk-ons and a lot of talent already. Is the talent worth the displacement of the current team order?
That is what I meant when I said I didn't think every school would be willing to take her if she wanted to go there, and that is not being privy to possible 'distrust' built into the reasons DD is leaving UNC - if it is homesickness for example, then would a school in TX feel comfortable that they would solve that issue for her, and why?

Yes, you are right on that last point. I was more speaking to her playing ability and the person in the locker room that goes along with that. A coach would have to be leary about the homesickness thing.

FWIW, I think Muffett would take her hands down. It's very much an arms race with UCONN, and she seems closer to the desperate than not (given her actions/statements in this year's tournament).

I also think Geno would take her (but can understand why others think not), if she answered his questions to his satisfaction. That said, I wouldn't be overly surprised if he turned her down.

Reaction Score
That's sort of what I was implying; they don't even have to lie though, just work the system. It's clear UCONN didn't think it was a big deal, because they were given a warning, and didn't really address the situation.

Not true at all. UConn knew they were facing major penalties but couldn't do much about it because a number of players left school with terrible grades and while academically ineligible. Some never belonged in college in the first place.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Chemistry is a big issue and only coaches can try to evaluate how any player might affect it.

It shouldn't be any surprise that some folks that had bad reps with outsiders at Rutgers were, from all reports, model teammates, while others that didn't create any public stirs were, at least in supposedly knowledgeable circles, considered locker room problems.

The most I'll say is that the coach has to consider the chemistry issues as well as the playing style, etc. After all, not everyone actually recruited her before she came to college, either, and I don't think they were all that lacking in talent assessment.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not true at all. UConn knew they were facing major penalties but couldn't do much about it because a number of players left school with terrible grades and while academically ineligible. Some never belonged in college in the first place.

They had no idea the rules would be changed and they'd be retroactively banned, in a double jeopardy fashion no less. That stuff didn't even exist at the time of the warning. It should have been the loss of the 2 scholarships at most.

What killed them was guys almost graduated and went to try pro careers instead (a la Gavin Edwards who had 2 classes left but went to play semipro ball).

And who didn't belong in college? That's pretty arrogant. Maybe Nate Miles, but he wasn't part of the APR mess anyway. Some of them didn't belong at a major program, and struggled as a result. Just because they struggle, doesn't mean they don't belong somewhere. Most transferred to other schools and did fine.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought a kid is allowed to contact other schools when she leaves the school and decides to transfer, either herself or an intermediary (?). Other schools cannot initiate contact though. Maybe the current school has to give permission idr. Has Diamond even left the Chapel Hill campus?

I don't agree with the bold. Any school in America would be absolutely thrilled to have her. I think this board's bias is getting in the way of reality here.
That was not the situation at PSU following the midnight massacre. Kids were not allowed to contact other schools without first being released.

Reaction Score
Wait, you want to stop the conversation, but then give me one last parting shot? :)

What's wrong with "uppity"? Perfect descriptor in this case. I would actually put it differently: it's an "our sh_t don't stink" mentality, but "uppity" captures the sentiment more succinctly and with more decorum.

On DD, I agree. In the end, only time will tell.
Uppity was (and probably still is behind closed doors) very often used in the South to describe blacks who didn't "know their place." It was often followed by the N word.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They had no idea the rules would be changed and they'd be retroactively banned, in a double jeopardy fashion no less. That stuff didn't even exist at the time of the warning. It should have been the loss of the 2 scholarships at most.

What killed them was guys almost graduated and went to try pro careers instead (a la Gavin Edwards who had 2 classes left but went to play semipro ball).

And who didn't belong in college? That's pretty arrogant. Maybe Nate Miles, but he wasn't part of the APR mess anyway. Some of them didn't belong at a major program, and struggled as a result. Just because they struggle, doesn't mean they don't belong somewhere. Most transferred to other schools and did fine.
What I found interesting to discover reading about the UNC issues is: at the same time they created this new criteria for 'grading' academic performance and applying it retroactively, they also completely abolished any minimum standard for athlete eligibility to get a scholarship. This allows schools with no conscience to give scholarships to any student that gets a HS diploma many of which are meaningless. And once enrolled to be given a course load of advanced macramé, dance for dummies, and weight room technique to maintain a few years of academic eligibility until they leave for pro ball. UNC and i suspect a number of other really ambitious universities even designed whole departments to administer nonexistent classes, and when even these courses proved to difficult, to find administrators willing to alter grades.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Regarding the prohibition of schools talking to another team's players. My recollection is that after Geno released Walker, she almost immediately enrolled at Kentucky. This is pure speculation on my part but I've always had the impression that she must have talked with the school before making the final decision to cut ties with UConn. Other's thoughts and recollections?

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Uppity was (and probably still is behind closed doors) very often used in the South to describe blacks who didn't "know their place." It was often followed by the N word.
News to me, I'll be happy to not use the word (not exactly common), but that wasn't the connotation that I heard it in growing up. Of course, I didn't grow up in the south or an environment with that kind of racism in it.

OTH, I think the whole thing is absurd that words that are absolutely not inherently racist become sensitive issues. I remember a classic case of "sounds like" that came from a completely different root that had a long history of use and never applied to, nor was used, in relation to race, but we were cautioned not to use the word as folks "thought" it was racist. And do you know, it has been so long since I thought about the word that I don't remember what it was and presumably don't use it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Regarding the prohibition of schools talking to another team's players. My recollection is that after Geno released Walker, she almost immediately enrolled at Kentucky. This is pure speculation on my part buy I've always had the impression that she must have talked with the school before making the final decision to cut ties with UConn. Other's thoughts and recollections?
"Prohibited" and "actually happens" can both be true. There are some long-standing rumors about certain coaches, especially certain coaches that seem to accumulate transfers rather frequently. Also, one the Rutgers players that transferred a few years ago was rather broadly rumored to have been in touch with an assistant coach at a school where the head coach ultimately backed off, supposedly over fear of issues being raised. And that was from generally solid sources.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Interesting, I didn't realize that. I mean I'd heard it, but I've also heard it used in a bunch of different contexts. I hear it used with regards to a lot of rich folks. Obviously, I didn't mean it like that. I'll use "sh_t don't stink next time"!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What I found interesting to discover reading about the UNC issues is: at the same time they created this new criteria for 'grading' academic performance and applying it retroactively, they also completely abolished any minimum standard for athlete eligibility to get a scholarship. This allows schools with no conscience to give scholarships to any student that gets a HS diploma many of which are meaningless. And once enrolled to be given a course load of advanced macramé, dance for dummies, and weight room technique to maintain a few years of academic eligibility until they leave for pro ball. UNC and i suspect a number of other really ambitious universities even designed whole departments to administer nonexistent classes, and when even these courses proved to difficult, to find administrators willing to alter grades.

Hey, at least they learned something in those classes. Better than those non existent ones!

As to the points in your post: without question. I posted this somewhere else but can't remember if it was the men's board or not: At UK, the pro prospect basketball players don't even stay on campus after basketball season. They go to another city (state even->TX) to train and get ready for the pros. Ostensibly, they take online "classes" and "independent study" courses. And UK's APR beat Harvard's for a few years there!

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
News to me, I'll be happy to not use the word (not exactly common), but that wasn't the connotation that I heard it in growing up. Of course, I didn't grow up in the south or an environment with that kind of racism in it.

OTH, I think the whole thing is absurd that words that are absolutely not inherently racist become sensitive issues. I remember a classic case of "sounds like" that came from a completely different root that had a long history of use and never applied to, nor was used, in relation to race, but we were cautioned not to use the word as folks "thought" it was racist. And do you know, it has been so long since I thought about the word that I don't remember what it was and presumably don't use it.

I went to school in the south, and I never heard it. But that's fine, I can go with the flow, though I agree with your second point.

Reaction Score
. . . I remember a classic case of "sounds like" that came from a completely different root that had a long history of use and never applied to, nor was used, in relation to race, but we were cautioned not to use the word as folks "thought" it was racist . . .

I suspect the word you're looking for is "niggardly" (stingy). A professor at my
school used it once and came to a lot of grief as a consequence. :(

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thread-Direction.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I suspect the word you're looking for is "niggardly" (stingy). A professor at my
school used it once and came to a lot of grief as a consequence. :(
That is a standard word from Scandinavian languages from Old Norse hnoggr.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I guess that, since she was spotted with her mom cleaning out her dorm room, she has dropped out in mid-semester. Does that further complicate her situation, and, if so, how?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I guess that, since she was spotted with her mom cleaning out her dorm room, she has dropped out in mid-semester. Does that further complicate her situation, and, if so, how?
Don't really think so in terms of transferring - she would end up with incompletes as grades and lose a half year of college credits, but it doesn't really change the eligibility or the NCAA rules situation. If she really has dropped out 2/3rds of the way through a semester, she must really be miserable and it actually speaks well of her that she could keep playing at a high level if the personal side of school was so dreadful. Where is the clearing out coming from as I hadn't seen that in the stories I read.

Reaction Score
In her column, Mechelle Voepel makes a case for the homesickness angle. IF that is the
case, then Tennessee makes no sense, and Bill's guess becomes more plausible.

Knoxville is 3 hrs from Atlanta. (As is Columbia SC and Tuscaloosa AL.) Certainly closer than Chapel Hill.

Auburn and Athens are closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger