Has Diamond D. been granted her release by UNC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has Diamond D. been granted her release by UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After the UCONN 'example', no major school will fall afoul of the APR ever again. It is an accounting measure. It won't even be relevant, as departments will be sure to collect the necessary points.
Or just continue to lie like they have been for many years...

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I thought a kid is allowed to contact other schools when she leaves the school and decides to transfer, either herself or an intermediary (?). Other schools cannot initiate contact though. Maybe the current school has to give permission idr. Has Diamond even left the Chapel Hill campus?

I don't agree with the bold. Any school in America would be absolutely thrilled to have her. I think this board's bias is getting in the way of reality here.

Possibly. However, a head coach, ill or not, that does not know a player is transferring may take the bloom off the thrill for others.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If anyone is advising her to go into prof. ball directly after her freshamn year, thet are not being wise on so many levels. No one is going to hire a kid who was homesick over a few hundred miles....

Im hoping she sticks to college ball.... And gets an education. Wbball is not a money pot... Gotta plan beyond 32yrs old....

I agree with the sticking to college ball sentiment, in that people would be leary to hire her. Also, her game is yet to be developed into a dominant force. And make no mistake, DD's going to become a very good player at some point.

But she'll probably make more money overseas than any job she could get in the private sector (including top paying jobs like a surgeon). China is probably going to become the new cash machine for players. Griner making $600,000 (iirc) for 4 months work. You'll become a millionaire at that rate, even if you make half of that. Add in the fact that her family is very wealthy; She can get her degree at any point.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Any school in America would be absolutely thrilled to have her. I think this board's bias is getting in the way of reality here.

Thank you for contributing your dose of reality to this board.

Really?:rolleyes:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Or just continue to lie like they have been for many years...

That's sort of what I was implying; they don't even have to lie though, just work the system. It's clear UCONN didn't think it was a big deal, because they were given a warning, and didn't really address the situation. I always bring up UK, because they are so blatant about it, but their prospect don't even reside at UK at the end of basketball season. They usually go to another state (TX) to train for the pros. They ostensibly take online classes and 'independent studies' classes. Right.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thank you for contributing your dose of reality to this board.

Really?:rolleyes:

Yes really. She's one of the best freshman in America, probably the most dynamic. The only school in America that could even afford to turn her down would be UCONN. It's not like she can't be developed.

People here are rather uppity about what they think is proper decorum for an athlete. There's an element of arrogance where UCONN can do no wrong. It's quite easily noticeable. Just look at all the judgement in the DD thread; heck it had to be locked down. Another example, they torched Parker as selfish. Angel McCoughtry was killed for her brashness.

I still maintain that my favorite WCBB athlete ever, Diana Taurasi, would be absolutely despised, and excoriated, by the Boneyard were she to have played at another (especially rival) school.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Will this count against the APR score for UNC? Serious question...not trying to start any bashting. But after UConn's penalty, makes me think this is the kind of thing that will hurt UNC's APR.
If their recent academic scandal didn't hurt it, I doubt this will. UNC is one of the NCAA's darlings who can do no wrong.

Reaction Score
Thanks
If a player transfers to another school, the NCAA mandates that she sit out one year. Some, but not all, conferences tack on another year if the player transfers within the conference, therefore the player would have to sit out two years in certain circumstances. A coach can release the player unconditionally and therefore waive the second year, as Geno did when Kia Wright left UConn to go to St. John's (the NYC kid was very homesick).

If a girl is granted a release, she sits out the NCAA mandated year but is on scholarship and can practice with the team. If she is not granted a release, she may leave the school but must sit out the year without a scholarship. I'm not sure what happens to the second year if she transfers within a conference - I think each conference has its own rules.

As far as I know, current rules only allow students whose schools have received the death penalty to transfer to another Div I school and play immediately (I could be wrong on this, though). If a player goes to a Div II or III school, she can play right away. The NCAA is contemplating a hardship exception but it isn't in effect yet.

I hope that helps.
Thanks Nan, much appreciated. Ncaa is very confusing. I was always under impression that athletes were guaranteed access to food while at school also.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I still maintain that my favorite WCBB athlete ever, Diana Taurasi, would be absolutely despised, and excoriated, by the Boneyard were she to have played at another (especially rival) school.

And they would have loved Geno in Knoxville, had he coached there. Sure.

But she played here and he coaches here, so I guess we remain free to hypothesize.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And they would have loved Geno in Knoxville, had he coached there. Sure.

But she played here and he coaches here, so I guess we remain free to hypothesize.

Sure, we can hypothesize. Why not? Half the fun of message boards.

There is nothing wronging with critiquing (checking) yourself for your own behavior. Nan even felt the need to write a post chastising poster behavior. It is a problem.

I've got no problem with disliking other players and coaches (I do it too). I just think "she is a selfish human being" etc is way over the top.

She's a phenomenal player, and has the chance to be one of the best in college basketball, given the right situation and drive. Every coach would love to have her because it would instantly make their team far better. No different from someone like EDD transferring. You take superlative talents if you can get them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Possibly. However, a head coach, ill or not, that does not know a player is transferring may take the bloom off the thrill for others.

The kid could be flat out unhappy.

Is it the ideal way to leave? Of course not. Another coach would want to know what happened. But answer a few questions to an opposing coach, and a fresh start could be all she needs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
IIRC, not all conferences require the additional year if you transfer to another school within the conference. The Big East did require it; I'm not sure which other conferences do.

The Big East prohibited transfer within the conference - you could not transfer from one Big East school and play football or men's/women's basketball. Those rules carry over to the AAC.

Most other conferences either prohibit transfers or add an additional penalty - the ACC will take a year of eligibility away if you want to transfer between ACC schools.

The SEC is really the only conference where you can transfer between schools and only have to observe the one-year in residence rule.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed watching DD play this season. She reminded me of Diana Taurasi her freshman year. I hope we get to see more of her in the future.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
The kid could be flat out unhappy.

Is it the ideal way to leave? Of course not. Another coach would want to know what happened. But answer a few questions to an opposing coach, and a fresh start could be all she needs.

Sure. She is young, she should have that chance.
I really enjoyed watching DD play this season. She reminded me of Diana Taurasi her freshman year. I hope we get to see more of her in the future.

We live in different worlds. Just sayin...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Big East prohibited transfer within the conference - you could not transfer from one Big East school and play football or men's/women's basketball. Those rules carry over to the AAC.

Most other conferences either prohibit transfers or add an additional penalty - the ACC will take a year of eligibility away if you want to transfer between ACC schools.

The SEC is really the only conference where you can transfer between schools and only have to observe the one-year in residence rule.
I was pretty sure there was only a one year penalty for transferring from one Big East school to another. Kia Wright transferred from UConn to St. John's and Geno waived the one year league penalty.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We live in different worlds. Just sayin...

Ha, I will agree with that one. I didn't get a DT feel at all. Of course, DT did have the support of one of the best rosters women's basketball has ever seen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was pretty sure there was only a one year penalty for transferring from one Big East school to another. Kia Wright transferred from UConn to St. John's and Geno waived the one year league penalty.

That was about a decade ago, no?

Women's hoop was added to the transfer prohibition fairly soon afterwards. You can't even do a 4-2-4 transfer within the Big East/AAC now.

Didn't Wright transfer during the summer session? If she left before being enrolled full-time, that might have helped her avoid the additional year penalty that was in place back in the day. I'm not sure UConn could have waived it had she left in September, but I can't remember when she transferred.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
People here are rather uppity about what they think is proper decorum for an athlete.

We disagree about DD's future and I see no point in sustaining this back-and-forth between us. Time will tell shere she goes and what she does.

Permit one last comment. I suggest that you expunge the term "uppity" from your vocabulary.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That was about a decade ago, no?

Women's hoop was added to the transfer prohibition fairly soon afterwards. You can't even do a 4-2-4 transfer within the Big East/AAC now.
Didn't realize the rule had changed. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Yes really. She's one of the best freshman in America, probably the most dynamic.

Taurasi was despised and excoriated by every rival school +.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We disagree about DD's future and I see no point in sustaining this back-and-forth between us. Time will tell shere she goes and what she does.

Permit one last comment. I suggest that you expunge the term "uppity" from your vocabulary.

Wait, you want to stop the conversation, but then give me one last parting shot? :)

What's wrong with "uppity"? Perfect descriptor in this case. I would actually put it differently: it's an "our sh_t don't stink" mentality, but "uppity" captures the sentiment more succinctly and with more decorum.

On DD, I agree. In the end, only time will tell.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't despise DD...is there a bandwagon here I missed?

I never said the Yard despises DD (that was just a DT comment to make a point), but you can look through her transfer thread and see the unnecessary character judgments. Obviously not going to bring them over here. One of the themes was seeing a freshman's style of play and brashness, and assume she'd be a cancer.

I'm fully aware that my statements wouldn't include everyone on the Yard and were generalization. Take it as "a significant number of posters". No description encompasses an entire group of people.

For instance, I thought everything you said was pretty on point, including the "bloom" comment. I just think it would be no problem for a coach to get past that.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I never said the Yard despises DD (that was just a DT comment to make a point), but you can look through her transfer thread and see the unnecessary character judgments. Obviously not going to bring them over here. One of the themes was seeing a freshman's style of play and brashness, and assume she'd be a cancer.

I'm fully aware that my statements wouldn't include everyone on the Yard and were generalization. Take it as "a significant number of posters". No description encompasses an entire group of people.

For instance, I thought everything you said was pretty on point, including the "bloom" comment. I just think it would be no problem for a coach to get past that.

You are probably right. Sometimes my posts are a horse to high for even me to ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom