Has Conference Realignment at Last Reached a Lull? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Has Conference Realignment at Last Reached a Lull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No way would Nebraska, UMCP or Rutgers leave the B1G. The B1G, PAC and SEC are the premiere conferences when looking at them overall. Contrary to my recent posts about recent B1G football, they will eventually be back. It's all cyclical and one day the B1G will be on top in football (same with SEC and PAC in given decades). UMCP will also be back in basketball and maybe even football again. Remember, UMCP has won a football NC back in the 50s and were good in the Bobby Ross days.

The B1G has been the most calculated in conference realignment. The ACC took Louisville, the B12 took TCU and the island of WVU, the PAC took Utah and the SEC took Mizzou. All rather puzzling moves. Rutgers and UMCP have a large living alumni, are flagships, are ranked well academically, meet the B1G profile, etc. The B1G does their homework. Louisville was a knee-jerk response. As far as the ACC being the old WAC model... I'd agree except the caliber of schools is a bit stronger than the WAC's. To me, the ACC seems like the old Big East with mostly full members sans ND.

I look at the Big Ten as a worthy competitor in basketball, regardless of their recent F4 performances. They are already located in a good recruiting area for basketball. The thing for them is that many bball prospects have ended up at marquee programs outside the Midwest. Now with their move East they are now at least have a chance at getting through to young prospects in the big eastern cities where they didn't have before. I tend to look at the overall value of athletics and recruiting, not just football. All they really need is to have a presence and they'd give us fits.

Once the SEC decided to take in TAMU they needed even numbers for football. Mizzou was taken over WVU because of Mizzou having a better academic reputation among the presidents. If WVU were picked, Mizzou probably would most likely stayed in the B12 or maybe the Big Ten decides to take them to prevent the SEC from doing so. The PAC wanted 12 for the CCG when they couldn't convince Texas and TAMU to come over. Colorado wanted to get away from the B12 badly. When people today talk about the ACC as being like the Big East, what do they mean? What's a "Big East" school? Is it more basketball-focused? VT and Miami have historically focused on football. The ACC didn't take Georgetown. They took programs they believe would benefit them. I think too many people are going by past associations. So the SEC has a B8 school, an ACC school and two SWC schools. And the B1G has a Big 8 school, an ACC school and a Big East school. Are GT, FSU, Louisville and VT still Metro Conference schools? I guess we could all the way back to the Southern Conference and the Middle Three. Bring back Pangaea. ;)

Reaction Score
I look at the Big Ten as a worthy competitor in basketball, regardless of their recent F4 performances.

?. . .At least they participated. The ACC hasn't had a Final Four representative for the past four years. During that time frame the BE led the way followed by the SEC and Big Ten.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When people today talk about the ACC as being like the Big East, what do they mean? What's a "Big East" school? Is it more basketball-focused? VT and Miami have historically focused on football. The ACC didn't take Georgetown. They took programs they believe would benefit them.

It means that there are six Big East schools in the ACC with Notre Dame doing their c--k tease routine somewhere on the periphery.

To answer what is likely your next question, a Big East team is defined as a team that was in the Big East prior to raid one, two, three, four or five.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It means that there are six Big East schools in the ACC with Notre Dame doing their c--k tease routine somewhere on the periphery.

To answer what is likely your next question, a Big East team is defined as a team that was in the Big East prior to raid one, two, three, four or five.
..or maybe a compilation of schools with dissimilar or competing interests.

Reaction Score
What's a "Big East" school?

I'm speaking very very generically about the BEFC. 6 1/2 of the additions since 2004 have been former BEFC schools (including my own). And having a partial member that refuses to play football along with a commuter school ranked 100 spots below the typical ACC school feels dysfunctional and Big East-like.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm speaking very very generically about the BEFC. 6 1/2 of the additions since 2004 have been former BEFC schools (including my own). And having a partial member that refuses to play football along with a commuter school ranked 100 spots below the typical ACC school feels dysfunctional and Big East-like.

ND hasn't "refused to play football" with ACC schools. It is going to play five of them every year.

I love the "partial member" stuff. Legally, ND is a full, voting member of the ACC and plays 24 of its 26 sports in the ACC. Only football and hockey (Hockey East) plays outside the conference. The ACC does not sponsor hockey. ND plays five football games a year against ACC teams.

That seems like a full member with football carved out, not a "partial" member. Johns Hopkins is a "partial" member of the Big Ten.

And there is no "c--k tease". ND was up front and adamant with both the Big East and the ACC that if added for other sports, football would NEVER join the conference.

There was never any doubt about that. ND has always up front and fully disclosed this. Two separate conferences voted to add them after this disclosure and guarantee that football membership was off the table.

Reaction Score
ND hasn't "refused to play football" with ACC schools. It is going to play five of them every year.

I love the "partial member" stuff. Legally, ND is a full, voting member of the ACC and plays 24 of its 26 sports in the ACC. Only football and hockey (Hockey East) plays outside the conference. The ACC does not sponsor hockey. ND plays five football games a year against ACC teams.

That seems like a full member with football carved out, not a "partial" member. Johns Hopkins is a "partial" member of the Big Ten.

And there is no "c--k tease". ND was up front and adamant with both the Big East and the ACC that if added for other sports, football would NEVER join the conference.

There was never any doubt about that. ND has always up front and fully disclosed this. Two separate conferences voted to add them after this disclosure and guarantee that football membership was off the table.
I was wondering and waiting for someone and figured it would be you to reply to that weakish part of his post!! I'm a little down even though I'm Irish on ND but respect you're style and class Terry....I hated to post this in a way though because Calamitious is a decent ACC guy compared to the "Arrogant 2" or 3 agenda pushers who are making the ACC look even worse than it already is perceived in these parts for some of the head scratching moves made by leadership!!

Reaction Score
Johns Hopkins is a "partial" member of the Big Ten..

I object... JH is an "affiliate" member of the Big Ten. Therefore the term "partial" should remain reasonable usage in describing ND's "half-wet" situation with the ACC.

Reaction Score

ND fits betters with the current Big East IMO, if being football independent is that critical. Swofford let this happen and you're correct, ND let it be known how this was going to be played. But 5 football games does not make ND even close to being a full member, whether you legally can vote or not. ND is a partial member until they decide they don't need preferential treatment anymore and play 8 conference football games as a full football member.

Reaction Score
I object... JH is an "affiliate" member of the Big Ten. Therefore the term "partial" should remain reasonable usage in describing ND's "half-wet" situation with the ACC.

I agree that JH and ND comparisons are apples and oranges. ND has the ability to join in full, sans hockey. JH does not have that ability and possesses no significant revenue sharing athletic program.

Reaction Score

You speak of the ND scheduling deal with the ACC. What about the no-football schools who somehow had a say on football decisions in the Big East? To be fair, the original BE except for Cuse and Pitt were reluctant to start a football league. However, once they did they shouldn't have complained about football issues while taking football $$$. Even then, they weren't to blame for everything. To me, Cuse tried to have it both ways, playing the football and basketball sides against each other. No school in the old Big East was without blame.

I'm glad the ACC rectified a mistake and brought your school back into the fold but that doesn't mean we became the Big East. "Big East" is basketball-first, small private colleges. The ACC is all sports. We value football and basketball but also soccer, lacrosse, baseball, etc.. Yes, different schools here focus on one or the other but that means each have something that they can offer. There's no reason we should cede any sport to other conferences except those we don't sponsor. Don't let those arrogant midwest yahoos define who we are. They think they should be in the center of the college sports world. Nothing against the Big Ten. It's a historically fine conference but the fans are too obnoxious. Ultra-conservatism at its "best".

Finally, in terms of Louisville, it was a necessary political decision. Maryland wanted to leave and they found someone willing to take them. I would love to have UConn but it wasn't going to be. The good of the conference is above personal feelings.

Reaction Score
You speak of the ND scheduling deal with the ACC. What about the no-football schools who somehow had a say on football decisions in the Big East? To be fair, the original BE except for Cuse and Pitt were reluctant to start a football league. However, once they did they shouldn't have complained about football issues while taking football $. Even then, they weren't to blame for everything. To me, Cuse tried to have it both ways, playing the football and basketball sides against each other. No school in the old Big East was without blame.

I'm glad the ACC rectified a mistake and brought your school back into the fold but that doesn't mean we became the Big East. "Big East" is basketball-first, small private colleges. The ACC is all sports. We value football and basketball but also soccer, lacrosse, baseball, etc.. Yes, different schools here focus on one or the other but that means each have something that they can offer. There's no reason we should cede any sport to other conferences except those we don't sponsor. Don't let those arrogant midwest yahoos define who we are. They think they should be in the center of the college sports world. Nothing against the Big Ten. It's a historically fine conference but the fans are too obnoxious. Ultra-conservatism at its "best".

Finally, in terms of Louisville, it was a necessary political decision. Maryland wanted to leave and they found someone willing to take them. I would love to have UConn but it wasn't going to be. The good of the conference is above personal feelings.
Hey Stimpy good to see you back.

Reaction Score
You speak of the ND scheduling deal with the ACC. What about the no-football schools who somehow had a say on football decisions in the Big East? To be fair, the original BE except for Cuse and Pitt were reluctant to start a football league. However, once they did they shouldn't have complained about football issues while taking football $. Even then, they weren't to blame for everything. To me, Cuse tried to have it both ways, playing the football and basketball sides against each other. No school in the old Big East was without blame.

The ACC is allowing the most arrogant of all "midwest yahoos" define who they are and will be going forward. That you can't or refuse to see that tells me everything I need to know.

Reaction Score
I sure am looking forward to the game of my school with the Irish....always fun and should have the house rocking.

We all either love or hate Notre Dame, but for me a win against the Irish is as sweet as any, save Florida.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I sure am looking forward to the game of my school with the Irish....always fun and should have the house rocking.

We all either love or hate Notre Dame, but for me a win against the Irish is as sweet as any, save Florida.

As you should. I will moss the games against ND. Hopefully, Michigan will replace them with home and homes games with some other powers. I know Oklahoma is scheduled in about 10 years. Tops on my list would be UGA, Texas, and Tennessee. Washington and Stanford would be fun as well.

Reaction Score
I mean, an ACC supporter who posts something like this...

CoastAtlanic said:
When people today talk about the ACC as being like the Big East, what do they mean? What's a "Big East" school?

...has to be touched in the head, correct??

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Beating Notre Dame is no big deal.

It sure feels good, though.

I think upstater is hinting at our undefeated record against Notre Dame. As a result of our domination over ND, I think we're all shocked that we didn't get the same sweetheart deal that ND got from the ACC. :)

Reaction Score
Beating Notre Dame is no big deal.

LOL....Bwa ha ha ha Big Ten fans know better.

Tell that to Michigan State who would have played in the NC except for Notre Dame last year....their only loss (13-1).

Ran the Big Ten but lost to the Irish. But no biggie...LOL

Reaction Score

Interesting that the AAC has completely raided CUSA...seven of the current AAC teams were CUSA within the past two years.

It's just the normal food chain...folks wanting to move up....BE to ACC...CUSA to AAC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is a very pretty paper tiger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom